Dept of Education caused problems

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 10:49 am
He's a liberal when it comes to spending on everything. Did you forget about the Medicare bill?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 10:59 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
A gallon of Milk is $3.50 or so today. Guess we should blame that one on the USDA, eh?

Maybe the FDA

Cycloptichorn

By applying the value of a dollar in about 1950 at 12.8 cents, milk would have cost about 44 cents per gallon to be the same as $3.50 per gallon now. I think it was more than that in the stores back then because most farmers were selling it directly for about 50 cents per gallon at the farm. I think the cost of milk has very likely come down slightly or is roughly the same as in 1950 in constant dollars. If milk would have risen in the same manner as education, it would be way over $10 per gallon, maybe $20 per gallon by now.

http://mwhodges.home.att.net/inflation.htm
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 11:37 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
He's a liberal when it comes to spending on everything. Did you forget about the Medicare bill?

Cycloptichorn

You mean the prescription drug plan. Yes, that is going to break us all before its over, as everybody takes how many pills a day, and the drug companies have a gold mine here for sure. What a boondoggle! Another example of centralization gone awry with the federal government with their finger in something they have no business to be involved in, or at least cannot afford to pay for.

Knowing the nature of government and how things go, when they predicted the cost, I said sure, what a pipe dream, and sure enough how many times has the cost estimate been increased to how much now?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 11:39 am
At least three times.

Of course, the massive amount of lobbying done by the drug companies to push through the bill without giving the government the ability to negotiate prices may have had something to do with it. And you can lay the blame for that one square at the feet of your boys in congress.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 11:42 am
parados wrote:
Gee, we could teach every child in the US for $600 if we didn't have to pay for teachers, schools, transportation, lunch programs, janitorial services etc.

Home schooling can cost $600 because the teacher is FREE. The place the kids are taught is FREE. (at least not included in the cost of teaching) The transportation to outside programs is FREE. There is no cost associated to feed the kids or clean up after them associated with the schooling. I bet that $600 doesn't include the costs by the state to administer and test those kids.

Yet no one except you would imply that the same thing could be done in real schools. Are you volunteering to teach for FREE?

Just take a home schooling situtation with 3 kids, give the teacher the average salary of a local teacher. Lets say $36,000. (the average teacher salary in the 2003-04 school year was $46,597) Suddenly the cost of teaching those kids is $12,000 each without books or costs of the space. We haven't even begun to add in the cost of 10% of the home for a school space or food preperation costs during the day.

You are proving my argument beautifully. Something can usually be done better and more efficiently and cheaper if they can do it themselves. Yes, home schooling is at the absolute one end of the sliding scale spectrum, but federal involvement is at the other end, and in between, there is a sliding scale of increased efficiency as people themselves do something for themselves at the lowest governmental level.

Where in the world did we get this nanny state of helplessness mentality that is so prevalant anyway?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 04:35 pm
okie wrote:
As I said before, perhaps the formation of the Department of Education was as much an effect, or symptom of the problem, as it was a cause, but I think once the push of more involvement gained cabinet status, it does indeed institutionalize the license to grow and add more bureaucracy at the federal level. After all, its called justifying one's job. That is exactly what has happened. After all, who can be against education, and kissing babies?

So does that mean that this statement is demagoguery then?
Quote:
All of this points out one thing, the Federal Dept of Education was unnecessary. We could save billions and give the schools back to the people in their local communities to run, manage, and pay for. It worked great before.

First you argued that it worked well before. Then you argued that it didn't work well because Fed mandates in 1965. The statement can't be true if 1965 was problematic for schools because of the Federal government.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 04:41 pm
okie wrote:
parados wrote:
Gee, we could teach every child in the US for $600 if we didn't have to pay for teachers, schools, transportation, lunch programs, janitorial services etc.

Home schooling can cost $600 because the teacher is FREE. The place the kids are taught is FREE. (at least not included in the cost of teaching) The transportation to outside programs is FREE. There is no cost associated to feed the kids or clean up after them associated with the schooling. I bet that $600 doesn't include the costs by the state to administer and test those kids.

