Dept of Education caused problems

parados

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 12:32 pm
okie wrote:

Correct me Mr. Expert if I am wrong, but my impression is that from 1930 to 1960, the feds involvement was primarily in the way of providing food commodities, school lunch assistance, and the like, and they were not much involved in the actual teaching and curriculum of the schools, so therefore they can take very very little credit in increasing the graduation rates.
Funny, many studies say just the opposite when it comes to nutrition and education.

Quote:
We have child nutrition programs in South Carolina schools because what we eat affects how we learn. There is a strong link between nutrition and cognitive development.

Undernutrition can permanently retard mental and physical development.
The longer a child's nutritional needs are not met, the greater the chance that child has of permanent cognitive impairment.
Hungry children perform lower on standardized tests.
Hunger and undernutrition are related to tiredness and low academic performance.
Center on Hunger, Poverty and Nutrition Policy, Tufts University. "The Link Between Nutrition and Cognitive Development in Children," Tufts University, 1998.

Murphy JM. Pagano ME, Nachmani J. Sperling P, Kane S, Kleinman RE. "The Relationship of School Breakfast to Psychosocial and Academic Functioning," Arch of Pediatric and Adolescents Med. 1998; 152: 899-906.

Minnesota Department of Children, Families, and Learning. "School Breakfast Programs: Energizing the Classroom," February 1997.

Quote:
I think the graduation rate increase had much more to do with the increased industrialization of society and therefore people decided they needed education to succeed.
There are many reasons for graduation rates to change. But yet you argue for a direct link when it comes to Federal spending that completely ignores any other possible reasons.

Quote:
People aren't stupid without the government telling them what they need to do every minute of the day for crying out loud.
Federal funding for education doesn't tell people what to do every minute of the day. More demagogy from you okie.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:06 pm
okie wrote:

My information was from the link I provided you, which I think was from 2001. Did you read it? And you can't find verification from your chosen sources on the link I provided. Why don't you believe the source given?Perhaps call Dick Armey and he would probably remember it.

I used the information from your source to go directly to the committee it claims did the report. I gave a link to the committee's website. The committee lists no such report in 1995-1996. A search of the NYTimes from Feb 20, 1996 to March 20, 1996 shows no story on Armey or McKeon on the issue. Nothing from that time range in the LATimes. Nothing in Washington Post. A perusal of the entire listing of meetings of the committee during 1995 and early 1996 shows no such issue on their agenda. The committee mainly deals with adult education.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 01:19 pm
Obviously, we need to eat to be healthy, but Parados can you provide a shred of evidence that schools providing breakfasts versus kids eating at home has increased learning. Not just an opinion, some feeling, or assumption by some doctor somewhere. Where's the factual and conclusive evidence?

P.S. If the NY Times did not report something, it certainly does not indicate it didn't happen.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 02:32 pm
Check this out:

http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/hslda/200312/200312040.asp

Superior results for 10% of the cost. Seems to me the public education proponents need to go talk to these people for some advice.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 03:48 pm
I cited 3 studies that show nutrition aids learning, perhaps you missed them.
parados wrote:
Center on Hunger, Poverty and Nutrition Policy, Tufts University. "The Link Between Nutrition and Cognitive Development in Children," Tufts University, 1998.

Murphy JM. Pagano ME, Nachmani J. Sperling P, Kane S, Kleinman RE. "The Relationship of School Breakfast to Psychosocial and Academic Functioning," Arch of Pediatric and Adolescents Med. 1998; 152: 899-906.

Minnesota Department of Children, Families, and Learning. "School Breakfast Programs: Energizing the Classroom," February 1997.

I didn't just use the NYTimes for a source. I asked 3 leading papers. The simple fact that none of the 3 reported something leads me to believe that it either didn't happen or it didn't say what a single biased website said it did. But I didn't just rely on news reports. I went to the Congressional website which keeps records of committee reports and publishes them. No such report was published. I checked the legislation from the committee. They never proposed to eliminate unconstitutional laws. They held public hearings in January of 1996 but no mention of unconstitional laws in the summary of those hearings. I haven't yet found a full transcript. It is looking like home school legal defense is biased.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 04:42 pm
okie wrote:
Check this out:

Superior results for 10% of the cost. Seems to me the public education proponents need to go talk to these people for some advice.

