Sheep - a poem in one sentence

aidan

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 11:46 pm
Quote:
Yes-I did once. I got invited and one does have to respect invitations.

Really? You mean you think it's okay to pee in the sink, but you'd find it to be inexcusably rude to decline an invitation? Interesting.

Quote:
I took my guitar and sang them my Happy Landings song. One bloke applauded enthusiastically and the rest sat dumbfounded.

I can imagine that. It's kind of difficult figuring out quite what to make of you sometimes Spendius. (How does the Happy Landings song go? I have good associations with that phrase "happy landings" but I've never heard the song).

Quote:
I was in a relationship at the time with a doyen of the anti-intellectualism school of philosophy. She hadn't read Hofstadter,or even heard of him, but she had arrived at a similar conclusion hopefully by a different route.[/[/quote]

I believe you mean "doyenne", since you later referred to her as a she, and not a he. (Just busting your chops-I have to take every opportunity you give me, as you'll bust mine even if you have to make something up to do it over).

Okay - you made me learn something. Here's my report on Hofstadter. (I'm assuming you mean Douglas- there's also a Robert and a Richard). Robert is Douglas' father, and Richard is an historian, not really involved in philosophy, So I'll go with Douglas who seems the most interesting to me.

Douglas Hofstadter ( I had heard of the name, but couldn't remember why or in what context) is an American academic who studies models of cognition, perception and intelligence. He's interested in the study of creativity and imagination as well. He inspired a generation of computer scientists and others interested in artificial intelligence (and will probably inspire many generations to come).
His law said something like "It will always take longer than you think it will take, even when taking Hofstadter's law into account." He also wrote several books (one dedicated to his late wife, Carol- ah, a romantic) and even made a CD of piano music with some of his students. He's multi-linguial and well-respected in his field.
He's a "doyen" of sorts. Sounds like an intelligent, well-rounded and sensitive guy. Nice - you don't always find that combination - someone who is primarily a mathmetician also expressing his creative side.

Thanks Spendius. I know you weren't trying to make me feel stupid. I know you were just trying to introduce me to something new and enrich my life. I really appreciate that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 12:12 pm
aidan wrote-

Quote:
You mean you think it's okay to pee in the sink,

I didn't actually say that.

Quote:
but I've never heard the song).

I could never get the first verse right.

"I wrote a little song
Late one night
About a doctor and a goose
I sent it down to the publishing house
Saying 'Hey man-turn that loose!' " Repeat last line.

Or "A goose and a golden egg
I sent it off to the publishing house
They said, 'Not even if you beg' "

Fast rocker.

Sorry about "doyenne".

I meant Richard Hofstadter. I have his Anti-Intellectualism in America and The American Political Tradition. I don't know the other two.

Gee-it's been hot here today. I had to take my long-johns off in a lay-by.

BTW- That ripping newspaper thing you've seen. I once saw someone read a paper like that but he was only doing it to render the remaining parts more manageable. He was in bed.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 02:38 pm
If your all there Spendius, I'm a Chinaman.

You need to get some attention, and I'd be very fast getting it if I were you.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 02:51 pm
spendius wrote:
aidan wrote-

Quote:
Quote:
You mean you think it's okay to pee in the sink,

I didn't actually say that.

I know you didn't. I was just milking it.

Quote:
I could never get the first verse right.

"I wrote a little song
Late one night
About a doctor and a goose
I sent it down to the publishing house
Saying 'Hey man-turn that loose!' " Repeat last line.

Or "A goose and a golden egg
I sent it off to the publishing house
They said, 'Not even if you beg' "

Fast rocker.

I think you should stick to comedy. I wrote a little song about Happy Landings: it goes

When you're flying so high
And you're scared you'll crash and die
Just look out at the clouds and don't look down.

Cross your fingers, grip your seat
Say Hail Mary's, stop, repeat
And they'll be Happy Landings all around.

or how about:
When karma comes calling
you'll commence your final falling
They'll be no happy landings to be found.

