Dinner tonight - or last night.

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 05:17 pm
@alex240101,
we have some assorted veggies like taters, onions, corn and celery in ours , then she makes a heavily garlicked chicken breasts and thighs and cubes them into the pie with lots of pepper and less salt because I use a K salt substitute.
Its good enough so no cheese is needed. Anyway, my wife gets all phlegmy with too much dairy.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 07:13 pm
Tried a sesame chicken sauce from scratch. Poured over angel hair. Chili paste cleared sinus.
Dutchy

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 07:23 pm
@alex240101,
Fillets of whiting with tartar sauce with roast potato pieces and salads.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 07:42 pm
@Dutchy,
grilled lamb popsicles

they were good but a bit skinny

I need something else
0 Replies

MegaFoodster

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 10:06 am
@msolga,
spicy chicken, white rice, and bok choy.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:11 am
Earlier then usual rise. Rode bike to boardwalk. Dropped a line in. Hello dinner. Definitely Drakes batter, fried. Will bury my hands in potato patch, see what I come up with. Peanut oil on stand by.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:47 am
,....and by the way,..is the trick to a good salsa canned tomatos?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 10:55 am
@alex240101,
WHAT???

sacrilege...
alex240101

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:06 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead.
Rockhead.
No matter what I do to all my fresh garden tomatoes,...whether I cook them,...boil them,., peel them deseed them,...or just put them in a blender and mix with other ingredients,....always comes out too tomatoey. I have tried every method of mixing also. I bet most mexican restaurants use canned tomatoes.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:15 am
@alex240101,
not the good ones.

(we are making special house salsa this week)

it won't be for the customers mostly though, as alas, our tomatoes are not as plentiful this year either...

we use pace for the masses (not made in NYC yaknow)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 11:32 am
Good Tomatoes.

Blanch and peel. (over a bowl, cuz if you are not already making a mess, you don't have good tomatoes...)

the rest varies to taste and availability, but cilantro has to have a small presence.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2009 05:45 am
Tonight: Msolga's tandoori lamb cutlets, cooked under the griller flame. Plus an Indian-ish rice, cooked with onion & garlic (lightly fried in oil first), cumin & cardamon pods. I got lazy about the greens & cooked up some baby peas at the last minute. Not bad!
Aldistar

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 11:38 pm
Fast fooding it tonight. Jack in the Box is good when you're starving at 1 AM. I'll regret it tomorrow, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 06:08 pm
@msolga,
we're having potato/lentil/mushroom soup tonight
crispy bacon/onions/garlic on the side

tucking this recipe in here for future reference

Nutty Cauliflower
Metric Ingredient Imperial
30 ml vegetable oil 2 tbsp
30 ml mild curry paste 2 tbsp
15 ml currants 1 tbsp
15 ml fresh ginger, grated 1 tbsp
4 spring onions, sliced 4
500 g cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces 1 lb
10 ml sesame oil 2 tsp
375 ml walnuts, toasted 1 1/2 cup
250 ml cashews, toasted 1 cup
15 ml sesame seeds 1 tbsp

Heat wok or skillet until very hot. Add oil and swirl to coat the sides. Add curry paste and stir-fry over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
Add currants, ginger, onion and cauliflower. Stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes adding about 1/3 cup (75 ml) water. Cover and steam for 1 minute or until cauliflower is tender. Drizzle with sesame oil.
Add walnuts, cashews and sesame seeds and toss.
Serves 4
ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 06:28 pm
@ehBeth,
I'd like both of those..

I'm working up (thawing dough) for pizza with mozzarella ordinario and marinated sliced vidalia and Kretchmar Hard Salami (??) slivers. By the time I get around to it, there'll be some fresh basil and maybe some sweet red pepper.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 04:22 pm
@ossobuco,
making something in the crock pot
I had an idea
then it kind of wandered away from me

I started by sauteeing thinly sliced sweet onion, red onion, fennel, celery and carrots
dumped all that in the crock pot
set it on high
put a half-pound of cut-up hot italian turkey sausage and some chicken drumsticks in the frying pan the veggies had been in
browned everything
dumped it in the crock pot with the veggies
then chicken breasts and thinly sliced red and yellow peppers went into the frying pan to be browned
into the crock pot
(no I didn't have to do it in stages like that. I had that weird, got-away-from-me idea)
tossed in a half-pound of quartered portabellos
mixed up some pre-fab garlic/herb pasta sauce, chicken broth, more herbs and spices (anything that looked/smelled kinda Italian)
poured it over all of the goodies in the crock pot

it smells and looks awesome

it's got a lot of cooking time to go Crying or Very sad I want some now!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 04:26 pm
pretty basic meal tonight

cut up a carrot, put in pan with a bit of water, added some frozen peas, cooked both, added a can of healthy choice chicken noodle soup, a dash of low sodium V8 and some basil, heat through and serve
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 04:28 pm
@djjd62,
and if I was a smarty-pants like djjd, I could be eating right now!

<sigh>
farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 04:46 pm
@ehBeth,
I like these "as-built" dinners. We often run over the flavors in the mind and then start cooking sans recipes.

I would have fried the turkey sausage a bit, no?
Itried a n idea up in Maine that gave us enough **** to feed us and our neighbor. I got some ITalian hot sawsage (hadda have the fennel in it), then some chicken thighs and pepperoncinis, and gharlic in a chicken stock out of a can. LOTS of thin slice onions and musharooms.

We serev it over linguini. Damn good and its not much different freom yours cept its way hotter.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 04:50 pm
@farmerman,
The Italian turkey sausage is hot. I could REALLY see lots of little red pepper flakes in there. Yeah, it was browned/lightly fried.

I think the double hit of fennel (in the sausage, and the sliced up bulb) should make this tasty. Pepperoncini is a good idea. I'll have to have some on the side. Set doesn't really dig the hot hot peppery stuff.
0 Replies