Statements made by a website with no way to verify them. To paraphrase you on this...
Can you provide a shred of evidence, Not just an opinion, some feeling, or assumption by some website promoting home schooling. Where's the factual and conclusive evidence?

But lets examine the "facts" on your website.. it claims..
Quote:
Each year, about 16,000 students nationwide qualify as semifinalists. The National Merit Scholarship Corporation has announced that 250 of 2004's semifinalists are homeschool students.
At http://nces.ed.gov/nhes/homeschool/ we find 2.2% of students were home schooled in 2003.

16,000 National Merit Scholars x 2.2% = 352.
So in reality, home schooled kids did worse than other students in being National Merit Scholars. (There is no break out by age of home schooled so it is impossible to tell accuracy for sure.)

I am curious where the site gets its ACT and SAT figures. SAT doesn't break out home schoolers
http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/about/news_info/cbsenior/yr2002/pdf/2002_TOTAL_GROUP_REPORT.pdf
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 04:48 pm
okie wrote:
Check this out:

Put down the crack pipe. You are posting propaganda. Again, no reliable data exists confirming the effectiveness of home schooling.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:36 pm
parados wrote:

But lets examine the "facts" on your website.. it claims..
Quote:
Each year, about 16,000 students nationwide qualify as semifinalists. The National Merit Scholarship Corporation has announced that 250 of 2004's semifinalists are homeschool students.
At http://nces.ed.gov/nhes/homeschool/ we find 2.2% of students were home schooled in 2003.

16,000 National Merit Scholars x 2.2% = 352.
So in reality, home schooled kids did worse than other students in being National Merit Scholars. (There is no break out by age of home schooled so it is impossible to tell accuracy for sure.)

I did the math earlier hoping to get a better result Very Happy but since it came out like you illustrated, I didn't post it. I admit my bias Very Happy I commend you Parados for sniffing out this aspect of it. I would point out however that the figures are not radically different from public schools. Also, one would need to know the percentages of home schoolers that show no interest in attending college, or the number that may qualify but simply do not hear about the program or apply for it. Also, as you point out, since home schooling is on the increase, it could be that there are greater numbers of kids proportionately that are in the lower grades. Also, we see the merit scholar home schoolers on the increase, at least in the numbers I've seen.

As I've said before, I was not home schooled, and I do not think I would recommend it for everybody, however, I think the experiences of and the achievements of home schooling can be very instructive as to how we might reform and improve the public school system. We keep spending alot more money on schools with no appreciable or commensurate improvement of education. We are going down the same old tired path of throwing money at the situation. We need radical reform.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 07:00 am
We are going down the path of you not answering the questions I asked.

Where did you get your information for graduation rates? Is it the same methodology for all the data points? Why does your graph show a decrease in graduation in the 1980s when 3 other studies have shown increases? If your data is innaccurate how can we believe your conclusions?

What is the context I took your statements out of that would change their meaning?

How can the Dept of Education be the result of more spending at the same time it causes more spending? Since spending increased without the Dept of education why would eliminating the Dept decrease spending? Isn't spending the result of congressional action and not from Dept action?

Is 1960-1978 before 1979 or not? Were schools great from 1960-1979 or not? Did the Federal government provide MORE of local school budgets from 1965-1978 than they did from 1980-1998?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 09:53 am
Quote:

Where did you get your information for graduation rates? Is it the same methodology for all the data points? Why does your graph show a decrease in graduation in the 1980s when 3 other studies have shown increases? If your data is innaccurate how can we believe your conclusions?

