Dinner tonight - or last night.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 06:24 pm
@jcboy,
Mushrooms are a big step (were for me, another story). Glad they went ahead and ate them, excellent.
jcboy

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 06:35 pm
@ossobuco,
I sautéed the mushrooms in butter before putting them in the alfredo sauce, they didn't complain Cool
ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 06:45 pm
@jcboy,
I saute mushrooms often, and, you know me, add stuff, like garlic at the least. But I agree, for the children, easy does it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2015 09:57 am
@ossobuco,
When we were kids, our mother used to toast garlic and gave us one clove each, saying it was good for our health. Probably succeeded in keeping people away from us! LOL
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 05:24 pm
Tonight is going to be an easy dinner. Going to put steaks on the grill, steam some sliced carrots and then I’m making a cheesy smashed baked potatoes from this recipe.

Smashed Potatoes with Cheese
farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 06:00 pm
@jcboy,
last weekend we had some dry aged steaks (delmonicos).
I have to say that aged meat is NOT worth what they charge for it.

Its mostly tender but less flavorful than unaged cuts.

Imagine that every piece of meat was like a filet. Filets are for people who dont have teeth and who dont care for the natural taste of a good hunk of beef.

This is, of course, IMHO.
I went out and found a butcher who sold dry aged beef and, all because of a program with ALton Brown. Thatll teach me.

But we love steaks. just not too big a portion any more.

Tonite for supper we had bowls of chicken corn chowder with great big hunks of corn bread
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 06:12 pm
@farmerman,
Set used to talk about keeping beef in the fridge in some way that over some days made it taste better. I might remember that it was wrapped especially well. Don't trust me re the details - I just remember that it sounded like a good thing to do.
farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 06:27 pm
@ossobuco,
"tasting better" I dont agree with, "making it tender by enzymatic action" yes.

Think road-kill
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 06:58 pm
@farmerman,
I don't know, just saying that was part of an old food thread I've no link to.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 07:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, dinner -
spicy roast chicken, prev cooked, warming in oven; a russet potato and a yam also roasting; an odd coleslaw - savoy cabbage, peas, prev sauteed bok choy greens w/garlic, olive oil/vinegar dressing

There will be leftovers.
FBM

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 09:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Spicy chicken curry. Packaged, not home-made, sadly. Nothing on the side. Still have a couple of kg to drop off my middle.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 09:38 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

"tasting better" I dont agree with, "making it tender by enzymatic action" yes.

Think road-kill

Road-kill is under-rated, IMO.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 04:29 pm
We’re all going out to dinner tonight. Taking the kids to King’s Fish House. They don’t have to order fish their menu has something for everyone.
jcboy

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:22 pm
@jcboy,
We all had something different tonight, well at least daddies did. All I wanted was this Ahi Tuna Salad. The Puerto Rican had the yellowtail and all three of the kids wanted the Chicken Linguine. Now it’s bath and pajama time.

In about two hours they should finally be ready for bed then we can watch a movie on netflix!

http://oi59.tinypic.com/33lfprq.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:36 pm
@jcboy,
chicken linguine - the upscale kid version of mac n cheese

they made a good choice
jcboy

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:42 pm
@ehBeth,
Yep, they all wanted the same thing, I didn't try it but it looked pretty good and they ate their dinner and behaved.

Of course I did order a hurricane with a splash of dark rum on top, that helped me get trough the evening Cool
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 08:46 pm
@jcboy,
Taking three children out for dinner isn't for the faint of heart.

Has everybody adjusted to all of the pets?
jcboy

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 01:11 pm
@ehBeth,
They are but slowly. Smokey the cat has attached himself to Alicia and she calls him her kitty. They don’t pay any attention to the tortoise because she only comes out of that hole in the ground to feed.

Little Alex Martin is getting use to the dogs, he was scared to death of them at first, especially the big one Frankie. He’s fine with them when we’re all in the same room but he won’t be left alone with them, he said Frankie might eat him. Cool

Tonight is Antonio’s turn to choose what we have for dinner and he wants my spaghetti and meatballs so that's what we're having.

I’m off to the market, going to look for a nice roast for Sunday dinner.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 01:26 pm
@jcboy,
aawww, you're such a good mom Smile
---

Made cannellini beans with Italian sausage, spinach and lot of garlic!
(not my picture)
http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2008/jan/images/italian-sausage-stew.jpg
George

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 02:30 pm
Going out to eat tonight to a little Italian place in Reading.

I think I'm gonna have Cioppino al Cartoccio.
(haddock, shrimp, scallops, mussels, clams steamed with olive oil, garlic,
white wine)

Maybe some pinot grigio to wash it down.