Sheep - a poem in one sentence

aidan

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 03:13 pm
Mathos - You want to know something funny? I'm reading your first two sentences and I say to myself - "What does the word "quotinitis" mean? (I'm pronouncing it with a short o). I ask my son - "Do you know what "quotinitis" means" - I figure he might know because he's pretty smart. He says, "That's not a word." So then I look it up in the dictionary. It's not there. So then he asks, "What's the context?" I read him the sentence. He says, "Oh quotinitis - with a long o- must have something to do with quoting sickness - itis means sickness or disease."

It finally dawned on me what the heck you were talking about. How's that for educational prowess? I got a good laugh out of it though - so did he.

Thank you for being delighted for and proud of me. I am too! I got a medal that I have hanging on my doorknob and lots of blisters to remind me of my achievement. It was great though. I'm already planning on doing it again next year.

I won't dignify the fact that you fail to see how giving birth is worthy of a fuss with a comment.

Stop talking about Spendius when he's not around to defend himself. I hate that behavior. One might think that you're the one who's dangerous- dangerously obsessed with Spendius and his past-times (or lack of what you might consider to be appropriate ones).

Actually, I've always felt kind of sorry for Norman Bates. Not excusing his violent tendencies at all - but I always think if circumstances had been different, he might also have reacted differently. Don't you think that's often the case?

Actually, I was reading something that spoke to the theory that celibacy is becoming more and more common, especially within our younger generation. People used to be pretty much able to be defined as heterosexual, bisexual and homosexual. Now they've added asexual as a recognizable and measurable category whose adherents seem to be growing in numbers. They attribute it to a lessening of appropriate socialization and increase in inappropriately early stimulation (since our society is inundated with sexually explicit media, in some cases it leads to a distinct lack of interest and desire), as well as gender confusion and actual fear of sex - now that it can lead to AIDS and death.
(Not that any of this applies to anyone on this forum. I would never be so presumptive to assume I knew anything about such a private and personal matter in anyone else's life but my own. You shouldn't either.)

I'm awful glad I came of age when I did. There are just way too many scary and confusing things to deal with these days.
Like, should you trust someone on the internet? You're probably right - probably not. Still, I hate to walk around looking for danger where it may not exist. There has to be a happy medium - don't you think?

PS- I invited you and Spendius to my house for dinner because I knew you'd say no. I've said time and time again, the only way I would meet anyone would be in a group at a public place. And I would bring a male friend along, just to be on the safe side. I'd never invite anyone I didn't know to my home - mostly because it would put my children at risk. I just would never do that. Don't worry about that.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 03:43 pm
I intended going out on my bicycle this morning (early) as I have put weight on since I came back from my trip. I opened the shed door to get my bicycle out and a tramp was asleep on one of the garden recliners. It made a very interesting start to the day. I'll tell you about it another time.

The idiosyncrasy of talking about the oaf is more than quite apparent it shouts like a demented chimp with a mouthful of red hot chilly peppers.

Merely a bagatelle, I know.

However, you are guilty of anguine methods in accusing me of laggarding over the sapper!

Let us agree to leave the anchoret to his own devices of grime and misery.

Now Young Lady,

Did you see the 'rose dress' Sarah Ladrook exhibited at the Westminster cat walk yesterday? That was an eye catching number if ever I saw one. The model showing it off looked sensational. I wouldn't mind her mobile number.

Simply as a matter of interest on a personal basis, what made you decide on relocating to England?

How can you feel sorry for Norman Bates?

Everybody can blame circumstances, its what you do or don't do that matters. Every Tom Dick and Harry sticking knives in schoolmates, teachers, policemen and women is moaning about circumstances and the fact he didn't have a teddy bear to play with, when he was a kid.

If celibacy is becoming more common then perhaps that is the answer, I would suggest a posthumous award for Alfred Hitchcock then, it should have been sorted out years ago. Throw the celibates to the lions on a Friday afternoon and just watch those arena 's fill up with punters.

Things are not much different now than they ever were. Media concentration on several news channels alone gives them more time to fill your head with every street corner crime, which is then picked up on by the newspaper lads and further glorified.

I rather think a mature person could suss out all he/she needed to regarding an internet acquaintance. It's the kids I worry about, they can be so easily led and these pillocks are professional in their approach.

More lion fodder.

The tramp.... He was quite startled and I calmed him down ,he was in his mid fifties I would have thought, extremely dirty, feeble looking and boy did he smell.

Come on 'old lad' I said, 'lets get you cleaned up and a good breakfast down you.'

He was still very nervous and acted like he was going to run, he had a bundle of rags with him and a very old shoulder bad, which was bulging with whatever. I have an outside building with toilet, sink and shower , which I use when I have got really dirty in the garden. I told him to take a shower and I would fetch him a change of clothes. I gave him a bin bag to put his old stuff in. I brought him an adidas track suit down, new pair of socks, shorts, and about six T shirts I was not concerned about parting with and a pair of trainers which happened to be the right size he told me.. After about 25 minutes he emerged looking better.

My wife rustled him up a typical English breakfast, and he sat at the bar b Q table, he cleared the plate and four rounds of buttered toast. A large pot of tea and a glass of orange juice. He spoke quite well and informed me his wife had passed away seven years since and he had sold his house banked the cash and originally set off travelling, using trains, buses, and staying all over the country at bed and breakfast outlets.

Then he simply decided to walk everywhere and slept were he could. I asked him if I could contact anyone on his behalf etc. He said 'No'

He left about 9.30 am very pleased with the clothes and footwear, my wife made him some sandwiches in a fancy plastic box and she gave him £10..00.

He must be one of thousands and no doubt he will pass away one cold winters night in a garden shed or farmers barn, a hostel or hospital if he is really lucky.

The man had no complaints, in fact he seemed quite happy.

I went to clean the washroom it was spotless, the bin bag had gone, along with the towel and the hand soap and shampoo, it made me smile to myself.. Good on ya mate I thought.

Night Aidan.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 10:12 pm
Mathos - you've forced me to go back to quotes for this one. You have so many interesting comments and themes going on here. I don't want to neglect responding to any of them.

Quote:
The idiosyncrasy of talking about the oaf is more than quite apparent it shouts like a demented chimp with a mouthful of red hot chilly peppers

Spendius would be proud of you - definitely not a cliche. I'd feel better about it (talking about the person) if it was kept positive and productive in some way. You're always very negative when you speak about him, which is a glaring departure from your usually good-humored approach to most other issues and/or people. I don't see how that can be productive at all.