This site until their data quits about 1990:
http://www.ecs.org/html/offsite.asp?document=http%3A%2F%2Fnces%2Eed%2Egov%2Fpubs93%2F93442%2Epdf
To complete the graph, I found the following for 2001:
http://www.urban.org/publications/410936.html
Whether or not every figure is perfect, I think the overall trend is pretty accurate and the overall conclusion concerning graduation rates and federal spending does not change. If you like your figure better for 2000, the conclusion still does not change in regard to federal spending affecting the rate.

Quote:
What is the context I took your statements out of that would change their meaning?

I can get into that in another post if you wish. I would rather answer your more specific questions now.

Quote:
How can the Dept of Education be the result of more spending at the same time it causes more spending? Since spending increased without the Dept of education why would eliminating the Dept decrease spending? Isn't spending the result of congressional action and not from Dept action?

Simple to understand. More spending and bureaucracratic initiatives in regard to education increased the pressure and perceived need to elevate the importance of education as a federal function and thus create the more visible and more powerful Department of Education, then once this has occurred, the Department further justifies its importance and standing by advancing more bureaucracy. That is what bureaucrats do.

Quote:
Is 1960-1978 before 1979 or not? Were schools great from 1960-1979 or not? Did the Federal government provide MORE of local school budgets from 1965-1978 than they did from 1980-1998?

1960-1978 is before 1979. I already clarified that the spending was greater before 1979 than I thought, but as I've already said more than once, this was part and parcel to the reason why the Department was created. I used the wiring analogy whereby the wiring is installed before the switch is turned on. To advance that analogy, once the wiring is in place and the switch is turned on, then it follows that numerous appliances and other useless gadgetry can and will be added to the system because a state of the art powerful system is now in place, until such time that more breakers are required and more wiring is required. Beautiful analogy isn't it? To further explain your question, simply look at my graph where Reagan and Bush I apparently slowed down the federal spending growth, but with the bureaucracy in place, when Clinton and Bush II came along, it is only natural that spending spirals out of control again, much like adding more gadgetry and appliances to the system, because the system is in place. Its called the Department of Education. Without the department and the already accepted greater emphasis of federal involvement in education, I doubt programs like the NCLB Act would have become law. The thousands of bureaucrats in the department are working full time thinking of ways, including new ways, to spend all the money they can. "Its for the children." "It takes a village."

I've mentioned this before, but expressing federal expenditures only as a percentage of the total does not tell the whole story. Local and state spending was rapidly increasing all the time, as was the federal, and at various times the local and state growth happened to outstrip the federal growth, which dampened the figure expressed as a percentage attributed to the feds, but the fact is that the feds spending has been rapidly increasing faster than inflation. I've also pointed out that unfunded mandates are very hard to measure. Many states and districts have accused the feds of costing them money, and could this be at least the partial cause of the rapid growth in state and district spending as well. I think it is. It is not just okie's opinion. From what I've gathered during my study of this issue, it is also the opinion of many state and local education authorities. Have you ever considered the possibility Parados, that you are the one out of touch with what is happening here?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 07:20 pm
Quote:
Quote:

This site until their data quits about 1990:
http://www.ecs.org/html/offsite.asp?document=http%3A%2F%2Fnces%2Eed%2Egov%2Fpubs93%2F93442%2Epdf

Their data quits in 1992 and it is at 75% graduation in 1992. You have it below 70% in 1990 when it was 74%. Your chart has very little relation to the numbers in table 19. You selected a few and ignored the rest. From 1963-1992 the graduation rate never went below 70%. Then you changed methodology for 2001. If you stayed with the same methodology the graduation rate would have been about 74% for 2001 based on graduation numbers 2.8 million and number of 17 year olds, 3.75 million.
Quote:

To complete the graph, I found the following for 2001:
http://www.urban.org/publications/410936.html
Whether or not every figure is perfect, I think the overall trend is pretty accurate and the overall conclusion concerning graduation rates and federal spending does not change. If you like your figure better for 2000, the conclusion still does not change in regard to federal spending affecting the rate.
The conclusion changes dramatically if you use the same methodology and chart the numbers accurately. You tried to show a decline. In reality no such decline existed. You claimed the non existent decline showed Fed spending failed. Your conclusion is based on false data and can't be drawn as you stated.

