Dinner tonight - or last night.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 09:01 pm
@jcboy,
Marco, love tell me about your carne asada.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 09:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
No, not ground beef.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 09:17 pm
Tonight I will be cooking "something" (not quite sure what, yet) with some black-eyed peas I soaked & cooked last night ... plus some silverbeet/Swiss chard (just checked the garden), plus some pumpkin (just checked the fridge), maybe some tomatoes ..... & possibly potatoes .... Who knows?
And any herbs/spices/flavourings which come to mind.
I have a few hours up my sleave to think about it .
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:52 am
@ossobuco,
I use a very think beef steak, pound it flat, chop it into small pieces, marinate it in taco seasoning for about four hours, brown it in a little olive oil. It’s so fast and easy to make and a very inexpensive dinner. Morgan and Antonio love them.

I also use the corn tortilla and heat them in a little olive oil in a skillet. Smile
Rockhead

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 08:37 pm
@MMarciano,
pork spare ribs, baked tater, and spinach / arugula mix sauteed with broth and butter...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 10:10 pm
still in recovery from lunch when I ended up with 2 servings of foie gras, as I'd ordered one (part of an appetizer) for my meal, then discovered no one else was willing to try the foie gras that was served with the cheese and charcuterie board
Dutchy

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 10:18 pm
@ehBeth,
Chicken Parmagiana Schnitzell with warm vegetables and potatoes, followed by Macadamian Nut Ice Cream.
MMarciano

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 01:53 pm
@Dutchy,
I have a pork roast in the oven, also making red beans and rice for tonights dinner.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 02:11 pm
Bought some small top blade (chuck) beef cuts - not a large amount. Will braise them slowly; thinking of using japanese hot curry disk in the braise, or maybe disks in the plural. Will toss in carrots and potatoes at some point.

Trying to make Breadtopia (Eric's) rye bread again - messed it up last time since my starter was about dead as a door nail. This time using packaged yeast. So far so good, this time.

Beth, I would have shared that foie gras..
jcboy

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 05:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Marco's pork roast came out wonderful and I'm stuffed, I'd cook something tomorrow but I think we have plenty of leftovers Wink
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 05:53 pm
@MMarciano,
gimme a rundown on your red beans and rice. I kill for a good version. If you give me the recipe and its good. Sometime, someday, you may need a favor and I will be there to make men fear you (said with cotton in my mouth like Don Corleone)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 10:57 pm
@farmerman,
My braise is lying in wait to braise some more tomorrow, but the rye bread came out almost but not quite great.

Tastes fantastic, lordie. Crust too crusty. But that's not the worst thing in the bread world. Maybe next time I'll get it right. Under the crust, perfect.

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:45 pm
quinoa with a touch of brown sugar and honey. topped with some coconut milk.

dried apricots for dessert.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I woulda shared the foie gras with you too. I was so surprised to get both servings.
farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:01 pm
@ehBeth,
PA Dutch chicken pot pie. Its a thick chicken gravy with big flat noodles and taters , chicken, onion dices . Its thick and flavorful. Its comfort food season.
Tomorrow its chicken scapiarello

Quote:
RECIPE
Chicken Scarpariello

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 2 1/2-pound chickens, rinsed, patted dry, spines removed, each cut into 12 pieces
4 links Italian sausage (2 hot and 2 sweet), in the casings, cut into 1-inch pieces WE ONLY USE SWEET CAUSE WE HAVE PLENTY HOT PEPPERS
2 large bell peppers (red, yellow or green), seeded and cut into thin strips
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and cut into thin rounds (WE USE PEPPERONCINIS ABOUT 1/2 CUP
1 large sweet onion, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
1 teaspoon minced garlic (ONLY PUSSIES USE LESS THAN 2 T of MINCED FRESH GARLIC)
6 to 8 hot vinegared cherry peppers, left whole
2 to 3 small potatoes, peeled, boiled and sliced (optional)(NO FUCKIN WAY< YOUR GONNA NEED SOME TATERS
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
PREPARATION

Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. In batches, brown the chicken, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken and drain on paper towels. Add the sausage and sautéuntil brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain. In the same pan, sauté the bell peppers, jalapeños, onion and garlic until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove and drain.
Pour oil from pan. Return the sausage, chicken and vegetables to pan. Add the cherry peppers, potatoes, chicken broth, wine, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until the sauce has reduced slightly, about 10 minutes.
YIELD 6 servings
NOTEThis is even better if prepared a day ahead. Prepare until the chicken has cooked through, then let cool and refrigerate. Reheat, covered, until heated through. Uncover and continue simmering until sauce is reduced slightly.
Originally published with FOOD; Book 'Em
By Jason Epstein, January 26, 2003
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Bertranou's L'Ermitage wasn't my first french restaurant - it just felt like it. After all, I'd been to some place on Beverly Drive where we in our work group all got french onion soup.. (I have a history of really great work groups).

Anyway, L'Ermitage and the dishes I ever got to try there, including foie gras, circle in my mind - we might have been there twice or maybe three times as years went by, for one of our birthdays. Always an arm and a leg, but I'm not so sure as much so as now , now all that much worse from, gag, Lawry's - speaking cost wise. This was in the late seventies (I think). Wish I'd had the brains to ask for a copy of the menu.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:15 pm
The braise is coming to fulfillment. Gahhhhh, the mix of the japanese curry disc and a later dollup of cheap cabernet and water have come to an ideal realization over the beef, with sauteed onions, garlic, carrots, potato slices., most of those added late. Took a while, but the gravy is to die for. The meat, perfect.

I've messed up braises in the past, so this one is great.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 02:11 am
@farmerman,
How about this recipe, farmerman?

1 lb dried or 6 - 15oz. cans of Red Beans
1 medium onion chopped
1/2 bell pepper, diced
3 stalks celery diced
3 cloves garlic diced
1 tbs. dried parsley
1/4 cup green onions chopped
1 - 2"X2" piece of Salt Meat or a few ham hocks
2 links of your favorite smoked sausage
1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce
Pinch of Thyme
Pinch of sugar
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Creole seasoning
Salt and black pepper to taste

Wash the dried beans well and pick beans for bad ones and rocks. (If you're using the canned beans skip all of this) Soak beans in cold water until plump (softened). Drain water, and in a pot cover beans 1/2" over the top with water and cook at a slow rolling boil for an hour. Add water as you need to keep the beans covered. Do the following as soon as you get the beans on.

In another pan, sauté, on a med-low fire, the onions and salt meat or ham hocks until light browning occurs on the edges of the onions. Add bell pepper, green onions, garlic and celery and cook another 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and continue to cook until the sauce slightly scorches (not burns). Stir often.

Turn the fire off under the beans and drain them. Refill the pot with the beans and fresh water to cover and put them back to boil.

If you're using the canned beans open them and put them in the pot.

Add all the sautéed ingredients to the beans, deglaze the pan you sautéed the veggies and meat in and add that to the bean pot. Now add all the seasonings except the salt and parsley.

Slice the sausage in bite sized pieces and add to the beans.

Add seasonings except salt and continue to cook on a med-low fire until beans are tender, don't let them dry out; add water as needed and stir occasionally (they will burn).

When the shells of the beans just start to split they're done. Take a spoon and mash some of the beans a few times on the side of the pot, this will make them a little creamy. Add salt, allow to dissolve a few minutes and start tasting. Add other seasoning to taste.

Serve on hot rice

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 04:58 am
@mckenzie,
That sounds like a good red beans recipe. I would add the andoille in there to give that smoky sausage hint. I think that this must be on the docket for sometime this week or next.
MMarciano

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 06:19 am
@farmerman,
I get home tonight I'll post me re beans recipe for you, puerto rican style!
0 Replies