Yet no one except you would imply that the same thing could be done in real schools. Are you volunteering to teach for FREE?

Just take a home schooling situtation with 3 kids, give the teacher the average salary of a local teacher. Lets say $36,000. (the average teacher salary in the 2003-04 school year was $46,597) Suddenly the cost of teaching those kids is $12,000 each without books or costs of the space. We haven't even begun to add in the cost of 10% of the home for a school space or food preperation costs during the day.

You are proving my argument beautifully. Something can usually be done better and more efficiently and cheaper if they can do it themselves. Yes, home schooling is at the absolute one end of the sliding scale spectrum, but federal involvement is at the other end, and in between, there is a sliding scale of increased efficiency as people themselves do something for themselves at the lowest governmental level.

Where in the world did we get this nanny state of helplessness mentality that is so prevalent anyway?

Yep.. Home open heart surgery... It must work better than a hospital. Home road building. Home drivers license examinations. There is a scale of decreased efficiency as people do things for themselves too okie.

Home schooling doesn't work better for everyone. Home open heart surgery might also work fine for a few. But I wouldn't recommend it to the general public anymore than I would recommend that everyone home school their children.

Federal involvement is LESS in schools today than it was in 1965. Your argument is defeated by facts here okie. The facts you admit to but then demagogue the other side.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 05:07 pm
parados wrote:
Quote:
All of this points out one thing, the Federal Dept of Education was unnecessary. We could save billions and give the schools back to the people in their local communities to run, manage, and pay for. It worked great before.

First you argued that it worked well before. Then you argued that it didn't work well because Fed mandates in 1965. The statement can't be true if 1965 was problematic for schools because of the Federal government.

Please do not split hairs and take statements out of context. It worked well compared to the situation now, but the process has been incremental. The feds were involved before 1979. I never said they weren't. It was beginning to cause problems in the 60's, but the system was still far better and worked better than what we have now. A key event was in fact the elevation of the department to cabinet level status, which signaled the expectation of further authority and influence in the school systems by the federal government. What is so difficult to understand about this?

Quote:

Yep.. Home open heart surgery... It must work better than a hospital. Home road building. Home drivers license examinations. There is a scale of decreased efficiency as people do things for themselves too okie.

Home schooling doesn't work better for everyone. Home open heart surgery might also work fine for a few. But I wouldn't recommend it to the general public anymore than I would recommend that everyone home school their children.

Federal involvement is LESS in schools today than it was in 1965. Your argument is defeated by facts here okie. The facts you admit to but then demagogue the other side.

Learning is not open heart surgery, Parados. You keep mis-interpreting what I've said. I never claimed home schooling works for everybody. What I have said is that schooling is best done and managed by the people or government closest to the people and children. That is why we have local school boards, local schools, and local teachers and administrators. They are the ones doing the work. Why hire all of these people and then send gobs of money to Washington to send back a portion of it along with orders as to how we should run our own schools, our own teachers, and our own administrators. It is bureaucratic insanity.

Federal involvement is less than 1965? I doubt it very seriously. Provide your hard evidence again from 1965 and 2006.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 07:30 pm
okie wrote:
parados wrote:
Quote:

Please do not split hairs and take statements out of context.
Split hairs? Take statements out of context? Is that your defense? I am taking your statements out of context? I posted them in their entirety. You have done nothing but contradict them and refuse to say one or the other is true. Your statements were outlandish demagoguery. Your own facts show them to be.

Quote:
It worked well compared to the situation now, but the process has been incremental. The feds were involved before 1979. I never said they weren't.
Actually you came pretty dang close to saying it when you said...