It could go either way you know.

Quote:
Sorry about "doyenne".

To quote your great self, "Don't sweat it, kid." (This is where you're supposed to laugh out loud- or at least smile or snicker or something).

Quote:
I meant Richard Hofstadter. I have his Anti-Intellectualism in America and The American Political Tradition. I don't know the other two.

Oh. Well, at least I learned about Douglas and his wonderful work at the University of Indiana. So I still don't know what conclusion you and your doyenne reached that was based on Richard's work. Want to tell me, or do I have to read his book?

Quote:
Gee-it's been hot here today. I had to take my long-johns off in a lay-by.

Pretty temperate here. My feet were cold all day because I insisted on wearing my flip flops, and it really wasn't warm enough for that. You must be pretty thin-blooded- still wearing long-johns in May.

Quote:
BTW- That ripping newspaper thing you've seen. I once saw someone read a paper like that but he was only doing it to render the remaining parts more manageable. He was in bed.

No, it wasn't about that. Richard is pretty profoundly autistic. He's non-verbal, and as a matter of fact, I don't even know if he can read. He rips the paper up into hundreds of very thin little strips. I'm sure the majority of it is due to OCD that goes along with autism. But I'd also be curious to know if he can read, (I see him in the library all the time) and if he can, does he find the news distressing.

It's just interesting to me to think about how people with disabilities interpret the same stimulus we more "normally" or "typically" functioning people do.

I like to think of Richard as kind of a king of the Mendips. He does seem really comfortable up there. I think it's at least partially because he gets away from all the excess stimulation that is probably torturous to him down here in the world.

I like the Guardian's shape and format the best , although not it's writing. It's very comfortable to hold and read anywhere. Even when you're lying in bed. Is it too liberal a publication for your taste?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 03:35 pm
aidan wrote-

Quote:
Even when you're lying in bed. Is it too liberal a publication for your taste?

Just a little bit.

My song has 14 verses. Or so. My hero goes through the wringer. It's an extended metaphor on the role of the English working man. A brief history. It's not like My Way. Apart from Sid's version. RIP.

Quote:
Want to tell me,

Nope.

Quote:
It's just interesting to me to think about how people with disabilities interpret the same stimulus we more "normally" or "typically" functioning people do.

It is and it gets even more interesting if you define disabilities more widely than usual and bring evolution theory in. A lot of disabilities shade insensibly into normality and typical functioning and on into the opposites.

Quote:
I like to think of Richard as kind of a king of the Mendips. He does seem really comfortable up there. I think it's at least partially because he gets away from all the excess stimulation that is probably torturous to him down here in the world.

There is a bit too much "stimulation" around I agree. I suppose it must be necessary in some way. Anyway- wish him good luck for me.

Do lettuce butties give you sweet dreams? Cheese gives me really wierd ones. I don't eat cheese.

The other night I dreamt I was showing the Queen around my country estate. It was ace.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 01:04 am
aidan wrote
Quote:

Spendius wrote
Quote:
It is and it gets even more interesting if you define disabilities more widely than usual and bring evolution theory in. A lot of disabilities shade insensibly into normality and typical functioning and on into the opposites.

You know, you've not said one single thing that I've ever agreed with more than this. That's exactly what I believe. That's why I love working and spending time with the people I work with who have cognitive and developmental delays. They often have a much purer and more realistic and honest view of the world. I'm not insulting them by comparing them to children (most of them are still children, or very young adults), but I think there's is a mindeset that is often unmuddled and unpolluted, such as you find in children before they've learned how to play games, or in the elderly after they've decided that time's too short to mess around with games. They have a different set of priorities and perspectives, and I find I enjoy being around it. I always feel refreshed, less jaded and more hopeful.

That's why I found Douglas' work so interesting. I will be reading his book about differences in intelligence, perception and creativity, so I won't have time to read the other guy's anyway.

