Dinner tonight - or last night.

mismi

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 10:05 am
@farmerman,
I am making pork loin medallions in marsala sauce. Going to put it over farfalle. Nice cesar salad and sweet iced tea. Feeding the in laws.
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 10:19 am
@ehBeth,
I was invited to dinner once when Morgan cooked, it was pretty darn good Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 10:32 am
@mismi,
ooh excellent idea

I bought a lot of little pork roasts on the weekend - that would be a great use for at least one of them
jcboy

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 06:08 pm
I was planning on cooking tonight but I worked a little late then Antonio and I had to do a little shopping. He grows out of his clothes every couple of months.

We had din din out tonight.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 06:17 pm
@ehBeth,
I am going to do that tomorrow night. My in laws are coming tomorrow night. I got confused. I have sausage pomodoro going on right now. That's good too...but not as happy as that pork tenderloin will be. Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 06:26 pm
@mismi,
I cooked up one of the little pork roasts. The cold thingie we still have means I didn't want to stand up too long.

I put some roasted red pepper flakes, garlic bits, salt and a generous lashing of balsamic vinegar on the top of the roast and then threw it into the convection toaster oven (it's a big toaster oven) for about 40 minutes at 375. It came out so delicious.
mismi

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 08:24 pm
@ehBeth,
It sounds delicious.

That is one tough bug that got ahold of you and Set.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 04:40 pm
@mismi,
this bug has whacked Toronto upside the head bigtime - some people at work have been in/out since November! I am NOT going to let it take us down like that.

I'm going to try and make Cuban sandwiches with the leftover pork roast. May have to go out and buy some crusty French bread. I think I have all the other ingredients.

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2006/11/30/florida-dining-latin-american-cafeteria-restaurant/

hmmmmm what does one eat with Cuban sandwiches? some kinda slaw/salad?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 04:42 pm
@ehBeth,
ha!

an Alton Brown version of the Cubano

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/cuban-sandwich-recipe/index.html

Ingredients

4 hoagie rolls
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1/4 pound baked ham, thinly sliced
1/4 pound roast pork, thinly sliced
1/4 pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
10 thin dill pickle slices, approximately 2 whole pickles
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature

Directions

Slice the bread horizontally in half, leaving 1 edge intact. Lay the bread open and spread each side with the mustard. Divide the ingredients evenly among the slices of roll. Start with the ham followed by the pork, cheese, and dill pickles. Bring the tops and bottoms together.

Heat your panini maker or sandwich press. Butter each side of the press. Place the sandwiches inside, press down and grill until the cheese is melted and the bread is flat and browned, approximately 10 minutes. If you don't have a sandwich press, you can heat 6 fireplace bricks wrapped in foil, in a 500 degrees F oven for 1 hour and then press the sandwich between them for 10 minutes. Serve warm.

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2007/03/15/ea1h11_cubansandwich_lg.jpg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 05:30 pm
@ehBeth,
Sounds a lot like the bug that was going around in the San Francisco Bay Area at the end of 1998. The people in my department kept getting sick, staying home for a day, coming back to work and reinfecting everyone again in and endless cycle. I think I was sick off and on for over three months until I got so weak I couldn't even sit up in the office chair.

Careful it doesn't turn into something a lot more severe.
jcboy

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 05:53 pm
@Butrflynet,
I forgot I had a meeting after work so I didn’t have time to cook anything fancy so I made breaded pork chops with white beans and rice.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg684/scaled.php?server=684&filename=din3112.jpg&res=medium
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 05:56 pm
@jcboy,
Mmm, pork chops...

what's that atomic atomizer in the photo?
jcboy

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 06:31 pm
@ossobuco,
That's Marco's deep fryer I bought him for Christmas Smile

I cooked the white beans with onion and bacon. I chopped up some Cajun sausage and cooked it in some secret spices then mixed it into the rice. The Puerto Rican like spicy foods.

Seared the pork chops until crispy, but they were still tender and juicy.

Tomorrow night we are having din din out with our buds but this weekend I’m planning on making bacon wrapped filet mignon. I learned how to make it in my cooking class.

Now if Rockhead needs any cooking tips have him send me a message Very Happy

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg440/scaled.php?server=440&filename=dinj.jpg&res=medium
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 06:35 pm
@jcboy,
mmm looks great!

I need to learn how to make those beans. They sound wonderful.
jcboy

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 07:03 pm
@ehBeth,
I had to make the white beans last night because they take so long to cook. Marco doesn’t like any from a can. Cooked them with bacon, onion, garlic and salt for about four hours, have to be careful and add water and make sure they don’t burn on the bottom.

And the next day when you heat them up they’re yummy!
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 08:08 pm
@jcboy,
I am impressed with your newly found cooking skills!
You've come a long way, baby!
jcboy

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 08:29 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thank you Jane, I am getting into this whole cooking thing and I hated being in the kitchen.

There is a Williams Sonoma store at the International Mall in Tampa so I’ve been going two to three times a week after work for their cooking classes. My instructor is a very nice lady and she said I’m coming along just fine.

I can now have three pots cooking on the stove at the same time lol. Very Happy
Rockhead

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 08:31 pm
@jcboy,
once you get past that whole oven timer / oven temp thing, it's mostly downhill from there.

have fun, and don't make a big herkin mess...
jcboy

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 08:37 pm
@Rockhead,
hehehe no mess, I cook he cleans, hell I'd rather cook then clean the kitchen Wink
Rockhead

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 08:38 pm
@jcboy,
that's why I am such a good cook. I hate doing dishes...
0 Replies