Quote:
Merely a bagatelle, I know.

What (or whom) are you referring to as the bagatelle here? The actual person - or the fact that you enjoy talking about him? I don't find either one inconsequential. Actually, I find both interesting on one level or another.

Quote:
However, you are guilty of anguine methods in accusing me of laggarding over the sapper!

No, I'm not. I always put pretty much what I mean right out there. Sometimes I think I should actually try to be sneakier.

Quote:
Let us agree to leave the anchoret to his own devices of grime and misery.

I knew he was training for a religious order!

Quote:
Did you see the 'rose dress' Sarah Ladrook exhibited at the Westminster cat walk yesterday? That was an eye catching number if ever I saw one. The model showing it off looked sensational. I wouldn't mind her mobile number.

No. Don't forget that you're married Mathos.

Quote:
Simply as a matter of interest on a personal basis, what made you decide on relocating to England?

I've told you this way too many times to go over it again. Circumstances arose - and the I decided it was something I wanted to do. That should suffice.

Quote:
How can you feel sorry for Norman Bates?

Would you want to switch places with him? That's how I usually decide who I feel sorry for. If it's extremely clear to me that I would never have wanted to be in a person's shoes - not even for a minute - I end up feeling sorry for him or her.
This doesn't however mean I excuse whatever they choose to do to express their anger, sadness, sickness or whatever emotional baggage they then decide to unleash on the world in the form of violence against another person.

Quote:
Everybody can blame circumstances, its what you do or don't do that matters. Every Tom Dick and Harry sticking knives in schoolmates, teachers, policemen and women is moaning about circumstances and the fact he didn't have a teddy bear to play with, when he was a kid.

Exactly! The people who amaze me are the ones who live through hell and overcome it. I know a few. My mother is someone like that who inspires me every single day. She grew up with nothing and noone and so much sadness to boot - and she's the most loving, happy, optimistic, caring and giving person I know. So it is hard to understand why there are those who sink down into it and those who are able to pull themselves up out of it. What's the crucial difference? I've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's a mere matter of personality and inborn traits and characteristics, so I still have a hard time judging others - because I don't know which type of person I'd be if faced with some of the adversity people are faced with.

Quote:
If celibacy is becoming more common then perhaps that is the answer, I would suggest a posthumous award for Alfred Hitchcock then, it should have been sorted out years ago. Throw the celibates to the lions on a Friday afternoon and just watch those arena 's fill up with punters.

Answer to what?

Quote:
Things are not much different now than they ever were. Media concentration on several news channels alone gives them more time to fill your head with every street corner crime, which is then picked up on by the newspaper lads and further glorified.

People are different- so things are different. I think people, in general, are sadder. Especially children.

Quote:
I rather think a mature person could suss out all he/she needed to regarding an internet acquaintance.

I can't suss out anything about a person on the internet except what he or she believes about a particular topic that they might specifically address. That's it. And it's easy to be lulled into making assumptions about a lot of issues on very little fact. And then I remember it's only an assumption, and not anything I can possibly know to be fact. But I think some people forget to do this and get themselves into trouble and even danger.

Quote:
It's the kids I worry about, they can be so easily led and these pillocks are professional in their approach.

Yep.

Quote:
More lion fodder.

Which didn't used to be the case. See, here's another way in which the opportunity for violence against people (even it's not physical and merely purely emotional) exists today in a form that it never took before. Things are different than they used to be - and I don't believe it's just increased media coverage on negative events.

I liked your story about the man in your shed. You and your wife are good people Mathos (from what I can tell about you in the way you said you responded to and treated that man with caring and respect).

That English breakfast with tea and juice have inspired me. I'm waking up earlier and earlier these days. It gets light at 4:00 and the birds start singing, so I'm up by 4:30 most days. Gives me time to do stuff I usually wouldn't have time to do. Maybe I'll make a big fry-up with juice and tea. (That was my favorite part of your story- along with the track suit and the trainers).

Hope you have a lovely day. Hasn't the weather been incredible? It couldn't be more lovely here. How about where you are?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 02:05 pm
The cross is in the ball park! That you will understand and agree with I am sure.
The oaf is in the monastery. Lets leave him there and you put a hold on further anguine methods.

I know full well I am married Aidan, if you don't know when your married then you have a serious problem.

Is there some law or moral onus on me to avoid a pretty female?

Girls were made to love and kiss, who am I to interfere with this?

Well Zimmerman said something like:

I wish that for just one day, you could stand inside my shoes.

One of the problems we have to experience as being a simple worker ant in this mass of deception and 'lets try this out on them' scenarios, is we have no idea, no idea at all, as to exactly what they are putting in the milk or water. They keep it all hid. They have to.

The bagatelle has to be the person. Your contradicting yourself with every third paragraph..

Right, bang on, we all have problems from the cradle to the grave, some worse than others. I have seen people who have lives and a standard of living which most if not all in the western world especially could not imagine. They have no idea what a light switch is or a tap. They don't go around committing heinous crimes for fun though.

How much do you spend on fancy make up in a year?

Don't get me wrong with that question, I like a woman with warpaint on, it looks good if correctly applied.

The answer to celibacy, feed the celibates to the lions. A fairly fast and entertaining way out, I would have thought.

The weather has been superb this week and a good forecast for the next few days.

Sawadeka Aidan
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 03:20 pm
I have no idea what "the cross is in the ballpark means," so I don't understand and can't tell you whether I agree with it or not.

I guess as a married man, I'd expect that you wouldn't go around asking women for their mobile phone numbers. But that's just my interpretation of one of the general tenants of marriage. You and your wife may have a different arrangement that you find works for you both. And that's fine and frankly none of my business. I shouldn't have said anything - sorry.

I don't spend very much on make-up at all. I only wear a little mascara and lip gloss on a day to day basis. If I'm going out at night, I might add some eye shadow for a more dramatic effect, but I have a lot of color in my skin naturally, so I don't tend to use things like foundation and blush or powder very often. I'm basically pretty low maitenance on the make-up. I don't like the way it feels on my skin to tell you the truth. Same with nail polish on my fingernails-if I use any at all - I use clear. You're funny with your interest in fashion and make-up. Have you ever thought of making that your career? I've heard that a good make-up artist can make a mint.

