What should be done about illegal immigration?

Advocate

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:01 am
It is cute how George, who hates Israel, finds a way to take his cheap shots at Israel and its supporters regardless of the discussion at hand.

There is a demand for illegals by business seeking to enhance profits with cheap and somewhat captive labor.

Incidentally, most illegals don't work on farms. Moreover, they are taking the jobs previously held by citizens.

Young blacks are increasingly falling into the drug and crime worlds as decent job prospects are shrinking due to competition by illegals. The former are brought up in households headed by women, who are usually quite poor due to their wages being suppressed by low-wage illegals. This keeps the women from providing a quality home life for the black youth.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:10 am
Advocate wrote:
It is cute how George, who hates Israel, finds a way to take his cheap shots at Israel and its supporters regardless of the discussion at hand.

There is a demand for illegals by business seeking to enhance profits with cheap and somewhat captive labor.

Incidentally, most illegals don't work on farms. Moreover, they are taking the jobs previously held by citizens.

Young blacks are increasingly falling into the drug and crime worlds as decent job prospects are shrinking due to competition by illegals. The former are brought up in households headed by women, who are usually quite poor due to their wages being suppressed by low-wage illegals. This keeps the women from providing a quality home life for the black youth.

Advocate, Prove this point with evidence; not your emotional outbursts.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 11:43 am
Voters oppose driver's licenses for illegal aliens by a nearly five-to-one margin, a new Fox 5/Washington Times/Rasmussen Reports poll finds.

As immigration politics explode into the presidential race, polls show Americans are taking a hard line on benefits for illegal aliens, including opposing driver's licenses and such taxpayer-funded benefits as scholarships at state colleges for illegal-alien students.

The new poll found 77 percent of the adults surveyed opposed making driver's licenses available to illegal aliens, while just 16 percent supported the idea.

Licenses fared poorly across party lines, including near-blanket opposition among self-identified Republicans, at 88 percent. Among independents and Democrats, it was still overwhelmingly unpopular, drawing 75 percent and 68 percent opposition, respectively.

New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer in September proposed adding New York to the list of seven states that offer licenses to illegal aliens, and the issue has refused to die down since.

Most Democratic presidential candidates have embraced the policy, including front-runner Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, arguing it's a matter of road safety and a valid response to the federal government's failure to give a path to citizenship to illegal aliens.

But those on the other side, including Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Christopher J. Dodd and the entire Republican presidential field, oppose the idea.

"I think we have to quit inducing people to come and stay if they're illegal," said former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson, one of the Republican candidates.

On the issue of public benefits, the poll's sample of California voters found 62 percent opposed state-sponsored college scholarships for children of illegal aliens, while 24 percent supported the concept.

The idea was unpopular in both parties, with Republicans opposed by a margin of 81 percent to 11 percent, and Democrats against it by 50 percent to 33 percent.

The state's Republican governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, vetoed a bill last month that would have allowed illegal-alien children to apply for community college fee waivers and other types of financial aid. Mr. Schwarzenegger said the policy would strain public finances and hurt legal-resident students.

"It would not be prudent to place additional strain on the general fund to accord the new benefit of providing state-subsidized financial aid to students without lawful immigration status," the governor said in his veto message, pointing out that California already allows illegal aliens to pay in-state tuition rates.

It was the second time in two years he has vetoed the measure. He also has vetoed bills to extend driver's licenses to illegal aliens.

Meanwhile, on the issue of enforcement, the poll's sample of 500 Texas voters found strong support for a crackdown: 75 percent said they favor police officers automatically checking legal status during traffic stops, and 66 percent said if someone stopped turns out to be illegal, they should be deported.

Even legal immigrants didn't fare well in the polling.

The national sample of voters found them strongly against changing the Constitution to allow a legal immigrant to seek the presidency, with more then three-fourths of adults opposing the idea.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 12:10 pm
Someone needs to explain why, based upon the above facts, our politicians seem compelled to spend their efforts supporting something the citizens do not?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 12:21 pm
I really don't understand all these discussions about the driving licences.

This is how it's done here:

Quote:
Different rules apply depending on whether you are visiting Germany, for example on a holiday, or if you intend to establish your residency there. The latter case is defined by holding an official residence permit and working there, being married to a resident of Germany or having other relevant connections to the country. In this case the rules of living in Germany apply to you.

Visiting Germany
If Germany is not your country of residence, your driving licence has unlimited validity for the class of vehicles for which it was originally issued.

Living in Germany
After staying in Germany for 185 days, you will be considered as an ordinary resident. If you travel abroad within this span of time, counting the days will start again from the day of your return. After these 185 days, your driving licence will no longer be considered a traveller's driving licence. You might have to obtain a German licence or a translation of your licence, depending on where it has been issued. In any case, you should apply for whatever you need at least 3 months in advance. Driving licences issued in European Union (EU) member-countries as well as Norway, Liechtenstein or Iceland need not be exchanged for a German licence, as long as their period of validity has not expired. Otherwise, you have to convert your driving licence to a German one. Some U.S. states have reciprocal agreements with Germany so that licences can be converted without further testing; licences issued in some other U.S. states can be converted after only taking the written test; click below for more detailed information. If neither applies to you, you will have to take both the written and the practical test.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 12:46 pm
Walter, The mind-set of some people concerning "illegal immigration" is several generations behind the times compared to Europe. That's not about to change any time soon, because our government cannot agree on what to do. They don't even enforce laws they established on illegal immigration, so in the US the topic is only "political" with no substantive action or laws. Some states and communities are taking action, but are in the minority.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:07 pm
I believe that Cicerone's assessment is incorrect. Immigration, both legal and illegal is indeed a problem throughout Europe, as is the subsequent assimilation of the immigrants who do arrive. The illegal problem appears to be at its worst in Italy where proximity to the sources makes Italy a favored entry point. This is no different from the situation we face across the relatively open border with Mexico.

