Diesel

Montana

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:55 am
The Passat lost me as soon as I read that it needed premium gas and I like the Camery better.
I did some research the past few days and compared the Jetta to the Camery and the Camery beat out the jetta as far as gas milliage and a bunch of other stuff.
I know it would be much easier for me to have the Camery serviced in my area and even with the Camery, it's a bit of a hike (40 min drive) to the nearest dealer.
There's also the parts issue. I wouldn't be a happy camper if I was without a car for days because they had to wait for parts.

I still haven't found anything yet on enviornment issues to compare, but you guys probebly know, so between the diesel and the gas, which is more enviornmentally friendly?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:09 am
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:33 am
Chumly wrote:
Get a motorcycle like me, be brave...........

Recently sold my bike. Like losing a limb Sad
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:36 am
Go get another one right now, get a Suzuki VSTROM 650 or 1000..............now!!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 04:01 am
Chumly wrote:
Go get another one right now, get a Suzuki VSTROM 650 or 1000..............now!!

I sold it to finance the immigration of my fiance to Australia. Can't get another one for a few years.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 04:38 am
Yikes!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 05:37 am
Triumph (not Japanese) sell good ones.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 05:53 am
Is that my cue?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 06:32 am
checkin in on biodiesel. Weve been making it for about 3 months now, and the only real problem is keeping consistency between batches. My one field guy, whose taken over the "on road diesel operations" (This is a requirement to get your fuel production tagged in PA so we dont go around driving with untaxed fuels on the hiway). Anyway, hes installed a separate tank for commingling new waste oils and fry oils and theres a magnetic stirrer inside that uses large teflon coated iron nickel balls instead of paddles. This tank then slowly batch feeds into the next tank , which is for equalization and then its reacted in 50 gallon batches. From the 50 gallons we get about 40 gallons of diesel and 10 gallons of glycerine, and a small amount of crud that lays on a barscreen filter that he rigged from a sewage plant biofilter. (Its like a large plankton net)

Were only now able to do some of the economics since weve gotten some of the first bills for hauling in the fry oil and other indirect costs (like dealing with the states fuel inspectors.)

Ill say this though, the stuff needs a gradual break in period for full use in our trucks. Biodiesel actually has helped clean out the fuel lines and other areas that collected sludge deposits common with refinery diesel. Once you replace enough filters, Id reccomend that you stay with bio diesel.

Ive talked with a nearby farmer whose also begun a small biodiesel operation . (He runs a cattle hauling business and hay sales) He uses a really primitive reaction process and he has no sense of quality control , yet hes not done any harm to anything (apparently) Hes running massively impure biodiesel because he doesnt fully react his oils to get a complete separation between ester and glycerine. His only complaint is that he must keep all his rigs "plugged in" at night whenever its colder than 50 d egrees F.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 07:53 am
I was reading about converting from diesel to bio-diesel and since it takes a while for the old diesel to clear out, it would make sense to stay with the bio-diesel from then on.

Are you bask from your trip, Farmer?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 07:54 am
Chumly wrote:

Looks like we're going no where fast <sigh>
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 07:55 am
Wilso
You sold your bike Shocked

Now I know you're in love Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 07:57 am
yep, just about a week a month for a while. Im getting to like Argentina for everything except food.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:06 am
I gather the food isn't much, but I'm glad you like the place. From what I've heard and seen, it's really nice :-D

Did you do some fishin?
0 Replies