Petty annoyance but it's making me insane.

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 08:41 pm
A frozen water balloon makes the perfect weapon.

It melts in under an hour and can not keep a single finger print.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 10:22 pm
Why don't they have the temp do all the work, hire her fulltime for that,
and give Miss Clueless a "promotion" where she has a little office for
herself with a desk and nothing to do. There she can sit all day long and
count the ceiling tiles.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 10:40 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Why don't they have the temp do all the work, hire her fulltime for that,
and give Miss Clueless a "promotion" where she has a little office for
herself with a desk and nothing to do. There she can sit all day long and
count the ceiling tiles.

Already there. And she can't even do that right.

The temp is fixing all of her messes, but K will not help her. She's f'd up the filing system so badly that it has to be gone over piece by piece and redone. If she doesn't know where to file something, she just makes a new file. In one case, we found four separate files for the same facility.

So now I'm going through the files with the temp trying to determine what is real and what is not. I don't have time for this. I have a job. The boss just nods his head when I go in and bitch at him. We'll only have the temp until April, if she doesn't quit before that. She's fed up too.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 10:51 pm
Swimpy my wife is going through similar at her work.

Its gonna cost her firm good personell if they cant shift the problem. Three people are activly looking for other employment.

Ok I have just reread this whole thread.

Shocked

swimpy is definitly my wife in diguise.

Showed it to mumpad; even she thinks you are her (or she is you).

There are so many similarities its seriously uncanny
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 11:02 pm
Swimpy, the superior who is protecting her while creating havoc in
your office, does he have someone above him? If so, perhaps it is time
to have a meeting with the head of the department and convey
the problems to him. It can't be that an entire office has to suffer
because one of the supervisors doesn't have his marbles together.

You, your immediate superior, and any other employees who
can testify that she's not qualified to handle the position, should
collectively speak out.

Can she be transferred to another department?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 11:05 pm
Back in my day, so called, we could just fire people for incompetence. Though as someone who had to do that, it was icky to act out.
I'll also grant that useful levels of protection were probably not in place then, though at least some were.

Swimpy's problem seems more the boss than the Ill Woman employee...

but...

I'm well aware that chemo has many levels and some are not as horrible as some others, and some are sheer hell. This woman seems to suffer only when work is required.. but I've friends who have suffered terribly - drugs and dosages vary greatly.

Then again, there is a real phenomenon, called chemo brain.

It seems this woman is a user of her physical plight, but that may be a psychological pulling away from one more thing of having to deal, from her point of view, a kind of full body flight.

Anybody gotten her some counselling? (sorry if I missed mention of that any time earlier).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 20 Jan, 2007 11:11 pm
Swimpy wrote:
I am GOIN' to hell. Yep, hell, I tell ya. How can you hate a woman who has cancer? People who are goin' to hell can.

This is the funniest thing I've seen all week!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 08:14 am
dadpad wrote:
swimpy is definitly my wife in diguise.

Shocked trust me, mumpad does not want to be me. She has my unwavering sympathy if she is.

CalamityJane wrote:
Swimpy, the superior who is protecting her while creating havoc in
your office, does he have someone above him? If so, perhaps it is time
to have a meeting with the head of the department and convey
the problems to him. It can't be that an entire office has to suffer
because one of the supervisors doesn't have his marbles together.

You, your immediate superior, and any other employees who
can testify that she's not qualified to handle the position, should
collectively speak out.

Can she be transferred to another department?

Well, Jane...it's interesting that you bring that up. My boss, J, is a wimp to be sure, but his boss, B, is a beeotch The reason we have K in the first place is that B wanted to get rid of the previous secretary. Some people in the office had complained about her. She was rough around the edges and wouldn't give them the deference they though was due them. She was a little course, but she did a great job. She was a temp, however, and easily dismissed. K came on board because she was on a recall list, having been "laid off" from her typist job of 25 years. (She told us that she didn't understand why she got laid off when people with less seniority didn't. Hmmm, I can't imagine why.)

