Sheep - a poem in one sentence

spendius

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 02:31 pm
That's right.

I'm like that myself. I'm not a woman though. It must come out different for men.

Quote:
I just write like I talk - I would have told anyone in the house with me "I'm going to the store to buy some carrots - back in a bit." I thought about it while I was talking to you - so I wrote it to you. That's it!

It's just the same with me. Somebody says something about getting silly it makes me think of Tom Thumb Blues so, like we do,you and I, which is why we might have a different type of conversation going than if we didn't, I write it to you. As you say-"That's it!". I don't look anything up or anything-I'm not trying to impress. You might be as feminine as I am masculine. We both write as we think and yours comes out your way and mine comes out my way. They say opposites attract. You want to talk about carrots and stuff it's okay with me. But I'm allowed to bounce off aren't I.

Cricketers are trying to impress and they are ridiculous. I know some. If we all had to suffer like they do in order to impress and that was considered admirable and dignified we would all be in a slave camp. A lazy sod like me couldn't think other than subjectively on a matter as important as bloody working in extreme discomfort. If we thought objectively about it we would soon be back in the "hard work never killed anyone "era. A lazy sod would have to be schizophrenic to think otherwise.

I bet you like those American Lazybones type songs like Gone Fishin'.

It's no sweat.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 03:10 pm
Okay, Mr. Spendius -What are you trying to say now, that I'm lazy? I don't know how to reply to that. Maybe I'm a lazy reader or a lazy communicator. Maybe in your frame of reference, I'm just lazy in general - I don't think I am - but maybe I am.

I know you don't have to look anything up in an effort to impress anyone. I can tell you've read and digested the references you've made. I truly believe you're a much smarter person than I am (in some ways). Or maybe, again, it's just a feminine and masculine difference in what we deem important enough to retain and how we digest information. But I freely admit you've read more of the classics than I have. Maybe it's nothing more than the difference between a British and an American education.

You know, you said once that I don't believe anything you say. I don't think you believe anything I say. As soon as I started walking to the store and I remembered that I said I was going to buy carrots, I knew that you were going to make that allusion. And I wished to god that it had been milk that I needed. But there again, there might have been some parallel you could have drawn with that.

I think you believe I'm much smarter and more calculating than I am. I think you believe I have an agenda. I don't. I think that one positive thing that could come out of an A2K meeting that we both attended is that you would see me for what I really am. You have this picture of me that is just not accurate. In a way it's kind of flattering, but the reality, which you would see if you ever met me, is much simpler, really. You probably would be disappointed. I probably am much more average than you imagine me.

But can't you be friends with someone who is less intelligent than you and more average? If you can't, all I can say is, that's pretty elitist. Did you attend some posh grammar school or something? (I'm kidding - don't get all peeved about that too), if you please, sir Laughing - Rebecca
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 06:37 pm
You should be in bed at this time of night Rebecca.

I will be very shortly.Your thoughts I will sleep on.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 03:11 am
I slept like a baby. How about you?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 05:13 pm
I had a fantastic dream.

Haliburton asked me to identify and buy an English football club with a view to investing £500 million and taking it to the dizzy heights of total dominance of European soccer fanaticism.

Easy come -easy go eh?

But the perks were incredible. Waking up was easily the worst moment of the week.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 01:19 am
So that was a good dream? You mean you would have wanted to make your bed with the likes of Haliburton and their ilk? Where are your principals? Would it be worth it to sell your ethical soul-even to own a football team that achieves world domination?

Think for a moment about all the possible negative scenarios (I know that's what you like to do, so I know I'm not asking you to do anything you won't enjoy).
Here's just one that I can think of off the top of my head that should convince you this wasn't a dream, but a nightmare:Two years from now when Dick Cheney finishes up at his present position, his old Haliburton cronies decide they want to take advantage of his managerial experience (and notoriety) and install him in the next office to work as your VP of development, or finance, or whatever old title they choose to make up and present him with. I'd think that could easily be the worst moment of your entire life , never mind week.

What sort of perks could make up for working such a stressful job?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 07:27 am
aidan wrote-

Quote:
You mean you would have wanted to make your bed with the likes of Haliburton and their ilk?

I said no such thing. The conversation was on Wed night's sleep and I just reported what I dreamed.

In Masked and Anonymous Jack Fate (played by Bob Dylan) says- "I don't pay any attention to my dreams."

