Are Conservative Values Inconsistent With Being a Christian?

maxsdadeo

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 03:45 pm
An interesting opinion regarding Bill Bennett,
http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg.asp

From the above link:
Quote:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:12 pm
maxsdadeo wrote:
They explain it would be immoral for me to spend more of my own money on my own children when that money could be spent by government on other peoples' children. In short, they think moralizing is fine. They just want to have a monopoly on the franchise.

I realize this is a quote from someone else, Max, but if I had the opportunity to talk to that person -- and assuming that person had posted that comment here in this particular thread which discusses whether or not conservative values are inconsistent with being a Christian...

...I would say:

If you are spending money on your own children and they already have plenty -- and the "other people's children" don't have enough -- you are espousing a conservative principle at the expense of doing what Jesus would have you do.

Right?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:25 pm
I can understand the selfish callous disregard of conservatives, it's their pride in it that passes me by.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:05 pm
Come on! It's not like conservatives have a monopoly on either pride or selfishness.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:08 pm
true, but i am biased
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 06:57 pm
Gambling is OK now. Add it to the list of former "vices" that are now virtues. The list includes everything any prominent Republican has ever been caught doing. After all, we saw every one of convicted criminal George W. Bush's vices become virtues during the 2000 campaign.

For example, fathers coming home drunk every night at age 40 and passing out while little Jenna and Barbara crawl over Daddy's body (if you do that, ten years later the media whores will use it as proof you're a "man of deep faith!"), being arrested for DUI, going AWOL from the National Guard, snorting coke (if you're white and wealthy)...it's all good.

Thanks to Dan Burton and Christopher Buckley, producing children with mistresses and rejecting your offspring because your career might be undermined is now fashionable, too. (And if you find you really need to distance yourself, refer to these little nuisances in public with terms of endearment such as "That Boy.")

Now, thanks to Bill Bennett, we can remove gambling from the list of bad, family-threatening activities indicating deeply corrupt character and worth spending $70 million taxpayer dollars to investigate.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 08:10 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Come on! It's not like conservatives have a monopoly on either pride or selfishness.

And I am not saying that to be the case.

But look at the thread title. I am trying to stay focused.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 08:25 pm
Frank, Hi. Had a long, tiring day, but wanted you to know I see your question a few posts back (May 5- 12:58 pm) and intend to respond tomorrow. It deserves more mental ability than I'm capable of at present. :wink:

To dys-- You win, bro, on CP. I think people calling themselves Christian have not applied their Christianity to the issue of CP.

Conversely, I feel fighting abortion is Christian behavior--but to me, impractical in this world. So, I guess I'm not on the Christian side of this issue--though I am working to limit abortion.

Back to social issues tomorrow.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 10:25 pm
It's very Christian to fight abortion and homosexuality. Both positions are well supported by the scriptures.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 11:15 pm
Quote:
It's not like conservatives have a monopoly on either pride or selfishness.

Thank You Smile
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:15 pm
Actually, Craven, I think the Bad Conservatives must've gotten their mitts on you. While the Bible does flambeau Homosexuals, it does not ask or suggest that Christians treat them badly or 'fight' against them.

It just sorta says alot of really negative things about them.

If you want to be a good Conservative, I must ask that you re-read your Bible, and resist your urge to fight against the homosexuals.

M'kay?
0 Replies