50,000 Errors in the Bible...Is Bible God's Word??

InfraBlue

Fri 31 Jul, 2015 11:53 pm
@neologist,
That, yet again, doesn't address the question.
vikorr

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 12:27 am
@InfraBlue,
While I see that you have replied to Neologist...your comment in aimed at your 'conundrum'....Can you articulate why my explanation doesn't answer the 'conundrum' that you posed?
InfraBlue

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 11:27 pm
@vikorr,
Well, you based your explanation on a premise that you aren't sure about, "we supposedly remember everything we've ever experienced..."

I don't think that's true unless one is a hyperthymesiac and even their recollections are not complete. We've forgotten most of what we've experienced in life.

"Omniscience includes past knowledge, present knowledge, and perhaps future knowledge."
The definition of "omniscience" is "having total knowledge." That would include knowledge of the future as well as the past and present.

"We've already established that past knowledge does not need your current awareness for you to actually know that thing."

I don't know what you mean by this. You're referring to knowledge as something that is apart from you.

"I see no reason why omniscience's present & future tenses can't work this way...knowing, but not having that knowledge at your fingertips until you turn your focus to it."

I don't know what to make of your conclusion given the questions that are raised by your premise and your assertions that I've pointed out.
vikorr

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 12:54 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Well, you based your explanation on a premise that you aren't sure about, "we supposedly remember everything we've ever experienced..."
I wrote it that way because I don't know all the details, nor am I an expert on memory.

However, that line is not the basis of my explanation - it was the introduction.

Quote:
The definition of "omniscience" is "having total knowledge." That would include knowledge of the future as well as the past and present.
So you have no real issue with what I said...why bother raising it?

vikorr wrote:
"We've already established that past knowledge does not need your current awareness for you to actually know that thing."

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by this. You're referring to knowledge as something that is apart from you.
Not at all. Do you know what you ate for breakfast? (you should if your memory is any good)

Was it at the forefront of your mind (ie were you aware of it in the present) before I asked the question?

You have knowledge of what you ate , but you it wasn't something you were thinking about until you recalled it...it had been filed to one side. Ie you weren't aware of it until the question was asked and you turned your focus to it (in order to recall the knowledge)

Quote:
I don't know what to make of your conclusion given the questions that are raised by your premise and your assertions that I've pointed out.

- Your first point was was based on a false assumption by yourself (that my introduction was the basis of my argument, rather than just an introduction - my point works even were I to use the example of a person with poor memory, but some memory)
- your second point disagreed in no true way to what I was saying (omniscience is past present and perhaps future Vs omniscience is past present & future knowledge...great, we don't disagree)
- you made no other point other than saying 'I don't understand what you are saying here'

The line of thought I gave is quite easy to follow. It's only difficult if your emotions are invested in another line of thought.
vikorr

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 01:01 am
So having offered an explanation for how omniscience may not necessarily include current awareness of all knowledge: Neologist, I have a question for you:

- if God is all powerful, and anything is within his realm of capabilities...why does he not have all knowledge currently in his awareness? Why would it need to be selective awareness if he is all powerful / all capable ?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 02:47 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
I wrote it that way because I don't know all the details, nor am I an expert on memory.

However, that line is not the basis of my explanation - it was the introduction.

Ok. So we can disregard it.

vikorr wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
So you have no real issue with what I said...why bother raising it?

I raised it because you weren't sure about the future aspect of omniscience, having written that it perhaps includes future knowledge. I was affirming the fact.

vikorr wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

vikorr wrote:

Not at all. Do you know what you ate for breakfast? (you should if your memory is any good)

Was it at the forefront of your mind (ie were you aware of it in the present) before I asked the question?

You have knowledge of what you ate , but you it wasn't something you were thinking about until you recalled it...it had been filed to one side. Ie you weren't aware of it until the question was asked and you turned your focus to it (in order to recall the knowledge)

Ah, thank you for clarifying it.

vikorr wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

- Your first point was was based on a false assumption by yourself (that my introduction was the basis of my argument, rather than just an introduction - my point works even were I to use the example of a person with poor memory, but some memory)
- your second point disagreed in no true way to what I was saying (omniscience is past present and perhaps future Vs omniscience is past present & future knowledge...great, we don't disagree)
- you made no other point other than saying 'I don't understand what you are saying here

The line of thought I gave is quite easy to follow. It's only difficult if your emotions are invested in another line of thought.

With all sincerity, I didn't know what to make of your proposition, hence the questions. You did clarify it, thank you.

