Dinner tonight - or last night.

jcboy

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 04:32 pm
@jcboy,
We got a little busy today so no time to be cooking. Going to meet friends at Bella Brava downtown for din din.
jcboy

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 03:59 pm
@jcboy,
Tonight Marco is using his deep fryer and making chicken sandwiches and macaroni salad.
MMarciano

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 06:13 pm
@jcboy,
However I didn't use the deep-fryer for the macaroni salad.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 06:18 pm
@MMarciano,
deep-fried mac and cheese

http://abreiden.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/030.jpg

very popular at the fair
jcboy

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 08:00 pm
@ehBeth,
I stayed up late tonight because I had to watch the final episode of The Closer, I loved that show!

But anyway tomorrow I plan on making chicken ala king, my mom use to make it, not sure how she made it but I remember it having carrots and peas and she use to serve it over homemade noodles. I’ll search for a recipe tomorrow.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 08:10 pm
@MMarciano,
That could have been a best seller.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 08:19 pm
My gallery partner, a million years ago ('74) spent an afternoon in the kitchen of our gallery/studio and made her mother's home made noodles for a soup, and (bashes self) I hated them, slimy. Oh, well, one of many arguments (she talked Jung all the time forever).

She was a good woman, though I thought her boyfriend was a putz and she thought mine was. Probably both right, though hers definitely was.

Noodle memories R Us.
MMarciano

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 08:32 pm
@ossobuco,
He started looking for a recipe online then I noticed his head falling on the laptop so I figured it was time to send him to bed.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 09:16 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
But anyway tomorrow I plan on making chicken ala king, my mom use to make it, not sure how she made it but I remember it having carrots and peas and she use to serve it over homemade noodles. I’ll search for a recipe tomorrow.

I love Chicken ala King. We used red peppers in it too. Mom would put ours over a nice thick crunchy toast. It was delicious. I tried it with the kids and they all turned their nose up at it. I still think it is delicious. Smile

If you find a recipe share it please Smile
jcboy

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 06:52 am
@mismi,
I'll be trying this recipe but I'm leaving out the parsley, nutmeg and chives, plus I'll be adding peas like my mom use to make.

Ingredients
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 large shallots, minced
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dry sherry
3 3/4 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
6 sprigs plus 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more, to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more, to taste
Pinch cayenne pepper
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 cup creme fraiche or heavy cream
4 cups 1-inch cubed poached chicken, recipe follows
1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
Serving suggestions: Buttered noodles, toast points, biscuits, or crepes

Directions

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup of the butter, and saute the shallots until softened, about 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour, and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Whisk in the sherry and broth and bring to a boil while stirring. Add the parsley and thyme sprigs, lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook the sauce for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the mushrooms until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Strain the sauce into mushrooms and season with the salt, pepper, cayenne, and nutmeg. Whisk in the creme fraiche.

Add the minced parsley, chicken, and chives to the sauce, and bring to a simmer. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately over noodles, toast points, split baking powder biscuits or wrapped in crepes.
POACHED CHICKEN
10 sprigs parsley
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 small onion, halved
1 small carrot, halved
1 stalk celery, halved
3 pounds chicken breasts halves, on the bone and fat trimmed
5 to 6 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned

Put the parsley, thyme, onion, carrot, celery, and chicken breasts in a medium saucepan. Cover with the broth, and bring just to a boil. Lower the heat to very low and cover. Poach the chicken for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove the pan from the heat, uncover, and cool the chicken in the liquid for 30 minutes.

Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and reserve the liquid. Bone and skin the chicken and cut the meat into cubes. Discard the bones and skin.

Strain the broth and store, covered, in the refrigerator for 3 days or freeze for later use. Remove any fat from the surface of the broth before using.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 06:54 am
@jcboy,
you need the nutmeg to give it that special flavour you remember

it's the herbs and spices that make a dish
jcboy

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 06:58 am
@ehBeth,
eck! I never liked nutmeg, do you really think I should put it in?
ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 07:01 am
@jcboy,
really

not a lot, but nutmeg is one of those really interesting spices that adds real complexity to a dish

you shouldn't be able to taste the nutmeg independently - just have a sense of there's something in here that makes the dish taste special
jcboy

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 07:02 am
@ehBeth,
Okay well you have me convinced, I'll put it in, but just a little Cool
ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 07:04 am
@jcboy,
a pinch really means a pinch - maybe 1/8th of a teaspoon

or as much as would cover Antonio's baby fingernail
jcboy

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 03:12 pm
@ehBeth,
My chicken ala king is cooking. I had a little taste, not bad! It sure thickened up when I put in the heavy cream.

I didn’t make homemade noodles so I’m just using egg noodles.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg513/scaled.php?server=513&filename=kingcy.jpg&res=landing

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg521/scaled.php?server=521&filename=kingc1.jpg&res=landing
ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 03:24 pm
@jcboy,
That sure looks good. If there are leftovers it'll be a good lunch take-along.
jcboy

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 03:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Marco likes taking leftovers. I have to get out of the office so I never do.

When I was shopping I found a nice brisket for tomorrow. I’ll slow cook it for about 4 hours and have it with mashed potatoes and sautéed spinach.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 04:11 pm
@jcboy,
That looks amazing.

Great recipe. Thanks for posting it!

I am with Beth. I do not like nutmeg on its own...but just a pinch can make a dish better. I found that out with my fetticine alfredo. Smile

That picture is making me hungry.
MMarciano

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 04:16 pm
It was quite tasty! I’m looking forward to taking it for lunch tomorrow! He can make that again. He sure has learned a lot in his cooking class. When we met he wasn’t sure which burner to turn on.
0 Replies