What should be done about illegal immigration?

revelette

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 04:41 pm
@mysteryman,
Democrats push rights for gays, a woman's health issues, immigrants, minorities and more opportunities for poor folks. From what I can see, most republicans push for the opposite of all those mentioned.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 09:02 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Backers of comprehensive immigration legislation are gearing up for a campaign to push the House to act, even as some begin openly voicing fears they're already losing the fight.

Congress' monthlong August recess could be crucial and supporters aim to exert influence in dozens of congressional districts home to Republican House members seen as open to reform.

Business and religious groups and others with ties to the GOP majority are under pressure to win over lawmakers through tailor-made campaigns from within their districts, involving ministers, local executives and other contacts. Immigration activists, labor leaders and others on the left are making plans for large-scale mobilizations such as rallies and marches to exert pressure from without.

"Here's the fact: We're not winning, so we've got to wage a campaign," said Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., a lead author of the Senate-passed immigration bill. "There are many members of the House that don't want to take up any bill at all, as you know. What our job is, we want to convince them to at least pass legislation, so that we can go to conference and work together."

The scenario supporters hope to avoid is what happened to President Barack Obama's health care bill in the summer of 2009, when it was savaged by irate voters at unruly town hall meetings, taking a beating it never really recovered from.

"August is a month in which either legislative proposals die, or they survive," said Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J. He said those who favor immigration legislation must be heard in August. "And if we do that, we'll be well positioned for the fall in the House. If we don't, then we run a risk."

source
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 01:19 am
I have decided that there should be zero "pathway to citizenship" for anyone who can not prove that they were here by the time they became an adult. any adult who got to America and got their kids born here thus got them American citizenship has already been rewarded for their illegal act more than they probably should be, I see no profit in making the problem worse.

What should be done about illegal immigration?...stop it as best we can, which in part requires not rewarding it.
revelette

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:48 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I see no profit in making the problem worse.

Quote:
A a myriad of research has indicated that Americans are correct in assuming that granting undocumented immigrants legal status would boost the economy.

The immigration reform bill would shrink the deficit by $197 billion over the next 10 years and $700 billion over the following decade, according to a report released earlier this month by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office. That's less than that estimated by the American Action Forum, the conservative think tank that predicted in April that immigration reform would reduce the deficit by $2.5 trillion over the next 10 years.

Granting undocumented immigrants legal status would likely also help the nation grapple with some of its other fiscal woes. The immigration reform bill would boost the trust fund used to finance Social Security by adding more workers who would contribute payroll taxes to its coffers, according to a May analysis from the Social Security Administration.

The conclusions are slightly more mixed when it comes to how native workers would fare if immigration reform passes, but there’s evidence to suggest it could help some U.S.-born workers. An influx of immigrant workers would give a small boost to the wages of native workers overall, according to a January analysis from The Hamilton Project, though the wages of low-wage workers would likely fall slightly.

Still, it’s likely immigration reform would create more jobs, according to multiple analyses. For one, immigrants now residing the country legally are more likely to start businesses and employ more workers. In addition, legal immigrants are more likely to vie for jobs outside of the low-wage sector, cutting down on competition.

source
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 08:04 am
@revelette,
the illegals working on the black market are mostly low wage so there is little to tax, and they dont collect disability, SS retirement or earned income credit thus on the whole saving us money. it would be better for the American taxpayer to leave them on the black market.
revelette

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 08:24 am
@hawkeye10,
If they were legal, they wouldn't need to work in the "black market." Even if they do mostly work in the lower wage jobs, they would still have to pay in payroll taxes which contributes SS trust fund. Moreover, undocumented workers already contribute 15 million per year to social security.

11 Ways Immigration Reform Helps The Economy
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 10:57 am
@revelette,
they would suck up more than they would contribute on average, just talking about the contribution side distorts the truth. it is at best deceptive to allege that getting them off the black market labor market would be good
for national account balances if the long term actual result is a negative. but lying while trying to get what one wants is all the rage these days.

