What should be done about illegal immigration?

sarek

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 11:15 am
'illegal' immigration is cause by existing inequalities. Why is immigration between Texas and Oklamhoma not illegal while immigration between Mexico and the US is?
Border are lines on a map, drawn by those who are jealous of what they possess. Humanity can no longer afford such artificial division in this day and age. If we do not share, we die. Has Christ not said 'if you have not done this for the least among you, you have not done it for me'?
Advocate

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 12:51 pm
@okie,
You scream that Rev. Wright is biased and filled with hate. Frankly, I don't see how any intelligent black would not be filled with hate. The black person has been screwed over like no one else, and I am certain that this continues to this day (to an extent).
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 01:45 pm
@sarek,
To Okie,
I get what you're saying, but what is this?

'illegal' immigration is cause by existing inequalities. Why is immigration between Texas and Oklamhoma not illegal while immigration between Mexico and the US is?
Border are lines on a map, drawn by those who are jealous of what they possess. Humanity can no longer afford such artificial division in this day and age. If we do not share, we die. Has Christ not said 'if you have not done this for the least among you, you have not done it for me'?

What the hell is this? Immigration between Texas and Oklahoma? Last I heard Texas and Oklahoma are 2 States in the 48 contiguous United States.
There is a Country, South of the Border called Mexico, which is NOT a
State. It is a country, no? I can't stay over in Mexico illegally,
so why should they? Their first language is Mexican; our is supposed to be English. Last I looked, I am a "gringo"! Who the hell are you?
teenyboone

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 02:27 pm
@teenyboone,
To Okie:
Who the hell are you?
I wasn't referring to you. Was inquiring as to who is Sarek?
okie

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 05:55 pm
@teenyboone,
teenyboone wrote:

To Okie:
Who the hell are you?
I wasn't referring to you. Was inquiring as to who is Sarek?

I am okie. I have no idea who Sarek is, or what a Sarek is. About the time I think you have the most bizarre opinions on this forum, teeny, somebody shows up like Sarek and posts something bizarre x 100 beyond bizarre.
Irishk

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:34 pm
A Milwaukee County Supervisor who supports the boycott of Arizona explains it's because Arizona doesn't actually share a border with Mexico Smile:

electronicmail

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 08:55 pm
@Irishk,
Give the gal a break, she didn't read the Arizona law, wouldn't have understood it if she had, she never saw a map of the contiguous 48, probably wouldn't know which side is "north" if she had , she's the
Quote:
first Latino/Hispanic American to be elected to the Milwaukee County Board
and she had to take 2 breaks for snacks during a 5-minute speech as she suffers from obesity-related symptoms.

Arizona legislators can use more opponents like her accusing them of "racism". They don't all have to be from Milwaukee, most cities and towns can produce their own versions. Maybe we should tweet the fact Obama just ordered unmanned drones returning from Afghanistan to patrol the Mexican border? How do you say "drone" in Spanish, do you know? How about "unmanned"? Might we all get arrested as suspects of making immoral propositions if we tried to translate? Better refrain Laughing
electronicmail

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:07 pm
@okie,
Teeny made an editing error, her post wans't addressed to you. I don't know Sarek either but I like her biblical quotes, maybe she'll get to "render unto Caesar....".
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2010 09:18 pm
@electronicmail,
electronicmail wrote:
Give the gal a break, she didn't read the Arizona law...

She can read?
electronicmail

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 05:22 am
@Irishk,
The locals don't seem to think so. They're calling for a recall election to remove her (Peggy) and another genius (Elizabeth) serving on the same board. Sample comments http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/96611289.html#comments
Quote:
Well, now that Peggy West and Elizabeth Coggs have come out publicly and expressed their horror at the Arizona law, maybe the next thing they'll do is actually take the time to READ it!

Quote:
β€œIt reminds me of the days of apartheid in South Africa,” said Coggs. Are we to expect the illegals will now drive the ranchers from their land? Or maybe no one is illegally here in the US. Maybe Ms. Coggs could use her house as a stop for the underground railway to Canada. And maybe they could do Milwaukee a favor and take her along.

Quote:
Imagine if Apartheid was a matter of showing your ID.
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 05:53 am
@Irishk,
There's pages more comments on Peggy the geography genius, this from p. 2 Laughing
Quote:
Any surprise that West is anti-Arizona given her FaceBook interest lists not U.S. history, but rather Mexican history. I suggest she go reside in her country of interest and do some politicking down there!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:50 am
Immigrant farm workers' challenge: Take our jobs

Quote:
Farm workers are tired of being blamed by politicians and anti-immigrant activists for taking work that should go to Americans and dragging down the economy, said Arturo Rodriguez, the president of the United Farm Workers of America.

So the group is encouraging the unemployed β€” and any Washington pundits or anti-immigrant activists who want to join them β€” to apply for the some of thousands of agricultural jobs being posted with state agencies as harvest season begins

Those who have done the job have some words of advice for applicants: First, dress appropriately.

During summer, when the harvest of fruits and vegetables is in full swing in California's Central Valley, temperatures hover in the triple digits. Heat exhaustion is one of the reasons farm labor consistently makes the Bureau of Labor Statistics' top ten list of the nation's most dangerous jobs.