And I'm not romanitcizing what it must be like to be disabled in any fashion. I know for most who have to deal with whatever issue they do, it's torture. And for Richard, I'm sure part of his frustration has to do with his inability to communicate what he is thinking, at least in a way that most of the humans around him can understand.

Quote:
There is a bit too much "stimulation" around I agree. I suppose it must be necessary in some way. Anyway- wish him good luck for me.

You know it's interesting, but in the US, children are being diagnosed with Autism in epidemic porportions. I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with all the excess stimulation and the human inability to filter it. It'd be interesting to find out how the incidence of autism in a society such as the US compares statistically to that of a less developed nation where there is still a more natural level of stimulation. (I should have been a researcher, because I find this stuff fascinating).

Anyway, how wonderfully kind of you to wish him well. I'll add your good thoughts to mine next time I see him.

Quote:
Do lettuce butties give you sweet dreams? Cheese gives me really wierd ones. I don't eat cheese.

I don't think I've ever had a lettuce buttie. What is it? I don't typically enjoy cheese either, except the really soft ones like mozerella and brie.

Quote:
The other night I dreamt I was showing the Queen around my country estate. It was ace.

What a nice way to help her celebrate her 80th year!

Mathos- I think I figured out why you need to carry around that thunderbolt. You're still farming, right? You use it as a cattle prod, right?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 01:03 pm
aidan-

I'm not sure you understood this as I meant it-

Quote:

I was intending covering the whole population with it.

I think you might like Arthur Koestler's Insight and Outlook.

Mathos is holding a stalagmite. (geddit?)
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 03:10 pm
I think I did understand what you meant by your statement. I was referring to the entire population too. I interpreted you to mean that some disabilities or what might be considered "mutations" had evolved over time into what might be considered normalcy, and that some characteristics which were considered "normal" have evolved over time (mostly due to a culture's changing mores) to seem like disabilities or mutations.

How different or "disabled" we are is really only determined by the population we are a part of at a given or particular time.
A disability might be considered any trait that inhibits our functioning in a particular society, so the definition of "disability" changes from society to society and era to era. But what I was saying is that what might seem to be disabilities, are strengths when viewed with a different perspective.

Yeah, I get it- Mathos - stalagmite- cave man.

You sound tired. I am too - and I've got to go to London tomorrow. I don't know why, but I'm not really looking forward to it. I'll talk to you later. Have a good night.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 03:30 pm
aidan wrote-

Quote:
Yeah, I get it- Mathos - stalagmite- cave man.

No,no. Stalag as in Stalag-Luffte Vee eff vays off meekink you talk.
And mite as in small or very small.

Your other stuff is interesting but I'll leave it until you return. I'm glad I'm not going to London.

It's going to be hot I gather.

No-I wasn't tired. Your previous post,nice though it was,didn't spark me off like this last one.

Sweet dreams.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 09:07 pm
Quote:
No,no. Stalag as in Stalag-Luffte Vee eff vays off meekink you talk.
And mite as in small or very small.

I like my explanation better. It fits - we were talking about evolution of the species. You know cave man - unevolved. Do you think our society is evolving or devolving (or would it be de-evolving?)

Quote:
Your other stuff is interesting but I'll leave it until you return. I'm glad I'm not going to London.

I'm glad I'm going, because it's for something kind of exciting. I'm just not looking forward to getting lost, being late, you know all the stuff that happens when you go somewhere unfamiliar.

Quote:
It's going to be hot I gather.

Hopefully they'll have air conditioning where I'll be.

Quote:
No-I wasn't tired. Your previous post,nice though it was,didn't spark me off like this last one.

One never knows what will "spark" anything does one? I think that's part of the beauty and excitement in life. I think that we should be allowed to enjoy whatever causes a "spark" in us. I'm all for people doing what they have to do to make their life seem more interesting- especially if it also makes them feel that they are becoming better, stronger and more productive people by doing whatever it is they have chosen to devote their energies to. What kinds of activities cause a "spark" in you? (and don't get nasty).