Why does celibacy need an answer? Why can't it just be someone's choice? What makes you think those who choose it are looking for a way out of anything? Maybe that's what they find fulfilling.

As for all the rest of your discourse tonight, I can't make head nor tails of it. And I think you're the one who's employing anguine methods. You're being silly again Mathos- but I think I know why. (You can't get much by me).

So I'll be silly too. I had a pretty good day. My feet are feeling better. I might even be able to start taking walks again tomorrow. I thought I was going to lose one of my big toe nails - I walked down hill so much the other day that it kept banging against the toe of my boot - and goodness it was sore. But I think I've turned the corner on that little problem and the pain is almost all gone- on top of which it looks like I'll get to keep my toe nail. Can't ask for more than that.
I finished my book - it was really good. A friend of mine is coming from the states to visit tomorrow. She was my room-mate in college, and I love her dearly. So I'm feeling happy and psyched anyway - and now you tell me the forecast is for more good weather. Alright!

Sawadeka to you too Mathos. Good night (just in case that doesn't mean good night). What does it mean, by the way?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 01:27 pm
OK Aidan, like your a four year old.

Visit any number of churches you want this sunday, stagger the times.

Not much worshiping going on, is there?

Get yourself a ticket for the first home game at Old Trafford next season (if you can.)

The cross is in the ball park. All seventy four thousand plus at one game to worship.

No you shouldn't have said anything at all, jumping to conclusions is for idiots. Couple idiocy with an anguine temperament and you automatically become venomous. That is no way for a lady to behave. Is it?

I left good comment on your walk, you deserved good comment, however if your looking for more praises with tales of damaged feet and toe nails it won't come to you. Every body who accomplishes such a trek especially up and down hill is going to suffer. Until you learn to take the correct precautions like the real walkers do. Its no good fishing for more compliments like a demented woman with twisted knickers rubbing her up the wrong way.

The eye shadow for 'dramatic effect' as I said previously, 'Your a Drama Queen'

I don't see anything funny in my being interested in how women look. It is extremely important to me exactly how women look. I find the subject quite fascinating actually, evolved apes with mascara, eye shadow, lipstick, gloss, blushers, powder and don't forget the fancy scent. If my wife is purchasing special attire, I always go with her, she goes to those fancy stores, it amuses me how the owner of the boutique is usually a male dressed up like a dogs dinner and he has two immaculately dressed, well made up and presented ladies doing the fetching and carrying. I normally sit down and read the newspaper, do the crossword or whatever, the newspaper will either be The Times or Telegraph. Then one of these classy ladies will come over to me with coffee and biscuits, even scones. I watch all the habits of staff and customers accordingly. The different aromas of scent and the price, don't forget the price. The Mister Teezy Weezy guy walks across to me every time my wife parades in front of the mirror, "This certainly suits your beautiful wife Sir," he will say. "What do you think?" I say, "She looks great, but she looks great in jeans and a t-shirt too. This coffee and biscuits of yours sure costs a packet."

Haven't you noticed how much you have improved in the walking sphere also?

I left your comments re; British Citizenship and your American birthright for a while, expecting one of your fellow Americans to blast you for banjaxing your own people. I would think that nature alone implants a special and indissoluble attraction to that country to which you owe your birth and infant nurture.

It is somewhat akin to being a traitor you know.

I trust you are enjoying the visit from your American friend, is it her first trip to the UK?

Sawadeka.. Hello or goodbye..

I hurt my back today by foolishly carrying two railway sleepers (one at a time of course) up twenty odd steps. If I had waited until this evening I could have phoned one of my son in laws to help me. So now I am in pain through being foolish. No good asking anybody for sympathy at all. They would think of me as mad.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 06:21 pm
Quote:
The cross is in the ball park. All seventy four thousand plus at one game to worship.

It finally dawned on me when I saw the St. George's cross on a flag at a petrol station. "The cross is in the ball park". But Mathos - you have to remember that you're talking to an American. And a baseball loving American at that. When I think of the ball park - I think of a baseball diamond. So I had no idea what a cross would be doing there. But now I get it. This cross cultural stuff can be very confusing sometimes. You have to be patient with me. I'm not being deliberately obtuse (at least not most of the time).

Quote:
No you shouldn't have said anything at all, jumping to conclusions is for idiots. Couple idiocy with an anguine temperament and you automatically become venomous. That is no way for a lady to behave. Is it?

I wasn't being venomous. I sincerely believe that it is none of my business and I shouldn't have said anything. I truly have no judgement to make about anyone else's marital practices. If it's not my problem - it's none of my business. I can accept that there are all sorts of different marital arrangements that work well for various people - truly.

Laughing (Oops - I did something weird and erased your quote about me whining about my toe nails like a demented women who's knickers are twisted or something). Anyway - I laughed at that. I just wrote that whole thing because I thought it was a kind of disgusting juxtaposition to the make-up story. You'll be happy to know though that my toes are totally better and I can walk normally again. I was properly prepared - my socks were just too thick, I think. Next year, I'm wearing thinner socks.

Quote:
The eye shadow for 'dramatic effect' as I said previously, 'Your a Drama Queen'
Sometimes.

Quote:
I don't see anything funny in my being interested in how women look. It is extremely important to me exactly how women look. I find the subject quite fascinating actually, evolved apes with mascara, eye shadow, lipstick, gloss, blushers, powder and don't forget the fancy scent. If my wife is purchasing special attire, I always go with her, she goes to those fancy stores, it amuses me how the owner of the boutique is usually a male dressed up like a dogs dinner and he has two immaculately dressed, well made up and presented ladies doing the fetching and carrying. I normally sit down and read the newspaper, do the crossword or whatever, the newspaper will either be The Times or Telegraph. Then one of these classy ladies will come over to me with coffee and biscuits, even scones. I watch all the habits of staff and customers accordingly. The different aromas of scent and the price, don't forget the price. The Mister Teezy Weezy guy walks across to me every time my wife parades in front of the mirror, "This certainly suits your beautiful wife Sir," he will say. "What do you think?" I say, "She looks great, but she looks great in jeans and a t-shirt too. This coffee and biscuits of yours sure costs a packet."

You guys must go to fancy stores. I do most of my shopping in charity shops. You can get the best deals. I mean really, really quality stuff for very little money. I got a really nice black leather jacket for ten pounds. Would you ever wear second-hand clothing Mathos?