You're saying that omniscience involves recollection, the act of remembering. I would think that omniscience would involve knowing everything at all times. It seems that that is what you're getting at in your question to neo, "if God is all powerful, and anything is within his realm of capabilities...why does he not have all knowledge currently in his awareness?"
Smileyrius

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 04:58 pm
I'm not sure I understand this exercise, The word omniscient doesn't actually appear in scripture. so why do we try to fit the god of it to that specific description?

vikorr

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 08:19 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
You're saying that omniscience involves recollection, the act of remembering.
Ah, no - that wasn't what I was saying at all.

My explanation was given because:
- Neologist posed that point of view
- you said that point of view posed a conundrum
- I did some mental exercise and didn't see it as a conundrum, and wrote down how I saw Neo's perspective working

Quote:
I would think that omniscience would involve knowing everything at all times. It seems that that is what you're getting at in your question to neo, "if God is all powerful, and anything is within his realm of capabilities...why does he not have all knowledge currently in his awareness?"
Well yes, but that question is only posed because Neo added the claims of all powerful / capable. Without that claim, then a 'selective focus' omniscience works well enough - as knowing everything (the definition as far as I know of omniscience)...doesn't say anything about having to possess current awareness of all of that knowledge (all at the same time).
neologist

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 08:38 pm
@Smileyrius,
Prezactly
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 08:41 pm
The exact word may not be in there, but the concept and the claims are:

Quote:
Psalm 147:5 ESV /

Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure.

1 John 3:20 ESV /

For whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything.

Isaiah 40:28 ESV /

Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable.

Jeremiah 1:5 ESV /

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

Jeremiah 23:24 ESV /

Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord.

Psalm 139:1-6 ESV /

To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. ...

Psalm 147:4-5 ESV /

He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names. Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure.

Romans 11:33-36 ESV /

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?” “Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

Hebrews 4:13 ESV /

And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Matthew 10:30 ESV /

But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.

Jeremiah 29:11 ESV /

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Isaiah 42:9 ESV /

Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them.”

1 Chronicles 28:9 ESV /

“And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever.

http://www.openbible.info/topics/omniscience
neologist

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 08:50 pm
@FBM,
And his willingness to conceal foreknowledge is indicated by his offering choice:
Quote:
I take the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you today that I have put life and death before you, the blessing and the curse; and you must choose life so that you may live, you and your descendants,(Deuteronomy 30:19)
He could not offer that which was not possible.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 08:55 pm
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? Until there's some credible evidence that this invisible, undetectable being even exists, may as well argue about that. Rolling Eyes
neologist

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 08:58 pm
@FBM,
You posted the scriptures

Bleah! Razz
FBM

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 09:04 pm
@neologist,
Yes, I did. And yesterday I briefly discussed Batman with someone. But I don't build my life around Batman.
neologist

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 09:06 pm
@FBM,
But you did not post your Batman considerations here.

Not sayin' you should, mind you....
FBM

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 09:09 pm
@neologist,
I'll see if I can find a Batman thread. I'm not interested enough to start one of my own. I'm not too into the whole fantasy genre...
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sun 2 Aug, 2015 11:57 pm
@Smileyrius,
Like FBM said it's implied in the various Bible texts.

Your religion uses it as well.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Mon 3 Aug, 2015 09:45 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
You're saying that omniscience involves recollection, the act of remembering.
Ah, no - that wasn't what I was saying at all.

My explanation was given because:
- Neologist posed that point of view
- you said that point of view posed a conundrum
- I did some mental exercise and didn't see it as a conundrum, and wrote down how I saw Neo's perspective working

Right, as an explanation of the reasons you list above, you said that.

vikorr wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
]I would think that omniscience would involve knowing everything at all times. It seems that that is what you're getting at in your question to neo, "if God is all powerful, and anything is within his realm of capabilities...why does he not have all knowledge currently in his awareness?"

Well yes, but that question is only posed because Neo added the claims of all powerful / capable. Without that claim, then a 'selective focus' omniscience works well enough - as knowing everything (the definition as far as I know of omniscience)...doesn't say anything about having to possess current awareness of all of that knowledge (all at the same time).

Ok, point taken. Neo wasn't referring to "selective focus" as you're defining it, however. Neo is saying that, in regard to humans' choices, God does not know their outcome, period.
InfraBlue

Mon 3 Aug, 2015 09:57 am
@FBM,
It's a lot like discussing the religi0philosophical implications of "selfhood" and "personhood."
neologist

Mon 3 Aug, 2015 12:46 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
. . . Ok, point taken. Neo wasn't referring to "selective focus" as you're defining it, however. Neo is saying that, in regard to humans' choices, God does not know their outcome, period.
Perhaps removing 'period' from before the period makes more sense, lest we be led to conclude that God cannot know the outcome for any individual. He correctly foretold the outcomes for Jacob and Esau, for example.