My immigration laws

mysteryman

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 04:58 pm
J_B,
That law about foreigners owning waterfront land,or land along their borders,was originally written into the 1917 Mexican Constitution.
It has been the law since 1917.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 05:09 pm
Quote:
Legal capacity to acquire ownership of lands and waters of the Nation shall be governed by the following provisions:

1. Only Mexicans by birth or naturalization and Mexican companies have the right to acquire ownership of lands, waters, and their appurtenances, or to obtain concessions for the exploitation of mines or of waters. The State may grant the same right to foreigners, provided they agree before the Ministry of Foreign Relations to consider themselves as nationals in respect to such property, and bind themselves not to invoke the protection of their governments in matters relating thereto; under penalty, in case of noncompliance with this agreement, of forfeiture of the property acquired to the Nation. Under no circumstances may foreigners acquire direct ownership of lands or waters within a zone of one hundred kilometers along the frontiers and of fifty kilometers along the shores of the country.

I have no problem with this whatsoever. Again, they are the neighbors of the richest nation on the planet and I would see this as a combination of self-preservation and self-protection.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 05:17 pm
So then,you would support the US passing the same law?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 05:27 pm
As I said in my prior post, when it was an issue in the US there was discussion along the same lines to protect us from being bought up by the Japanese. At the time, I was involved in those discussions and thought it might need to come to that. The economy changed, the risk disappeared, and the discussions waned. If I felt that the US was at risk of being bought up by foreign corporations then yes, I would consider the need for something similar. Would I support the US passing the same law today? No.

Are Mexican developers buying up large chunks of our coastline? I don't think so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 05:46 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:
Why? Your entire thesis is based on an illicit premise, which is not axiomatic. Do you suggest that the United States should base its laws on emulation of the laws of other nations?

This is rich,coming from you.

There are many on here that supported the USSC basing one of its rulings on foreign law.
Now,you seem to be saying that our laws should NOT be based on foreign laws.

Which is it?
Should our laws be based on foreign law or not?

I'd not even give it a 4/10, guys--it's got strawman written all over it, and it's lurchin' down the street like a scarecrow come undone . . .

MM, i see you continue either not to understand or to ignore that all of the prohibitions which you allege the Mexican constitution to contain on the actions of foreigners in fact refer to non-citizens, and have provisions to lift the disabilities from naturalized citizens.

MM, is see that you have proven unwilling to address the issue that immigrants, legal or not, come from many more countries than simply Mexico.

You gotta expect this kinda think when you let a hopped-up pill-pooper like Rush do your thinkin' for ya . . .
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 05:54 pm
J_B wrote:
Quote:
Legal capacity to acquire ownership of lands and waters of the Nation shall be governed by the following provisions:

1. Only Mexicans by birth or naturalization and Mexican companies have the right to acquire ownership of lands, waters, and their appurtenances, or to obtain concessions for the exploitation of mines or of waters. The State may grant the same right to foreigners, provided they agree before the Ministry of Foreign Relations to consider themselves as nationals in respect to such property, and bind themselves not to invoke the protection of their governments in matters relating thereto; under penalty, in case of noncompliance with this agreement, of forfeiture of the property acquired to the Nation. Under no circumstances may foreigners acquire direct ownership of lands or waters within a zone of one hundred kilometers along the frontiers and of fifty kilometers along the shores of the country.
I have no problem with this whatsoever. Again, they are the neighbors of the richest nation on the planet and I would see this as a combination of self-preservation and self-protection.
Hi J_B,
Your projectionist argument would apply to Canada as well, yet we do not have such exclusionary laws, nor do we suffer from not having such exclusionary laws.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:01 pm
Setanta wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:
Why? Your entire thesis is based on an illicit premise, which is not axiomatic. Do you suggest that the United States should base its laws on emulation of the laws of other nations?

This is rich,coming from you.

There are many on here that supported the USSC basing one of its rulings on foreign law.
Now,you seem to be saying that our laws should NOT be based on foreign laws.

Which is it?
Should our laws be based on foreign law or not?

I'd not even give it a 4/10, guys--it's got strawman written all over it, and it's lurchin' down the street like a scarecrow come undone . . .

MM, i see you continue either not to understand or to ignore that all of the prohibitions which you allege the Mexican constitution to contain on the actions of foreigners in fact refer to non-citizens, and have provisions to lift the disabilities from naturalized citizens.

