Dinner tonight - or last night.

msolga

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 02:01 am
That sounds delicious, Kara!
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 06:13 am
It was good, msolga. When I run out of ideas (and interest) after a thousand years of cooking, I just make a salad and pile some protein on top.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:50 am
Last night we had leftover chicken with chiles and onions (the indian recipe I've posted several times before), with cumin/coriander spiced fried potatoes and spinach.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 09:00 am
Even I had chicken. It was a traditional Maharashtrian Chicken Curry with Tandoori chicken drumstricks.

Ummmmmmm Delicious. Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 05:39 pm
Cincinnati chili-

Skyline Chili on angel hair pasta with shredded cheddar and minced onions.
Yeah man!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 07:21 pm
home from shimmy shimmy shake shake class

gonna have melted cheese and black forest ham on whole wheat

and some lemonaaaaade
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 08:05 pm
panzade wrote:
Cincinnati chili-

Skyline Chili on angel hair pasta with shredded cheddar and minced onions.
Yeah man!

That sounds so good! What is Skyline Chili, a brand sold in grocery stores or is that a restaurant?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 05:17 am
Kara wrote:
It was good, msolga. When I run out of ideas (and interest) after a thousand years of cooking, I just make a salad and pile some protein on top.

I might try that approach myself, come Oz summer, Kara. Sounds very healthy, too!

But it being darkest winter here & all .... I thought I'd better get in a pasta fix (haven't had much lately) & a protein fix all in one go, so: penne & (a sort of) Bolognese sauce, using up the the most suitable vegetables at hand. Onions, garlic, a bit of chili, capsicum, carrot even & parsley.... It was surprisingly tasty. Must have been the different variety of passata ("rustica"!) I used. Or a different variety of minced steak. Anyway, not bad at all!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 07:04 am
can o'soup.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 07:12 am
Marinated salmon in a pinapple-sauce (with dill and mushrooms), julienne and buttered potatoes.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 10:45 am
mckenzie wrote:

That sounds so good! What is Skyline Chili, a brand sold in grocery stores or is that a restaurant?

It started out in Cincinnatti as a chain of restaurants. Now you can buy their chili in grocery stores.Try it!

PS It's in the frozen entree section. :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 03:17 pm
Cincy chili is spiced very differently that other chili, with cinnamon holding a fairly dominant position. It is served, oddly, over spaghetti. They have "ways", with each "way" being a topping like cheese, onions, etc. So a 5-way chili would be spaghetti, chili sauce, cheese, onions, and red beans, which are not cooked in the sauce.

It's not my favorite, but it's worth seeking out if you visit the area.

To me, real chili is more like Texas red, made with meat and reconstitued dried red chiles and spices, except I don't mind the addition of beans, preferably whole pintos. Because it is low carb, it should be served in Texas sized bowls.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 04:45 pm
*** dancing ***

Gautam's almost here
Gautam's almost here

*** dancing ***

where to go to eat
where to go to eat

*** dancing ***

*** wearing sparkly things ***

*** dancing ***

Gautam's almost here!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 05:28 pm
Oh, keeno, neato! Be sure and come back and report...

I'm considering making beef enchiladas. It might happen. 99 degrees here today.. I'm still getting used to it, not so much the heat as the timeing of it. Doesn't cool off in the evening as fast as I want it to (spoiled Californian).
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 07:57 pm
panzade, I found their website. Too bad I live in Canada, eh?

All is not lost, though. We'll be in Florida for a several weeks in the winter and there's a restaurant actually not too far from one of the hotels we stay in on the way down, in Sunrise. Better yet, I see it's sold in both Publix and Winn-Dixie. Marathon has both. Yaaaay!
0 Replies

Mintcake

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:05 pm
Oooookay.... Well... this thread has definitely changed from telling people what you had for dinner last night...

So I won't tell you I had Subway:
Meatball.
Mayonnaise.
BBQ sauce
Lettuce
Tomato
Smoked Cheese.
Cucumber.

Same ol' same ol'...

Cool
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:27 pm
Our weather has been so great this spring/summer, our local fruit/veggie season is about 2 weeks ahead of schedule, so tonight we're having marinated, grilled chicken breasts, local new potatoes with sour cream and baby dill, and lots and lots of fresh-picked tender, young yellow wax beans.

I was at the market gardener today and the first of the B.C. peaches had just arrived. Summer is really here!
0 Replies

Mintcake

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:38 pm
Sounds good Kenzie, I'll be over later. Cool
Summer's pretty far away in NZ.... *looks out at the bare trees*...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:43 pm
Well, the enchiladas are baking - I haven't made them in years, and used what was at hand.
What was at hand was some stale (but not dead yet) flour tortillas, something like 3/4lb. of ground beef, one spanish onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, a jar of Merlinda's Blue Ribbon hot green chile salsa. a can of Casa Fiesta mild enchilada sauce, a can of pinto beans, a small can of sliced olives, and a couple of tablespoons of rum (whoa! I saw a recipe that mentioned adding a a couple of tbs. of cognac). and some medium cheddar cheese. I didn't have any fresh cilantro or anything else green except basil and thought, noooo. Well, I do have swiss chard, should have remembered that.

I didn't add more dried red chiles from my hanging chile braid, as it seemed hot enough. I dunno, I've never cooked with such thick flour tortillas. We'll see. In any case as it's enough for a few days' meals, I hope they're not terrible. Next time I'll try different tortillas, maybe corn, maybe leave out the beans, add something green, if only celery, and use fresh anaheim chiles and fresh black olives - there's a small nearby market that has good ones..
0 Replies

Mintcake

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 08:47 pm
Nah it sounds like they'll be pretty okay... Rum eh.... hahaha.
Dunno what's for my dinner tonight, mind.... Confused
Let me know how it goes Osso.
0 Replies