msolga

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 12:04 am
@ossobuco,
I was raving on about a stock requiring eight cloves of garlic, osso. Smile
msolga

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 12:06 am
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
....the best chicken we've ever made. The taste is unbelievable!!

Yes?
Now you've got my interest!
Any chance of a recipe, Jane?
jcboy

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 08:34 am
@msolga,
We’re having dinner out again tonight but today I’m going to the grocery store to buy a turkey and Saturday I’ll be making my first Thanksgiving dinner, we’re having another Thanksgiving, doesn’t always have to be in November LOL. Stayed tuned!
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 08:52 am
@msolga,
Yes of course, MsOlga. I'll translate it a bit later and write it down.....for now I am off to the office.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 09:20 am
@jcboy,
Rolling Eyes Drunk
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 02:42 pm
@msolga,
Here it goes...
800 gram chicken (any form you like either breasts, legs, etc. - if you don't eat the skin, remove beforehand)
300 gram onions, diced or in rings
2 lb. Tomatoes diced - best from the can
4 tblsp olive oil
2 tlbsp. cinnamon (you can take a bit more if you like)
2 tblsp. tomato paste
1/4 litre whipped cream
pepper, salt, and a bit of sugar to taste
8 tblsp. EL Noilly Prat vermouth (I omitted that as I had none at the house and it was fine)

Clean the chicken and season it with pepper and salt and brown in in a pan with olive oil for 5 min each side. Take the chicken out, cover all pieces evenly with cinnamon and set it aside.

Add the onions to the pan and cook them until tender, add the tomatoes, tomato paste and let it cook on high for a few minutes. Season with pepper, salt and a bit of sugar to taste and let it cook for a while longer until the sauce thickens. Reduce the heat and add the whipped cream and the vermouth (if you want to).
The sauce should be thick and creamy, that's important.

Give the chicken into an oven proof dish, add the sauce on top and bake it in the oven for 20 - 30 min. or until the chicken is done. Enjoy!
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 02:47 pm
We had a left-over chicken from the night before. So, i browned some bacon, threw in a choppe onion an some sliced mushrooms, and picked the rest of the chicken off the bones. Then we made chicken vegetable soup. It war good. We still have left overs of that. I had a bowl for lunch.
jcboy

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 02:52 pm
We're waiting for daddy to get home from the gym then having din din downtown.

After work I picked up Antonio from school and he and I went shopping for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. Picked up a 12lb butterball and an Easter egg coloring kit.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg688/scaled.php?server=688&filename=turkeyb.jpg&res=landing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 03:24 pm
@msolga,
Oh, I'm all for the garlic. It was the soy sauce permeation I had trouble with when I made it.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 03:26 pm
@CalamityJane,
Sounds terrific.

Our old friend Harvey used to use vermouth in his cooking - particularly when he made a giganto pot of stock.
I remember using vermouth the first time I made risotto, messing up the recipe and adding (blush!) all vermouth instead of 1/2 cup, the rest stock. Man, was that weird rice, went straight into the garbage disposal.
MMarciano

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 06:19 pm
@Setanta,
The chicken soup sounds delicious.

I was planning on making some Puerto Rican food this weekend but it looks like we’ll be eating turkey for three days.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 06:52 pm
@ossobuco,
omg, that would have been quite a risotto, osso Laughing
---

Marco, maybe you should educate your Jewish wife about Easter; that it's not comparable to Thanksgiving and people mostly serve ham or lamb on Easter.
Oh well, enjoy the turkey sandwiches on Monday, Tuesday and so on....
MMarciano

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:10 pm
@CalamityJane,
Something tells me we won’t be having the turkey tomorrow. He doesn’t know how long it takes to thaw out a turkey and its still in the fridge. Wink
ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:13 pm
@MMarciano,
So, like, it'll be a turkey Tuesday?
MMarciano

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Probably so,

Its a 12 pound frozen turkey and I tried telling him it won’t thaw out in the fridge overnight. We’ll probably be eating out tomorrow. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:47 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thank you, Jane!
Much appreciated. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Ah.
Gotcha, osso.
My previous attempt had too much soy sauce in the stock (to my taste, anyway).
A bit over-powering, I thought.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 07:06 am
I promised Antonio I would make a turkey today so I had to run out and buy another one this morning. A fresh one that wasn’t frozen.

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 07:13 am
@jcboy,
Turkey for dinner for the next fortnight! Smile
That was very nice of you, jc.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 07:41 am
@jcboy,
ok now - the one you've got thawing in the fridge can't be refrozen - you're going to have to cook it as soon as it is thawed.

Safety first eh.