Quote:
Haven't you noticed how much you have improved in the walking sphere also?

Yes, I think I've gotten a lot tougher over all and in a lot of ways in the last year or so.

Quote:
I left your comments re; British Citizenship and your American birthright for a while, expecting one of your fellow Americans to blast you for banjaxing your own people. I would think that nature alone implants a special and indissoluble attraction to that country to which you owe your birth and infant nurture.

I think that natural attraction to my own country is missing in me. I've never been particularly patriotic. I love parts of the land in America - there are places I go there that feel like my spirit's home- but in general- I'm not really proud of what America as a nation stands for in the world as a whole. And I feel like a real fish out of water in Texas - which is where I was born. I can't explain it. I've always just gravitated to interesting differences instead of familiar and comfortable samenesses.

Quote:
It is somewhat akin to being a traitor you know.

Yeah, I know some people think that. My father is very patriotic and he finds it incredibly irritating that I'm not. He thinks I'm ungrateful and that I don't recognize how lucky I am to have been born in what he calls the "greatest country in the world." While I understand that as an American I've been able to take for granted a wonderful standard of living, especially when compared to most other places in the world, it's exactly that attitude (that what he believes is the best is indeed the best because it's all that he knows and what he believes) that drives me crazy. But most people do it I think. They believe that their way is the best way - despite the fact that people all over the world would beg to differ. I think there are other ways of life that are just as wonderful and viable, though very different. I'm not blinded by nationalism. In fact, I think nationalism and patriotism can turn nasty and dangerous fairly quickly. And I don't think it's traiterous to admit that you prefer one way of life to another. I can't help it. I like sticky toffee pudding better than apple pie. Does that make me a traitor? I don't think so.

Quote:
I trust you are enjoying the visit from your American friend, is it her first trip to the UK?
No she spent a semester in college living on a farm in Devon, so she's familiar with the UK - though she hasn't been here in a good while. We're going back to visit the village she lived in so she can see how things have changed. I'm interested to see it, because I can remember her letters and how much she loved it and how excited she was to be there (this was over twenty years ago).

Quote:
I hurt my back today by foolishly carrying two railway sleepers (one at a time of course) up twenty odd steps. If I had waited until this evening I could have phoned one of my son in laws to help me. So now I am in pain through being foolish. No good asking anybody for sympathy at all. They would think of me as mad.

You need to be careful with your back Mathos. A dicey back can plague you for life. But hey - now you have an excuse to lay around and watch all the games. I hope you enjoy them. There's something kind of nice about all the excitement, I have to admit. But who should I pull for - America or England? Does Landon Donovan still play? I always kind of liked his style. And Kobi Jones. I used to like his hair. I hear Wayne Rooney's foot is on the mend- and he might even get to play some. I hope it all turns out the way you want it to (I'm being sincere- I really don't have a dog in this race).

Sawadeka.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 04:50 pm
Not quite Aidan, it has as much to do with the English Flag or your land of infant nurture and birth as it has to do with Abbot & Costello, Mike & Bernie Winters, Laurel and Hardy or Mother Theresa. One no longer sees the church pews occupied, (in the mid west they might) but all the ball parks are places of worship. The Cross is in the ball park.

You accept certain marriages have arrangements then?

Wow, this I would like to hear about, did you want to tell me that your marriage or marriages had special arrangements? What about wife swapping parties, did you ever attend any? I know of people who have, it always seems to end with a parting of the ways or megga problems. I think its much safer just collecting phone numbers. But please feel free to fire away with your confessions I am all ears..

The early years of my childhood were extremely hard years for my parents as for all other working class families especially after the war. I was well accustomed to hand me downs. I recall having my first brand new blazer though when I was eleven.

Now I only buy the best, the very best, considering I spent my life working for it, my wife takes the same view, she was ten when she got her first new dress and brown sandals.

The charity scene can be a bit iffy as well, We give clothes accordingly, I can guarantee who will be wearing one of my suits though. I don't like donating to charities with high operating costs and seeing fees going on fancy travel and accommodation.

Your black leather jacket for £10..00? You could go to the Jews market on a Sunday morning in Manchester and buy a new one for another fiver. If circumstance proved a requirement I would have no difficulty in taking clothes off a dead body to keep myself alive.
What are you going to do with the jacket when you tire of it?
Just a point of interest, do you buy your off-spring second hand clothes?

The walking bit, I meant as well evolved apes, you know its a good improvement.

Not patriotic, may I enquire do you have communistic tendencies. It is strange that you should feel so alienated from The United States, your country of birth. Texas isn't so bad, I spent some time in Plano and Dallas many years ago. Nice climate, clean city, nice shopping facilities, people I met all came across as being nice and amicable. Whats your problem with Texas young lady? There was one if I remember correctly though,
Dean Arnold Coril, aka 'The Candy Man' he was naughty.

You do have a tendency to be a bit of a Janus, you can't have everything your own way Aidan.

Your showing signs of being alarmed and possessing an anti-American foreign policy. Fine, your entitled to think any way you wish or have been brain washed into doing, but your government has a hell of a job on keeping you all in the lifestyle you have. Take Manhattan as an example, have you any idea how many people live there, need to unload there, eat and drink there, be entertained there, keep hot or cold there, drive there? You should be proud they make it possible, it is no easy task. You state there are other ways of life just as good, well you need to tell all of us how to find the location, we can all jump on the gravy train then. How you opt to compare your non patriotism with 'sticky toffee pudding and apple pie,' I have no idea. It makes no sense whatsoever.

As for Landon Donovan and Kobi Jones, I do not recognise the names. There is football and there is football. Check therm out if you wish they may have been players. I have a cup winners medal inscribed to my grandad on my late mothers side. He played for Witton Albion, the team is still going as well.

My back, no longer a problem, I bollocked it good style last night and splashed some horse liniment on. My wife played hell with me, it smells awful she said as I climbed into bed. So what I thought, it will be better in the morning and it was. Then just to rub it in she changed the sheets again, new sheets two days running, whatever next, an au pair would be alright I suppose, plenty of room. I'll ask her next week.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 10 Jun, 2006 05:59 pm
Quote:
Not quite Aidan, it has as much to do with the English Flag or your land of infant nurture and birth as it has to do with Abbot & Costello, Mike & Bernie Winters, Laurel and Hardy or Mother Theresa. One no longer sees the church pews occupied, (in the mid west they might) but all the ball parks are places of worship. The Cross is in the ball park.