It ended up that I wasn't tired either. Since I had to get up at 3:00, I just stayed up and worked on my story. I think it's really coming together. Don't feel obligated to read it though - I don't think it's your cup of tea.

Quote:
Sweet dreams.

No dreams tonight - maybe tomorrow.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 08:03 am
You might have done the tyke some permanent harm Aidan, fancy taking advantage of the poor bedraggled sot in the manner you have over this thread in particular. He is obviously devoid of any further material, unless of course he recollects a barmy sunny afternoon some 70 years or more back when he espied a goat crapping on a hawthorn bush which just happened to be the resident special of Bugs Bunny.

You women have much to be ashamed of and much to answer for.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 09:28 am
Oh right Mathos.

First of all, Spendius is not a tyke- whatever you might have me believe- I know that much is true. The average adult (in America at least) has an eighth grade reading level and he has shown that his is far beyond that. He obviously has a good understanding of metaphor, allegory and other forms of symbolism, as well as the ability to decode, comprehend, and construct sophisticated and complex sentences and paragraphs.

There are some amazing "tykes" (prodigies) who are capable of the above, but they are not old enough to have had the time to read all that Spendius has read. Add to that the fact that he has not only read the initial articles or books, but also ancillary material which he has obviously studied and digested. (There is a difference you know- I tend to scan - get the big picture and forget the details- it's a lazy habit I have. Spendius is obviously not that type of lazy reader). So if one was only to consider the sheer volume of that reading - even if he read every minute of every day- he'd have to be at least twenty. Laughing
Seriously, all joking aside - he's an amazingly well-read guy. How about you? I don't have the same sense of what and how much you've read.

(Just so you know, I have no idea what you're talking about with the goat crapping on the bunny under the hawthorn bush, so I have no comment to make).

In terms of women having much to answer for, you sound as it you might be talking about Eve and original sin. Are you religious Mathos?

I don't think I harmed Spendius. I think he just moved on to other things. As we all must do when the spirit leads us. If you see him - say hello. Feel free to let him know that I'm just the same as ever and doing fine. I'll know he'll want to be assured of that.

PS. I had a great time in London. What a fabulous city. If I was twenty years younger- that's where I'd live- hands down, no questions asked.
What's your impression of London?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 09:55 am
I can understand you having great difficulty in seeing a tyke for what he be, never mind, you have time to learn the errors of your thoughts and ways.

Me and reading?? Dan Dare, Beano and Dandy spring to mind. Then there was a young urge to learn and put into practice everything I could from the erotica produced by Paul Raymond along with Hugh Heffner. The Karma Sutra, Perfumed Gardens and such likes from Eastern libraries were fantastic. Have you noticed how much better and far more relaxing the orientals take sex? It probably has a great deal to do with the weather and resultant ease of filling ones belly.

It's good for the body and soul is erotica, far more beneficial than Freud and dramatists who know little of the real world, are afraid of personal involvement and so, seek to discredit normality with their own form of cow ****, bull **** or goat crap!

If you and 'The Clown' (is that better for you?) wish to twiddle the pj cord with metaphors, allegories and mystic symbols, perhaps you should venture into the idiotic realms of Dennis Wheatley insanity.

I don't even pretend to be well read young lady. I consider being well read to be a waste of a good life! Now snooker with a damsel covering each corner pocket, that is far different, but you would never have seen that, nor would Spends, I would wager a bottle of Johnny Walker Red on that.

Religious?? What exactly is your interpretation of religion. Money?

If I see Spendius and recognise the old goat I would probably throw him into the nearest canal before he started in real life all that twaddle he expectorates within this realm.

London is THE CITY there is something extremely special about the place from the untouchable architecture the pomp of the Royals and the nightly atmosphere around the theatres, pubs and clubs.