The rather silly controversy about driver's licences in this country, arises out of the fact that, unlike most European countries, the United States uses no national identity documents or records. Moreover, the American people appear to have an aversion the creation of such a system. As a result, other forms of identification, ranging from social security numbers, to credit cards and driver's licenses, take its place in the increasing number of commercial and social transactions requiring verification of identity. The states permitting licenses for illegal aliens argue they are acting out of practical necessity and that the problem of illegal aliens is a Federal matter, not theirs. Those who wish to see both the States and the Federal government enforce the laws concerning legal immigrationargue that this action by some states constitutes defiance of our immigration laws. I believe both groups are just talking past each other.

The number of people seeking entry into the United States is very large indeed - a larger number relative to our population than that faced by most European countries. Moreover the principal source of most of these immigrants is more proximate to our borders. Add to that the internal contradictions of our long-term lax enforcement of law and unwillingness to adopt a system for national identification, and you get our present problem.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:13 pm
I think we should use Dennis Kucinich as a human shield.

What a douchebag.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:16 pm
cjhsa wrote:

What a douchebag.

fruit-cake or retarded psychopath? you decide.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:22 pm
dyslexia wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

What a douchebag.

Oooh did I hit a nerve mentioning that buttwipe? He's both of those things you mention and more.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:33 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
The rather silly controversy about driver's licences in this country, arises out of the fact that, unlike most European countries, the United States uses no national identity documents or records. Moreover, the American people appear to have an aversion the creation of such a system. As a result, other forms of identification, ranging from social security numbers, to credit cards and driver's licenses, take its place in the increasing number of commercial and social transactions requiring verification of identity. The states permitting licenses for illegal aliens argue they are acting out of practical necessity and that the problem of illegal aliens is a Federal matter, not theirs. Those who wish to see both the States and the Federal government enforce the laws concerning legal immigrationargue that this action by some states constitutes defiance of our immigration laws. I believe both groups are just talking past each other.

Thanks - I actually know but always forget that.
I driving licence is a driving licence here. Fullstop.
So - see my quote - even US-Americans can use theirs without complications. I'm sure that they've got passports as verification of their identity.

georgeob1 wrote:

The number of people seeking entry into the United States is very large indeed - a larger number relative to our population than that faced by most European countries. Moreover the principal source of most of these immigrants is more proximate to our borders. Add to that the internal contradictions of our long-term lax enforcement of law and unwillingness to adopt a system for national identification, and you get our present problem.

Certainly this number will be absulutely greater for all European countries: none has such a large population nor is as big.

On the other han - you can change the borders between any Schengen-country without showing any kind of ID-card, and as a EU-citizen you can work, liv, stay in any of the menber countries witout restriction (though this is limited by some countries re some 'new' members).

If you look, however, at the percentage of foreign citizens listed in the European countries .... well, I don't think, George, you're correct.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:33 pm
cj, with the literalists here, be careful with your wording. They are going to ask you how a human can possibly be a douchebag.

With the common market, Europe is a very special situation. I was informed that anyone in a common-market country can move at will to any other such country.

The UK is being flooded with such people, and this is changing the character and culture of the country. As a result, the Brits are leaving the UK in droves.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:37 pm
Advocate: The UK is being flooded with such people, and this is changing the character and culture of the country. As a result, the Brits are leaving the UK in droves.

You continue to make statements without any support for them through a credible source. Can you provide one for your statement, above?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:37 pm
I, too, think George is wrong about figures.

I don't think that more foreigners are visiting the US than its population, as it's the case in France alone..
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:38 pm
cjhsa wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

What a douchebag.

Oooh did I hit a nerve mentioning that buttwipe? He's both of those things you mention and more.

Oh yeah? well yo mama eats kitty litter. You couldn't hit a nerve or anything else even with a 12 gauge scatter gun. Just think of it Shiksa, Kucinich with Hillary as v.p. where will you move to?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 01:40 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Just think of it Shiksa, Kucinich with Hillary as v.p. where will you move to?

Wherever the hell I want. Preferably within range of those two. Laughing

http://www.iphotobox.com/uploads/c63951ac40.jpg
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 02:00 pm
This is an indicator of how satisfied the Europeans are with the direction immigration has taken them.
http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=106446
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 02:16 pm
Subject: Conversation with Jesus

Many times when I am troubled or confused, I find comfort in sitting in my back yard and having a vodka and cranberry along with a quiet conversation with Jesus. This happened to me again after a particularly difficult day.

I said "Jesus, why do I work so hard?"

And I heard the reply: "Men find many ways to demonstrate the love they have for their family. You work hard to have a peaceful, beautiful place for your friends and family to gather."

I said: "I thought that money was the root of all evil."

And the reply was: "No, the LOVE of money is the root of all evil. Money is a tool; it can be used for good or bad".

I was starting to feel better, but I still had that one burning question, so I asked it. "Jesus," I said, "what is the meaning of life? Why am I here?"

He replied: "That is a question many men ask. The answer is in your heart and is different for everyone. I would love to chat with you some more, Senor, but for now, I have to finish your lawn."
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 02:30 pm
cjhsa wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Just think of it Shiksa, Kucinich with Hillary as v.p. where will you move to?

Wherever the hell I want. Preferably within range of those two. Laughing

Eww

what we got here? The poor man's Lee Harvey Oswald?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 02:51 pm
Just a realist who knows that Hillary would never be VP... doesn't fit her ego...
0 Replies