Quote:
Quote:

I can get into that in another post if you wish. I would rather answer your more specific questions now.

Quote:

Simple to understand. More spending and bureaucracratic initiatives in regard to education increased the pressure and perceived need to elevate the importance of education as a federal function and thus create the more visible and more powerful Department of Education, then once this has occurred, the Department further justifies its importance and standing by advancing more bureaucracy. That is what bureaucrats do.
There is a major problem though. Spending went down not up when the Dept of Education was formed. Your conclusions are contrary to the facts. YOu can't claim the Dept caused higher spending when the opposite occurred. Your statement makes no sense in light of the actual facts.
Quote:
Which makes your original statement untrue. You refuse to admit that.
Quote:

1960-1978 is before 1979. I already clarified that the spending was greater before 1979 than I thought, but as I've already said more than once, this was part and parcel to the reason why the Department was created. I used the wiring analogy whereby the wiring is installed before the switch is turned on. To advance that analogy, once the wiring is in place and the switch is turned on, then it follows that numerous appliances and other useless gadgetry can and will be added to the system because a state of the art powerful system is now in place, until such time that more breakers are required and more wiring is required. Beautiful analogy isn't it? To further explain your question, simply look at my graph where Reagan and Bush I apparently slowed down the federal spending growth, but with the bureaucracy in place, when Clinton and Bush II came along, it is only natural that spending spirals out of control again, much like adding more gadgetry and appliances to the system, because the system is in place. Its called the Department of Education. Without the department and the already accepted greater emphasis of federal involvement in education, I doubt programs like the NCLB Act would have become law. The thousands of bureaucrats in the department are working full time thinking of ways, including new ways, to spend all the money they can. "Its for the children." "It takes a village."
Which directly contradicts your claim that eliminating the Dept of Education would save lots of money. The Dept of Education has little to do with spending increases.
Quote:

I've mentioned this before, but expressing federal expenditures only as a percentage of the total does not tell the whole story. Local and state spending was rapidly increasing all the time, as was the federal, and at various times the local and state growth happened to outstrip the federal growth, which dampened the figure expressed as a percentage attributed to the feds, but the fact is that the feds spending has been rapidly increasing faster than inflation. I've also pointed out that unfunded mandates are very hard to measure. Many states and districts have accused the feds of costing them money, and could this be at least the partial cause of the rapid growth in state and district spending as well. I think it is. It is not just okie's opinion. From what I've gathered during my study of this issue, it is also the opinion of many state and local education authorities. Have you ever considered the possibility Parados, that you are the one out of touch with what is happening here?
Some of what you say is true. But it doesn't make your demagogy not be demagogy. Eliminating the Dept of Education won't save billions. The schools were not great before 1979 because they were almost completely funded by local districts. We haven't even established a base line for when you actually think schools were great. You won't give me dates. 1950- graduation rate was 59%.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 04:11 am
parados wrote:
Their data quits in 1992 and it is at 75% graduation in 1992. You have it below 70% in 1990 when it was 74%. Your chart has very little relation to the numbers in table 19. You selected a few and ignored the rest. From 1963-1992 the graduation rate never went below 70%. Then you changed methodology for 2001. If you stayed with the same methodology the graduation rate would have been about 74% for 2001 based on graduation numbers 2.8 million and number of 17 year olds, 3.75 million.

You are correct. For some reason I missed the 1990 data point. You may not believe me, but it was unintentional. I put the graph together rather quickly and added the graduation rate just before scanning it, and took the time to plot only at each 10 year point, and did also miss the 1990 one. When I get time, I will fine tune the graph and rescan, but I do not think it changes the overall conclusion, that graduation rates had achieved most of the increase before federal education programs, and the trend was upward and would have very likely been similar regardless of federal education spending.

Quote:
The conclusion changes dramatically if you use the same methodology and chart the numbers accurately. You tried to show a decline. In reality no such decline existed. You claimed the non existent decline showed Fed spending failed. Your conclusion is based on false data and can't be drawn as you stated.