Did you go to any decent night clubs?

Blondes used to be a real favorite of mine many years back, now I go to Annabelles and Stringfellows, they are always interesting and lively. Tis a great night at The Ministry of Sound too, but you need to be really on the ball to be part of the scene. Not for the faint hearted.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 11:29 am
Mathos wrote:
Quote:
I can understand you having great difficulty in seeing a tyke for what he be, never mind, you have time to learn the errors of your thoughts and ways.

I do? I have time to learn those things? What a relief. But tell me-how do you have knowledge of my future and what kind of time I'll have to do things that I'm not even aware I need to do? You're amazing Mathos. Are you sure you're not God?

Quote:
Me and reading?? Dan Dare, Beano and Dandy spring to mind. Then there was a young urge to learn and put into practice everything I could from the erotica produced by Paul Raymond along with Hugh Heffner. The Karma Sutra, Perfumed Gardens and such likes from Eastern libraries were fantastic. Have you noticed how much better and far more relaxing the orientals take sex? It probably has a great deal to do with the weather and resultant ease of filling ones belly.

No comment. That's one lesson I have learned. I'm not allowed to talk about sex in any way, shape or form - even as literature- on this forum. You are- and others are - but not me. But that's okay. I'm not really into talking about sex with strangers anyway, besides the fact that I have no knowledge of how "orientals" (shouldn't the term be "eastern cultures" or "asian peoples"- for some reason "oriental" seems outdated as a term) view such a private matter? Besides, I hesitate to generalize and lump any people all together under one umbrella- particularly when it comes to such an individual and personal matter.

Quote:
It's good for the body and soul is erotica, far more beneficial than Freud and dramatists who know little of the real world, are afraid of personal involvement and so, seek to discredit normality with their own form of cow ****, bull **** or goat crap!

Whatever turns you on Mathos.

Quote:
If you and 'The Clown' (is that better for you?) wish to twiddle the pj cord with metaphors, allegories and mystic symbols, perhaps you should venture into the idiotic realms of Dennis Wheatley insanity.

Are we angry Mathos? Let me know. And if I knew who Dennis Wheatley was or what insane realms he inhabited, maybe I could tell you if that's where I would venture. I don't feel like pursuing that train of thought right now though. (I don't consider Spendius to be a clown. He's way too serious most of the time to merit that moniker).

Quote:
I don't even pretend to be well read young lady. I consider being well read to be a waste of a good life! Now snooker with a damsel covering each corner pocket, that is far different, but you would never have seen that, nor would Spends, I would wager a bottle of Johnny Walker Red on that.

You're right, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Religious?? What exactly is your interpretation of religion. Money?

No, not money unless you view money as one path to freedom. I do have to admit I worship freedom. My mantra should probably be, "Don't fence me in." But religion, in general is hard for me because I really hate, hate, hate to be told what I can and can't do. I'm in almost constant rebellion against that kind of stricture. And that is so common in religion- as well as in plain, old typical day to day life. That's why I love hanging with free spirits. How about you?

Quote:
f I see Spendius and recognise the old goat I would probably throw him into the nearest canal before he started in real life all that twaddle he expectorates within this realm.

Now that was unkind.

Quote:
London is THE CITY there is something extremely special about the place from the untouchable architecture the pomp of the Royals and the nightly atmosphere around the theatres, pubs and clubs.

YES!

Quote:
Did you go to any decent night clubs?

NO! But I did go to Queen Elizabeth's Pavilion where there was just this amazing crowd of people of all ages just sitting by the river beneath the bridge at tables and on benches, etc. talking, laughing, drinking, socializing. It was a Thursday night, the first night I was there- a work night- and everyone was just relaxed and hanging out - I loved it. I went back every night I was there.

There's a Dali exhibit going on sometime soon. I have to look it up and make sure I make it over there for that. I'd been there to do touristy stuff before- but this was the first time I really experienced it. I've lived in cities before - but as you said, London is special.