Whatever Mathos.

Quote:
You accept certain marriages have arrangements then?

Yes.

Quote:
Wow, this I would like to hear about, did you want to tell me that your marriage or marriages had special arrangements? What about wife swapping parties, did you ever attend any? I know of people who have, it always seems to end with a parting of the ways or megga problems. I think its much safer just collecting phone numbers. But please feel free to fire away with your confessions I am all ears..

That's really none of your flipping business- all the same I'll tell you that the answer is no. Not my scene- although I have lived places where I've been aware that it's been an option, and I am able to accept that it might be someone else's method of choice of obtaining spice and variety in his or her life- even if it's not something I would ever do. It's more common than you might think. I have only had one marriage - and have no confessions to make to anyone. I've behaved admirably by my own standards, and probably by anyone else's. I couldn't look myself in the mirror otherwise. So put your tired little assumptions to rest - they don't apply to me.

Quote:
The early years of my childhood were extremely hard years for my parents as for all other working class families especially after the war. I was well accustomed to hand me downs. I recall having my first brand new blazer though when I was eleven.

Good for you. (I realize this sounds harsh- I was responding to your mean little post with meanness of my own. On second thought though - I've decided to edit it to let you know I know it sounds harsh- but I think you deserve it. I normally would never respond to something like this with such a flip answer. Just so you know...)

Quote:
What are you going to do with the jacket when you tire of it?
Just a point of interest, do you buy your off-spring second hand clothes?
You're being offensive- I decided not to repeat the part of your quote that really startled me with its offensive connotation- and I don't think you honestly want to know the answers to these questions..so I don't feel compelled to answer.

Quote:
The walking bit, I meant as well evolved apes, you know its a good improvement.
Again, whatever.

Quote:
Not patriotic, may I enquire do you have communistic tendencies. It is strange that you should feel so alienated from The United States, your country of birth. Texas isn't so bad, I spent some time in Plano and Dallas many years ago. Nice climate, clean city, nice shopping facilities, people I met all came across as being nice and amicable. Whats your problem with Texas young lady? There was one if I remember correctly though,
Dean Arnold Coril, aka 'The Candy Man' he was naughty.

Nice climate? Yeah right - it's too damn hot for a good portion of the year and you know it. It's the state that produced the men who dragged a black man to death chained to the back of their pick up truck, and George Bush the younger and various other anomalies. It's where I first heard out and out utter racism openly expressed - and I will never forget how confusing and depressing I found that - to hear people I was supposed to love expressing sentiments that I instinctively knew were evil and wrong against entire races of people- and I knew this even though I was probably at most five years old.
I'll never forget it - or regret the fact that my father was transferred to the New York office and I grew up in New Jersey immersed in absolute diversity and a totally different mind set. I know - without a doubt - it changed my life and who I became, and only for the better.

Quote:
You do have a tendency to be a bit of a Janus, you can't have everything your own way Aidan.

Why not? (I'm being facetious. I know I can't have everything my own way. But I'm going to have to look up Janus to see what he was about.)

Quote:
Your showing signs of being alarmed and possessing an anti-American foreign policy. Fine, your entitled to think any way you wish or have been brain washed into doing, but your government has a hell of a job on keeping you all in the lifestyle you have. Take Manhattan as an example, have you any idea how many people live there, need to unload there, eat and drink there, be entertained there, keep hot or cold there, drive there? You should be proud they make it possible, it is no easy task. You state there are other ways of life just as good, well you need to tell all of us how to find the location, we can all jump on the gravy train then. How you opt to compare your non patriotism with 'sticky toffee pudding and apple pie,' I have no idea. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I guess that's your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it.

Quote:
As for Landon Donovan and Kobi Jones, I do not recognise the names. There is football and there is football. Check therm out if you wish they may have been players. I have a cup winners medal inscribed to my grandad on my late mothers side. He played for Witton Albion, the team is still going as well.

Okay.

Quote:
My back, no longer a problem, I bollocked it good style last night and splashed some horse liniment on. My wife played hell with me, it smells awful she said as I climbed into bed. So what I thought, it will be better in the morning and it was. Then just to rub it in she changed the sheets

Don't you love crisp, clean sheets? There's almost nothing better - except sticky toffee pudding.

Quote:
again, new sheets two days running,

Live it up Mathos.

Quote:
whatever next, an au pair would be alright I suppose, plenty of room. I'll ask her next week.

Good idea - sometimes the smallest change can make the biggest difference. Maybe an au pair is the answer to all your problems- you'll never know unless you spring for one and see.

I saw England won today. I was happy. I was in the charity shop where I bought a dress for 3.29, and the two little old ladies were absolutely ecstatic that England was one-nil. My dress, (since you're so interested in fashion) is black with white polka dots and a classic cut - I love it. My daughter saw it and said - "Mom, that's for you." When she was little I had a nice little navy blue dress with white polka dots and she still remembers how much I loved it and wore it all the time. That means a lot to a child. So I bought it - and now we're both happy and basking in the memories. That's what it's all about.

Why are you being so nasty? Your team won. I'd have thought you'd be over the moon. Take your bitterness out on someone else Mr. Mathos. I'm in too good a mood to let you bring me down. Have a good night - in spite of yourself (at least you have clean sheets).

I, by the way, in case you are at all interested, had a nice day and a pretty fun night. This is where you could ask me what I did. But don't worry - I won't be holding my breath...
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 08:33 am
You are being a supercilious termagant here Aidan. You were in prior posts, exposing a self opinionated superiority complex which needed to be curtailed.

There was no need for your misgivings, no need at all, however the same gave me an obligation to fire your own mis-givings back at you and you don't like it one iota.

I'm not looking for an award for arm wrestling with a woman either, so if you wish to converse with me further, simply keep it contained to common sense and don't even attempt to use me as your whipping block young lady.

I merely gave you the option of light discussion following your being marooned, I considered I was responsible in a little way. Nothing more was ever a consideration.

Your also blaming the past for all your problems, instead of getting on with life. Ever sat down Christmas day with a can of beans and a piece of bread that was just about passable for human consumption if it was toasted heavily? I doubt it, so we can drop the competition about whats what and you can behave yourself.