Neither do I.

And in Gates of Eden there is this-

"At dawn my lover comes to me and tells me of her dreams
With no attempt to shovel them into the ditch of what each one means."

But I might fancy the idea. Once you start tracing the source of all the money you come by you can get pretty mixed up if you put principles to work. Most of your tea and coffee is grown and picked by people on less than a dollar a day. I daresay a lot of pension funds and insurance companies have Haliburton shares in their portfolios.

I would,in real life,turn such an offer down but out of sheer laziness rather than from any principles. I support the war in Iraq actually.

I can't bring to mind any "worst moments" in my life other than a bad toothache. Six of us were once held at gunpoint by the Jordanian Army in the desert for half an hour but it was no big deal. We were on official business.

Actually,I would rather play for the team than manage it. I once dreamt I scored a century for England at Lords. That was good.

I'm an unmitigated toss-pot don't you know? I'm nothing like these pompous,respectable,holier-than-thou do gooders you find all over the place.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 12:47 pm
spendius wrote:

Quote:
At dawn my lover comes to me and tells me of her dreams
With no attempt to shovel them into the ditch of what each one means.

I like that. Straight reporting and description - no crazy analyzing.

Quote:
But I might fancy the idea. Once you start tracing the source of all the money you come by you can get pretty mixed up if you put principles to work. Most of your tea and coffee is grown and picked by people on less than a dollar a day. I daresay a lot of pension funds and insurance companies have Haliburton shares in their portfolios.

Too true

Quote:
I support the war in Iraq actually.

WHAT! Now, that saddens me. On what basis? The whole WMD thing has been shown to have been a crock. And if we (the freedom fighters of the world) were going to go in and free people from evil dictators, intent on stopping genocide and protecting human rights, it's interesting to me that we ignore various hotspots, while certain others constantly merit our attention.
Of course I understand you have your beliefs, and I'm used to interacting with people who believe differently than I do (I'm the only member of my family who is not a registered Republican, didn't vote for George Bush and doesn't agree with this war). So, I'd be interested to hear your take on it.

Quote:
Six of us were once held at gunpoint by the Jordanian Army in the desert for half an hour but it was no big deal. We were on official business.

You're so full of secrets and surprises. Are/were you a soldier?

Quote:
I'm an unmitigated toss-pot don't you know? I'm nothing like these pompous,respectable,holier-than-thou do gooders you find all over the place.

That's a bunch of bull. I've read you trying to make people feel guilty for driving, flying, and otherwise defiling our air and earth many times.
It is true though, that I haven't read you sticking up for human rights very often. Not that I've read you actively spouting off against them as some people do - I've just never seen you comment on injustices much- except in terms of economics and the plight of the workers of the world.

You're quite an enigma Spendius.

What'd you do today? Another beautiful one here in Somerset. I was sad to have to spend most of it inside - but hey- I'll get outside this week-end. How much you want to bet it's gonna rain?

PS- I'm so excited. Can you believe this is the first time that I've been able to figure out how to break up the text and use the little quote option correctly. See, it takes so little to make me happy.

Have a good evening - Rebecca
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 02:19 pm
aidan wrote-

Quote:
That's a bunch of bull. I've read you trying to make people feel guilty for driving, flying, and otherwise defiling our air and earth many times.

Not at all. I have presented some facts and let those make them feel guilty if they have found them inconsistent with their actions and their ideals. They needn't feel guilty if they don't wish to but they can't go wasting energy gratuitously and then say they love their grandchildren at the same time when experts are coming on daily saying sea levels are going to rise 20ft in 50 years or the Gulf Stream is going to change course and Pacific islands and large parts of coastal regions are going to be underwater. It isn't me-it's the experts.

I never thought Iraq had WMD. They couldn't be allowed to carry on like they had been doing and that's for sure. And neither can that lot next door. The greatest good for the greatest number. Civilising the world is a big project but it will be done. Sport plays a role in it. Iraqis are a beautiful people-they deserve better than that evil clown. Iraq is the cradle of civilisation.

I do stick up for the workers-that's true. And I stick up for politicians who have the same view but do it with action and not words. I'm a Gordon Brown fan.

It isn't supposed to be going to rain where you are tomorrow. We might get some though.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 12:06 am
Quote:
I never thought Iraq had WMD. They couldn't be allowed to carry on like they had been doing and that's for sure. And neither can that lot next door. The greatest good for the greatest number. Civilising the world is a big project but it will be done. Sport plays a role in it. Iraqis are a beautiful people-they deserve better than that evil clown. Iraq is the cradle of civilisation.

