HARD TO BELIEVE: Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 03:18 pm
Well I'll be damned. Shocked In 1985 it never occurred to me that there might somewhere still be segregated proms... let alone today. Rolling Eyes But then; if we did have a segregated prom, it probably wouldn't have been much fun for the Black kids (either one of them). :wink:
0 Replies

bocdaver

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 09:14 pm
But, Au1929, I read many articles in the past thirty years which bemoaned the fact that the races were not mixing--that the understanding, the rapport, that was needed was not growing because people were re-segregating themselves.

I am sure that you are aware that many campuses have an UJAMMA House or some similar organization which ends up encouraging self-segregation.

If you really want to get a look at reality, watch Spike Lee's "School Daze" which depicts the fissures and gaps that abound within black society.

Lee shows us the Blacks on one side and the Wannabees on the other.

This, however, is not excoriated as racist behavior since all the participants are African-American.

We must decide. Are we going to go back to self-segregation, not de-jure of course, but defacto or are we going to come to our senses.

Segregated Proms must go.

Ujamma Houses must go.

Otherwise we go back to the Forties mentally.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 07:37 am
bocdaver
We can legislate and make illegal overt acts of racism and segregation. However, if one does not want to socialize with his next door neighbor they are well within their rights. People are free to associate and not to associate with whomever they choose.
0 Replies

galton

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 09:23 pm
People in this thread are missing the issue. If I read the article correctly, whites AND blacks plan separate proms, so why does the article's title only focus on the planning by the whites? White-only proms are a rare exception, but black students all around the country plan black-only proms, and everyone reacts with silence or approval. With hundreds of black-only proms being held every year, it is a double standard to condemn only the white students. Either they are both wrong or are both right.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 10:14 pm
Throw the Hispanics in for their spanking.

I found out last night. The local high school has no dealings with the proms anymore. They are put together by the parents. This year--there are separate white---black---and Hispanic proms.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 07:08 am
In the present environment segregation initiated by minorities is acceptable. But only integration is acceptable for white people.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 07:21 am
If a school provides segregated proms, that is an abomination. If individuals plan proms based on personal preferences of affiliation, I believe that it is their perfect right.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:09 am
Maybe at some point we should understand that in the work force, or in a broader sense on the "opportunity for a good life" playing field, things must be level and integrated and that is the right thing, but culturally and socially perhaps people are more comfortable with their own ethnic group, and whites are an ethnic group ya know.

Most of my black friends would as soon shoot themselves as come to one of my heavy metal shows. Are they racists? Well hell no. Am I offended? Also, hell no. That's not their thing that's all. So what?

Time to use some common sense here folks.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:53 am
Sofia wrote:
Throw the Hispanics in for their spanking.

I found out last night. The local high school has no dealings with the proms anymore. They are put together by the parents. This year--there are separate white---black---and Hispanic proms.

how is this done? are the invitations gilded with gold lettering saying "whites only" "blacks only" "latinos only" ?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:56 am
onyxelle
These affairs are by invitation. People are selectively invited.
0 Replies

galton

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:53 am
au1929 wrote:
In the present environment segregation initiated by minorities is acceptable. But only integration is acceptable for white people.

This statement is just per assertion. You're gonna have to back up supporting a double standard with evidence.
0 Replies

galton

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 11:07 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Maybe at some point we should understand that in the work force, or in a broader sense on the "opportunity for a good life" playing field, things must be level and integrated and that is the right thing, but culturally and socially perhaps people are more comfortable with their own ethnic group, and whites are an ethnic group ya know.

Most of my black friends would as soon shoot themselves as come to one of my heavy metal shows. Are they racists? Well hell no. Am I offended? Also, hell no. That's not their thing that's all. So what?

Time to use some common sense here folks.

Interesting post. Of course, most people don't have a problem with minority groups preferring their own acitivities, but few people condone whites wanting to hang out with whites, at least in any deliberate way.

And arguments are often made that group identity is essential to the self-esteem of blacks. If this is true, then isn't it the case that whites need to identify with other whites and to be a part of white groups in order to have healthy self-esteem?

This double standard cannot last forever. Long-term, either we are moving toward an integrated society or a group-based one, where people of different races may work with each other, but identify and live among there own race. To a large extent we already do this, but what is lacking is whites identifying with each other the way blacks do--as part of a group which has tremendous importance in your life.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 01:34 pm
onyxelle--
Au was correct. The invitations are word of mouth, and considered private parties not affiliated with the school.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 02:10 pm
galton

I have never heard of a white Miss America contest but I have a black Miss America one. Just imagine the uproar if there was one.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 02:17 pm
Ah yes, how the swinging of the pendulum irks some.

Important to remember is that the other end of the pendulum was hundreds of years of slavery, not a contest.

Yes, the pendulum needs to slow and stop in the middle but it's nowhere near the extreme that the pendulum reached on the other side.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 02:25 pm
http://www.missteenamerica.com/links.html#INTERNATIONAL

Hey- A beauty pageant is, bottom line, a moneymaker. If you check my link, you will see that there is a Mr. & Miss African American, Miss Asian American, Miss Cuban American, Miss Latina Teen, etc, etc, etc.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 02:27 pm
Ms. Latina Teen? I am so there!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 02:35 pm
Bill- Aren't you a bit long in the tooth to be hanging around nubile young damsels? :wink:
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 03:25 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Bill- Aren't you a bit long in the tooth to be hanging around nubile young damsels? :wink:
Question I don't know that expression, but I don't really seek the company of teens.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 04:05 pm
Quote:
long in the tooth

Getting on in years, old, as in Aunt Aggie's a little long in the tooth to be helping us move. This expression alludes to a horse's gums receding with age and making the teeth appear.

Bill- I just couldn't resist! Laughing
0 Replies