I rather think every sane minded person is aware of the levels of discrimination in the world today let alone the past. Your not an isolated case, I have more concern about this trait than you will ever know.
There is no present answer either, we may refer to it as part of our evolution which needs sorting out sooner, rather than later. As I have said before, it is no easy task keeping us lot satisfied and living in comparative harmony.

You have had your tantrum, I have no pleasure in taming the shrew so to speak, but you needed a rap on the knuckles.

The balls in your court Aidan, I don't make conditional demands at all, but I expect respect if we are in discussion of a normal nature.

The threads are after all for entertainment and pleasure not for World War Three, that will come around soon enough in any event.

So tell me about your nice day and fun evening. :wink:
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 03:55 am
Quote:
You are being a supercilious termagant here Aidan. You were in prior posts, exposing a self opinionated superiority complex which needed to be curtailed.

I know I can sound that way. It's the way I write. I'm not really that way in real life - not at all - you'd be so surprised. Most people think I'm the most down- to earth and kindest person. Little kids and old people just love me. In fact the other day I was just standing on the street with a million other people and this little old lady came up to me out of all those people to ask for help across the street. She was 84 years old and had begun losing her eyesight to macular degeneration.
Anyway - sorry about that Mathos.

Quote:
There was no need for your misgivings, no need at all, however the same gave me an obligation to fire your own mis-givings back at you and you don't like it one iota.

I don't know what you're referring to here.

Quote:
I'm not looking for an award for arm wrestling with a woman either, so if you wish to converse with me further, simply keep it contained to common sense and don't even attempt to use me as your whipping block young lady.

Okay - sorry. I was just a little tipsy and had had a lot of fun and then your post was so negative and nasty- it felt like you were trying to bring me down. If I was inappropriate in my response - I apologize.

Quote:
I merely gave you the option of light discussion following your being marooned, I considered I was responsible in a little way. Nothing more was ever a consideration.

And you are nothing if not considerate, Mathos. I do realize that and appreciate it.

Quote:
Your also blaming the past for all your problems, instead of getting on with life. Ever sat down Christmas day with a can of beans and a piece of bread that was just about passable for human consumption if it was toasted heavily? I doubt it, so we can drop the competition about whats what and you can behave yourself.

My only problem right now is finding a place to live (the barn conversion guy wants to keep it on the market while we live there and only give me a 3 month lease - no way). If I told you about the place I"m looking at now - you'd go back to accusing me of all that posh bull **** again -or was that Spendius? Anyway, I'm afraid to tell you about it - suffice to say it's lovely - but way out in the boonies - which I love - except that I'd spend my life in the car ferrying kids around. I'll let you know what transpires one way or the other.

Seriously - there is no competition on my part about who's suffered more. I feel lucky and blessed in my life. And I don't take any of it for granted.

Quote:
I rather think every sane minded person is aware of the levels of discrimination in the world today let alone the past. Your not an isolated case, I have more concern about this trait than you will ever know.
There is no present answer either, we may refer to it as part of our evolution which needs sorting out sooner, rather than later. As I have said before, it is no easy task keeping us lot satisfied and living in comparative harmony.

I'd be interested to hear more of your thoughts and experiences in this arena.

Quote:
You have had your tantrum, I have no pleasure in taming the shrew so to speak, but you needed a rap on the knuckles.

The balls in your court Aidan, I don't make conditional demands at all, but I expect respect if we are in discussion of a normal nature.

Okay.

Quote:
So tell me about your nice day and fun evening. :wink:

What a nice way to end your post Mathos. I'll tell you about it some time.
but right now I've got to get my son to work and go try to find somewhere for us to live.

Sorry for the unpleasant tone of my prior post - and I apologize if I misinterpreted yours. Have a nice day Mathos. (Did you guys get a thunder storm last night? It was wild here- but now the sun's out and it's much more pleasantly cool today).
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 01:27 pm
Its nice to know you helped the little senior citizen, there are far too many today who never give assistance to those who need it. Which street corner were you on that attracted a million other people?

Sorry isn't a requirement Aidan, you know better than that.

I have never accused you of posh bull **** either, it is reckless you know not knowing exactly who you have said what, why and where to. Posh bull ****, no such thing in my book. Anything earned legit. and spent as he/she wants to regardless of consequences is up to the individual in my book. It isn't really ours anyhow, just something we can earn, win, or otherwise obtain, simply to keep us happy and not starting revolutions. They own everything though, you come with nothing and you leave with nothing, everybody knows that. Even the big mansions, castles, country houses all go back to the government at the end of the day.

The self employed tax dodgers and there are a few about, are usually spendthrifts, Friday and Saturday night out with the lads, and girls, meals, booze, entertainment, taxis, shows, entrance fees, cigarettes. Everything he took out the till on Friday afternoon is back in the Chancellors pocket for start of business on Monday morning. Don't hold back on telling me about your 'magic cottage' if you want it and its affordable to you, stuff what anybody thinks, 'Go Get It Girl.'

You should have the kids on push bikes, maybe not in winter, but spring, summer, autumn, it would be good for them in many, many different ways. Think about that, the pleasure from what you see in the countryside when cycling or walking is priceless. Con you imagine what it would be like to be able to fly silently about 20 feet above ground level on a mid-summers day?

I'll have to be in the right mood to talk to you about the discrimination, but it will come.

Sawadeka Aidan

PS You know.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 04:44 pm
As well as tending to sound supercilious and superior when I write, I also have a tendency to exaggerate. There weren't a million people - but quite a lot- it was a market day and sunny and beautiful - really bustling.

The funny thing is, the rent that's being asked for this house is not really expensive as compared to other places I've looked at. I'd venture to guess it's owned by an elderly person who maybe isn't aware of how much she could be getting, or else she has had to lower the rent because since it is out of town, she's having a hard time renting it. The owner lives in Saudi Arabia, apparently, but doesn't want to sell the place because it's been in her family for generations.
It's on an exquisite piece of land, centrally located within easy distance of two of the larger cities in the area, but on the edge of a small village so that it's still out in the country. It's an old stone house with mullioned windows, leaded glass and everything, but inside she's decorated with sort of a moorish or morroccan theme. I know that sounds kind of garish and hard to imagine, but on some strange leve it works and is really unique. I've never lived out in the country before - and have always wanted to. I've always lived in the suburbs, or in the middle of a small town or big city or little village - but never anywhere that I couldn't see my neighbors. This looks like it may be my chance. I've submitted my application. We'll see what happens.

