50,000 Errors in the Bible...Is Bible God's Word??

izzythepush

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 05:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
I didn't realise it was your birthday Frank. You'll just have to make do with Krumple's gift, but I think that's enough for anyone.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 06:44 am
@GorDie,
GorDie wrote:

Name 1 error in the Bible right now, and I will clarify it for you. There are zero.
List your misconceptions.

Take your pick. Full explanations at the links: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Biblical_scientific_errors

Quote:
Biblical scientific errors occur when a verse, approached from a literalist perspective, states something about reality that's fundamentally flawed. Biblical scientific errors are external errors (errors in relating the Bible to the external world), rather than internal errors.
Biblical scientific errors suggest against Biblical scientific foreknowledge and Biblical literalism.
Contents [hide]
1 Biology
1.1 Anatomy of insects
1.2 The smallest seed
2 Mathematics
2.1 The value of pi
3 Astronomy
3.1 Firmament
3.2 Illumination
3.3 Stars
3.4 Planetary formation

Or from among these: http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html

Quote:
A List of Biblical Contradictions

Contradictions

God good to all, or just a few?
War or Peace?
Who is the father of Joseph?
Who was at the Empty Tomb?
Is Jesus equal to or lesser than?
Which first, beasts or man?
How many stalls and horsemen?
Is it folly to be wise or not?
Human vs. ghostly impregnation
The sins of the father
Hares do not chew their cud
Fowl from waters or ground
Odd genetics
The shape of the earth
Snakes, while built low, do not eat dirt
Earth supported?
Heaven supported too
The hydrological cycle
Order of creation
Moses' personality
Righteous live?
Jesus' first sermon plain or mount?
Jesus' last words
Years of famine
Moved David to anger?
The genealogy of Jesus?
God be seen?
Cruel, unmerciful, destructive, and ferocious or kind, merciful, and good
Tempts?
Judas died how?
Ascend to heaven
What was Jesus' prediction regarding Peter's denial?
How many time did the cock crow?
How many beatitudes in the Sermon on the Mount
Does every man sin?
Who bought potter's field?
Who prophesied the potter's field?
Do you answer a fool?
How many children did Michal, the daughter of Saul, have?
How old was Jehoiachin when he began to reign?
Marriage?
Did those with Saul/Paul at his conversion hear a voice?
Where was Jesus three days after his baptism?
How many apostles were in office between the resurrection and ascension?
Judging
Good deeds
For or against?
Whom did they see at the tomb?
God change?
Destruction of cities (what said was Jeremiah was Zechariah)
Whose sepulchers?
When second coming?
Solomon's overseers
The mother of Abijah
When did Baasha die?
How old was Ahaziah when he began to reign?
The differences in the census figures of Ezra and Nehemiah
What was the color of the robe placed on Jesus during his trial?
What did they give him to drink?
How long was Jesus in the tomb?
neologist

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 08:56 am
@Krumple,
Frank Apisa wrote:
And of course, as you pointed out earlier, there is that story about "Abraham" going up the mountain to get the Ten Commandments!

Right?
Krumple wrote:
I'm not sure what you are trying to spur me on here. But I like the story of Abraham going up the mountain. It is so convoluted of a story. Abraham leads a group of people and then goes up the mountain a lone (suspect). Can't bring an eye witness with you when you are about to visit with god. Has a little discussion with god and the first set of commandments were made. WHAT? The first set? We don't even know what was on this first set because as he returned to the people he saw they were worshiping a golden calf and got upset and destroyed the tablets.

I find this interesting that he would do such a thing. But it calls into question motivation for creating a second set and if you look at the very first commandment, not to have other gods. Hmm how convenient that this all of a sudden appears as a rule. Perhaps it wasn't in the first set and Abraham realized his first set wasn't good enough and needed to be reworked, so he destroyed them.

The other funny thing is, how long was he gone up the mountain? I know humans are fickle with beliefs but I can't buy that he was only gone a day or two before they started worshiping a golden calf and had one constructed. It surely should have taken time to collect the materials to build the alter.

It would also make sense if Abraham was gone a long time. They assume that he isn't coming back, that he died or abandoned them which is why they took up a new faith.

