Dinner tonight - or last night.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 05:35 pm
@Pemerson,
It is loaded.. I forgot to mention chicken broth. The tomatoes with sauteed jalapenos and onions were a previous sauce (for pizza) that I diluted.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 04:56 pm
Morgan is making spaghetti with meatballs. He cooks, I clean, I cook he cleans.
msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 02:39 am
@MMarciano,
That is very civilized, Marco.
I approve. Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 02:47 am
Here's what I'm just about to start cooking for my dinner tonight.
Black-eye bean and vegetable soup
http://cdn.taste.com.au/images/recipes/agt/2003/05/13087.jpg

I found this recipe online & it looks OK to me.

Anything too heavy, or meaty, which requires serious chomping, seems to involve more energy than I have right now, so soup seems an excellent idea.

Black eyed peas/beans are my favorites.
I've soaked them overnight & now they're ready to go!
Haven't cooked with them for ages.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/13087/black+eye+bean+and+vegetable+soup
Dutchy

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 03:55 am
@msolga,
Smells delicious msolga.
msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 04:01 am
@Dutchy,
I'm delighted you can smell it, Dutchy.

I can't smell anything! <honk! splutter! >
msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 04:02 am
@msolga,
So what fishy extravaganza are you indulging in tonight, Dutchy? Smile
Dutchy

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 04:19 am
@msolga,
No fish tonight msolga, just plain roast potatoes with fresh beans and a chicken schnitzeland and sauce, followed by strawberries and icecream. Sorry to hear you're still battling that cold. Take care.
msolga

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 04:47 am
@Dutchy,
That sounds pretty damn good to me, Dutchy.
Enjoy!

Thanks for your sympathy, dearie.
Yeah, I'm a bit sick & tired of being sick. Neutral
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 03:36 pm
We will be too busy the next couple of days to be cooking so we will be having dinner out tonight. Morgan is a sushi lover and it's his turn to choose, so raw fish it is.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 03:41 pm
@MMarciano,
I like sushi and sashimi too. How does Antonio do with it? I hope he likes it - there is quite a lot of fun with trying it all.

If Antonio gets squeamish, he might like tempura.. if they make that at your place.

(my own problem - I don't like raw sea urchin, forget the name, something like uni. Don't like quail eggs, but that dislike is not related to japanese food particularly.)
MMarciano

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 03:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Antonio hates it lol, he will eat the California rolls but that's about all. We usually get him a beef or chicken bowl.
JPB

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 04:29 pm
@msolga,
That does look delicious!

Soup here also.
Italian Chicken and Escarole Soup

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2552/3996789278_fcf329da31.jpg

This Italian chicken soup, inspired by my grandmother's, is famous for the addition of escarole, a bitter type of endive that lends a unique flavor to an otherwise ordinary chicken soup.

Makes 8-10 servings

2-2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 yellow onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
4 celery stalks with leaves, cut into 1/4-inch slices
12 cups chicken stock or broth
1 head of escarole, chopped (about 5 cups)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 cup grated Reggiano-Parmigiano cheese, plus extra for garnish
2 cups cooked ditalini or other small pasta, optional*

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil (for easy clean-up). Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over chicken. Sprinkle with several shakes of salt and pepper. Place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Cook for 30 minutes. Remove, and cool slightly. Then using a fork, shred the chicken.

2. Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onions, carrots, and celery, and saute 5-7 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the cooked chicken and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce to low. Add escarole, salt, crushed red pepper, parsley, and cheese. Cook for 20-25 minutes. Taste it, and adjust seasonings as needed. Add cooked pasta, if desired. Otherwise, serve hot, and garnish each serving with additional grated cheese.

*Nan would add the cooked pasta only just before serving so it wouldn't soak up all the broth. I do the same. I'd also highly recommend serving some crusty Italian bread with this soup. How are else are you going to sop up the broth at the bottom of the bowl?

Recipe inspired by Susan Russo's grandmother, Nan. http://foodblogga.blogspot.com
ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 04:34 pm
@MMarciano,
I can't remember what california rolls are. Mild. Tuna and avocado? Can't remember if there is tuna in it.

I went through some of this with my niece. At four, five, six, seven, she would eat almost anything in los angeles' small restaurants, the adventure girl, and then at eight, suddenly didn't like things to be 'hot'. Got pickier. I figured, new classmates..

But I made an impression over the years. One of the times she visited me in Humboldt as an early teen and we went to a spanish restaurant, she turned and told me what she thought of her mussels dish - impeccable description, that's my girl.

When she visited, we used to cook together. Long history, in that I taught her to roll pizza dough when she was two. Well, sort of. Anyway, she would stay with me in her teens and we cooked a lot. I remember the suppli al telefono (aka, arancini), she loved those.

Trouble brewed, though, in that her dad, my bro in law, had turned even more monastic, and didn't want to dirty up his granite kitchen. (Don't get me started). So, she never cooked at home. Or elsewhere. Such a ******* loss.

Imagine when I visited this last time (late 2009). Of course I cooked, and he was polite. Cold place. She mostly stayed away from the house (in her early twenties) even though that is where she lived, except to spend time with me, given our needs to talk. We had a couple of whole days to do that, walk the beach, etc. Meantime, I have never been so freaked about keeping a kitchen clean. Kitchens aren't meant to be model home spaces.

Re Antonio - my opinion, not asked, is to not spoil him. Worldly goods can be signs of affection and joy, but they can cloud the view and even skew people's idea of love. Love is simple. People do not always have money, but they can often have love.

Alternately, love is complex, but that's another subject.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 04:35 pm
@JPB,
that looks good, but 5 cups...? wow...

gonna do bbq pulled pork sammich with bob fries and steamed sparagoose tonight.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 04:42 pm
@JPB,
escarole liker...
of course, none here (grrrrr)

Interesting, what it would take to get escarole here. I suppose whole foods has it, but I never get there. Seems difficult on the face of it, speaking locavorely. (Not that I'm a locavore, much). Or, my loca is more.

It also may be that no one asks for escarole from the produce manager..

The soup sounds delicious.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 04:47 pm
forgot that I had a real meal yesterday.

I got to eat with the talent. (emerson, my friend, emerson...)

I had baked tilapia with a funky pineapple sauce, steamed green beans, a weird chicken in yellow sauce, and 4 giant prawns (for Dutchy) with cocktail sauce.

also every kind of fruit known to wrestlers.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 05:22 pm
@Rockhead,
5 cups but 12 cups of broth!

I just had to switch to a bigger pot. There's gonna be LOTS of leftovers!
Rockhead

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 05:23 pm
@JPB,
yup.

I looked at it and decided I would have to half the recipe to be able to pot it myself...

gonna include Smoky in my dinner plans. just checked on him, and he's not eaten today. (but he had 3 beers over to the bar)
JPB

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 05:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, we got a bunch of escarole in our weekly box delivery this week and the only thing in my memory was chicken and escarole soup. I hope it's as good as I remember.
0 Replies