Dinner tonight - or last night.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 04:16 pm
@mismi,
a pinch of nutmeg makes meatballs insane!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/real-meatballs-and-spaghetti-recipe/index.html

http://southernfood.about.com/od/meatballs/r/bl30102i.htm

(you can pretend you're at Ikea when you make the Swedish meatballs)
Dutchy

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 05:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Heading for the pub tonight for a Rib Eye Steak accompanied by spicy Asian vegetables, so very filling and yummy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 05:53 pm
My recent favorite - slow cooked pork in green chile sauce. I'm a gonna miss it when it's gone, gone, gone.

I'm making a couple of loaves of herb bread (Carol Field's italian bread book, changing the herbs etc to rosemary, garlic, thyme, oregano, and throwing in some ground flax for the hell of it. It's just a breadflour white hearth bread, no other flours today, but I'm back to kneading for fun.

Hmm, it's raining and the sun is out. Which reminds me, I learned the italian word for cloudburst yesterday - nubifragio. I'm going to work on remembering that one, it sort of makes sense soundwise.

Got to go save the dog from the sky's raindrops.
MMarciano

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 06:16 pm
@ossobuco,
My mother always makes homemade bread! you can't buy that in any store.

Your slow cooked pork in green chile sauce sounds delicious!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 06:34 pm
@MMarciano,
You should know, you made it yourself! (It's still good. I froze it for a while). I've thought of having black rice with it, because last time I made that it tasted really good (Forbidden Rice, Lotus brand). But nah.
the prince

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 06:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Was in office until 0030, so two cream biscuits and packet of almonds.

Pls feel sorry for me.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 06:53 pm
@the prince,
Ok.

Poor baby!!
jcboy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 11:52 am
@ossobuco,
I had to meet the electrician at the house, he’s installing can lighting in the Florida room. I’m going with LED lights, they don’t get hot!

In the meantime I’m getting the brisket ready for tonight. Rubbed dijon mustard all over it, sprinkled some onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg835/scaled.php?server=835&filename=brisket.jpg&res=landing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 02:01 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

eck! I never liked nutmeg, do you really think I should put it in?

did you survive the nutmeg?
jcboy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 02:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Yep, Antonio loved it, I couldn't really taste the nutmeg, but the flavor was very nice.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 02:09 pm
I'm not making this tonight (not a summer recipe), but this is the dish I have probably been asked to make the most often - particularly for big seders - and I just found it online after years of looking for it.

http://food.chatelaine.com/Recipes/View/Layered_vegetable_casserole

Quote:
Layered vegetable casserole

Cooking time 20 minutes
Preparation time 15 minutes
Baking Time 55 minutes

Makes 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients 8 medium-size potatoes, about 3 lbs (1.5 kg)
4 tbsp ( 60 mL) butter or margarine, at room temperature
1 cup ( 250 mL) light or regular sour cream
1 tsp ( 5 mL) salt
300 g pkg thawed frozen spinach, preferably chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 egg, lightly beaten
300 g pkg frozen cooked squash, thawed
1 tbsp ( 15 mL) finely grated fresh ginger
1 cup ( 250 mL) grated cheddar cheese

1.Peel potatoes, cut in half and immediately drop into cold water to prevent them from turning brown. Then drain and place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover completely with boiling or hot water to speed up cooking. Cover saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce heat to medium and continue boiling gently, partially covered, until potatoes are very tender, from 20 to 30 minutes.

2.Drain potatoes and mash, preferably with a potato masher. Stir in 2 tablespoons (30 mL) butter, sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt. You should have about 6 cups (1.5 L).

Squeeze handfuls of spinach until fairly dry. Coarsely chop if not already chopped. Place in a medium-size bowl. Stir in green onions, egg, 1 tablespoon (15 mL) butter and 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) salt.

Drain off any liquid from thawed squash. Stir squash with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) butter, ginger and 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) salt.

3.Preheat oven to 350F (180C).

Butter a large casserole dish that will hold at least 8 cups (2 L) or coat with cooking spray.

Spoon one-third of potato mixture into buttered casserole dish and spread until smooth.

Evenly spread with all of squash mixture. Spread with half of remaining potatoes, then all of spinach mixture. Top with a layer of remaining potatoes, then sprinkle with cheese.

4.Bake, uncovered, in centre of 350F (180C) oven until hot and cheese is lightly golden, from 55 to 65 minutes. To test if hot right through, plunge a table knife into centre of casserole and hold for 15 seconds. Then withdraw knife and lightly touch to see if it has become very warm.

Toting
To bring it already baked, take casserole out of oven, cover with foil and lift into a heavy cardboard container with high sides for carrying. Or assemble casserole, but do not bake. Cover with foil and refrigerate for up to a half a day. At the party, bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Then uncover and continue baking until hot, about 1 more hour.

I whip the egg thoroughly before mixing it with the spinach. It makes it puff a tiny bit while baking, so it's like finding a layer of spinach souffle in between the squash and mashed tater layers.

It looks great when you cut into it - layers of green/orange/white and kids love it.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 02:11 pm
@jcboy,
The idea is not to taste the nutmeg - just to know the whole thing had a great flavour. Nutmeg is one of those neat mystery spices.

now I'm going to find a way to teach you to appreciate beets - I think beet chips is the way to start ... Very Happy
jcboy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 04:33 pm
@ehBeth,
That's sounds wonderful! and very heathly! I may give it a try!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 04:46 pm
We didn’t have time to cook tonight so we ordered a Pizza from Astra Pizza, best in St. Pete, along with a nice antipasto salad.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 03:29 pm
We’re staying in tonight. Marco is making chicken parmesan, then we will make it a movie night at home.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 03:55 pm
@ehBeth,
beets are one of a small group of foods (including but not limited to turnips and liver) that as children we were required to eat on occasion. with or without a dose of corporal punishment.

invariably it wound up as a with situation.

I still just can't get past the beeting...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 03:56 pm
@jcboy,
Chicken parmesan, what is that?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 03:58 pm
@ossobuco,
You guys need some time in Italy, a month or two. Don't make me annoy you.

chicken parmesan

give me a break.
jcboy

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 05:59 pm
@ossobuco,
hahaha it was wonderful, chicken was nice and tender.

I've been to Italy before, would love to take a trip with Marco and Antonio sometime, and we will Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2012 07:32 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

You guys need some time in Italy, a month or two. Don't make me annoy you.

chicken parmesan

give me a break.

You mean they don't serve chicken parmigiana in Italy???> Well - I never!

Chicken parmi is the staple food of just about every pub and club here! Varying levels of quality Confused

Not my favourite - but someone must buy it.