Iraq is the cradle of civilization and its citizens do deserve better than Sadaam (as any people who are living under an evil and violent dictator deserve better). I just wonder if there wasn't a more efficient and less detrimental way to achieve his overthrow. And the fact that this particular war was entered into on a mandate built on lies, by people who knew they were lies before the first bomb fell, taints the whole procedure for me. Call me cynical, but I believe there are selfish agendas being adressed here and in my opinion that's just as evil as anything Sadaam has done. The only difference is George and Tony are not doing it to their "own" people, and that somehow makes it seem more palatable, but inciting and condoning the murder of children under the guise of human rights for those same children, is evil.

I'd like to hear the unfiltered and unpropagandized opinion of an Iraqi, regarding just how much they feel they are being "saved" or "civilized". And if you consider what we are doing to the world "civilizing" it (in a positive vein) I really fear for the fate of our "civilization".

It's interesting that you mentioned sport in this paragraph. It just kind of reinforces the notion that for some, war is seen as necessary and almost inevitable, but also as a somewhat secretly attractive opportunity to kick some ass and to show who's who in this world. Most of the time, it's more about power and domination, and less about actually caring for the people who are being persecuted in whatever way, and trying to alleviate their suffering. Or at least that's what it always seems to turn into.

Maybe that's truer now, in our video game culture. These kids who have grown up entering into these battles and contests of wills as entertainment for hours every single day of their lives, are the ones out there supposedly intent on "freeing" these people. I think those games have twisted and changed the psyches of our kids, and changed the way they look at people. It's so much easier for them to see a person as an enemy now, and if the person they are looking at has been labeled for them as an "enemy", it's easier for them to see that person as subhuman and nothing more than something to be destroyed. Did you see Jarhead? I found it interesting. I'd be interested to know how true to life it was. But I also realize a certain amount of that kind of energy has to be present to enable a person to do what they're being asked to do out there.

Most men can't resist competition. When my son was five or so, he was playing with this little girl on the swings and he kept saying things like, "I can run faster, I can swing higher, etc." And this little girl said, "Joe, everything is not a contest." And without even hesitating, he said, "Yes it is." This was my sweet little boy, who didn't even have video games in the house because I could never stand to see him sitting in front of a screen trying to kill people. It seems to be innate, to a point. Most men view war as necessary, but also as the ultimate contest or competition. while most women see it as nothing more than a tragedy and a failure, no matter who wins- because their more general tendency is toward equilibrium. I hate to generalize - but that's just been my experience.

So, is it raining where you are?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 08:40 am
aidan wrote-

Quote:
Most men can't resist competition.

That is probably correct judging from what you see. But those men who don't compete aren't seen so much. There's still a majority of those that do. And then it's a question of who they are competing with and what at.
Is it men or women? There's a question. Is it for money or pride?

Some guys I know compete fiercely at all sorts of trivial things. You can be playing snooker late at night and if you commit a minor infringement they claim a foul and stick 4 points on their score with a self satisfied smirk. It's more if it's a foul on the blue,pink or black. It's as if you should be penalised for being pissed. They get really wound up. Especially if you make a sarcastic crack. There are loads of wind up techniques in every sport. Take "sledging" for example. That's when a batsman is being subjected to remarks about his wife by the close-in fielders as he's trying to concentrate to face a 95mpher in overcast conditions. Or his mother. Or anything they have discovered he is sensitive about. You can imagine. Personal things that a lady such as yourself would refrain from mentioning. It's a seemingly infinite field. When money and pride are reinforcing each other in big matches the umpire sometimes has to step in.

It suffuses our way of life in the media picture. Media itself is competitive and is staffed by competitive people. They did a programme recently about a bunch of allotment folks and it was nice and calming and old fashioned but they had a competition at the end. Who had the best onions.
They didn't fry them mind you to decide. They just looked at them. There was a prize for every veggie. But you can bet that somewhere on the allotment there were other types who only grew to eat or to get away from the wife who would be sat in a deck chair while all the prize giving fuss was going off.