To be honest, the decline surprised me, but how do you account for the link I provided showing the 68% rate for 2001? I admit it is a different source, but why the difference? Whether it declines or is 70 some percent, the conclusion of my argument is still valid. As I said, I will try to fine tune the chart when I get time, and will factor in all of your valid complaints.

Quote:
There is a major problem though. Spending went down not up when the Dept of Education was formed. Your conclusions are contrary to the facts. YOu can't claim the Dept caused higher spending when the opposite occurred. Your statement makes no sense in light of the actual facts. Which makes your original statement untrue. You refuse to admit that.

I admit you have grounds to argue your position, but my explanation looks a little deeper than a kneejerk evaluation. I've already admitted I did not realize spending was as high as it was before 79 and you never acknowledge that. You also never acknowledge the obvious observation that creating a cabinet level department in 79 has elevated the validity of much more federal spending on education. That has certainly happened, perhaps not as obvious when you look at it expressed in percentage, but certainly more obvious when you look at the dollars. And further, the increase may not express itself immediately, and I think the department required a time of organization and assimilation of the existing bureaucracy before more bureaucracy was advanced. The graph shows that, with more bureaucracy now advancing, both in percentage and dollars. I've explained that Reagan and Bush I's policies might have been a factor in a slowdown of spending in the 80's, one reason being Reagan was no fan of more federal spending on education. But now the trend is heading out of sight in terms of dollars and who knows what the percentage will end up.

Quote:
Which directly contradicts your claim that eliminating the Dept of Education would save lots of money. The Dept of Education has little to do with spending increases.

I think you are dead wrong about your claim that the department has little to do with spending increases. Where do you think the initiatives might sometimes originate as ideas, and what vehicle do you think the politicians imagine using when they dream up their new spending schemes? The department provides a very attractive vehicle for more spending by the politicians. Without it being in place, it would be slightly more difficult, or at least not so widely accepted as a valid recipient of more and more spending. And the bureaucrats that abound in the department will make their wants, needs, and desires, more compelling by their more visible and numerous requests. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as the old saying goes.

Quote:
Some of what you say is true. But it doesn't make your demagogy not be demagogy. Eliminating the Dept of Education won't save billions. The schools were not great before 1979 because they were almost completely funded by local districts. We haven't even established a base line for when you actually think schools were great. You won't give me dates. 1950- graduation rate was 59%.

I disagree. Eliminating the department would save billions in future spending because I have a hard time visualizing the elimination of the department without a downgrade in its function and importance. The two go together, which is part of my main argument all along. As I've said before, the schools were not perfect before 79, but I think they were better, more like back in the 50's would be one baseline if you want a date to attack now, there it is for you.

One thing perhaps we could agree on is the need for a better measure of schools would be something other than graduation rates? I used the figures because that is about all I've been able to find as a comparative measure, but I think there are many societal and technological considerations that affect that figure, beyond the quality of schools. Do you know of test figures or something else that are comparably derived for basic core knowledge and skills over a period of time that would provide a look at the quality of learning that a high school graduate has now vs 50 years ago? We've all watched McDonalds employees look bewildered if they had to figure change in their head, so I think some skills are worse now, but I have no hard data to prove it to you because you don't agree, and obviously at least some students learn about computers and other things now that were unknown 50 years ago. It is my opinion schools were better in the 50's for a number of reasons that cannot be drawn on a graph, which you probably are going to demand because you accept no opinion based on experience. At least that is my take on our past debates on other threads.

I just thought of a data set that we can use as a measure of the quality of education now vs 50 years ago. How about crime rates? I mentioned this once before. We hear all the time that education is the key to reducing crime. Are you a believer of that principle? If education is getting better because of federal standards and spending, help for the special education children and all of that, would it not follow that crime rates would come down? Makes sense to me of the theory holds water. We are spending alot of money based on the theory aren't we? I think I will consider adding the crime rate curve to my graph to see what it shows.

Whats this about the constant charge of demagogy? I don't think it fits here at all.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:27 am
Why let little things like facts get in the way of your argument?