The kids could maybe ride their bikes - but it's on a main road, though set back. I'll just have to see how busy the road actually gets and try it out myself to see what kind of a shoulder the road has before I make a decision on that. But the road is pretty straight - not a lot of blind curves like around here - so that's working in favor of the bike idea.

I often watch the hot air balloons and gliders and envy them the peace and silence they must experience up there so I know what you mean.

Have a good night Mathos.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 04:22 pm
It sounds a fantastic 'pad' except for the moorish theme, still decoration is a personal taste, you have to live in it. I hope you make out alright it could be perfect for you and your children.

I couldn't abide neighbours.

I have lived very rural now for 30 years, I mess about with engines, burn rubbish, play music, my grandsons were really noisy when they were younger, especially when I strung them up over the barbie by their ankles. :wink:

There is so much you can do as well, you are heavily restricted in a town garden and limited to a few birds. We have so many nesting around the gardens, its magic. My wife is like birdwoman, wood pigeons, robins, wrens, swallows, house martins, blue tits, blackbirds, song thrushes, woodpecker, crows. Then we get the rabbits, fox, and three daft ducks that keep landing on my pond. A feral cat has been coming for a year or more as well, I worry about him scaring the birds, so I feed him or her, can't get close enough to tell, even now. Comes at a regular time every day, and we even see him coming out of the dogs kennel (which is heated) in winter, the daft old dog, sleeps through it, or simply grants admission. I have not worked out which as yet.

Does it have a real fire? I personally think that has to be a must in a country place such as you describe. Nothing smells sweeter than old apple tree logs burning away on a cold winters evening. Makes gas and electric look sick. You can all learn a great deal from country living, it is so much different, plus the wildlife experiences, you cannot imagine how much pleasure is obtained from watching their antics, even the birds. When cat comes into the garden the swallows, who nest in the garage, come screaming around the door, so my wife will chase it off. Sounds crazy I know, but when you witness these things on a regular basis, you become aware of a great deal of intelligence.

Balloons and gliders are great, but I always have the desire to hover around the tree tops, it would be totally unique and very fulfilling.

It's habit forming as well and you become very involved with the general scene, plus the feeding them is fun, the robins will stand up to any size bird, real toughy's they are.

Take care Aidan.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 02:31 am
Hi Mathos - I loved your description of country life- especially your description of all the birds. My friend who was just here is a bird watcher. She used to get up at 5 or 6 in the morning on Saturdays to go out birdwatching with a group an elderly professor would take out when we were in college. I always thought that was quite an impressive show of motivation for a twenty year old who'd been partying the night before.

Anyway - she was teaching me to discern the difference in their songs, etc. as we have quite a lot of birds that visit our back garden where we live right now.

I find animal behavior fascinating as well. A month or two ago, I was walking across a field with my dog when I heard these thundering hoofbeats approaching. I looked behind me and a whole herd of cows (I don't know what kind- they were kind of sandy/russet color with white in their faces) running toward us. I had Pearl on the leash as there were quite a few rabbits around and she can't be trusted to stay with me when there are rabbits to chase- so I let it go and told her to run and I ran for the gate which luckily was close by. I looked back and Pearl was kind of sitting there, cowering, but snarling at the cows (there were probably about twenty) warning them off. I'm embarrassed to tell you that I was afraid to go back in, because there were calves (I hadn't seen them when I entered the field - I know better than to take a dog in a field with cows who have calves). So I stood at the gate and called her. Well her leash was snagged on something and she couldn't move. The cows gathered around her, sniffing her, nudging her head with their noses and at one point one even stood over her as if it was going to sit on her. Pearl just sat quietly and calmly looking at me. They had her entirely encircled. I just couldn't make myself go back in, because I had just read about a woman who had gotten kicked by a cow as she was walking. She only escaped because she had crawled under a bush and called her husband on the cell phone to send help. She had to be hospitalized.

So I walked down the lane and ran into a guy running up. I said, "I hate to interrupt your run, but would you perhaps be able to help me with something?" He said, "I'll certainly try." I asked him, "Are you afraid of cows?" He said, "No, not usually," and I explained the situation. He walked back up with me, calmly entered the field and untangled her leash. The cows just casually disbanded and Pearl ran to me. But the funny thing is, she didn't seem to be scared or excited at all- (she was just wearing her usual expression which looks like a smile and was not even breathing hard). It seemed as if she was just calmly waiting for what she knew would inevitably happen- she'd be freed somehow. And it was kind of fascinating to watch these two different species of animals communicating between themselves. The cows all seemed to be of one mind (as if they'd communicated within their group) and Pearl seemed instinctively to know just what to do to keep the situation under control. If they had surrounded me - I"d have been freaking out and probably escalating any chance of danger there might be to myself. Interesting.

The house does have two fireplaces. One in the living room and one in the kitchen. I was misleading when I said it was moorishly decorated. It's not furnished and all the walls are painted white. It just has terra cotta tiles in some of the rooms and she's installed some interior windows shaped like minaret in the walls between some of the rooms. I think it's those two features that give the house a really unique and kind of spanish feel.

The gardens are incredible. Just incredible. I've been out there every evening just to wander around and see exactly what's out there. Each time I go, I find something more beautiful. The whole side of the house is covered in this incredibly lush trumpet vine that its going to be so beautiful when it blooms.

Anyway, thanks for your nice post. It makes me even more excited to live out there. Hope you have a lovely day. It's kind of chilly here today. How about
up where you are?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 02:16 pm
I think on average 10 people a year are killed by cows. I have seen them go as well, that is a great amount of flesh bearing down on a person to say nothing of the damage they can do with their feet. Your dog was extremely fortunate to escape also. Take more care in the country and always carry a mobile, you never know what can befall you. Taking care were you go and thinking about the surroundings alone can make you more alert. You learn a great deal more than simply taking a nonchalant manner when taking a long walk. Its good fun and you also have the added benefit in the UK in not having to worry about venomous snakes, spiders or other. Are there any rivers in the locality, I love rivers, full flood or simply trickling, they fascinate me.

The house sounds more beautiful every time you mention it, I really wish you the best of all luck in winning on this one.

I have been in Germany for a couple of days to watch England, we were awful to be honest with you, we got the result, and that was more good luck than good management. I can't see us getting very far at all unless we get our act together. Really is time we won this championship, 40 years and we are still talking about it.

Keeping it brief, just going on trivia.