Before 1979 "... virtually everything in regard to schools was run and funded by the local districts and the states"

I don't see much wiggle room there okie. It is YOUR statement. I have quoted it several times in complete context. You have failed to address what "virtually everything" means. The Feds provided 7.9% of school funding in 1965. They provided 8.4% in 1970. They provided 8.9% in 1975. They provided 9.2% of funding in 1980 (the last budget BEFORE the Dept of Education came into being.) They provided only 6.2% of schools funding in 1985 and 6.1% in 1989. The last year in table 21 http://www.ecs.org/html/offsite.asp?document=http%3A%2F%2Fnces%2Eed%2Egov%2Fpubs93%2F93442%2Epdf
So your claim of "virtually everything" would mean that 91% is virtually everything. The Feds provided LESS funding as % of the total after 1979.
http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d03/tables/dt156.asp
This table shows that in 2000, the Feds provided only 7.3% of the funds for local schools.
FACT - from 1965 to 1980 the Federal govt provided a larger percentage of school budgets than they did from 1981 to 2000. The smallest amount of Federal funding from 1965-1980 was 7.9%. All years but 2 were over 8.5% From 1981-2001 the highest amount of Federal funding was 7.4%. Most were under 7%.

Since the Feds provided LESS of the budget for schools from 1981-2000 that means that the local schools controlled virtually all of their funding from 1981-2000. Since they controlled virtually all their funding that would make much of your funding argument moot about sending money to the Feds to have it sent back.
Quote:

Quote:
It was beginning to cause problems in the 60's, but the system was still far better and worked better than what we have now.
So the system was working better when the Federal government provided MORE of the funding. That fact certainly seems to make your claim false.
Quote:
A key event was in fact the elevation of the department to cabinet level status, which signaled the expectation of further authority and influence in the school systems by the federal government. What is so difficult to understand about this?
And your evidence to support this opinion can be found where?

Quote:

Learning is not open heart surgery, Parados. You keep mis-interpreting what I've said. I never claimed home schooling works for everybody. What I have said is that schooling is best done and managed by the people or government closest to the people and children. That is why we have local school boards, local schools, and local teachers and administrators. They are the ones doing the work. Why hire all of these people and then send gobs of money to Washington to send back a portion of it along with orders as to how we should run our own schools, our own teachers, and our own administrators. It is bureaucratic insanity.
Yes, we do have local schools and local administrators. The local government runs our schools. You however said this...
Quote:

Where in the world did we get this nanny state of helplessness mentality that is so prevalent anyway?
The government runs schools. The government is a nanny state because it does so in your opinion. Government is government whether it is local or Federal. Since you just railed against the "nanny state" I came to the obvious conclusion you think government shouldn't run schools at all. You have just said that home schooling proves that " Something can usually be done better and more efficiently and cheaper if they can do it themselves. " Those 2 statements lead me to an obvious conclusion of where your position is. Or were you just demagoging again?

Quote:
Federal involvement is less than 1965? I doubt it very seriously. Provide your hard evidence again from 1965 and 2006.

I did above. I can find no numbers for 2006. Do you have numbers of the percentage of federal funding is going to K-12 schools in 2006? (The budget numbers for 2006 are for total education spending and are not just K-12 and are abnormally high compared to 2007-2011. )
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 07:40 pm
Lets go back and look at your first post on this topic okie..

Quote:
All of this points out one thing, the Federal Dept of Education was unnecessary. We could save billions and give the schools back to the people in their local communities to run, manage, and pay for. It worked great before. We had the most educated and technologically advanced country in the world before the Federal Department of Education was formed, and I don't think its been beneficial, but has simply given us a bottomless pit in which to throw more money away.

In fact you are now arguing that we threw lots of money at it BEFORE the Dept of education was formed. In direct contradiction to the statement above. The facts show the the Feds threw a LARGER percentage of the local budgets before the dept of education, a time when you claim the school system was better. This directly contradicts your argument. Schools were better when the Feds provided MORE of the budget.

1. Schools were better before 1979. (That is your opinion.)
2. The Federal government provided a larger % of school budgets from 1965-1980 than the did from 1981-2001. (See previous post for table 156)

That can only lead to one logical conclusion

Schools were better when the Federal government provided a larger percentage of the funding.