Also if Abraham was only gone a day or two it doesn't really make sense that he would destroy the tablets however; if he was gone for much longer it means he had more investment in his intentions to trick the people into believing god handed down these rules. This would make things more tense for him. Being gone so long only to discover that the people were following a pagan god in his absence. He would regret being gone so long as well as upset that they were so fickle.

It gives him motivation to revise the old list and come up with a new one. Suspect because the first five of the ten deal directly with god. Now why would these rules need to be so central? It is clear he was trying to empower them, but how come he didn't go back up the mountain to create the second set? Didn't he need god to verify them? If god was not necessary to verify them, why would he need to go up the first time?

It's clear he was trying to trick the people who clearly needed a set of guidelines and clearly him asking them to do something would never be good enough unless the commands were empowered by a deity. But unless people invest in the deity the rules don't work either, which is why the first five commands empower the deity who can then empower the latter five commands.
I would suggest (and I think Frank would agree) that you actually read the Bible accounts to which you refer. Just to be sure you get all the details

Laughing
neologist

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 09:09 am
@FBM,
You should know by now that when you post a smorgasbord, we need only select the morsels most juicy.
FBM wrote:
Take your pick. . . .Biblical scientific errors occur when a verse, approached from a literalist perspective, states something about reality that's fundamentally flawed. . . The value of pi . . .
Please provide a citation showing the Bible's misrepresentation of the value of pi or admit the reference from 'rational' wiki is a sophomoric hoax.
FBM

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 09:16 am
@neologist,
Man up and shed your irrational fear of off-site links.

Krumple

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 09:26 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
And of course, as you pointed out earlier, there is that story about "Abraham" going up the mountain to get the Ten Commandments!

Right?
Krumple wrote:
I'm not sure what you are trying to spur me on here. But I like the story of Abraham going up the mountain. It is so convoluted of a story. Abraham leads a group of people and then goes up the mountain a lone (suspect). Can't bring an eye witness with you when you are about to visit with god. Has a little discussion with god and the first set of commandments were made. WHAT? The first set? We don't even know what was on this first set because as he returned to the people he saw they were worshiping a golden calf and got upset and destroyed the tablets.

I find this interesting that he would do such a thing. But it calls into question motivation for creating a second set and if you look at the very first commandment, not to have other gods. Hmm how convenient that this all of a sudden appears as a rule. Perhaps it wasn't in the first set and Abraham realized his first set wasn't good enough and needed to be reworked, so he destroyed them.

The other funny thing is, how long was he gone up the mountain? I know humans are fickle with beliefs but I can't buy that he was only gone a day or two before they started worshiping a golden calf and had one constructed. It surely should have taken time to collect the materials to build the alter.

It would also make sense if Abraham was gone a long time. They assume that he isn't coming back, that he died or abandoned them which is why they took up a new faith.

Also if Abraham was only gone a day or two it doesn't really make sense that he would destroy the tablets however; if he was gone for much longer it means he had more investment in his intentions to trick the people into believing god handed down these rules. This would make things more tense for him. Being gone so long only to discover that the people were following a pagan god in his absence. He would regret being gone so long as well as upset that they were so fickle.

It gives him motivation to revise the old list and come up with a new one. Suspect because the first five of the ten deal directly with god. Now why would these rules need to be so central? It is clear he was trying to empower them, but how come he didn't go back up the mountain to create the second set? Didn't he need god to verify them? If god was not necessary to verify them, why would he need to go up the first time?

It's clear he was trying to trick the people who clearly needed a set of guidelines and clearly him asking them to do something would never be good enough unless the commands were empowered by a deity. But unless people invest in the deity the rules don't work either, which is why the first five commands empower the deity who can then empower the latter five commands.
I would suggest (and I think Frank would agree) that you actually read the Bible accounts to which you refer. Just to be sure you get all the details

Laughing

I have read the bible. Studied it for a long time. You have no clue what you are talking about. So instead of attempting to write it off as if I have no idea what I am talking about, why not actually address what I said? Probably because you can't. So your only method is to attempt to claim that I have never read the bible.
MontereyJack

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 09:49 am
@GorDie,
There was no Noah's flood. There is no universal flood layer all over the world. That is not the way fossils formed. There is no way he could have crowded all the animal species in the world into that size boat, let alone found and gathered the ones with definite long term histories in other continents. The alleged ark remains on Ararat are a proven hoax. that's just a small acount of a few of the impoossibilites of the story.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 09:54 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
I have read the bible. Studied it for a long time. You have no clue what you are talking about.