You know, I really wish we faced an imminent danger from outer space, all of us tribes would become earthlings!

Take care Aidan.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 04:43 pm
Hi Mathos - Good to hear from you. Disregard almost everything you may have read last night - because I had a couple of glasses of wine and spoke way too sincerely - as if you were my long lost friend - and truth be told, I don't know if that's true or not so I'm editing this heavily and going back to my superior and supercilious mode of communication. Sad, isn't it? But I feel much more comfortable being sarcastic on this forum. And I don't want to leave my feelings about connectedness and family open to any weird interpretation.

Anyway - Happy for you that England won. I knew you guys would be happy about that - and I am happy for you. And I'm really happy for you that you were actually there to see it live.

I had a fun night tonight. I went to the quiz night to raise money for our village first school at the local pub. We came in second out of about l4 teams. We would have tied for first, but Trish (my friend) who is really, really smart, wouldn't believe me that the answer to this: STAINsteal"was stainless steal- even though I told her five times it had to be the answer and even asked her what the hell else could it be? But of course I deferred to her decision because she gets so damn mad at me if I'm wrong, and change my answer and make our team lose points (she's really, really competitive) but wouldn't you know it - of course, I was right and she was wrong so we lost ten points and came in second. I forgave her in the end. Oh well - it was fun anyway- and we won a bottle of Mateus wine. I gave it to her and Bob (her partner) as a housewarming present. They moved today.

I will carry a cell phone on my walks. How sweet of you to care- but yes, I have become so aware of how dangerous seemingly benign and gentle animals can be.

I get more and more excited about the house. I called today and she said that as long as my references check out - it's mine - and they will - so it is. Thanks for being excited for me.

Sawadeka - Aidan

PS I like what you said about being earthlings. That's why I'm not patriotic - I'm a citizen of the earth. Yes- we need nothing more than to pull ourselves together as huimans and stop separating ourselves into tribes.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 03:29 pm
An old friend! Well I can assure you Aidan, I have been called much worse in my day. Old friend is fitting I would think. Sarcasm is fine by me, I think you can let yourself go with mirth this time, after all whats an odd bollocking between 'old friends?' :wink:

The USA held the I.Ti's to a 1-1 draw, it was a good game as well, I was impressed. So good luck with your next game in the group.

Quiz nights can be fun, it is a while though since I went to one. Like most things in life you go through spells of different leisure time periods. Your lucky if you can find a really good local nowadays though. Pub life in Britain up to the late 70's was unique. Then the breweries started messing about with interior design, serving food, making silly rules and applying dress codes. The vaults had all gone and the salt of the earth types who lived by a pint or two on the way home every night after 8 hours down a bloody mine, was told he couldn't come in. Personally, I'd have wrecked the joint.

As you are fully aware though, drinking habits have changed considerably, young lads and their pints, and girls with a gill of mild simply don't exist any more. Its breezers and all sorts of gut rotting rubbish in a fancy bottle sold at fifty times its real value, they don't even need glasses behind the bar. Straight from the bottle after its trip to the pub from god knows where, no doubt well sprayed with cat piss, rat piss and dog piss and the kids are sticking them down their throats like they are enduring sexual encounters of a weird kind.

I had a good day today, my grandson has been with me all day (as he always is on a Saturday, and yes we had our black pudding) One of the Robins has just hatched a second brood of five and I was showing them to him, he was quite fascinated, the nest is built only three feet up an ivy covered chopped oak tree and obviously visibility is remarkable. I might just photograph it tomorrow.

Sawadeka and take care.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 03:06 am
Hi Mathos - I didn't say "old friend". I said, "long lost friend". That doesn't connote age at all. So, don't worry, I'm not calling you an old man. And a lot of the times, I relate better to people who are older than I am. I appreciate their wealth of experience and seem to have a lot more in common with them in terms of general methods of communication, values, etc.

Anyway - just because you're a grandfather doesn't have to mean you're old. My sister who is four years older than me is a grandmother. She had her first child at 23 and he (her son) had his first child at 23. She really enjoys her little grandson. He's the spitting image of his father when he was a little boy and I think that brings back a lot of good memories for her. It sounds like you really enjoy your grandsons too.

I'm looking forward to having grandchildren myself. Babies and small children are just magic to me. They bring so much wisdom and laughter and honesty into any space they inhabit. I miss having that in my life on a daily basis and it'll be another ten years or so for any grandchildren to appear. My daughter often expresses the wish for a little brother or sister. At this point, I don't think I'd go through the whole rigamarole of having another child (been there-done that) -but I often think of adopting again. It's something I believe in and it turned out so wonderfully for our family the first time I did it.

That drinking issue is a hard one. My son's friends are all allowed to drink (at l6 and l7) within their homes, but by the American law and culture, he wouldn't be able to drink legally for another four years (I think that's kind of ridiculous though). He doesn't show any tendencies for binging (I've never seen him act drunk and I don't let him stay over at parties - I always make him come home so I can see what state he's in), so I let him have a shandy or half-pint every now and then. I guess I feel comfortable doing that as neither his father or I have alcoholic tendencies and he hasn't exhibited any addictive behaviors himself. It would different though if those two things weren't true.

I know what you mean about pubs. But we still happen to have two real old fashioned locals in our village. No funny rules or set menus. Our village is more of a working village than a pretty little tourist stop. So the pubs don't attract many folks who don't actually live here. It's a nice social outlet and a great place to get to know your neighbors.

So you were watching the robins and I was watching toads yesterday. I had all these bags of landscaping soil I needed to get rid of (I'd bought them to make some raised beds to plant more vegetables, but since I now have to move, I offered them to this guy I know who just bought a house and is working on his garden). We were moving them in the wheelbarrow and saw all these brown toads out there. I was surprised how short their legs were and how slowly they were moving. He said the heat made them sleepy. I'd have never thought of that.

It was a beautiful day yesterday, wasn't it? I'd love to see your pictures of the robins. I haven't taken any long walks in two weeks as I haven't been able to put any shoes except flip-flops on. (I am going to lose one of my big toe-nails. It's slowly working it's way off- I can't bring myself to help it along and take it off. I'll keep you updated on the status of that as I know you'll be interested Surprised - I don't know what this one means - Surprised -I just picked it as a change of pace).
Hope you have a nice Sunday.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 03:32 am
I almost forgot - Happy Father's Day!

(Looks like it's going to be a nice one)
0 Replies