There is no other conclusion to reach unless the fact or your opinion is wrong okie.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 10:01 am
Okay, do you think the federal government is more involved now or less involved in education than they were before 1979, yes or no? Do you think the Department of Education is a key mechanism for the federal government to be more involved in policy or less involved in policy now than they would have been otherwise if the function was kept buried in another agency? Yes or no?

Do you think more federal mandates and policy vs. local is better or worse, yes or no?

Do you think unfunded federal mandates exist in the educational system, yes or no?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 09:30 am
Do you think you could just admit you're wrong? Yes or no?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 12:29 pm
okie wrote:
Okay, do you think the federal government is more involved now or less involved in education than they were before 1979, yes or no?
Do you have evidence one way or the other? I haven't seen any.

Quote:
Do you think the Department of Education is a key mechanism for the federal government to be more involved in policy or less involved in policy now than they would have been otherwise if the function was kept buried in another agency? Yes or no?
What do you think the Dept of Health, Education and Welfare did? They certainly dealt with Education.

Quote:
Do you think more federal mandates and policy vs. local is better or worse, yes or no?
It can depend on a lot of things. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Do you think local communities should be allowed to teach without any standards? I don't. You left out a large part of the equation, STATES.

Quote:
Do you think unfunded federal mandates exist in the educational system, yes or no?
It doesn't change your demagoging on the issue if there are or aren't. You have argued they existed before and after 1979.

Deal with your statement. Was Federal funding MORE of the funding for schools prior to 1979 than after? The facts show it was. Prior to Federal funding schools were horrible unless you think the 75% attendance rate and 15% graduation rate in 1920 are an example of great schooling.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 04:16 pm
parados wrote:
okie wrote:
Okay, do you think the federal government is more involved now or less involved in education than they were before 1979, yes or no?
Do you have evidence one way or the other? I haven't seen any.

I can't seem to find percentages and expenditures for 1979, but the following site shows expenditures as a percentage of federal contribution per child cost growing from 5.7% to 8.3% from about 1990 to 2005, almost a 50% increase. The same site points out that "The primary source of federal K-12 support began in 1965 with the enactment of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA)." Obviously, the establishment of the current federal Department of Education was an outgrowth of this increased involvement.
http://www.ed.gov/about/overview/fed/10facts/index.html

Quote:
Quote:
Do you think the Department of Education is a key mechanism for the federal government to be more involved in policy or less involved in policy now than they would have been otherwise if the function was kept buried in another agency? Yes or no?
What do you think the Dept of Health, Education and Welfare did? They certainly dealt with Education.

It should be obvious that the elevation to cabinet level for the Department of Education is both a reflection of, and a stimulant of, greater federal involvement. If Ford Motor Company took the Safety Department under the Production Division and elevated it to the Safety Division, would you conclude a greater emphasis and expenditures on safety? Maybe you wouldn't, but I would. Use your head Parados.

Quote:
Quote:
It can depend on a lot of things. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Do you think local communities should be allowed to teach without any standards? I don't. You left out a large part of the equation, STATES.

When you ask if local communities should be allowed to teach without federal standards, you are assuming the federal government is smarter and more efficient and have better standards than local communities and states. I make no such assumption. Perhaps you need to provide evidence, Parados, to support your assumption. Was the Kremlin more efficient in managing and producing wheat in the Soviet Union than individual farmers in the United States?

Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't change your demagoging on the issue if there are or aren't. You have argued they existed before and after 1979.

Deal with your statement. Was Federal funding MORE of the funding for schools prior to 1979 than after? The facts show it was. Prior to Federal funding schools were horrible unless you think the 75% attendance rate and 15% graduation rate in 1920 are an example of great schooling.

To properly apply your argument, Parados, compare federal involvement prior to 1965 with now. My argument is that the Department of Education not only causes more involvement, but was an outgrowth of increased involvement in the 10 or 15 years leading up to 1979. Further, my argument is that the increased federal involvement that stimulated the elevation of the department was detrimental, and the increased involvement because of department formation and increased emphasis is also detrimental. I predict more involvement and increased meddling unless more conservative leaders are successful in wresting the full control of education back to local and state management.

