What should be done about illegal immigration?

rabel22

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 09:38 am
@High Seas,
If the conseratives hadent destroyed the effectiveness of unions, labor would be doing fine. But of course big business dont want labor to have a voice in their government.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 09:44 am
@rabel22,
You have obviously not read the ACLU lawsuit I just linked - why not start by reading? Understanding is the next step, then commenting Smile
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 09:53 am
@High Seas,
Helen, that's not even marginally acceptable spin, you sticking with it?
High Seas

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 09:55 am
@dyslexia,
That's my story and I'm sticking to it, yes Smile You'll never find an economist to say anything different.
parados

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 10:34 am
@High Seas,
So are you arguing that Presidents have to enforce every law? or do you agree with me that it would be impossible for them to do that?
High Seas

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 10:36 am
@parados,
Another one who doesn't bother reading before arguing - that habit gets tiresome at times, sorry:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_MnYI3_FRbbQ/THuu6HKDKbI/AAAAAAAAClE/YUgC5Dp5q7g/s1600/aclu.png
dyslexia

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 10:46 am
@High Seas,
labor has been considered a fungible commodity since, at the very least, the days of Hammurabi.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 11:04 am
@djjd62,
Tyrants love to torture too!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2010 03:20 pm
@High Seas,
Quote:
Another one who doesn't bother reading before arguing - that habit gets tiresome at times, sorry:

If you are tired of your habit then change it.

You jumped into an argument. I merely asked which side of that argument you were trying to support with your post since it wasn't clear. If you weren't supporting either side then it would mean you didn't bother to read before arguing or you were just posting a non sequitor.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 02:05 pm
Quote:
Washington (CNN) -- President Barack Obama renewed his call for comprehensive immigration reform Tuesday, citing America's legacy as a nation of immigrants and calling the need to find a solution for the millions of undocumented workers critical to the country's common future.
"We define ourselves as a nation of immigrants -- a nation that welcomes those willing to embrace America's precepts," Obama said during a visit to El Paso, Texas.
"It doesn't matter where you come from. What matters is that you believe in the ideals on which we were founded, that you believe all of us are equal. .... In embracing America, you can become American. That is what makes this country great."
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/05/10/obama.immigration/index.html?hpt=T1

ONe of those American values that must be embraced is a willingness to follow the laws, illegal immigrants already are indicating that they are not the kind of people who we should welcome with open arms....a point the Obama refuses to respect.
Quote:
n terms of more extensive immigration reform, Cook said there "doesn't have to be a pathway to citizenship" for undocumented immigrants. There should, however, be at least "a pathway to legalization."

Only if we are going to embrace the idea that we long ago cast off, which is that possession is 9/10 of the law. Are we really going to codify into law that those who manage to get themselves into America illegally should have an easier path to being here legally than do those who respect the laws and stay out until they can come legally?? Cook is clearly saying we should.....one would hope that we have the good sense to realize that what he wants to do does not follow our values, and to tell him no. If we are going to champion the ignoring of our immigration laws then what are the next set of laws that we will do so with? The correct thing to do is certainly to rewrite the laws if we think that they are wrong, we should not be advocating ignoring them...ever.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 02:28 pm
Quote:
What should be done about illegal immigration?

Drop a few as they are crossing the border and leave their bodies right
there as a message to others thinking of entering the country illegally.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 02:34 pm

It sounds like Obama feels that he needs the illegal votes to win in 2012

Obama Turns Victory Lap Toward Texas, Immigration Reform

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 02:43 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

It sounds like Obama feels that he needs the illegal votes to win in 2012

Obama Turns Victory Lap Toward Texas, Immigration Reform

I assume you are referring to Obama saying that he will not release photo proof that we got Osama because he does not need to do a victory lap but then within days he is up at ground zero and releasing home video's of Osama...IE he has been doing a victory lap. However, highlighting that American has failed at immigration control at a time when just about everyone is in agreement that there is no will in Washington to fix the problem is not exactly a great move. We already know that Washington sucks, tyvm.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 03:14 pm
@hawkeye10,

In a nut shell, I am saying it sounds like Obama feels that he needs the illegal votes to win in 2012
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 04:11 pm
It seems to me that there are at least 3 issues in play:
Immigration >>>>>> Illegal Immigration >>>>>> Illegal voting by illegal immigrants.
This is not an issue I am following closely. If you have the time, H2O, please contrast and compare what Obama said today vs what Bush 2 said when he was in office. It will probably take you only an hour or two of research. Do you have the time to do that?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 05:32 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

In a nut shell, I am saying it sounds like Obama feels that he needs the illegal votes to win in 2012
Sure, but his problem is that blacks and hispanics have taken a shellacing so far in the Great Recession now again threatening to become a full blown depression, and Obama saying nice words about being willing to void immigration law to help minority groups is not likely to count much to minorities when they go to the polls. It will however be another indication the the suffering American people that Obama panders and is not willing to stand up for what we believe in, and it will motivate those who seek to see him removed from office.

Making a stand of allowing illegals to stay in America and encouraging more to come, take jobs, and drive down the wage scale when good paying jobs are very difficult to find is going to rub most of the legal american labor pool the wrong way, even the ones who happen to be minority group members. This is another case where Obama, once thought by many including me to be politically gifted, has shown that his political skills are not all that. Obama is out of step with the American people here.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

Sure, but his problem is that blacks and hispanics have taken a shellacing so far in the Great Recession now again threatening to become a full blown depression.....

Everyone is taking a beating courtesy Obamanomics... yes, the situation does have a real chance of getting much, much worse.

hawkeye10 wrote:
Obama is out of step with the American people here.
I don't think the man has ever been in step, or in tune with America and I don't think he has any plans to change the view of America he has from his lofty throne.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:12 pm
@realjohnboy,
Bush 2 did not have a very good policy to enforce immigration laws and Obama is no better.
Politicians see the writing on the wall in that legal Americans are fed up with both sides.
Their /\ need for power leads them to look at illegal immigrants as offsetting votes that keep them in power.
okie

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 09:05 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Bush 2 did not have a very good policy to enforce immigration laws and Obama is no better.
I think Obama is even worse, because he has actively sought to overturn state's efforts to enforce laws against illegal immigration.
Quote:
Politicians see the writing on the wall in that legal Americans are fed up with both sides.
Their /\ need for power leads them to look at illegal immigrants as offsetting votes that keep them in power.
That is true. Democrats especially know that they need the hispanic vote for their power base in elections, so they will pander as much as necessary to maintain and build that base, to heck with citizens and the laws of this country.
Ticomaya

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 10:05 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
I think Obama is even worse, because he has actively sought to overturn state's efforts to enforce laws against illegal immigration.

That's because setting immigration policy is the purview of the federal government, not the states.