I would say it is a natural urge. Probably associated with sexual selection and then diverted into pride. Maybe it can be overcome like other natural urges can be. There's a natural urge to lie in bed,especially in winter, and yet some of them jump out at 6 am,take a cold shower and run 10 miles with a haversack full of bricks on their backs. What do you make of that for asceticism. It's a lot easier conquering the competitive urge than it is to conquer the snoozesnuggle urge.

Women are competitive too but some are not and these get subjected to pressure to conform. They lower the tone is the feeling. Women just compete in different areas and they are more and more competing with men as well as amongst themselves.

And generally people compete in those things they are good at. If you're no good at anything you can always compete at gardening because all you need is application. Endless, mind-numbing, back-breaking application following the seasonal treadmill.

But the real irony,which you fail to address, is that it is women who make men compete by bestowing their sexual favours on those who meet with their approval. Whenever you have said,or thought, "I fancy him" or "I don't fancy him" you have accepted such a principle. In fact you have felt it viscerally. One might say that the Islamic approach to women is tailored specifically to inhibit that feminine urge in order to avoid certain manifestations of it which can be seen in societies which encourage it. And you ladies try to look attractive in order to have the widest choice. And you encourage your children to compete.

So it's a bit self-indulgent for ladies to claim the moral high ground and castigate men for being competitive don't you think. It relies for its effect on an audience that walks around in a daze.

When Bob Hope introduced Ms Monroe to the troops in Korea it was with the immortal words- "Here ya are boys-what you're fighting for". I might not have the exacts words though. There's a fabulous scene in Apocalypse
Now with the same import but it's a bit cruder.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 01:09 am
Quote:
That is probably correct judging from what you see. But those men who don't compete aren't seen so much. There's still a majority of those that do. And then it's a question of who they are competing with and what at.
Is it men or women? There's a question. Is it for money or pride?

That's a good point. Because sometimes what looks like a competitive spirit or act isn't related to competition at all. It's just a person expressing his or her natural gifts or talents, not in search of any recognition, but because it is something they were born to do. So it may not be for money or for pride - it may just be for personal fulfillment.
I really think someone like Lance Armstrong is compelled to do what he does. I think he'd be riding his bike as fast and hard as he could whether there were people watching and a prize at the end or not. It just so happens he's really good at doing something people like to watch.

Quote:
It suffuses our way of life in the media picture. Media itself is competitive and is staffed by competitive people. They did a programme recently about a bunch of allotment folks and it was nice and calming and old fashioned but they had a competition at the end. Who had the best onions.
They didn't fry them mind you to decide. They just looked at them. There was a prize for every veggie. But you can bet that somewhere on the allotment there were other types who only grew to eat or to get away from the wife who would be sat in a deck chair while all the prize giving fuss was going off.

I totally agree. I picture a guy like Thoreau sitting in that deck chair (and as a matter of fact, working an allotment to get time alone). Reminds one that those people who like to stay in the background should, in fact, never be underestimated. They may be much more interesting and confident than those in the spotlight. Maybe they just don't need all the hoopla. That's attractive in itself.

Quote:
I would say it is a natural urge. Probably associated with sexual selection and then diverted into pride. Maybe it can be overcome like other natural urges can be. There's a natural urge to lie in bed,especially in winter, and yet some of them jump out at 6 am,take a cold shower and run 10 miles with a haversack full of bricks on their backs. What do you make of that for asceticism. It's a lot easier conquering the competitive urge than it is to conquer the snoozesnuggle urge.

Laughing I don't trust anyone who can overcome that snoozesnuggle urge too easily. And who'd like to mate with someone who makes them feel like a slug for lying in bed and staying warm in the winter? Those totally driven types scare the hell out of me- what are they running to or from? Lance Armstrong, though he's doing what he was apparently born to do, and he's very good at it, would not be my choice of mate. Compulsion is somewhat scary to me. Think Tom Cruise - yuck. When I read about his wife and child, I just think, "What has she gotten herself and that poor child into?"

Quote:
Women are competitive too but some are not and these get subjected to pressure to conform. They lower the tone is the feeling. Women just compete in different areas and they are more and more competing with men as well as amongst themselves.

True. And women tend to compete in less obvious and more surreptitious ways (except for sportswomen - then it's pretty straight forward).

How do people lower the tone by not competing though? I think, if anything, they raise the bar by pointing out that whatever is being competed for might not even be worthy criteria for a competition, and so is not worthy of that particular person's participation. I definitely don't think competition should be compulsory, or that people who refuse to compete are lacking in any way. Maybe they just don't have anything to prove.

