I Was Invisible, Except for My White Skin

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 06:37 pm
Oh, it wouldn't let me in, either, when I just tried. That's probably why Tico gave instructions the way she did, no direct link possible. I'll try this:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/measureyourattitudes.html

Then click on "I wish to proceed", then "Race IAT."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 06:57 pm
I meant, re knowing better, that upper middles are no more a cohesive group, er... than any other batch of folks. It's a given that wealth doesn't equal merit, that wasn't my point.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 07:01 pm
Okay, Bella - here's what I think...

I understand why it may have stung to be dissed and ignored that way.

If it had been two whites doing it to a black, I think my first reaction would be stronger (not saying that's right, just saying I'm wired to kneejerk that way).

I think that kind of thing happens to people of color more often than you might believe, and...

no, I don't think that makes it any more right or good that it happened to you.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 07:16 pm
That does suck, Bella.

Heh. I remember the first time I experienced something like that. It was on a reservation of all places. I was very visibly different, and some people went out of their way to let me know they did not approve.
I'm mixed race: but my skin is pale, so most folks just categorize me as 'white'.
I always love seeing the expression when certain people prone to prejudice meet my mother. "Are you adopted?" "No. I was just born pale."
Laughing

I hate being categorized into a racial box. It's bad enough being inbetween several cultural worlds; never mind having to try to explain to others why your skin is pale/brown/dark. It's so stupid.

I took the test Tico put up. Reading more posts now, I think I may have taken the wrong one? Ehh...anyways, I scored "slight association with black as bad, slight association with white as good".

Kind of scary. I hope it more because I was getting lazier as the test went on, and that is the reason I swayed that way. Shocked
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 07:17 pm
I tried it. I got treed into making everything black good and white bad and to making judgements on faces and qualities like laughter. Fie.

Plus the whole hurry up mobile thing is annoying. "Don't think, we'll go directly to your subconscious".

I'll tell you what I'm biased against. Annoying tests.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 07:35 pm
ehh

the test didnt work for me either.
tis' ok
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 08:49 pm
yeah, I don't know about this test...I found myself dozing off....it was kinda weird having faces flash by like that, hynotizing....

OK
I slightly prefer Gays to Straight - jeez, I don't know, just as long as you're not all bitchy.
I don't give a sh!t if you're black or native american
I slight prefer young to old...That one I definitely take contention with, I'd much rather be talking with someone older than younger.

In the dark skin vs. light skin, I kept trying to pick a "light skin" and saying they were "dark skined"

seems light has as many versions as dark.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 11:17 pm
Back in school, mainly highschool, several of the black girls had a thing about never calling us {white boys} by our names. I went to a small school...we all knew each other, had known each other since grade K, most of us knew each others middle names, mothers names..etc.

They would say everyone elses name very loudly...Sarah, Sally, Sue... then call me boy, hey you, kid, boy with the long hair...never anything derogaroty...just everything but my actual name. One girl was the worst, she sat behind me in several classes, and seemed to always have a reason to get my attention for something, so it was a daily thing...kid...hey kid...hey kid. I always ignored her as long as I could, then would finally answer her just to shut her up.

A few months before we graduated, I was at that point that it really didn't matter anymore, so one day when she started in, I turned around and tore into her....to make a long story short....I've always believed that Snoop owes me some money for the phrase....What's My Mutha Fukin Name!!!.....which I said over and over until she finally said my name out loud.

I was not sent to the office.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 04:10 am
This is an odd result.

"You have completed the Black-White IAT.
The line immediately below summarizes the results of your task performance.
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Black compared to White."

But then, I think a lot of the white photos looked kind of mean.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 06:20 am
sounds like a sound research tool, there.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 06:32 am
Pardon me?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 07:12 am
He can't pardon you, he's not the Governor.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 07:19 am
No, of course.

But, before commenting, I am interested to understand the intent of Snood's post.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 08:12 am
dlowan, I figured you might take that personally, because of the proximity of my post to yours. I would have waited before I sent mine, but I decided not to tiptoe around you. I was simply referring to the many posts that have said the results of the test were confusing.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 08:25 am
I took a few of them. The one for White - American - Native American - Foreign was really strange.

If I remember correctly, it said something in the instruction about NA's being in pictures representing traditional AND non-tradtional, or maybe the word was modern, garb.

Taking the test, all the pictures seems to be from either the 1800's or maybe early 1900's.

One of the pictures showed a woman wearing a European "white" style dress, but to me, her face looked NA, so that's what I picked.....Wrong.

All the Indians were always dressed in what I considered traditional outfits, all the whites in "white" outfits.
Then to top it off, you were given photos of places (nepal, grand canyon, old faithful, anartica) that you were supposed to label as american or forgien.

I got the result on that something about I had no significant corelation between white/na and american/forgein.

What the hell is THAT supposed to mean!?

That Indians are seen as forgein?
That whites are seen as forgein?

If the first was the case, that would just be too weird for words.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:19 am
I don't see the 'us vs them' mentality prevalent in humans going anywhere. It is too deeply ingrained into our animal nature, and indeed is common all throughout nature. Drop an ant into a foreign colony and watch what happens.
racism, sexist, religious partisanism, 'moral superiority', nationalism, and even family pride...all branches of the same tree. Symptoms of the same cause.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:24 am
You know, it really p*sses me off when someone like you posts something with which i am unable to argue.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:27 am
Setanta wrote:
You know, it really p*sses me off when someone like you posts something with which i am unable to argue.

Well, you know what they say about a room full of monkeys with typewriters.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:27 am
I don't know who you are trying to insult here, but for myself, i was just kidding, which i suspect the good Doktor knows . . .
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:33 am
Setanta wrote:
I don't know who you are trying to insult here, but for myself, i was just kidding, which i suspect the good Doktor knows . . .

No insult intended - simply referring to the old adage that says if you put monkeys with typewriters long enough, they'll produce a novel. I was commenting on the probability that eventually we will all agree on something.

I try to keep my insults obvious...
0 Replies