It's the gift that just keeps on giving.
neologist

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 10:42 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
I have read the bible. Studied it for a long time. You have no clue what you are talking about. So instead of attempting to write it off as if I have no idea what I am talking about, why not actually address what I said? Probably because you can't. So your only method is to attempt to claim that I have never read the bible.
Well, indeed!
What translation of the Bible has Abraham usurping Moses' position?
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 10:45 am
@izzythepush,
Krumple wrote:
I have read the bible. Studied it for a long time. You have no clue what you are talking about.
izzythepush wrote:
It's the gift that just keeps on giving.
Pop another brew while K explains his gaffe.
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 10:46 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
Man up and shed your irrational fear of off-site links.
OK. Deal
You explain the pi BS and I'll visit the link.
0 Replies

GorDie

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 06:08 pm
@Krumple,
there is no inconsistency about whether an event occurred before, after or during the Passover. That was an error in your judgement. You were rambling. But it is also funny that you take the time to write such elaborate claims about inconsistencies and how variations in stories theoretically exist in this world, BUT DID NOT simply make a case. What inconsistencies in Numbers of people present were you making reference too specifically and please specify the differences.
as you did not even provide a valid example of an "error" in the first place. You should be expected to give statistical evidence of the inconstancy.
GorDie

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 06:15 pm
@FBM,
Provide an example of each:

biology of insects - insects do not have 6 identical legs** they have two arms, two mid body legs, and two hind legs? I hope that was not one of your examples. Watch an ant clean itself you turkey.

provide an example for : biology: anatomy of insects: the smallest seed (of a fruit/crop), the value of pi : mathematics: astronomy: firmament (I assume you mean sky ~ Oh please be elaborate ass to how there was an error in this one.): Illumination: stars: and Planetary formation.
~
As you seem to be convinced that there is any fallible information there.

I assure you, you are incapable of providing a valid example I cannot easy Clarify. It is your misconception, and your lack of knowledge, not a flaw in the scripture. I can prove this with EVERY and ANY example you provide - AS you have not actually named 1 error in the Bible yet - you have simply insinuated that you think there are.

yet thank you for gracing me with a list of your misconceptions. This will be rejoiceful.

(** I'll begin listing all the problems you listed in the Quote now**)
FBM

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 06:19 pm
@GorDie,
You didn't disprove any of the claims. You'll need more than empty rhetoric.
GorDie

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 06:41 pm
@FBM,
You didn't provide a claim** You suggest that you are capable of it but neglected to. and as far as the list of examples you quoted from a website ^^^It clearly says I was getting to those NOW. fawk.

"one page worth thus far."

God good to all, or just a few? God provides abundantly, for all. That which a person lacks, is lacking only because it is taken away or withheld by a man against the guidance of God. This is not suggestive God is not good. Environmentally inflicted wounds are results of poor habitation, typically caused by surrounding one’s self with social conflicts (lack of love for neighbours)(love being: a lack of necessity to demonstrate itself sexually.).

War or Peace? Peace cannot exist in a socially unequal environment, or a politically unequal environment, or in an environment of selfishness, or perversion.

Who is the Father of Joseph? This is not an error a contradiction or an issue: This presents no anomaly or confounding nature to an argument – but the stirring of the questioner’s stupidity, as he presented no logic in asking the question.

Who was at the empty tomb? Is the answer not, “NO ONE”? How is this even a question of “Biblical Contradiction”? the questioner was an idiot.

Is Jesus Equal to or Less than? God said, “let there be Light.” And as Jesus made it, “it was so.” Jesus is the Lord God, he is the Word of God. He is gloried by God as being the “Person of God” so that we might perceive his personality. Lesser or Greater? Neither. He is the Word of God.

Which first, Beat or Man? Not a Biblical CONTRADICTION** retard questioner**

How many stalls and horsemen – regardless, Solomon was not permitted by Mosaic law to purchase a single horse from Egypt, he filled stalls with hundreds or thousands. And yet.. is the number varying by more than a singular digit, or is it variations in numerology? As in 1000 – 10 000, or is it 1300 -27 000? Let your own judgement be twice upon yourself.