Quote:
Blondes used to be a real favorite of mine many years back, now I go to Annabelles and Stringfellows, they are always interesting and lively. Tis a great night at The Ministry of Sound too, but you need to be really on the ball to be part of the scene. Not for the faint hearted.

I might be too old for that scene I'm afraid. And I know you won't believe this, but in some ways I am kind of faint hearted. Oh well.

It's a rainy Sunday- I had nothing to do- and you made me laugh Mathos. Thanks Buddy! Later....
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 01:17 pm
Aidan,

Don't drag every syllable out with me, as you obviously enjoyed doing with The Clown in order to see how often he contradicted himself, for your amusement.

Aren't we all gods?

See your at it again, if I refer to them as occidentals and you understand what I mean, why change it, it isn't broken? Just stick to the conversation and stop trying to turn every sixpence you come across into 3 two p's.

No I am not angry, I rarely do get angry it does me no good at all being angry. Do you like to think of me as an angry person, or were you just stretching the syllables again?

I don't suppose I would throw the old rooster into the canal, I would probably dangle him over a railway bridge by his ankles for a minute or two though, if he continued in the flesh as he does with the pen.

Your another of those members of society who lives by 'age;' Listen, I played knocker door run about two years ago, with a group of kids who were just about to spray a wall with graffiti, they enjoyed it, so did I. The wall is still clean too.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:46 am
Mathos wrote:
Aidan,

Quote:
Don't drag every syllable out with me, as you obviously enjoyed doing with The Clown in order to see how often he contradicted himself, for your amusement.

Okay.

Quote:
Aren't we all gods?

I don't know for sure, but my initial reaction would be to say, "No".

Quote:
See your at it again, if I refer to them as occidentals and you understand what I mean, why change it, it isn't broken? Just stick to the conversation and stop trying to turn every sixpence you come across into 3 two p's.

But that's the point. There are no more six pence coins. They were considered to be outdated and so were made obsolete. Get what I'm saying?

Quote:
No I am not angry, I rarely do get angry it does me no good at all being angry. Do you like to think of me as an angry person, or were you just stretching the syllables again?

You guys are just amazing. How do you never get angry? I'd love to learn that trick. I don't like to think of anyone as an angry person- especially not if it's directed at me.

Quote:
I don't suppose I would throw the old rooster into the canal, I would probably dangle him over a railway bridge by his ankles for a minute or two though, if he continued in the flesh as he does with the pen.

My cousin did that to me once over the railing of my grandmother's porch. It was fun though because I had a big crush on him, (this was before I was old enough to know that first cousins were off-limits) and I was enjoying the attention. Also, I knew he wouldn't drop me.

Quote:
Your another of those members of society who lives by 'age;' Listen, I played knocker door run about two years ago, with a group of kids who were just about to spray a wall with graffiti, they enjoyed it, so did I. The wall is still clean too.

It's somewhat about age, but not really totally. Honestly, even when I was in my twenties, I was never one to enjoy night clubs. Too much second hand smoke and it's always too loud to hear what anyone's saying. I always liked being outside. I went camping a lot- hiking- stuff like that. That's why I liked being outside down by the river in London. All that clean fresh air with the added bonus of not having to yell and being able to hear every little thing someone was saying to me.

I like the story about you and the kids. Kids are so fun to be around. Until or unless they turn into negative, nasty little adults. Don't you think so?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 11:48 am
Mathos wrote-

Quote:
Then there was a young urge to learn and put into practice everything I could from the erotica produced by Paul Raymond along with Hugh Heffner. The Karma Sutra, Perfumed Gardens and such likes from Eastern libraries were fantastic. Have you noticed how much better and far more relaxing the orientals take sex? It probably has a great deal to do with the weather and resultant ease of filling ones belly.

The "erotica" to which you refer is flat-out male chauvinism and treats women as conveniences. It is soon found wanting by refined ladies.