Furthermore, you assume federal mandates are not costing state and local governments in running their schools. We've already plowed this ground, and you can pick and choose your source to support your argument pro and con, but Parados, why are states and districts suing over this very thing if the problem did not exist?
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/education/july-dec05/nclb2_8-24.html

Also, don't compare apples and oranges. The technical advancements of society and the requirements for education were far different in 1920. I would take 1950 as a better measure, but regardless of whether you take 1920 or 1950, or 1960, our educational system had built the most technically advanced, industrialized society in the world at those times, virtually without any federal meddling in education. I would also point out that some 1920 grade school graduates could read and write better than many of today's high school graduates. My own mother is an example of that, very proficient in writing, math, reading, and very educated in other things as well, all without a high school education.

Parados, what you liberals always do is assume people are basicly stupid without the government telling them what to do. People are much like children. If you over-manage what they do, they will never become responsible and gain the ability to succeed. I believe that is what the federal government is doing now, over-managing, and sticking their nose in matters never meant for their involvement. Should the government tell everybody on your block to paint their house the same color, build the same floorplans, and drive the same cars? I don't think you would agree with that, so why do you apply the same philosophy toward education everywhere in the country?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 05:17 pm
The only thing that is obvious okie is you like to use the word "obvious" when you can't provide any facts from a source that backs up your claims. Simply claiming something is "obvious" doesn't make it so.

I can't find any facts but it is obvious. Laughing

I already gave you the FACTS that dispute your "obvious" claim. your "obvious" fact is not a fact at all. It is obviously something you just made up.
parados wrote:
The Feds provided 7.9% of school funding in 1965. They provided 8.4% in 1970. They provided 8.9% in 1975. They provided 9.2% of funding in 1980 (the last budget BEFORE the Dept of Education came into being.) They provided only 6.2% of schools funding in 1985 and 6.1% in 1989. The last year in table 21 http://www.ecs.org/html/offsite.asp?document=http%3A%2F%2Fnces%2Eed%2Egov%2Fpubs93%2F93442%2Epdf
So your claim of "virtually everything" would mean that 91% is virtually everything. The Feds provided LESS funding as % of the total after 1979.
http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d03/tables/dt156.asp
This table shows that in 2000, the Feds provided only 7.3% of the funds for local schools.
FACT - from 1965 to 1980 the Federal govt provided a larger percentage of school budgets than they did from 1981 to 2000. The smallest amount of Federal funding from 1965-1980 was 7.9%. All years but 2 were over 8.5% From 1981-2001 the highest amount of Federal funding was 7.4%. Most were under 7%.

The Dept of education resulted in LESS involvement. Backed up by statistics from a credible site.

Quote:
To properly apply your argument, Parados, compare federal involvement prior to 1965 with now. My argument is that the Department of Education not only causes more involvement, but was an outgrowth of increased involvement in the 10 or 15 years leading up to 1979
OK.. From 1953-1965 the Federal govt contributed on average about 4.5% of school budgets. From 1965-1980 it contributed about 9%. From 1980- 1990 it contributed about 6.5% "Obvious" just doesn't cut it when compared to the facts.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:46 pm
okie wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

When you ask if local communities should be allowed to teach without federal standards, you are assuming the federal government is smarter and more efficient and have better standards than local communities and states. I make no such assumption. Perhaps you need to provide evidence, Parados, to support your assumption. Was the Kremlin more efficient in managing and producing wheat in the Soviet Union than individual farmers in the United States?
You might want to read what I said before you make statements. I assumed you would know that states set the standards for schools not local communities. Did you not know that?