MM, is see that you have proven unwilling to address the issue that immigrants, legal or not, come from many more countries than simply Mexico.

You gotta expect this kinda think when you let a hopped-up pill-pooper like Rush do your thinkin' for ya . . .

Set,
You dare to assume what I know or think!!!

I know that illegal immigrants come from EVERY country on earth,and my answer is the same.

If they are here illegally,then they must be arrested and deported,no matter where they are from.
Also,if they choose to violate our laws,then they get no protection under those laws.

They also get no social services,no free education for their kids,no free medical care,and those women that come here illegally to have "anchor babies" lose their babies,or the baby does not get citizenship.

I have no problem with LEGAL immigration.
But,ILLEGAL immigration is a problem,and must be dealt with.

BTW,the vast majority of ILLEGAL immigrants ARE Hispanic,do you deny that?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:08 pm
Hi J_B

I forgot to add:

As to the presumed need for protectionism as per Japan; it would not have aided the US's ailing manufacturing sector, in fact I would argue it was precisely because excess protectionism was not engendered that the US's ailing manufacturing sector got the kick in the ass it sorely needed. (pun)

The simplified lesson to be learned is that it's more important to provide fair pricing/quality/section for US consumers that it is to coddle US manufactures.

I assert that protectionism via government interventionism is a at best a zero sum game. In essence the only viable from of 'protectionism' is a healthy vigorous competitive economy and strong antitrust.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:11 pm
the modern marvel of "protectionism" was George W Bush's steel tariffs while advocating free trade agreements.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:14 pm
Very big chuckle!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:17 pm
We dont need protectionism.
We just make our laws mirror images of the countrys we do business with.

Our trade laws with China are the same as their laws with us.
Our trade laws with Japan are the same as their trade laws with us.
Out trade laws with...insert country here...are the same as their trade laws with us.

That way,nobody can say we are being unfair to them,because we are using their own laws.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:19 pm
How does that policy apply to Iran and our insistance they stop developing nuclear weapons?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:25 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
How does that policy apply to Iran and our insistance they stop developing nuclear weapons?

So,
Is the US the only country insisting they not build nukes?

Personally,I wish we would leave them alone and let the EU and the UN handle it.
They claim that we are the problem,so we should butt out and let them handle it alone.

Unless Iran actually uses nukes.
Then we bomb them into the stone age and turn Iran into a parking lot.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:25 pm
How does that policy apply to trading with Canada and the implications of the CBC / CRTC, now that would be fun to watch!
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:34 pm
Chumly,
While I am not familiar with the trade policies and agreements currently in effect between the US and Canada,I make no exception.
Whatever trade laws Canada has regarding the US,we use those exact same laws towards them.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:34 pm
Chumly wrote:

I assert that protectionism via government interventionism is a at best a zero sum game. In essence the only viable from of 'protectionism' is a healthy vigorous competitive economy and strong antitrust.

The Libertarian side of me doesn't disagree, and yet I have no qualms with the Mexican Constitution reserving the right of land ownership to Mexican citizens. I would have no qualms about Canada incorporating the same protections.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:35 pm
J_B wrote:
Chumly wrote:

The Libertarian side of me doesn't disagree, and yet I have no qualms with the Mexican Constitution reserving the right of land ownership to Mexican citizens. I would have no qualms about Canada incorporating the same protections.

Would you have a problem if the US passed the same kind of law?
Or what if they made it retroactive?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:40 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Chumly,
While I am not familiar with the trade policies and agreements currently in effect between the US and Canada,I make no exception.
Whatever trade laws Canada has regarding the US,we use those exact same laws towards them.
Of coarse you don't know the trade laws or you would understand what causes illegal immigration and the reason why the government makes sure they get all the "illegal" labor they can get.

But why find out the truth. It would directly contradict your made up world.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:45 pm
Amigo wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Chumly,
Of coarse you don't know the trade laws or you would understand what causes illegal immigration and the reason why the government makes sure they get all the "illegal" labor they can get.

But why find out the truth. It would directly contradict your made up world.

Then tell us,oh wise one...

What are the specific trade laws and what are the specific reasons for illegal immigration.

If you are such an expert,then you must know how to stop illegal immigration.

Can we assume that since it still occurs that you are also in favor of people breaking the law?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:48 pm
mysteryman wrote:
J_B wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Would you have a problem if the US passed the same kind of law?
Or what if they made it retroactive?

I think we already discussed the first question. The second one is ridiculous.
0 Replies