Quote:
And generally people compete in those things they are good at. If you're no good at anything you can always compete at gardening because all you need is application. Endless, mind-numbing, back-breaking application following the seasonal treadmill.

Well, yes. If you're going to compete- chances are you hope to win- so you choose an activity you're good at. Unless you're trying to test yourself and gain skills in some new arena, and you don't mind others watching as you learn.

Sorry though, you're just wrong about gardeners. Many are artists. And most are wonderfully serene and settled people. There's a lot of peace to be found in working the earth and producing something vital to your family and other people (food- and healthy food at that).
In fact, did you know that there's a movement among gardeners and horticulturalists to plant all bare earth with something green to help reduce CO2 emissions in this country? Some people are even advocating planting on the roofs of houses and buildings. I think that would be lovely. Gardening well and correctly takes a myriad of admirable traits and skills - patience most of all. And that is something we need more of in our society. Never underestimate a gardener.

Quote:
But the real irony,which you fail to address, is that it is women who make men compete by bestowing their sexual favours on those who meet with their approval. Whenever you have said,or thought, "I fancy him" or "I don't fancy him" you have accepted such a principle. In fact you have felt it viscerally. One might say that the Islamic approach to women is tailored specifically to inhibit that feminine urge in order to avoid certain manifestations of it which can be seen in societies which encourage it. And you ladies try to look attractive in order to have the widest choice. And you encourage your children to compete.

I can't speak for any other woman but myself, but I truly am more attracted to men who refuse to compete to gain a woman's favors. I trust the men most who are just who they are, doing what they want to do with their lives. And then, yes, I watch and I react viscerally and say "I fancy him." But it's not about how he stacks up with other men. It's about how or who or what he is within himself, and whether or not that will fit with how or who or what I am within myself.

If a woman marries someone who is most interested in how she looks, she's let herself in for a long, hard road of frustration, because as the years goes by, it's just gonna take more and more work to achieve the same effect. And who wants a guy who cares more about how you look than who you are?
I read once about a woman who got up everyday an hour before her husband to appply her make-up and fix her hair so he never had to see her as she really was. That's just sad. I refuse to compete on that level. I groom myself to my own satisfaction. And it appeals to some males, and not to others. I'm not interested in those who would have me be something other than what I am- and I never have been.

I think every couple should go camping together before they get married. So they can see each other as they really are - and then make the decision- based on reality- not some fantasy.

Yes, some women live through the accomplishments of their children. I try not to, because I think it's sad and manipulative, and doesn't allow the children to express their true selves or interests - they're too busy being made to fulfill the dreams of their mother- making her look good- something she should have enough pride and energy to do for herself. It is sad the way some adults use children, isn't it?

Quote:
So it's a bit self-indulgent for ladies to claim the moral high ground and castigate men for being competitive don't you think. It relies for its effect on an audience that walks around in a daze.

Who me? Was I castigating? I was just talking about what worries me about this war. I, in general, fully accept that men are different than woman and appreciate it. I find their openness about the need to compete and their sporting spirit refreshing, especially compared to the different types of underhanded competitions a lot of women engage in. At least you guys follow rules that make some sort of sense.

Quote:
When Bob Hope introduced Ms Monroe to the troops in Korea it was with the immortal words- "Here ya are boys-what you're fighting for". I might not have the exacts words though. There's a fabulous scene in Apocalypse Now with the same import but it's a bit cruder.

And finally, this just underscores why women feel they need to compete on the fronts that they do. If they believe (as the media would have us believe) that a man is only interested in someone who looks like Marilyn Monroe- what's a normal, average girl gonna do?
I think having realistic expectations, for ourselves and others of the opposite sex would make everyone so much happier in the long run, don't you?

This was interesting to think about. Can you believe I got another sunny day? Maybe I'll do some gardening. Have you ever considered getting an allotment?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 07:41 am
aidan wrote-

Quote:
Maybe I'll do some gardening. Have you ever considered getting an allotment?

I used to have a large vegetable garden and greenhouse but it got too hard work.

Quote:
How do people lower the tone by not competing though?

I didn't say I thought they lower the tone. I said that the feeling among their competitive friends says that. And it puts pressure on them to conform which results in ostracism if it's resisted.