I've talked to B. She doesn't want to hear anything negative about K. At any rate, the cancer thing is her trump card right now. Nobody is going to discipline her until she is through chemo and has fully recovered her strength. I have to just vent my steam here. Thanks for listening, everyone.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 01:56 pm
Swimpy--

How long will she be having chemo? Three months? Six months? A year?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 02:12 pm
I think she's got six more treatments, each three weeks apart. She's finished with radiation, which appeared to affect her more than the chemo did. After that, no mercy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 02:19 pm
So sometime in May....June....?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 02:30 pm
That sounds about right. The temp will be gone by April at the latest because she's been offered a full time job when she gets out of Jr. college.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 02:57 pm
Swimpy--

Do you have a Day Old Bake Shop with discounted breadcrumbs? You might buy a bag--two bags, one for J and one for B--and label them with good wishes for navigating the filing system.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 21 Jan, 2007 05:07 pm
Laughing That's a good one, Noddy.! Laughing
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:05 pm
GRRRRR! <grumble> Sorry, I had to vent.

It's been , what, four months since I last posted here. I thought I was learning to live with her, but she just has a way of getting under my skin. I just was reading back through this thread and read where I told Noddy that K said she had six more treatments left. Well somehow now she's going to get treatments for another year. Oh and about a month ago she "broke" her ankle,,,never had a cast, never needed crutches...just limped whenever anyone was watching.

Back in January when I was at my wit's end, I told my boss, J, and my lead worker, M, that I was no longer going to do this one job because it was K's job and it was time she started doing it instead of me. They both agreed. And M spend many hours with her trying to teach her how to do this job. Well, today, twice he said to me, "She's really making a mess of this job." I said, "I don't want to hear it." I know she's making a mess of it, but it's not my job. I will stand my ground on this one.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 05:08 pm
Swimpy--

Stand your ground and hand Ms. Inept & Invalid over to your supervisor to deal with. He gets paid to have problems like that.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 05:27 pm
Thanks, Noddy. I rocked the boat and got the attention of the right person. We'll see if he follows through. I believe he was trying to get me to take the job back, but I won't. I refuse to make this my problem anymore.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 05:41 pm
Not that the situations are comparable. but I understand the frustration.

Back in yesteryear, on my first job, which was taking minifilm xrays, and, if there when the radiologist came by to read, taking the dictation, and then typing and filing, I shared the job with another student worker, evenings and weekends, and a full time person took weekdays.
Anyway, this very nice student worker had scant command of the alphabet. I refiled her stuff whenever I ran across a goof, which was often. The higher ups were aware of it on their own; not my job to fire her. I remember my main feeling was 'how can she not get the alphabet?' Well, now I know about dylexia and other matters, but I was genuinely amazed at the time.

Decades later when I was in landarch practice as a consultant to a firm I'd been a project manager for, and we shared a big office space, the receptionist/typist/filer there knew the alphabet but had no sense of subject matter, and all our reference bulletins for products that affect landscape design (great masses of stuff) were filed by subject, subjects then in alphabetical order. She never cottoned on... I understand the difficulty, I didn't get all the subjects either when I first started interning years before... BUT, she loved to guess and not ask. Again, totally messed up files. She outlasted me, as the head of the office was and is Mister Nice. I got my own space, my own files, and would only visit the group to chat.

I did have to let some people go, as they say, in my lab days. Never easy, but also not thaaaaat hard, since I had the authority and the research or clinical work needed to go on competently. I suppose it's harder now, re various rules.

If this is going to go on forever, maybe boss needs to hire a second person in her job description.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 06:40 pm
<sigh> It's not quite that easy. Remember I work for the government and we are all unionized. You can fire people, but you have to go about it right. Most supervisers don't have the kahones.

I have relieved some of my own stress, not solved the problem. Although, I have placed the stress on someone with the power to affect change. It's not my place to "get this woman fired."
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 11:49 am
Swimpy--

Not your place to do her work.

Not your place to get her fired.

Guilt isn't in your job description, either.
0 Replies