Dinner tonight - or last night.

msolga

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 09:23 pm
@Dutchy,
What are Dutch croquettes, Dutchy?
Am I missing out on something delicious?
Dutchy

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 10:18 pm
@msolga,
You certainly are msolga. Have PM'd you about them. LOL
hingehead

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 06:36 am
Marinated kangaroo fillets with a quinoa salad.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 08:01 am
@hingehead,
My new favorite chicken recipe, that I keep mentioning - baked chicken leg quarters with a coating at the end of cherry preserves/soy sauce/melted butter/stone ground mustard.
If anyone wants to try it -
from SF Chronicle, Amanda Gold, June 26, 2011

Roasted Cherry-Mustard Chicken Legs
Serves 4
4 whole chicken legs (chicken leg-thigh quarters)
2 tablespoons olive oil
-- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
1/4 cup cherry preserves
2 teaspoons stoneground or Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon melted butter, slightly cooled

Instructions: Preheat the oven to 450°. Place one rack in the top third of the oven, and one rack in the bottom third.

Rub the chicken legs all over with one tablespoon of the olive oil, and season generously with salt and pepper. Place on a lightly oiled sheet pan (I use glass baking dish), and place in the oven on the top rack. It will cook for a total of about 40-45 minutes. (I set oven at 425 and cook a bit longer)

Meanwhile, make the glaze by whisking together the preserves, mustard, soy sauce and butter, and set aside. If it starts to seize up from the butter before you're ready to use it, microwave it for 10 seconds, then stir.

In the last 10 minutes of chicken cooking time, brush the glaze a few times over the chicken legs. Brush again five minutes later, and again just before removing from oven.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/06/24/FDIL1JUHCB.DTL#ixzz1darDdNgj

served with steamed green beans, a bit of olive oil, s/p.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 08:07 am
@ossobuco,
This reminds me - yesterday I made up some fresh mustard, have never done that before. I was out of stone ground mustard but have a big fat jar of whole mustard seeds so I looked up how to make mustard online. The recipe is easy - just grind the seeds and add vinegar or wine or fruit juice to texture you like. I used a small wood coffee grinder (figure a regular one would do) and finally opened a bottle of black current vinegar I've had in the cupboard forever. I hardly made a dent in the jar of mustard seeds and got a nice amount of fresh mustard. Easy, cheap, delicious.
jcboy

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 11:28 am
@ossobuco,
I’m off to the market. I’m going to make another roast for dinner, that’s the only thing I know how to cook well. I’ve been busy cleaning all morning for my sister in laws visit.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 04:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Hey Osso

What is kosher salt? Or should I say what makes salt Kosher?

I've never been a fan of chicken legs but that does sound interesting - salt and sweet. I wonder if you mangle it to work with duck breast...
msolga

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 06:39 pm
@Dutchy,
Thanks, Dutchy.
They look good!
Could you ask Mrs D if they can be baked (in the oven) rather than deep fried?
(I'm on my seasonal health kick. Smile )
Dutchy

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 07:02 pm
@msolga,
Hi msolga. Mrs. D advised me deep fried only. Sorry about that but maybe if you do some power walking you'll wear off those extra calories. Smile
msolga

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 07:07 pm
@Dutchy,
I might just do that! Smile
Thank Mrs D for the information, Dutchy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 07:59 pm
@hingehead,
I dunno, I've not bought kosher salt... I buy the cheapo iodinated stuff.

The recipe could go over any chicken parts, or duck parts. Dare I say turkey? I haven't cooked a turkey in years but the last one was good, also spatchcocked.

I can see the cherry jam soy mix over a variety of roasted/baked stuff. It takes two minutes..
and I suppose the jam doesn't need to be cherry.

Ok, ok, I admit it, I moved rather ignorantly to bbq land, aka New Mexico.
I've never given a **** about bbq. Still don't. But bbq matters for much of the southern U.S. I don't hate it, but don't get the adoration.
Caramelized sugar on meat fix.
jcboy

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 08:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Once I'm finished with this last container of Cool Whip I will be the proud owner of a complete set of salad bowls.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2011 08:44 pm
@jcboy,
Cool Whip?
MMarciano

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 06:24 am
@ossobuco,
I knew he would go there, loon!
jcboy

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 06:30 pm
@MMarciano,
Marco made his homemade carne asada soft tacos again tonight; first he made a fresh batch of salsa, cooked the meat, and had them with fresh tomatoes, avocado, cheese and salsa. Yummy!
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:09 pm
@jcboy,
That sounds quite easy to make. Just cook up the ground beef with assorted seasoning. Dice all the diceables up and serve in a premade tacos (if they can be bought in a grocery store nearby).

Okay, the homemade salsa might be a challenge without a food processor.

I wonder if grocery stores sell those taco shell "bowls" so one can make a
Taco salad?
margo

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:55 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Once I'm finished with this last container of Cool Whip I will be the proud owner of a complete set of salad bowls.

Cool Whip - are you some sort of masochist?? Razz
jcboy

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
We have a good processor, Marco gave me the recipe for the salsa once, I think I posted it in the recipe thread, it is easy to make, he marinates the beef then slices it up in small pieces and fries it in a skillet, doesn’t use ground beef. They are very tasty.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:57 pm
@margo,
Sort of, we didn't use it in the kitchen though Wink
margo

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:01 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
Sort of, we didn't use it in the kitchen though Wink

Oh - well - that's all right then!!! Cool
0 Replies