Quote:
Quote:

Still unanswered... Just more demogoging
Quote:

To properly apply your argument, Parados, compare federal involvement prior to 1965 with now.
Of course. Your failure to make the comparison at all is a properly applied argument in your world. Lets ignore any facts and just pretend it is OBVIOUS

Quote:
My argument is that the Department of Education not only causes more involvement, but was an outgrowth of increased involvement in the 10 or 15 years leading up to 1979. Further, my argument is that the increased federal involvement that stimulated the elevation of the department was detrimental, and the increased involvement because of department formation and increased emphasis is also detrimental. I predict more involvement and increased meddling unless more conservative leaders are successful in wresting the full control of education back to local and state management.

Furthermore, you assume federal mandates are not costing state and local governments in running their schools. We've already plowed this ground, and you can pick and choose your source to support your argument pro and con, but Parados, why are states and districts suing over this very thing if the problem did not exist?
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/education/july-dec05/nclb2_8-24.html
A lovely argument okie. Too bad you have not provided any evidence to support it other than claiming your opinion is "obvious."

Quote:
Also, don't compare apples and oranges. The technical advancements of society and the requirements for education were far different in 1920. I would take 1950 as a better measure,
Yeah. 1950 is better because there have been no technical developments from 1950 to today. But just to appease your "obvious" question lets compare.

1950 - % of children 5-17 attending schools 83% 1990 -90%
1950 % of children transported to school 31% 1990- 60%
1950 % of children with learning disabilities of some kind being taught in schools 1.5%
1990- 11.4% (You do know what happened to all those children before 1965, don't you?)
1950 attendance rate 88% - 1980 90%
1950 graduation rate - about 82% 1990 graduation rate about 90%

Quote:
but regardless of whether you take 1920 or 1950, or 1960, our educational system had built the most technically advanced, industrialized society in the world at those times, virtually without any federal meddling in education.
That must be why we launched the first satellite into space in 1959 and never had to introduce a Federal program to support science in US schools to help us win the race to the moon.
Quote:
I would also point out that some 1920 grade school graduates could read and write better than many of today's high school graduates. My own mother is an example of that, very proficient in writing, math, reading, and very educated in other things as well, all without a high school education.
And your evidence is what other than your own mother? I have just the opposite evidence. Recent graduates I know can read and write better than my grandparents and parents could. Recent graduates are much better at science than my parents were.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:50 pm
Quote:
My argument is that the Department of Education not only causes more involvement, but was an outgrowth of increased involvement in the 10 or 15 years leading up to 1979. Further, my argument is that the increased federal involvement that stimulated the elevation of the department was detrimental, and the increased involvement because of department formation and increased emphasis is also detrimental.

So if that is your argument okie.. please explain this statement by you keeping in mind that the Department of Education didn't come into being until 1979

Quote:

Were schools great from 1965-1979 or not? You can't have it both ways.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 01:33 pm
Quote:
OK.. From 1953-1965 the Federal govt contributed on average about 4.5% of school budgets. From 1965-1980 it contributed about 9%. From 1980- 1990 it contributed about 6.5% "Obvious" just doesn't cut it when compared to the facts.

So what was the federal contribution in 1950? Or 1953 if you wish to use that as a baseline? Both in percentage of the total cost of education per student and in actual dollars per student?

P.S. 1965 to 79 was a transitional period of more federal involvement leading up to the creation of the Department of Education. This should be "obvious."
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 02:31 pm
okie wrote:
Quote:

So what was the federal contribution in 1950? Or 1953 if you wish to use that as a baseline? Both in percentage of the total cost of education per student and in actual dollars per student?

P.S. 1965 to 79 was a transitional period of more federal involvement leading up to the creation of the Department of Education. This should be "obvious."

Which means WHAT about this statement?
Quote:

The ONLY possible explanation I can see is you were demagoging. You keep denying you were, but it is completely contradictory to what you are now saying.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 07:13 pm
I don't know what you are talking about in terms of demagoging. My position and philosophy on the proper and most efficient management is simple. I do not believe K-12 education should be a federal function, and I do not believe the Department of Education was necessary or helpful. It was a step in the wrong direction, which is an elevation of importance of federal involvement in education. Nothing complicated about my arguments here. I am on the side of Ronald Reagan and other true conservatives on this issue.
0 Replies