Quote:
I think, if anything, they raise the bar by pointing out that whatever is being competed for might not even be worthy criteria for a competition, and so is not worthy of that particular person's participation. I definitely don't think competition should be compulsory, or that people who refuse to compete are lacking in any way. Maybe they just don't have anything to prove.

I agree with that but if you take property values into account and allow that a scruffy,untended garden affects the value of surrounding houses then it is easy to understand why there will be pressure to conform. But maybe if all the houses had scruffy,untended gardens the values wouldn't be affected except insofar as they would all be lower than an estate of well attended gardens further afield. Degrees of compulsion can be exercised by social pressure. I read once that in Switzerland it is compulsory to keep an approved standard in front gardens and even the road in front of the house and everyone who visits there says how nice and clean everything is.

We can get pretty slobbish if we let go completely. An English description of a slob is somebody who doesn't bother taking the pots out of the sink before he takes a leak into it. I suppose that would meet your approval ot,at the least,not merit your disapproval.

Quote:
True. And women tend to compete in less obvious and more surreptitious ways

They are not so surreptitious to those who observe them closely. If I want to attract a lady's attention I just stare at her. I know that she's checking the room out to see who is looking at her and when it's my turn -bingo. After that it's like playing a trout although I must admit I'm not sure who's doing the fishing and who's the trout. Last week I got my eye onto one not knowing she was a lesbian and her friend came over and challenged me like a bloke would have done.

Quote:
Sorry though, you're just wrong about gardeners.

I was talking about competitive gardening. The local paper used to run a best kept garden competition sponsored by the area's biggest garden centre. They might still do. I stopped getting it after it got took over by competitive women and henpecked husbands.

Quote:
But it's not about how he stacks up with other men. It's about how or who or what he is within himself, and whether or not that will fit with how or who or what I am within myself.

That would take some unravelling I fear.

Quote:
If they believe (as the media would have us believe) that a man is only interested in someone who looks like Marilyn Monroe- what's a normal, average girl gonna do?

She could try looking like Ms Monroe did and if she can't manage it she has to settle for a husband who can't manage what Ms Monroe's blokes could. At least Liz Taylor did give one truck driver a shot at it. I think he was about No8.

Quote:
I think having realistic expectations, for ourselves and others of the opposite sex would make everyone so much happier in the long run, don't you?

I strongly agree.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 03:13 pm
Quote:
An English description of a slob is somebody who doesn't bother taking the pots out of the sink before he takes a leak into it. I suppose that would meet your approval ot,at the least,not merit your disapproval.

That's disgusting. You should speak for yourself. I've been in plenty of English homes and I'd highly doubt any activity like that is taking place. Maybe if some guy was living by himself or something (ahem). I bet you brush your teeth and spit in the shower too.

Quote:
Last week I got my eye onto one not knowing she was a lesbian and her friend came over and challenged me like a bloke would have done.

That's funny. I'll try not to laugh too hard because I'm sure it was disappointing to you - but I can't help giggling - sorry.
You know, you should write a book about all your "experiences" in the pub. You're good at writing comedy.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 03:35 pm
You have to realise Rebecca that it is me finding the incidents in my experience funny that allows my descriptions of them to be amusing. It is the main strand in English humour. Most of the people who took a part in the incidents didn't find them funny at the time.

Rider Haggard has Quatermain's son say, when he's about to risk his life in quest of money,-"Don't worry Father-there's plenty more where I came from".

Things like that do tend to dilute a sense of the tragic. Not entirely but,let's say, place it in proportion. When a sense of the tragic is highly developed it can be dangerous.

A smarty pants lady in the pub once asked me in front of witnesses what size my shoes were. I twigged it so I said 16s.An answer she wasn't expecting. Anyway-she quickly recovered and inanely said "They don't look that big." So I said that it was an optical illusion. "What do you mean? she said. Well I said-everything seems smaller than what it is to a woman with a big gob. I got the biggest laugh of the year.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:49 pm
Quote:

A smarty pants lady in the pub once asked me in front of witnesses what size my shoes were. I twigged it so I said 16s.An answer she wasn't expecting. Anyway-she quickly recovered and inanely said "They don't look that big." So I said that it was an optical illusion. "What do you mean? she said. Well I said-everything seems smaller than what it is to a woman with a big gob. I got the biggest laugh of the year.

Now that was harsh Spendius. Maybe she just really wondered what size your shoes were. Maybe she had an extra pair of Wellies she thought you could use for working out in your garden. You guys - always thinking it's always about something else.

