Dinner tonight - or last night.

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:18 pm
Tonight I think I'll cook chicken with lemongrass. (One of my staple quick n easy sauteed dishes.) And serve it on steamed rice, with maybe some steamed broccolini on the side, if I'm feeling energetic.
farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 07:01 am
@msolga,
LAst night we had pee soup with some nice hamhocks. ASparagus and some warm homemmade cornbread (Johny cake style)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 07:12 am
cheese omelet eaten as a sandwich on whole grain bread with a side salad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:27 am
At the first sign of coolish weather, I just had to make some soup last night! Very Happy A diced onion & some garlic, lightly fried in a little olive oil ... then some sliced cabbage, carrots, cubes of lean pork, pearl barley & some beef stock ... later some halved baby potatoes thrown in & a bit more cooking. Pretty good! (Seconds tonight & more for later on.)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 10:41 am
@msolga,
garlic sauteed in a little butter, spinach added, then piping hot cooked and drained pasta elbows, then a couple of tablespoons of ricotta, then a bunch of "fontinella" grated cheese, then squeezes of lemon and grindings of pepper.
Delicious, but I ate too much.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 10:57 am
@ossobuco,
I'm going to make inside-out eggroll casserole tonight. I'm curious to find out if it really does have that eggroll innards effect.

It's basically bagged coleslaw mix, sauteed with a bit of oil, soy sauce and spices (garlic/ginger/5 spice).

hints from a coupla websites
Quote:
Suggested add-ins: water chestnuts, snow peas, shredded carrot, egg, ground pork

Quote:
We added green peppers, celery, green onions, water chestnuts, and beef strips. Next time, I think I will go for pork or chicken instead of the beef.

Quote:
It was great hot or cold. I had left over shredded pork and chicken, added them to the mix and enjoyed for it most of the week for my lunch!

Quote:
used tofu and snap peas, which I cooked through before adding the cabbage. In addition to the soy sauce, I added some rice vineagar and toasted sesame oil.

Quote:
I sauteed two boxes of cremini mushrooms in cooking spray, and then added the cabbage mixture.

my likely add-ins today: sesame oil, mushrooms, onions, peppers, some kinda protein - I think this has potential
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 11:07 am
@ehBeth,
I made a couple of batches of egg rolls and frozen them, one batched baked, and on lightly sauteed (better). Yes, they have the cover roll, but I like that. They do, um, get less puffy in the freezer, primarily from the mung bean threads (cellophane noodles) thinning. Still tasty though. I've used slivered bamboo shoots, once a little ham, and cooked shrimp too, along with mung bean threads, cabbage, and whatever else temps me in the fridge, maybe scallion slivers.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 11:14 am
@ossobuco,
I tend to pull the innards out of eggrolls to eat them, but Set likes the wrappers. Maybe I'll buy a package of wrappers, do some with, some without.

Hmm, I wonder if I could put some in a small pie plate, put wrappers on top - sort of mmm meat-pie-like - and bake that.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 12:59 pm
@ehBeth,
Thinking... maybe the short square wrappers, used like tacos?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:37 pm
@ossobuco,
OoooH! That sounds good, osso! (Even before I've had breakfast!Wink) I might just give that a try!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:40 pm
@ehBeth,
Sounds very, very interesting, EhBeth! (Egg rolls are a complete mystery to me.)
djjd62

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:40 pm
just finished a nice salmon filet, with a side of basmati rice (touch of soya sauce and sesame oil) and brussels sprouts, yummy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 05:01 pm
@msolga,
Do your Chinese restos not do egg rolls as well as spring rolls?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 05:56 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I'm going to make inside-out eggroll casserole tonight. I'm curious to find out if it really does have that eggroll innards effect.

It's basically bagged coleslaw mix, sauteed with a bit of oil, soy sauce and spices (garlic/ginger/5 spice).

my likely add-ins today: sesame oil, mushrooms, onions, peppers, some kinda protein - I think this has potential

this worked out well - it's a bit shiny from the flash on the last minute toasted sesame oil (added a bit of balsamic as well) - tastes awesome!

http://images.ladypb298.multiply.com/image/1:plantspetspeople/photos/111/600x600/1/1-inside-out-egg-roll.jpg?et=TNBEI%2C96LH0cVIzoGpHK1g&nmid=216781195

who knew a $1 bag of coleslaw mix could lead to such a tasty meal?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 12:19 am
Tonight, to make dinner super-easy, I think I'll just boil up a batch of (bought but very good) pumpkin & almond ravioli, & eat them tossed with the simplest of sauces: gently sauteed chives in butter, with a sprinkle of chilli flakes thrown in.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 09:08 pm
Last night hubby made his salmon fillet with the cream cheese sauce over pasta...mmm, I ate way to much. Tonight is my turn and I am keeping it simple with fajitas!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 09:22 pm
1 lb fresh asparagoose steamed, buttered, salt and pepper, big chunk of colby cheese and a bowl of popcorn followed by 2 reeses peanut butter cups.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 09:36 pm
red snapper with a grapefruit twist (no lemons left) on the smoker with a baked sweet tater and broccoli.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 11:04 pm
We were bad tonight. Sister was staying over and I acquiesced to a request for a house specialty: fried chicken--two packages of those little chicken drummette thingees, dipped in seasoned milk, rolled in seasoned flour, and fried in canola oil until perfectly crisp and thoroughly done - served with homemade French bread, olives, carrot and celery sticks, and dill pickles as sort of a 'build your own supper' kit.

(I know, I know. I'll look into soy milk and tofu tomorrow.)
msolga

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 11:54 pm
@Foxfyre,
Don't feel bad, Foxfire. A "house specialty" (even a sort of rich one) is a perfectly acceptable meal when one has near & dear house guests. Especially if the house guests crave it!
And hey, you don't eat like this all the time!
So I hope you all enjoyed it!