Dinner tonight - or last night.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 04:44 pm
went to Z-teca at lunch

I think this thread inspired me to order the nachos because I could get three different salsa with it + the awesome guac they make.

I managed to eat about a quarter of my order. Set and the dogs just finished it off.

edit ... so dinner .... NOT hungry now
Joeblow

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 05:04 pm
@ehBeth,
So far, it's barley sandwiches. Wink
ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 05:13 pm
@InfraBlue,
I agree - and I do know it is easy to overcook.

Which is why I talk about it.

I'm railing against all the not good stuff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2012 05:34 pm
@Joeblow,
oooh that's an idea for tomorrow for sure
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 04:58 am
Dinner tonight was a (home-made) Thai red chicken curry. With tiny new potatoes in it, along with various other goodies including coconut milk.
Pretty good, though I don't have much of an appetite, really, having spent the best part of the last 3 days in bed with a cold.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 08:33 am
@ossobuco,
Here you go Osso!

I use this recipe and bake it for two hours at 250, its very tender. I found it online one day and gave it a try.

2 1/2 to 3lbs. pork loin ( 1/2in. cube )
1 tbsp. Salt
1 1/2 teas. Pepper
1 teas. garlic powder
2 teas. chili powder
1/4 teas. Cumin
4 tbsp. olive oil
2 1/2 cups water

The green sauce

1 ½ lbs. Fresh tomatillos
1 large onion
2 green or anaheim chili’s or pablanos
4 cloves fresh peeled garlic
½ teas. Salt
¼ teas. Pepper
¼ teas. Sugar

Start by cutting your pork into 1/2 inch cubes and add to a large ziplock bag. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin and olive oil to your bag. (Do not add the water) Close the bag leaving a little bit of air in it and “smoosh” it around to thoroughly mix the seasoning into the pork. Reopen the bag and remove as much air as you can and close. Set this aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
While your pork is marinating, Peel the outer shell of the tomatillos off and wash them to remove the sticky residue, cut them in half. Slice the onion into 8 equal size pieces. Slice your chili’s in half, remove the stems and de-seed them. Transfer your tomatillos, onion and chili’s along with the 4 cloves of garlic into a baking dish and bake in a preheated 250 degree oven for 2 hours. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly. Add to a blender along with the salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and sugar. Start your blender on pulse to get it started and then to blend making sure that everything gets blended. You might have to do this in a few batches. Set this aside until your pork is ready for it.

After your pork has marinated, add it to a large deep skillet preheated to high. You will want a pan big enough to hold the pork and the sauce. A good way to know if your pan is hot enough is to add a few drops of olive oil to it and when it starts to smoke, it’s ready. Sear your pork on all sides, stirring often, this will take about 20 minutes or so. Once the pork has seared, stir in your sauce along with about 2 1/2 cups of water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to the lowest possible setting and cover. Your looking for a very low simmer, it should barely even bubble. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 09:46 am
@MMarciano,
That sounds very delicious, but if it has more than 4 ingredients, I am out!! Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 10:00 am
@MMarciano,
Ok, this recipe is going on my desktop.
I've never cooked with tomatillos before, to that'll be fun.
Thank you!
jcboy

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 10:08 am
@ossobuco,
He made a large batch and we froze some, had it again today for lunch. I think its better then any I’ve had before!

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg11/scaled.php?server=11&filename=chiliverde.jpg&res=landing
jcboy

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2012 03:17 pm
@jcboy,
We're on our way downtown to meet Anthony and Jeff for din din.
jcboy

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 06:04 am
@jcboy,
We had dinner out last night at a new restaurant in town called The Kitchen. Moderately priced but not a lot on the menu to choose from. The food wasn’t bad. I had the roasted chicken. They have a full liquor license so they will probably do well.

One thing I have noticed, the restaurants that didn’t make it only had a beer and wine license.
http://kitchenstpete.com/menu/
MMarciano

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 07:06 am
@ossobuco,
You're welcome, its actually not hard to make and you can make as much as you want and freeze the left overs for another time.
jcboy

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2012 07:26 am
@jcboy,
My chicken last night, when they brought it to me I thought it looked nasty all mixed up like that but it wasn’t bad.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg24/scaled.php?server=24&filename=photoqsg.jpg&res=landing
Adam4Adam

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 06:08 am
@jcboy,
T haven't tried The Kitchen yet. I heard last night was St Pete's dinner last night , they have now closed for good.
jcboy

Reply Mon 30 Jul, 2012 06:41 pm
@Adam4Adam,
I’m not surprised St. Pete Diner closed. I ate there two years ago and said I would never go back, well I did a year later and it wasn’t any better then the first time. I never went back after that.

It was just a place where everyone went to eat after the bars closed, that’s why it was known around town as bar food.

We didn't have much time for a fancy dinner tonight so we made cheese burgers at home.
alex240101

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 12:52 pm
@jcboy,
http://www.monjinlau.com/

Going there tonight. Not a big fan of that type cuisine, but certainly am excited.
jcboy

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:06 pm
@alex240101,
Oh I love that cuisine, looks wonderful, enjoy!
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 03:48 pm
Morgan is making a butterball turkey breast with mashed potatoes, gravy and a nice salad. He discovered you could buy boneless turkey breast and not spend hours cooking a whole turkey.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 03:49 pm
@MMarciano,
most of them are injected with a broth solution (salt) now...

I've not been able to find a good breast that was undoctored of late...
MMarciano

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2012 03:57 pm
@Rockhead,
He came home with a butterball. Probably injected Shocked