Sorry, but I just have to continue this thought. Do you really believe that a woman would ask a strange man she didn't know, "What size are your shoes" making reference to the size of any other part of his anatomy? ( I edited this three times because I couldn't get comfortable with the thought of mentioning unmentionables).

That's why it's hard for me to believe a woman would feel okay about doing that to a stranger. Maybe you misinterpreted her question. I know that when I see men, boys, women, girls or anyone else with unusually big or small feet - I might say, "Wow, you have huge/tiny feet! What size are they?" And I really am only interested in the direct question I'm asking.
Don't you think that could be the case with this woman?

PS. I pictured you as a city guy - that's why I thought you might have worked an allotment. You had a greenhouse? I'm jealous.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 12:59 pm
aidan wrote-

Quote:
Sorry, but I just have to continue this thought. Do you really believe that a woman would ask a strange man she didn't know, "What size are your shoes" making reference to the size of any other part of his anatomy? ( I edited this three times because I couldn't get comfortable with the thought of mentioning unmentionables).

We knew each other alright. She was the landlady of the pub. I knew what she was up to. About half-an-hour later she tried it on another bloke and he fell for it the silly sap. Actually I like her. She's very common,very stupid and very forward. As you can imagine she has led quite an eventful life in which sobbing has played a part. She's moved in now with a freshly divorced chap with a good job who I advised to keep her at arm's length but these women exert a power over weak men don't they?
She's not the landlady now though. She got sacked when she ran off with a big guy but it only lasted about six weeks. You should see her yawn. It's horrible. Similar to a camel.

There is no question what she was up to. It was trying to make me look daft.

Quote:
I pictured you as a city guy

Cripes! I hate cities. I hate towns. I grew up on a 3000 acre private estate with woods,parkland,lakes and a river. It teemed with wildlife and the only economic activities were growing exotic foodstuffs and breeding pheasants for the autumn shoot which were attended by quite a crew of actresses from London. I was almost feral.

The greenhouse was later. It was 30ft by 12 ft and grew some gorgeous bushes. It was great for reading and nodding off.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 03:19 pm
Fantasy Island
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 03:59 pm
Quote:
And she has led quite an eventful life in which sobbing has played a part.

Laughing Laughing (That means I laughed out loud). Because it reminded me that I knew a girl like that once. Every single party - we'd all start out having fun and by the end of the night - she'd be crying, sobbing, weeping - we never knew what to make of it. Except that we learned to keep her away from the alcohol. You know how some people get happy when they drink? Well, she just got really, really sad. The guys would just kind of head in another direction, and even us girls would just kind of end up looking on sort of perplexed, trying to figure it all out, not knowing what to do to help her out. I wonder what ever happened to her.

Quote:
She's moved in now with a freshly divorced chap with a good job who I advised to keep her at arm's length but these women exert a power over weak men don't they?

Some people just can't resist a "project". You can't blame that on the "project" though.

Quote:
She's not the landlady now though. She got sacked when she ran off with a big guy but it only lasted about six weeks. You should see her yawn. It's horrible. Similar to a camel.

No comment. (That's just kind of disrespectful and mean and I don't even know the woman so I refuse to participate in her humiliation on this forum).

Quote:
There is no question what she was up to. It was trying to make me look daft.

Do you really need anyone else to help you do that? (That's a joke- ha ha, so don't get all mad at me).

Quote:
Cripes! I hate cities. I hate towns. I grew up on a 3000 acre private estate with woods,parkland,lakes and a river. It teemed with wildlife and the only economic activities were growing exotic foodstuffs and breeding pheasants for the autumn shoot which were attended by quite a crew of actresses from London. I was almost feral.

Aren't you lucky? So what happened? What changed? Where's all that feral-ity now?

Hey Mathos- Fantasy Island you say? What exactly do you mean by that?

I went to a delightful poetry reading tonight. I'll tell you about it sometime. Lots of differing levels and types of talents and really very inspiring. Have you ever gone to one?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 05:53 pm
Yes-I did once. I got invited and one does have to respect invitations.

I took my guitar and sang them my Happy Landings song. One bloke applauded enthusiastically and the rest sat dumbfounded. I was in a relationship at the time with a doyen of the anti-intellectualism school of philosophy. She hadn't read Hofstadter,or even heard of him, but she had arrived at a similar conclusion hopefully by a different route.
0 Replies