Dinner tonight - or last night.

jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 08:43 am
We’re having Mexican food for Easter dinner.

I’m going to make my famous Mexican meatball soup, then a big pot of Mexican style beans.

For the beans I’ll be following this recipe.

Pinto Beans With Mexican-Style Seasonings
ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 10:07 am
@FBM,
I've been learning a lot about the deliciousness of a lot of broths I've previously thought were mmmmmm icky.

Learning new things at this age is a good thing Very Happy especially when it's new deliciousnesses.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 10:08 am
@jcboy,
checking out the recipe

thanks!
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 04:14 pm
@ehBeth,
I "love" Spaghetti Bol. But yesterday shops were closed, I had most ingredients but no onions and only pork mince and if I want something I have to have it, not that I want for much.

Checking la fridge, I found a le(a)k, no seriously I did!!! And so I sliced the le(e)k thinly added sliced mushrooms, pork mince thereafter, salt, pepper and tomato sauce, white wine and cooked the pasta. Ended up tasting better than my original normal recipe!

D agreed, given the bowl left in the fridge was gone, no wait he does that every night that he works and comes home.... Still, he's a stick.. Don't get it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 04:23 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Not doing dinner yet (that'll be chicken and something, maybe toast) but busy busy caramelizing onions... which make me sneeze in the prep time.

http://able2know.org/topic/123197-8#post-3549929
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 06:09 pm
Dinner will be ready in about 40 minutes. My Mexican Meatball soup is almost done and the Mexican style beans have been simmering for 5 hours. I bought some tortilla chips for the soup. Now I’m going to grate a little cheddar cheese to put over the beans. The kids will love it.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/1z3qjc5.jpg

http://oi60.tinypic.com/34dl7xe.jpg
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 02:27 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I've been learning a lot about the deliciousness of a lot of broths I've previously thought were mmmmmm icky.

Learning new things at this age is a good thing Very Happy especially when it's new deliciousnesses.

I may have violated a law yesterday. I boiled chicken in beef broth. Don't tell anyone, 'k?
farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:11 am
@FBM,
we ate like pigs yesterday. We had a trout broil with white asparagus as a "brunch" and then a late suuper of BBQ RIBS. We had a whole rack (of which we each could only eat 3 ribs, and a baked yam and a caeser salad (My first Romaine lettuce was coming in in the hotboxes)

FBM

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:15 am
@farmerman,
You probably didn't realize this, but it's supper time here. Now I gotta go out and buy a rack of ribs. It must be done. And I know exactly where to find them. I passed by them and resisted the urge last week. (Can't find freshwater trout over here, though.)
FBM

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:47 am
@FBM,
I just got back and they just got put in the over, by Thor. Slathered in some Korean marinade that makes a passable BBQ sauce. The countdown to ribs has begun.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 06:10 pm
The Puerto Rican is picking up take out from PF Chang’s for us tonight. Antonio is already a pro using chopsticks so tonight we will be having a little fun with Alicia and Alex Martin teaching them as well. Cool
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 08:39 pm
@jcboy,
Are both kids eating everything you serve?
jcboy

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 07:39 am
@CalamityJane,
Alicia isn’t as finicky as little Alex Martin. There are certain vegetables she doesn’t like, peas and broccoli being two of them but other then that she’s pretty good about eating what we cook.

Now little Alex Martin, that’s a whole other story. He’s always asking to go to McDonalds for dinner. He’s only 3, I think the people who had been raising him pretty much let him eat and do whatever he wanted.

That’s slowing changing.

I’m going to make a beef stroganoff for dinner tonight and he’s going to eat it.

FBM

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 07:44 am
Raw (pre-cooked, really) bacon. Can't do carbs on this diet and couldn't be arsed to re-cook it.

Caveat: This is Korean bacon. Lean-ish. Less fat and sodium than the western variety.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 12:08 pm
I just got back from the market where I picked up everything for tonight’s beef stroganoff. I also decided to make chicken fettuccine alfredo for Sunday’s dinner so I got everything for that as well.

0 Replies

SparkleDanny

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 12:43 pm
Fried Potatoes, Smoked Sausages, SauerKrat
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 01:39 pm
Tonight. Tonight...
sounds like West Side Story, doesn't it.
Well, tonight will be diced already roasted chicken (that had had salt and pepper and turmeric and garlic on it) in a white sauce (primarily half and half cooked down a bit) over linguine. Some mushrooms if I can find sauteed ones in the freezer, or else prev cooked garlicy collard greens; oh wait, there's also sauteed bok choy white stems in the freezer. It'll be a white sauce surprise.

sparkledanny, welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 07:43 pm
@jcboy,
Interesting! Kids learn fast and if they don't get anything else, they'll start eating what's on the table. That's how I did it too! My daughter knew only very basic food items when she first came to me (at age 3), but she was willing to try everything. I used to tell her that she needs only one tablespoon full, if she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to eat it. 99 % she liked immediately.
____

Today, I made Polenta - just simple with garlic, fresh herbs and Parmesan.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2015 07:43 pm
@SparkleDanny,
SparkleDanny wrote:

Fried Potatoes, Smoked Sausages, SauerKrat

This is true German food....are you German?
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2015 06:20 pm
This is my fettuccine alfredo with chicken and sautéed mushrooms I made last night. They ate it and liked it, even the mushrooms. Cool

http://oi62.tinypic.com/211ru6o.jpg