Dinner tonight - or last night.

jcboy

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 03:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you, Language class is next, me and the Puerto Rican LOL
jcboy

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 03:38 pm
@jcboy,
I started to cook the rice half an hour ago but I had the wrong burner on again, I really hate that electric stove.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 03:50 pm
@ehBeth,
It smells wonderful, I'll be having some for lunch tomorrow. Morgan won't take his lunch, I love leftovers!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 04:40 pm
I decided to cook something tonight without using a recipe. I marinated two large boneless skinless chicken breast in buttermilk, crushed up lays potato chips for a breading, putting them in the oven now, will be having mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg849/scaled.php?server=849&filename=dinner4212.jpg&res=medium
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 04:51 pm
@jcboy,
Looks good. We had yesterday breaded veal we call "Wiener Schnitzel" - used bread crumbs though.
You only have two, isn't Antonio eating with you?
jcboy

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 04:56 pm
@CalamityJane,
I thought I would try it with lays potato chips LOL. I usully use bread crumb.

Antonio is but he wanted some of the gumbo I made last night. I gave my neighbor a giant bowl. It made so much we would have never finished it.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 05:08 pm
@jcboy,
Potato chips are a good choice. You can experiment with some of the flavored ones too. For instance, those malt vinegar flavored ones make a great breading for some types of fish and barbecue chips make a great coating for pork chops or chicken breasts.

Other "breading" alternatives you can try are chopped nuts such as pecans, cereals such as corn flakes, saltine crackers, cracked pepper.

Just do the usual dipping in flour, then egg, then the alternative breading.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 05:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
I just saw a recipe in a 'healthy living' mag where they crushed rice crackers to make the breading for fish and chips. I think it's a great alternative.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2012 06:30 pm
@Butrflynet,
My cooking teacher said I shouldn’t be afraid to experiment, that’s how most cooks learn.

The chicken was actually quite good; I pounded the chicken flat before marinating them in the buttermilk. They were crispy but tender. Not too bad.

I like the idea of using different breading, those are great ideas.

Not cooking tomorrow night, Marco will be working a little later so we are having din din out, beside I have to get my hair cut after work.
Cool
jcboy

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2012 05:40 pm
@jcboy,
Tonight we went to Charley's Steakhouse for the first time. I started with a delicious lobster bisque. We had house salads and their amazing sourdough bread. Marco ordered an 18 oz NY Strip cooked medium rare. I decided to order something special and had the 24 oz bone-in Australian wagyu ribeye, which the waiter recommended cooked medium. Simply put, the best steak I've ever had. What little fat was left after cooking dissolved in my mouth. The meat on both of our steaks was perfectly cooked and tender. Thumbs-up on the potatoes, apathetic shrug on the garlic bread. It's a shame we had no room for dessert. Altogether, an excellent meal at a reasonable price.
jcboy

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 03:53 am
@jcboy,
hehe I just found my friends Paul and Darren on youtube, we will be having din din at their place tonight, meeting friends.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 06:43 am
grabbed a rotisserie chicken on the way home from dance class last night

Set and I ripped it apart - ate about half

tonight we'll cut up the rest of the chicken and toss it in some veggie soup along with some sauteed bacon and onions and some extra veggies - I bought some kind of fancy bread to have with it
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 12:50 pm
@jcboy,
I do like the Queens Head, the food is good but it's a bit over priced in my opinion.
jcboy

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 04:32 pm
@EqualityFLSTPete,
We're meeting there in half an hour, why not join us?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 07:05 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

now that you're going to be a cook, it's time to learn the language

roux - you made a roux (and it does look beautiful)

Bethie

exactly what I was thinking! Does look pretty good!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 07:41 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

tonight we'll cut up the rest of the chicken and toss it in some veggie soup along with some sauteed bacon and onions and some extra veggies - I bought some kind of fancy bread to have with it

this turned out to be a fabulous meal - I stopped by the green grocer, picked up brussel sprouts, asparagus, three types of onion, two kinds of mushrooms
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 07:47 pm
I think I'll try another (with much less soy sauce) version of steeped chicken tonight.
Defrosted the free range chicken I bought when it was on "special".
And found another (Asian-ish) recipe to try out.
This one has eight garlic cloves in the stock!
Sounds like my sort of recipe! Very Happy
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 08:30 pm
@msolga,
We're having chicken tonight too - cinnamon chicken!!
I know it sounds odd and I was very very hesitant to cook it a few weeks back,
but that's the best chicken we've ever made. The taste is unbelievable!!
Lash

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 08:51 pm
Seared tuna on arugula salad, steamed broccoli. Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2012 08:55 pm
@msolga,
I made a soy sauce chicken once (no longer have the recipe) and never will again.

Oh, wait, what is msolga saying..