Dinner tonight - or last night.

Kara

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 05:29 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth, the nutty cauliflower sounds good. My vegan daughter and a friend are coming to stay a few nights...this might work
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 07:37 am
@Kara,
real down home supper last night. I grilled some chick'n thighs on the Weber (charcoal natch) and sprayed them with a mixture of vinegar, and bbq sauce really diluted. This promoted a good krispy skin and oiuter layer. Mrs F made fresh garlic smashed taters from our freshly dug spuds, (They were not ignored all summer. Our housesitters were encouraged to use a row of new potatoes since I planted them in a straw bed)
The combination of the chicken and potatoe mash (a side salad of cobb and onion slices with a vinegared up berry dressing was super).
Plain but we get more cravings for down home eatin.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 06:37 pm
@farmerman,
Onions/apples/mushrooms in gravy. Bangers. Oven-baked fries.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:17 pm
@ehBeth,
... street vendor provided slovaki in a pita bread pocket with lettuce, tomato, and a Tzatziki yogurt sauce.

And a bag of smart food white cheddar popcorn. [sigh] Bad times... bad times. Confused
ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
Tzatziki - always good.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:27 pm
@ehBeth,
That is indeed a solemn truth. Smile
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:28 pm
@ehBeth,
Tzatziki. Good on anything.

Drying, roasting, blanching to make paste, slicing dicing pickling.
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/alex240101/100_0981.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:33 pm
@alex240101,
Those are gorgeous!
msolga

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 05:34 am
@ehBeth,
Aren't they! From your own garden, Alex?

Tonight: sweet potato & paneer curry with peas.
alex240101

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:09 pm
@msolga,
Yes they are msolga. I will miss taking a stroll in back and picking food for dinner. Season change.

Breakfast for dinner. Sausage gravy, biscuits, over easy, hash browns. I learned afterward, that freshly grated hash browns need to be squeezed to drain moisture content.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:20 pm
@alex240101,
Two bowls of spaghettini-black bean-enchilada sauce-marinated onion-ground beef in adobo-soup.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:41 pm
@alex240101,
oooooo....I love brupper...or brinner. Dinfast. Supfast...what ever - breakfast for dinner is yummy.

We had garlic and herb marinated pork chops that I grilled, garlic green beans and wild rice. Tame but yummy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:47 pm
@alex240101,
Those little ones look like Scotch Bonnets or Habeneros? Shocked Thatsa some hotsa pepper.

Tonight Mrs F made an eggplant lasgna and a side of just nicely sauteed hubbard in a garlicky sautee.
I usually HATE eggplant and I liked the lasagna. Newxt thing Im gonna go out and buy some Birkenstocks
alex240101

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 09:03 pm
@farmerman,
Yes, you are correct farmerman,..those babies are habaneros. To me, they are not much good for anything,....I even dislike the taste,..I grow them for a friend. He likes that insanely hot stuff. Remind me one day to tell you the story of the first time I loaded a blender full of habaneros, among other ingredients, to make a salsa. The kitchen full of guests look like they were at a funeral.

If anyone is interested in pepper scale rating. Heat range in Scoville units
Jalapeno
2,500 ~ 8,000
Habanero
100,000 ~ 325,000

http://www.missouriscenicrivers.com/pepperheatscale.html

msolga

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 02:02 am
@alex240101,
Quote:
The kitchen full of guests look like they were at a funeral.

And this was before you started chopping the onions! Smile

Dinner tonight: Very simple fare. Plain steamed Basmati, with some steamed vegies on top. (Recovering from a bit of a stomach bug.)
farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:20 am
@msolga,
We had a Korean veggie thing with tofu and pumpkin soup all made by the same take out restaurant in Wilmington (Had some business there). I have to say that last nights supper was perhaps the vilest thing Ive ever eaten without having grubs or grasshoppers in it.

SOup was a pumpkin puree (which I usually like because of the nutty sweetness) This guy made his pumpkin puree in a Meat broth " that was salty and the resultant soup tasted almost rotten.

(Yeh it was a Korean outfit and their tastes celebrate the rotten)

The veggie and tofu medley was mealy and reminded me of deermeat (which I hate).
Even the desserts , a fig-filled puff pastry was dry and tastelesss.

All that take out cost like 30 bucks and was a total waste of money.

Were cooking tonight .
msolga

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:39 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Were cooking tonight

That sounds a very wise idea!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 09:27 pm
We tried a new recipe tonight - veal steaks with sauteed pears and gorgonzola cheese on top. Excellent. Even the kid ate two plates of it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 09:38 pm
@CalamityJane,
Sound good. I haven't had a veal steak in a long time, but when I did it was wonderful - and gorgonzola and pear make sense.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 04:16 am
I cooked one of my "signature dishes" tonight: the (penne) pasta tossed with gently fried garlic & mushroom, plus chilli flakes & lots of chopped parsley.
Pretty good.