Is it a Folly to be wise or Not? You call that a contradiction? Wise men are saddened by the raping of whores, and the drunkards, they regret the disrespect of children and human rights, the theft of property, whilst the Fool thinks only, “It is better that it was not me.”. Is this folly? What biblical contradiction are you suggesting this imbecil is referencing? Such grief it is to be wise amongst morons.

Human vs. Ghostly impregnation. – not an account of Biblical CONTRADICTION*

The Sins of the Father – being inherited by his children: are factual. A father’s son will inherit his father’s mannerisms through learned experience. “Monkey see, Monkey do.”(good or bad). A child in a poor house, inherited his father’s poverty, for better or worse. A child in an abusive father’s household, bears his father’s sins regardless of his personal morals. And the list continues to all the flaws of a father. These flaws can only go so many generations before the child’s variation in experience from learning, inevitably will resolve the initial conflict, but he will continue to inherit the products.

Hares do not chew their cud – wtf kind of a Biblical contradiction is that? Hares DO NOT regurgitate their food to chew it.

Fowls from water or ground – not a Biblical Contradiction** the Fowl came from land, which was already present at the time***. The eggs formed on land, while the eggs of sea things were formed under water (regardless of your willingness to accept it, this was a day of Egg Bearing**).

Odd genetics – hmmm? Wanna say this is a BIBLICAL CONTRADICTION in WHAT WAY?
Krumple

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 06:41 pm
@GorDie,
GorDie wrote:

there is no inconsistency about whether an event occurred before, after or during the Passover. That was an error in your judgement. You were rambling. But it is also funny that you take the time to write such elaborate claims about inconsistencies and how variations in stories theoretically exist in this world, BUT DID NOT simply make a case. What inconsistencies in Numbers of people present were you making reference too specifically and please specify the differences.
as you did not even provide a valid example of an "error" in the first place. You should be expected to give statistical evidence of the inconstancy.

Oh I assumed you would have been aware of the specifics. Let me explain them then.

Referring to the resurrection story.

How many women went to the tomb?

Matthew states there were two.
Mark states there were three.
Luke states there were five.
John states there was one.

When was the tomb visited?

Mathew says they went at dawn.
Mark says it happened at sun rise.
Luke says dawn.
John says it was still dark.

How many messengers were at the tomb?

Matthew says one angel was there.
Mark says there were men.
Luke says there were men.
John says there were two angels.

Who did the women tell about the risen Jesus?

Matthew says they told the disciples.
Mark says they told NO ONE.
Luke says disciples and others.
John says ONLY mary magdalene told the disciples.

The women's encounter with the risen Jesus.

Matthew the women held Jesus.
Mark says nothing.
Luke says nothing.
John states the woman was told not to touch Jesus.
FBM

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 06:46 pm
@GorDie,
Do you have anything more than ad hom fallacies, red herrings and empty rhetoric? You still haven't disproved any of those claims.

Quote:
GEN 1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
GEN 1:21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.
GorDie

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 06:47 pm
@Krumple,
Thank you Krumple.

Now this was not a witnessing of the Resurrection** so your first claim was false*

second of all. None of those four men were there* SO this was not an eye witness account*

Third of ALL! and the most important. This is a LESSON for men. To scrutinize the things you hear.

The Bible is the source of the famous quote that says, "Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see."

It shows quickly how fast you are to judge over matters which are of no relevance, whilst you quickly over look the significant moral of the story. You arrogantly focus on such trivial things, while you banter the good wisdom and advice before all the world needlessly. YOu fool
GorDie

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 06:49 pm
@FBM,
false. every one I mentioned, I did. And YOU still have not provided evidence the Bible has errors concerning your first list of "examples". astronomy, insects, stars, planetary formation, etc...
YOu haven't even began USE the word CONTRADICTION correctly in any of your assertions.
Krumple

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 06:52 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Do you have anything more than ad hom fallacies, red herrings and empty rhetoric? You still haven't disproved any of those claims.

Quote:
GEN 1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
GEN 1:21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

To be fair FBM, you did give him a laundry list without any explanation. I would have even had a difficult time tracking them down. Even though I agree with you that there are many discrepancies, a handful would have been suffice because they can't honestly be refuted without doing a bunch of apologetics to get them to make sense.