Diesel

Montana

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 01:29 pm
I think I've decided to go with a diesel for my next car, but I don't know what kinds of cars are diesel, which makes it hard to search.

I know the Jetta is a diesel and I like it, but I'd like to see others.

Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,090 • Replies: 73
No top replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 01:34 pm
The new Jeep Liberty is available in diesel if you are looking for something a bit bigger than a Jetta.

Jeep Liberty
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 02:11 pm
Sublime
I really like that. I always wanted a Jeep and it's not too big.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 03:48 pm
For a list of all the curently available Diesel models in the U.S. (most are probably avail. in Canada too!) click the linky.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/ViewMarketCenter/category=market/attribute=diesel
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 05:11 pm
Thanks Fishin :-)
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 10:09 pm
Montana,

Good decision - a diesel. Very low sulfer diesel fuel is supposed to be available this year. I can't imagine what's holding it up unless there is a conspiracy by the companies that make Hybrids and big oil to prevent a demand for environmentally friendly diesel engines. People are beginning to realize that hybrids don't get all that great of miles per gallon compared with diesels.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 10:17 pm
This is what I'm hearing, Billy. I was looking into the Hybrids until I read something recently about how you have to keep charging or changing the battery.
That was the biggest turn off for me.

So far, the Jetta is my favorite and I just wish there was more of a selection of diesel.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 12:07 am
I'm driving Diesel cars since 10, 15 years now.

Actually, all cars here have at least two Diesel variants (mostly more).
(More than every third new car is a Diesel in Germany.)
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 12:18 am
Mine's a Peugeot diesel, very satisfactory. Quiet, and frugal.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 01:00 am
The International CXT is a diesel pickup truck with 4-door crew cab, oversized bed with power tailgate, seats 5 in superlative comfort, offers ammenities such as moonroof, keyless entry with remote alarm and start functions, heated power mirrors, multi-zone (independent front and rear, left and right) climate control, heated/cooled, air-suspension, fully reclining 8-way power seats, satellite radio, integrated A/V entertainment/navigation system featuring wide-screen flat panel displays, home-theater-quality 5.1 audio, BlueTooth Cellphone/PDA/Laptop wireless connectivity, and programmable/talking/mapping GPS preloaded with a full mapset of all surveyed North American roads, including over 2000,000 points-of-interest, food, fuel, lodging, and dining locations, and other locations/destinations. With automatic transmision, computer traction-control 4 Wheel Drive, 4-channel ABS airbrakes, 310hp/950Ft Lb torque engine, 70-gallon fuel capacity, backup-assist closed-circuit TV, and nearly 2 feet of ground clearance, along with a 6-ton tow capacity, it makes a Hummer look like a Mini-SUV by comparison. About the only place on land you can't take one is into a standard residential garage.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4572/cxt3pt.jpg

Why buy a Bentley when for the same money you can have one of these beauties - and know your neighbor wont! Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 01:01 am
Timber, you are a caution.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 01:03 am
Laughing :cool: I try :cool: Laughing
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 02:10 am
Diesel is being priced out of exixtance here in OZ. I have a pajero 4wd for work and paid (today) 1.40/litre.

5 litres= 1 us gallon (roughly) much of this price ($1.40) is tax. Be carefull with comparisons and exchange rates.

Diesel is percieved as a dirty fuel big trucks belching black smoke in city traffic and contributing to particulate pollution. I am looking forward to biodiesel.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:46 am
(New) Diesel cars must have here cats (since a couple of years) and soot and particle filters - so that's no problem (and Diesel is cheaper than petrol necause it's lower taxed - from August onwards biodiesel will be of the same price Crying or Very sad ).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 11:20 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I'm driving Diesel cars since 10, 15 years now.

Actually, all cars here have at least two Diesel variants (mostly more).
(More than every third new car is a Diesel in Germany.)

I've been looking around for a few years now and I've noticed more diesel cars coming this way and I'm very happy about that. So far the only person that told me I'd regret it is the owner of the gas station where I get my gas and me thinks he's the one who would regret it since my time at his gas pumps would be cut in half ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 11:21 am
McTag wrote:
Mine's a Peugeot diesel, very satisfactory. Quiet, and frugal.

Is it a newer car?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 11:23 am
Timber
That bad boy is a bit too big for this bad girl Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 11:28 am
dadpad wrote:
Diesel is being priced out of exixtance here in OZ. I have a pajero 4wd for work and paid (today) 1.40/litre.

5 litres= 1 us gallon (roughly) much of this price ($1.40) is tax. Be carefull with comparisons and exchange rates.

Diesel is percieved as a dirty fuel big trucks belching black smoke in city traffic and contributing to particulate pollution. I am looking forward to biodiesel.

From what I'm reading, the new diesel vehicles run much cleaner than they use to and since they burn fuel slower than gas cars, it evens out.

I am extremely interested in bio-diesel, but who knows when they will reach my neck of the woods.
Reminds me that I have to do some research on this.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 11:46 am
My Diesel - new model, got it more than a year ago (now done 40,000 miles)

http://i2.tinypic.com/t0jeah.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/t0jfas.jpg

That's from the UK-site, a Vauxhall, mine is a "German" Opel :wink:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 12:02 pm
Walter
That's a nice car. I'd love to have the selection you guys have over there.

The only ones I've found here so far that I like are the Jetta and the Jeep Liberty and to make a choice between the two, I'd have to go with the Jetta.
By the time I'm ready to buy, I'm hoping there's more of a selection.
0 Replies