HARD TO BELIEVE: Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 04:33 pm
Ah, I see. Yes, long in the tooth I am, and it's a real bummer too, because the opportunity to be a pig still presents itself Shocked fairly often. Sad
Laughing
0 Replies

galton

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 06:25 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Ah yes, how the swinging of the pendulum irks some.

Important to remember is that the other end of the pendulum was hundreds of years of slavery, not a contest.

Yes, the pendulum needs to slow and stop in the middle but it's nowhere near the extreme that the pendulum reached on the other side.

So you're saying that the current double standard is justified because at least it's not as bad as slavery? We'll get closer to that middle you're looking for more quickly if we get irked at the double standard, yourself included.
0 Replies

galton

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 05:51 pm
au1929 wrote:
galton

I have never heard of a white Miss America contest but I have a black Miss America one. Just imagine the uproar if there was one.

Great example of the double standard--really, the examples are endless.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 06:01 pm
galton wrote:

So you're saying that the current double standard is justified because at least it's not as bad as slavery?

Nope, that's something you assumed.

Quote:
We'll get closer to that middle you're looking for more quickly if we get irked at the double standard, yourself included.

Feel the irk. It's positively exuding from my every pore.

I've done my part now.
0 Replies

galton

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 10:38 pm
Craven de Kere: Whew, good. I thought you sounded aloof, as if criticizing the double standard showed a lack of perspective.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 10:42 pm
Sometimes it does, not arguing against the double standard per se but in doing so people frequently do illustrate their lacking perspective.
0 Replies

Miriam May

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:42 pm
Re: HARD TO BELIEVE: Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party
By ELLIOTT MINOR, Associated Press Writer - 5/2/03

Until then, parents and students organized separate proms for whites and blacks after school officials stopped sponsoring dances, in part because they wanted to avoid problems arising from interracial dating.

After school integration, separate proms were common in the rural South. Taylor County was among the last to cling to the practice.

IMHO - this is the lifestile in the States. There can be official rules of equal rights and fare housing, but in fact birds of feather flock together, yes, they do.
I've been in the bars where there you can't find a single black person - and been in a clubs where I've been the only white one. I did't know such separation still exists in the USA.
0 Replies

strider

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:22 pm
Race Relations
I was fortunate to have parents who took me to the International Student events at the local College where we lived. Imagine the impact it had on me as a boy to mingle with College students from all over the world, and to enjoy their unique foods, music, talents, and the true spirit of brotherhood ans sisterhood that was present at each of those events.
Am I color blind as a result of these unique cultural experiences? Heavens no! Because I enjoy "all the colors of the rainbow." I have learned that our goal as a human race is not to meet at the middle between two extremes, but instead, to get to the point where we truly cherish the uniqueness of our cultures, races, etc.
The terms "tolerance", "integration", and so forth treat cultural differences as though those differences are inherently troublesome. As humans, we owe each other more than mere "tolerance" and "integration." We should become true brothers and sisters, as trivial as that sounds. Jesus didn't merely say, "tolerate thy neighbor, as thyself." He had more faith in humanity than that.

-Peace
0 Replies

always dreaming

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 03:03 pm
wow thats messed up...

i dont think race or religon should have any bearing at all with anything. people are people no matter what color or religon there still the same. ive had interracial relationships and if i couldnt bring my gf to a prom id be pretty damn pissed.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 02:23 am
Did they HAVE this mutha-fu<king party or what??
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 06:11 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Did they HAVE this mutha-fu<king party or what??

Oh yes, and in a gesture of good faith, they served chitlins and collard greens.
0 Replies