DEMAGOGY. You ignore facts and argue that something must be just because you emotionally think it should be.

You argue the deptartment of education caused an increase in spending.
FACT - the creation of the dept resulted in a decrease. NO matter how many times you argue how it MIGHT or SHOULD, the facts don't change. The creation of the department of education did NOT cause an increase in spending. The FACTS show a decrease in spending immediately after its creation. You can't cause something that does NOT OCCUR. There is no cause and effect because the thing you claimed is the cause does not create the effect. Since it is obviously not the direct cause you can't eliminate the effect by eliminating the dept.

You don't look deeper. You IGNORE facts because they are inconvenient to your argument.

The schools were better in the 1950s? A 59% gadudation rate is BETTER? Wow. First you claim that a decrease in graduation shows schools are getting worse then you claim schools were better when graduation rates were LOWER than they are now. There is no logic to your argument okie. If you want to use graduation as the standard then is should be the standard. Not something to use when it helps your case and IGNORE it when it doesnt'.

Now lets just argue about what you THINK but can't present as facts or draw on the graph.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:59 am
Quote:
To be honest, the decline surprised me, but how do you account for the link I provided showing the 68% rate for 2001? I admit it is a different source, but why the difference? Whether it declines or is 70 some percent, the conclusion of my argument is still valid. As I said, I will try to fine tune the chart when I get time, and will factor in all of your valid complaints.

The reason for the change was the methodology changed. If I count the number of times a coin comes up heads and then count the number of times it comes up heads or tails my methodology changes. In one case I would get about 50% in the other case 100%. If you count the number of kids in 9th grade compared to the number that graduate vs the number that start 12th grade compared to the number that graduate you are using different methodology. In one case you miss all the kids that dropped out of school between 9th and 11th grade. To change from one methodology to the other will show a sudden change in numbers that doesn't reflect reality.

Quote:
I admit you have grounds to argue your position, but my explanation looks a little deeper than a kneejerk evaluation. I've already admitted I did not realize spending was as high as it was before 79 and you never acknowledge that. You also never acknowledge the obvious observation that creating a cabinet level department in 79 has elevated the validity of much more federal spending on education. That has certainly happened, perhaps not as obvious when you look at it expressed in percentage, but certainly more obvious when you look at the dollars. And further, the increase may not express itself immediately, and I think the department required a time of organization and assimilation of the existing bureaucracy before more bureaucracy was advanced. The graph shows that, with more bureaucracy now advancing, both in percentage and dollars. I've explained that Reagan and Bush I's policies might have been a factor in a slowdown of spending in the 80's, one reason being Reagan was no fan of more federal spending on education. But now the trend is heading out of sight in terms of dollars and who knows what the percentage will end up.
Your explanation doesn't look deeper. To look deeper would be to find more facts. Instead of finding more facts you rely more and more on your personal "experiences" and personal thoughts. Looking deeper would be to divorce yourself from your own opinions and do some research and make conclusions from that research. Because a department spends more money does not equate to more bureacracy. A department could spend more money because it is sending more money to locals.
Since Bush and Reagan caused a slow down then that would imply that spending isn't caused by the dept. Spending is caused by policies of those in charge. Now consider the fact that you are arguing schools have gotten worse since 1979 at the same time you are arguing that Bush and Reagan CUT SPENDING. Do you see the disconnect okie? You can't draw the conclusions you are drawing because the very facts you present as fact dispute your conclusions.

Quote:

I think you are dead wrong about your claim that the department has little to do with spending increases. Where do you think the initiatives might sometimes originate as ideas, and what vehicle do you think the politicians imagine using when they dream up their new spending schemes? The department provides a very attractive vehicle for more spending by the politicians. Without it being in place, it would be slightly more difficult, or at least not so widely accepted as a valid recipient of more and more spending. And the bureaucrats that abound in the department will make their wants, needs, and desires, more compelling by their more visible and numerous requests. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as the old saying goes.
More disconnect. If the dept is such an attractive vehicle then why did

1.) Spending increase so much without the department.