The ease by which bellies are filled in the orient is due to the introduction of rice, a plant not native to the region, and it's capacity to yield two harvests per year sometimes with a wheat crop in between. It is generally manured by human excrement and rotted down domestic waste.
The low wages of the workers in the paddies (paddy means rice in the husk) is an important factor and the complexities of the irrigation system demand a totalitarian style government operation with the usual distasteful side-effects which are conveniently hidden from view.

One hectare of rice cultivation produces 7.3 million calories whereas wheat produces only 1.5 million and meat a measly 0.34 million.

Those who dislike working in the paddy fields are usually trained to grease up to Western tourists who can be fitted into bed spaces at about 1000/hectacre and shorn of foreign exchange, greasing being a very simple skill.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 02:52 pm
I note The Clown Prince has been busy Googling 'paddy fields' etc.

Interesting isn't it Aidan how he suddenly appears like the 'Oriental Genie'
alongside Buttons and Widow Twanky in Cinderella?

We have a saying in England, something regarding a 'bad penny.'

Let that be the last of those 'silly quotes' as well Aidan, I know what I wrote and if I am unsure with regards to any comment you make, I can always look back. Sticking my quotes in front of me, which I simply ignore, is a pointless exercise. Perhaps you have just recently learned how to do quotes? Fine, I understand, but practice on The Oriental Genie, he enjoys that sort of thing. You know, his lines have been reproduced, 'Fame at last.'

Yes, I like kids, I used to go to school with them. Biggest problem today is the lack of facilities for them of an evening, which does not cost an arm or a leg they can ill afford. You only need one bad kid amongst a group strong in numbers, and you have trouble.

I am interested in The Oriental Genie now, he does get in a tantrum state! Doesn't he?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 05:28 pm
Mathos wrote:
Quote:
I note The Clown Prince has been busy Googling 'paddy fields' etc.

Spendius is a wealth of interesting information. I always learn something when he appears. I found the economic and agricultural information about rice (which happens to be one of my very favorite staple foods) very interesting. I just wish he would stop talking about excrement.

Quote:
Interesting isn't it Aidan how he suddenly appears like the 'Oriental Genie'alongside Buttons and Widow Twanky in Cinderella?

Are those characters in the panto version of Cinderella? I'm not familiar with them.

Quote:
We have a saying in England, something regarding a 'bad penny.'

We say it in America too.

Quote:
Perhaps you have just recently learned how to do quotes?
Yes, that's right. It's kind of like my new party trick. But since it annoys you, I won't do it anymore- this will be the last time- promise.

Quote:
Yes, I like kids, I used to go to school with them. Biggest problem today is the lack of facilities for them of an evening, which does not cost an arm or a leg they can ill afford. You only need one bad kid amongst a group strong in numbers, and you have trouble.

Didn't you tell me you have kids - and grandkids as a matter of fact? Did you forget about those kids Mathos?
I hold individual children responsible for their own behavior. If a child chooses to follow the bad example of another child - that's a conscious decision for which I hold that child responsible. I don't go for that old adage, "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch." That's only true if the whole bunch sticks around to be spoiled. I tell my kids that if they're with someone who is headed for trouble, they're headed in the same direction. They need to take responsiblity for themselves and leave.

Quote:
I am interested in The Oriental Genie now, he does get in a tantrum state! Doesn't he?

Sometimes he seems moody but we all have our quirks.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 06:08 pm
aidan wrote-

Quote:
I just wish he would stop talking about excrement.

Oh-there's no need to panic sweet lady.

I was only talking about the Orient. The rice in our shops has been brought up in a properly organised scientific manner and is garuanteed not to contain any molecular detritus from the internal organs of those whose waste products are collected in tanks and fermented preparatory to being pumped into the tiers on the slopes. Our rice is untouched by human colons.

It's cheaper too actually but that is very difficult to explain.
0 Replies