Dinner tonight - or last night.

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 04:19 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I love tortellini, now expound on your Bolognese sauce.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 04:28 pm
I have another roast in the oven, this time not making mashed potatoes, cooking them right along with the roast.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/bjgvbm.jpg

http://oi59.tinypic.com/21lkiz8.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 05:08 pm
@jcboy,
Save me some, please.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 05:20 pm
@jcboy,
looks good

I'll bring over mushrooms and asparagus Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 05:35 pm
@jcboy,
Details please.
what cut of meat and how do you make that broth/gravy?
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 05:55 pm
That whole roast will be gone tonight, Cool

Sometimes I’ll use my own beef stock but since I didn’t have any I’m using beef broth from the store. I’ll strain it and make a gravy for the potatoes and meat.

I usually add a lot of carrots because carrots is one of Antonio’s favorite vegies. Funny because I didn’t care for them when I was a kid but he loves his cooked carrots!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 06:07 pm
Tonight, some more rosemary chicken (http://able2know.org/topic/72647-321#post-5887274) and my millionth version (all different) of Panzade's cole slaw. This slaw will have savoy cabbage, roasted onion, garlic, peperoncini, pickled green beans, and for a change, o.oil and a.c. vinegar dressing, and the last of the little carton of mediterranean olives. Maybe some feta.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 06:27 pm
@jcboy,
When I do pot roast, I either use the oven, slow cooker or pressure cooker. I have an electric range and it doesn't make the beef as tender as a gas range would. I always sear the beef, add the potatoes and I use baby carrots. Oh, can't forget about adding a medium size onion to the broth. I also like to use garlic salt and black pepper rub in the meat before I sear it. Then the beef , onion, potato, and carrots all go in the pot preferably a third filled with beef broth.

It's Devine, and the only way I can get my husband will eat carrots. I know they are not as crisp as I would like them, but they soak up the broth and are delish.

Now I'm hungry, but I made pork chops tonight. It's going to have to do. Sigh
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 06:32 pm
My Chinese food just arrived from Hong Kong Restaurant.
House special soup(Won Ton with shrimp and pork and those cute baby ears of corn)
And Mu Shu Pork.
Love the pancakes and plum sauce.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 07:12 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

My Chinese food just arrived from Hong Kong Restaurant.
House special soup(Won Ton with shrimp and pork and those cute baby ears of corn)
And Mu Shu Pork.
Love the pancakes and plum sauce.

Still haven't found a decent Asian food restaurant here in Albuquerque. People here think that if you just add some ginger and soy sauce to anything, you can call it Asian cuisine.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 07:27 pm
@Butrflynet,
I agree.

Well, there were a couple of good places a bunch of years ago, one japanese and one indian, but they're long gone, probably before you moved.

I nearly gingered out at a particular vietnamese restaurant here, broke my heart and almost made me hate ginger.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 09:50 pm
@ossobuco,
My cousin has lived for many years in Las Cruces, she said never order crab cakes in New Mexico and never order Mexican food on the East Coast. I think she dropped a few pearls of wisdom, and she was right.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 11:40 am
@Butrflynet,
Don't know anything about Asian cuisine.
Wouldn't know it if I ate it.
What I love is American Chinese food.
Specifically the food that's delivered from this particular restaurant.

The same goes for Mexican.
I've had authentic Mexican cuisine in Mexico.
But my favorite Mexican food is served at Rancho Chico, a little place tucked away in a S Florida strip mall.

Call me undiscerning or unsophisticated, but I know what I like. Very Happy
mismi

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 03:26 pm
@panzade,
I'm undiscerning and unsophisticated as well. But
I do know what I like.

Don't really care if I'm not sophisticated. Most of the time anyway.

I think I'm going
To go sauté some onions and put them on a flour
Tortilla with some sharp cheddar cheese and pan grill it
until the cheese squishes out the sides.

I might even make some for my family. Razz
panzade

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 03:50 pm
@mismi,
That's what I like. For lunch for example. Very Happy
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 04:14 pm
Well, well, well.....once you've eaten in a good Mexican restaurant - like we have here in southern California, it's hard to eat in a Mexican restaurant in ...say Atlanta. Dto. for fish - once you've gotten fish poisoning, you'll be more careful to eat "fresh" fish in an area where there is no water within 500 miles.
jcboy

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 05:00 pm
@CalamityJane,
I hated the Mexican restaurants in Florida, they had no clue what Mexican food was. We have great Mexican restaurants in CA!

It's Antonio's turn to pick dinner tonight and what does he ask for? Cheese Burgers and Mac and Cheese Razz

When we make hamburgers I buy the handmade patties they sell at the market, to the ones that come sliced, these are actually hand molded with lean sirloin beef. So that's what I'll be making later Cool
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 05:03 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
once you've eaten in a good Mexican restaurant - like we have here in southern California, it's hard to eat in a Mexican restaurant in ...say Atlanta

sweetie, gotta quibble with ya. Very Happy
Geography doesn't affect the quality of restaurants; there's good and bad everywhere.
And as far as fish. I'm more wary of the (fresh) fish at a waterfront restaurant in Florida than the frozen fish at a Kansas eatery.
Just sayin...
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 05:22 pm
@CalamityJane,
I agree. I might not have moved here if I'da thought it out more carefully re fish.
There aren't anywhere near the variety of restaurants here in Abq that are run by owners/cooks from different parts of Mexico, like there are in LA/SD (I don't know SD as well); on the other hand, local New Mexican food can be delicious on its own.

Same with chinese food -- way more actual chinese food, especially in the San Gabriel valley areas, in southern California, from all sorts of areas of China.

I'm salivating now.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 05:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I know I sound snotty, that's my way! I'm a sea otter, you know. Ms. Opinionated. It helps that I can't smell and am cooking clutz on top of it, adds to the flavor.

On fish here, every fish item I've ever ordered has been outstandingly horrible starting with the concrete breading maneuvers, playing hide the fishie. I admit I don't get to high end grocery stores. Fish from the co-op in Eureka or Arcata was seasonal/from the sea nearby, and, oh, the wild salmon..
I think I tasted a bit of a fish entree that Walter H ordered at a restaurant in Corrales, and that was great, so good fish may be possible, just not the norm.

Calamity and I met one day back in 2009 when my cousins came here for a visit and brought me back there, a lovely couple of weeks. First I tripped going to greet CJ, but it went well from then on. I suppose we have disagreed on issues sometime but I don't remember (a virtue of age). She took me to a favorite restaurant of hers, and we individually chose the same thing. She's a genius!