Second, expect long days. Growers have a small window to pick fruit before it is overripe.

And don't count on a big paycheck. Farm workers are excluded from federal overtime provisions, and small farms don't even have to pay the minimum wage. Fifteen states don't require farm labor to be covered by workers compensation laws.

Any takers?

electronicmail

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 11:13 am
@DrewDad,
That challenge has been made before, and answered before. In farms. And slaughterhouses. And public facilities. EVERY ONE of these locations was manned by persons who HAD NEVER HAD A VACCINATION and were not covered by APPLICABLE LAW. Concerning things like public health aka HYGIENE. You know that thousands of Americans DIED by eating infected vegetables or meats, right? And let's not even think of the tortured animals they messed with in their horrendous incompetence.

You belong to the very bottom rung of HELL for peddling cheap political propaganda while endangering the lives of your fellow citizens. You're in TX? Or CA? Where the **** are YOU? I want to know are you providing free buses from northern inner cities? And you DO plan to comply with such old-fashioned ideas as applicable LAWS? Amend your vampirish post accordingly and I promise you I'll personally post it in downtown Detroit and other northern cities before we lose another ENTIRE GENERATION. Oh yeah, there's free buses from MeHico to the North, provided by Walmart, slaughterhouse owners, airport "janitorial" services and the like, they've ALL pleaded GUILTY in federal court.

I'm with Teenyboone a poster here with whom I've rarely agreed before. I've HAD it with the PC hypocrisy YOU and teamObama and all others in cahoots with your sorry asses are peddling to the citizenry. I'm calling your BLUFF and I hope you'll put your cards on the table. YOUR MOVE.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2010 12:23 pm
@electronicmail,
You forgot to mention, "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 01:02 pm
Quote:
"I believe we can put politics aside and finally have an immigration system that's accountable," Obama told an audience at Washington's American University. "I believe we can appeal not to people's fears, but to their hopes, to their highest ideals. Because that's who we are as Americans."
http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/07/01/pol.obama.immigration/index.html?video=true&hpt=T2

The reason we can't deal with this issue now is not because of broken politics, it is because the ideas of the citizens are in rapid flux. We are rapidity moving towards consensus that the right solution is the law and order solution. Those who don't approve (most notably the corporate class who wants to continue to have cheap labor to exploit) can't now accept that a deal would look much worse to their interests then they would have just a year ago....they have sticker shock. Those on the pro law and order side see no reason to do a deal now when they have every reason to believe that their power will be stronger next year, or the year after that.

Obama came out today and made a speech about Immigration, when there is zero chance of moving this issue this year and probably not next year either...... When he had nothing to say but for bitching and moaning about the lack of a solution. He was playing POLITICS! He wanted to pacify a Democratic constituency. He is a politician, that it what he does, but when he also whines about how bad politics are under those conditions he should get slapped.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2010 01:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
Funny how the right doesn't think that the "Democratic Constituency" are citizens.

((I suppose it doesn't matter, as long as we still get to vote))
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 05:57 pm
This is the kind of idiocy that is trying to destroy this country.
And it is precisely why we don't need "moderate Republicans" running for office, they don't have any common sense and they don't believe in enforcing existing laws. By the way, the sentence in the article to be accurate should have read: "Powell, a moderate Republican, urged his party Sunday to support certain kinds of lawbreaking such as illegal immigration generally because it is....."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/19/colin-powell-illegal-immigrants-fix-house/

"WASHINGTON -- Former Secretary of State Colin Powell says illegal immigrants do essential work in the U.S. and he has firsthand knowledge of that -- because they fix his house.

Powell, a moderate Republican, urged his party Sunday to support immigration generally because it is "what's keeping this country's lifeblood moving forward."

In an interview with NBC's "Meet the Press," he said a path to legal status should be offered to illegal immigrants because they "are doing things we need done in this country."

He added: "They're all over my house, doing things whenever I call for repairs, and I'm sure you've seen them at your house. We've got to find a way to bring these people out of the darkness and give them some kind of status.""
Advocate

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 06:55 pm
I think the Reps have been soft on immigration because they see the illegals as cheap labor, which increases profits. They don't care that the related costs are killing state and local governments, and that the illegals are taking away many million of jobs from citizens, especially poorer citizens. Powell is not too bright, and I would expect from him the loopy views he expressed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 07:05 pm
@okie,
okie, You wrote:
Quote:
This is the kind of idiocy that is trying to destroy this country.

You call it "idiocy," but don't explain why. You say "destroy this country," but don't explain why.

We want to see credible sources for your opinions. Not what you imagine to be factual or true.

CLUE: Our country is based on immigration. We not only need the skilled workers, but also the laborers to harvest our food, and work in our service industries. That's what keeps our country competitive and grow our economy.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2010 07:12 pm
Right. The Right want illegal immigrants to increase profits, and the Left want illegal immigrants to vote for them. Rolling Eyes It couldn't be that people from both sides of the aisle just happen to recognize people from the other side of an arbitrary line in the sand as people.