Dinner tonight - or last night.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 02:38 pm
@George,
picked up these to grill tonight

http://www.marcangelofoods.com/products/burgers/#three-pepper-bacon-pork-burgers

http://marcangelofoods.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/mobile-bacon-burger.jpg

they'll be nice with caesar salad
jcboy

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 02:52 pm
I found a nice roast for Sunday dinner tomorrow, and at the bakery I also found a chocolate French silk pie for dessert tonight. They can have some after they finish all their dinner.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2ymzp1w.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 03:23 pm
@CalamityJane,
My kind of meal, CJane! Except the spinach selection is dreadful at my market so I've gradually turned to greens of other kinds. Whatever they have and looks fresh - kale, sure, but also mustard greens, collards, turnip greens, bok choy greens and white stems, chard if they ever have it. Yes to garlic.. sometimes roasted sweet peppers. Stop! I'm getting hungry and it's only 3:25 here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 03:24 pm
@George,
I'm jealous, George, oh boy that sounds good.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 03:25 pm
@ehBeth,
which three peppers? the nosy one wants to know..
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 03:27 pm
@jcboy,
Is MacDonald's fading in attraction yet? I predict it will.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 03:32 pm
@ossobuco,
roasted red bell pepper, chipotle and jalapeno

if this works out well I'll make my own next time
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 03:45 pm
@ehBeth,
I usually roast my own fresh chiles, as they spell that here. The spelling varies, whether they are from Mexico (chili) or New Mexico or Asia, which I know less about, chilli-wise. Anyway, I've been playing with roasting fresh ones and haven't mastered it yet, but even at my worst (how the hell do I get the peel off now - was one mishap), they work with my food. I've only had chipotles from a can.. not that I don't like those.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 04:20 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Is MacDonald's fading in attraction yet? I predict it will.

It is fading because he's finally understanding what the word NO means. Razz
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 04:24 pm
@jcboy,
<giggles>
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 10:31 am
I’m going to slow cook the roast for 4 to 5 hours today with plenty of carrots and potatoes.

They’re five mouths to feed in this house! Razz
ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 01:10 pm
@jcboy,
I think I'm going to make my own version of this Saveur recipe:

http://www2.worldpub.net/images/saveurmag/7-SAV142-CurriedChicken-400x251.jpg
Curried Chicken

INGREDIENTS
4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1½″ pieces
¼ cup fresh lime juice
2 tbsp. curry powder
¼ cup coconut oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tsp. ground allspice
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 scallions, finely chopped
3 sprigs thyme
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1 chayote squash, cut into ½″ cubes
1 russet potato, peeled and cut into ½″ cubes
1 1″ piece ginger, minced
1 cup coconut milk
1 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, slit in half lengthwise Cooked white rice, for serving

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Combine chicken, lime juice, and 1 tbsp. curry powder in a large bowl, and toss to combine; refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.

2. Heat oil in a 6-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, and working in batches, add to pot, and cook, stirring, until golden brown all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken to bowl with marinade, and set aside. Add remaining curry powder, the allspice, garlic, scallions, thyme, carrots, chayote, potato, and ginger, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly caramelized, about 6 minutes. Add chicken and any remaining marinade to pot along with coconut milk and chile, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened, about 40 minutes; serve over rice.

I don't have coconut oil but I do have coconut milk; don't have chayote squash, do have some already roasted yam. Amazingly, I already have caramelized red onions at hand. Do have the ginger, etc.
Plenty of chile on my shelves, but no habeneros. I'll make do. The chicken and russet potato are already roasted..

I bet this will turn out interesting and maybe edible. Will report.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 01:50 pm
Here's another similar (but not the same) "recipe" I'll try sometime -
I copied it a couple of years ago from the Village Voice 100 favorite dishes article back then.
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/2013/06/bias_cary_ga_on.php

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/biacaryga.JPG

Cary Ga, vietnamese chicken curry soup -

No. 86: Cary Ga from Bia
The promise of the rooftop garden first lured us into this Vietnamese roadhouse under the Williamsburg bridge, and since summer isn't exactly hot soup season, we were initially content to just eat a dumpling or two and drink beer. But after a couple of bowls of hot broth and noodles passed by our table, we relented--after all, the Vietnamese eat pho year-round, and the summers there are hotter and stickier than they are here. We don't regret our choice, especially since we discovered the cary ga is not only a good representative of Vietnamese cooking, but also a worthy noodle soup option in a town afloat with hundreds of versions from all over the world. Hunks of chicken, leaves of bok choy, and thin white noodles swim in a broth deeply layered with onion, garlic, fresh ginger, a sweet hit of coconut milk, and a curry spiked with just enough chile that the heat slowly builds until the only way to put out the fire in your mouth is to take another bite. You'll want to slurp up every last drop and then order another round of beers to cool down.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 08:56 pm
wow osso, that looks so delicious. Thank goodness I am full - otherwise I'd run to the kitchen now!
chai2

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 03:17 pm
Going to have my version of Salisbury Steak with portobello mushrooms, asparagus, and fresh beets.
panzade

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 04:14 pm
@chai2,
One of my comfort dishes chai, except for the beets.
Tell me what to look for and how to prepare them please.
jcboy

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 04:21 pm
@panzade,
Mine too, without those nasty beets though Razz
Ragman

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 04:29 pm
I made Quinoa and Black Rice (very dark purple) with assorted spices. First time for me making Black Rice (Trader Joes) and I love it. Black Rice is a tad quicker to cook (30 mins instead of 45) than brown rice and has more nutrients.

I'll make a different recipe with it tomorrow.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 05:40 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

One of my comfort dishes chai, except for the beets.
Tell me what to look for and how to prepare them please.

Beets?

I dunno. I don't bother to get the ones with the greens attached. I just buy a few/three about the size below. Scrub them with a brush, poke a knife in each one a few times, put in a microwave covered cassarole dish with about 1/2 cup water, and microwave them for 5 to 10 minutes.

You can roast them, eat them raw, pickle them etc. I just go for the fast and simple because we love them any way. To me they're sweet like candy.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/4923377223_22382ab7e7.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 05:44 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Mine too, without those nasty beets though Razz

Nuh uh. Fresh beets are good. yum yum.

Pan, just don't be alarmed when you pee or um, well, I'll just say it, poop later on.

Nope, that's not internal bleeding.