lean hamburger?

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:17 pm
I cooks my meat, no matter what kind it is, very well done.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:18 pm
I was raised with well done meat... until I was seventeen and went on a documentary making trip with my dad and various others, for Armour & Co. Now, at this late date, I am not fan of the feed additive that documentary was about, and much less the fan of oldtime slaughter houses. But... I did go with all of them to some very good steak houses in Omaha, Sioux City, and Chicago. Man, did I like medium rare better! It had taste! No comparison! Cardboard versus delicious! In time I got to appreciate rare and carpaccio.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:20 pm
Not to be obnoxious. Some of my best friends like well done meat, fearing flukes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:24 pm
Ok, ok, I'll admit stock hamburger patties may harbor echerichia coli of whatever pathogenic (as opposed to the usual not) number. So, I wouldn't feed my antique uncle with hardly any remaining immune system a raw burger. I'm not antique yet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:26 pm
I didn't want to bring up the flukes, but that is exactly why I cook the way I do, to kill the flukes and also bacteria.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:28 pm
I like my burgers on the well side, but not too much. Just enough to get rid of the red.

Steaks are a whole different ballgame and is much safer to eat on the rare side. I like them Med rare myself.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:28 pm
In my high school and college years we had some serious pathogens flying about, and some fears that turned out to be unwarranted at the time, if not unwarranted before. Thus I learned all about tapeworms in pork. Well, there were barely any extent then, and they have not been seen in the US for decades. Thus at some restaurants the interiors of pork roasts can be, yes, pinkish. But we were all admonished to kill pork the second time in the oven.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:29 pm
Same here Edgar. I've never gotten sick from food, but I've heard the horror Shocked
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:31 pm
Oh yeah, pork is always well done in my house.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:31 pm
A lot of those horror stories are decades old, carrying long lasting repellence.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:35 pm
Flukes are in fish, and bacteria are normally fine except for the rather odd ones, like e. coli H something something from excrement that might somehow get caught in a burger. If you aren't immune compromised I wouldn't worry about it. But cooking time can be more a state of mind than based on science.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:37 pm
My immune system is weakened. I don't take chances.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:38 pm
Same here, better safe than deathly ill.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:39 pm
Rolls eyes at Montana but not Edgar.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:40 pm
And why may I ask is that?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:42 pm
Do you have very low white cells? Are you in cancer treatment?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:44 pm
Montana, i'm on one of my rantmobiles. My eye rolling is fond.
Dys likes his meat and fish well done, and he raised them, meat anyway.

I'se expressing my pov.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:45 pm
No, I didn't mean that. I meant the taking chances.

Edgar
I didn't know you were in cancer treatment.

Now I see why my post came out that way. I'm very sorry and I sure didn't realize.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:46 pm
de nada
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:47 pm
Foodfight !

<backs away>
0 Replies