BTW:$15 million a year works out to $1.50 a head per year. color me impressed.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 11:07 am
@hawkeye10,
Do you suck up more than you contribute Hawkeye?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 11:23 am
@hawkeye10,
The reason social security pensioners suck up more than they contribute can be blamed on our government's inability to adjust the tax base, and increasing the year of retirement. Don't blame what our government fails to do to illegal immigrants. That's just ignorant bull ****! My wife and I paid into social security over our working lives $131,413, and received through December 31, 2012, $421,432 in benefits plus MediCare.

Our government can't sustain this kind of overspending; it's not the illegals, it's our government whose at fault.

Advocate

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 01:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Clinton had every intention to increase taxes to cover the onslaught of elderly retirees claiming social security, etc. However, the Republicans fought against tax increases, preferring to cut the taxes of the wealthy. Bush achieved the latter in a big way.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 02:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think most of us know that ss is not sustainable because it pays out to people way more than they put in. we also are aware of how much we pay out to low wage tax filers in the form of earned income credit. this is why the argument that putting all of these low wage workers on the books would help the state of the books does not pass the laugh test.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 02:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
If you know that, why are you blaming illegal immigrants for the problems we are having with social security?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 02:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

If you know that, why are you blaming illegal immigrants for the problems we are having with social security?

I am saying that the comprehensive immigration reform advocates are lying.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 02:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
So, what else is new? Politicians lie; all of them that I know of - except my brother. I met a guy last March on our tour in Portugal who knows my brother . He even told me my brother is the most honest politician he has ever met in his life.

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 05:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
so what? REALLY! ideological verbal combat is a requirement in a healthy democracy but attemp to tell the truth as best as "you" know it.

lying is most certainly NOT OK!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 07:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Try to convince the masses, no matter where they live, that lying politicians are okay. We're not talking about "verbal combat," we're talking about politicians who lie.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 08:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
HAY YOU IDIOT!....

we seem to be in agreement here.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 06:08 am
Quote:
Cruel and Indecent

Family values are a pillar of traditional Republican discourse. But as soon as it comes time to address immigration issues, all of their emphasis on family unity goes out the window, replaced by advocacy for division.

This is the logical conclusion that follows from the KIDS Act, being developed by the House of Representatives. While this House bill would legalize the status of minors brought to the United States without papers by their parents, it would be the only measure the lower house would approve to regularize the status of anyone undocumented, unlike the Senate bill that initially aspired to benefit 11 million people.

The bill's sponsor, Majority Leader Eric Cantor, speaking in favor of the measure, stated that this is a matter of "decency and compassion."

It is strange to hear him using these words today, when the House of Representatives previously rejected the Dream Act and just recently voted in favor of cutting off all funds to the Deferred Action program, thereby exposing these youths to deportation.

This change in attitude responds to pressure for the House version of immigration reform to contain at least some legalization component. It is also a political strategy to place an unacceptable proposal on the table, exclusively legalizing a limited group of people, in hopes of provoking opposition from the Democrats, who could then be portrayed as betraying the Dreamers.

In reality, using Cantor's own words, it is cruel and indecent to think that the young Dreamers would be satisfied with a measure that protects themselves but simultaneously deports their parents.

Likewise, it is the height of hypocrisy to posture oneself as representing family integrity, while heartlessly promoting actions that divide the family home, whose human worth knows no borders.

The only aspect worth rescuing in this proposal is a strategic speculation that it might foster conciliation with the Senate measure, and that in the end the Senate's principles, which are far more just, will prevail.

For now, it is recommended to keep a close watch and be very cautious the next time the House leadership talks about decency and compassion

La Opinión
RABEL222

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:23 am
@revelette,
Heard the old saying "talk is cheap"?
revelette

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2013 08:57 am
@RABEL222,
Yes, not sure what context you are asking the question though.