2.)Spending decrease under Reagan and Bush when that attractive vehicle was there the whole time.

It is obvious that the department was not necessary for federal school funding and the department does not create increased school funding on its own. It is a minor vehicle in the overall scheme. Schools are a concern with or without the Dept of Education. Bush didn't institute NCLB because the Dept of Education existed. It was because people felt schools were failing. The Dept of Education didn't cause it. It is just what administers it. Eliminating spending will eliminate the Dept of Education but eliminating the Dept of Education won't eliminate spending. Schools will always be an issue, money will always be spent. The Dept of education is NOT the cause.

The squeeky wheel is not the Department of education but the constituents that are demanding better schools because the ones we have at present are not as good as the ones in the 50s or 60s. Politicians listen to voters.

Quote:
I disagree. Eliminating the department would save billions in future spending because I have a hard time visualizing the elimination of the department without a downgrade in its function and importance.
Nothing happens or fails to happen because someone has a "hard time visualizing" it. Such an argument will lead to failure almost every time.
There won't be an insurgency in Iraq because I have a hard time visualizing why Iraqis won't be thrilled to be free.
The angles on a triangle can't add up to 180 degrees because I have a hard time visualizing it.
okie must be 12 years old because I have a hard time visualizing anyone over 12 not understanding cause/effect.
There won't be an increase in oil prices because I have a hard time visualizing...
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 09:12 am
parados wrote:
Why let little things like facts get in the way of your argument?

DEMAGOGY. You ignore facts and argue that something must be just because you emotionally think it should be.

You argue the deptartment of education caused an increase in spending.
FACT - the creation of the dept resulted in a decrease. NO matter how many times you argue how it MIGHT or SHOULD, the facts don't change. The creation of the department of education did NOT cause an increase in spending.

Wrong. As you say, look at the facts. There has been a drastic increase in spending as I've pointed out repeatedly. What is your explanation for the increase if it has nothing whatsoever at all to do with the creation of the Department of Education, that mystical bureaucracy that just happens to be the entity that spends all the money but has absolutely no influence over it. This is all I have time to answer right now, but this point is pretty much what everything revolves around in terms of our argument anyway.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 12:15 pm
Quote:
The squeeky wheel is not the Department of education but the constituents that are demanding better schools because the ones we have at present are not as good as the ones in the 50s or 60s. Politicians listen to voters.

Fed spending went up in the 60s because of politicians listening to voters - 3 items come to mind. Increase in science in schools because of Russian beating US into space, Civil rights caused school integration, war on poverty was a big part of the school legislation.

Fed spending didn't go up in the 80s because politicians held it in check because of voters

Fed spending is going up now because of politicians listening to voters. Bush was elected with NCLB already fleshed out. NCLB didn't come from Dept of Education, it came from politicians who were elected by the voters. The bureacracy didn't want it.

If the spending was a direct result of the Dept of Education then there would have been no period of time with reduced spending nor would there have been a period of spending before the Dept of Education. The simple fact that both of those things exist show the fault in the logic of claiming that the eliminating the Dept of Education will eliminate spending.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 01:01 pm
To sum it up, if I was running this zoo, and I eliminated the Department of Education which of course would include their thousands of employees and what they do, I think tons of money could be saved, not only on the federal level, but local districts could economize because of the elimination of mandates and tons of paperwork required by the feds.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 01:18 pm
To sum up your argument...

There should be no standards or testing for students. We should go back to when there was no such thing because schools are great when you don't know if they are good or not.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 01:30 pm
parados wrote:
To sum up your argument...

There should be no standards or testing for students. We should go back to when there was no such thing because schools are great when you don't know if they are good or not.

You forgot to insert the word "federal" into your statements, which makes your statement absurd. To assume the state and local governments would have no standards without your precious federal bureaucracy is typical of your thought process. Central planning, yes thats always the answer to any problem.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 05:28 pm
Which fails to address how schools were "great" when you can give no objective standard or test score to show they were great. We have to take your word for it in spite of all evidence to the contrary.
0 Replies