Stupid cigarettes! arggg!

flushd

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 06:32 am
I used to smoke. Quit for my surgery. But I've been bad....

One of my bestest girl pals smokes like a chimney. I've been craving a smoke so bad, probably bc of stress. I caved. I am smoking again.

Once I smoked one, it led to another one , then buying a pack, then looking for money to buy my next one.

Arggg.!

Does that little voice ever go away?! I thought I had it kicked. But one moment of weakness and I feel like an addict again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,488 • Replies: 46
No top replies

material girl

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 06:49 am
Warning-Non smoker about to post.

Naughty you!!!
Im so proud of people when they quit smoking.99% of my friends have smoked in their lives and one by one they are all quitting.
It seems like its something they did as rebels when they were yuonger but now they are growing out of it.

I know its an addiction and you must get a buzz out of it but in the long run, what is the point!

You need to work out your reason for smoking, what its replacing, then get a substitution for it.

You wont stink of smoke, youl be healthier, youl have more money, your fingers and teeth wont be yellow, you wont have to explain to any of your kids why you smoked whe you know its bad for you etc and all the other stuff you dont want to hear from a non smoker.

Whats the little voice saying?

You have a bigger voice, use it to kick this little voices little butt!!!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 07:08 am
Very Happy You're a sweetheart, mat. All that you say is true.

The little voice says " You know you want me, baby. Oh yeah. Just one time."

It's evil! Evil, I tells you!

The jerk voice won't win for long. I fell to temptation. Just gotta crawl back up.....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 07:09 am
> puff puff<

aww.. ****.. sorry chick'a..

lemme take this out side..
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 07:12 am
But it smells so good... Evil or Very Mad

Laughing Damn smokers!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 07:40 am
Laughing

think about it this way

if smoking were easy to quit, there wouldnt be a HUGE market for smokers assistance products.

Dont beat yourself up.
You didnt get hooked in one day, so you wont quit in one day..
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 07:42 am
That brings up an interesting question, shewolf. Is it easier to quit 'cold turkey' or by cutting back? Probably depends on the person but I was in the turkey camp.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 07:45 am
I was too.

Because, I am an 'extreme' personallity style cold turkey was right up my alley

Either way, it takes a bit of resolve to stay there.
AS I have not..

I think.. and just M-O-, tappering off gives you room to make excuses to keep lighting up.

The all so typical - Im only smoking 2 a day now, that isnt dangerous-

or .. - I just need to taper off a few more weeks to ensure I wont start again-

i say, just do it. Dont prolong the withdrawls. Just do it.

but thats me
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 07:47 am
quiting smoking is very easy, I do several times every day.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 07:52 am
An ex boss would quit smoking occasionally but what she did was quit buying. She'd bum from me or someone else until she'd eventually cave in and buy some more for herself.

I was a regular smoker for many, many years but quit when I became pregnant for the first time. I was never a heavy smoker but I smoked every day, mostly in the evening after work.

My two sisters have one clear breath in the morning when they first wake up. There's nicotine in every subsequent breath.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:03 am
Pregnancy was what stopped me for almost 2 years.
a funeral gave me excuse to start again.

I am honestly not looking to quit now.
I have always been a 3 cig a day smoker.
More , only if I have a beer to go with it.

but 10+ years of smoking and I have never EVER gotten worse.

I give.. im a smoker for life right now. Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:07 am
I'm the same way but it's more like three packs a year. My first response to major stress is to want a cigarette. Every so often I'll buy a pack, smoke one or two cigarettes to feel better and then stick the pack in a cupboard. I'll finish the pack over the course of a month or two and then not smoke again until I buy the next pack a few months later.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:08 am
wow..

i wish i could do that!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:11 am
Smoking a two month old cigarette isn't very rewarding, I'm just too cheap to throw them away.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:12 am
Laughing

I feel ya sistah......
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:16 am
I really tried to quit for a decade. I'd quit for a week, a month, a few days... I finally got a Rx for Wellbutrin, and I haven't smoked for a year and seven months. <well, I puffed about eight or none cigs since then, but none in the last year.>

I swear, I feel so much better. All over. I visualize pink lungs. Smile

Maybe some helpful aids, flushd? Quitting will be so good for you.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:32 am
flushd....there's good news and bad news....

If you stay quit, the urges will become less and less. You've probably heard this before, but it really is like riding a wave. It will be like your floating along fine, then in an instant, you are caught up in this huge swell of the urge to smoke. I can't remember how long exactly, but the strong part only lasts a few minutes, like less than 5. If you can get past that a few times, you've put some notches in your belt. At first the waves come often, then, they fewer and fewer, and less and less strong, while at the same time your feeling of accomplishment gets stronger and stronger.

Can you ask your friend not to smoke around you? If she's a good friend, she'll take it outside.

The bad (well not so bad) news is, once you've successfully quit, all of a sudden, even years later, you'll get this sudden nostalgic urge. For me, it would be situational, I'd be in a great mood, doing something enjoyable, and I'll see or smell someone smoking and my brain will say "Remember how good a cigarette was when you used to do this"

However, when that happens, I'm able to laugh and myself and shake it off. It is just a momentary thing, like a minute, and you realize how yucky the cigarette would actually be….it's sorta like suddenly remembering an old lover….it's fun to think of him for a minute, but you're not going to go on a quest to find him.

BTW - the Wellbutrin is an excellent idea....talk to your dr. about it, it really does work.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 10:02 am
flushd, as someone who doesn't smoke but has had relatives go from lung cancer -- I (we all do) care about you and want you to be healthy and around for a long time.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 06:22 pm
One of the saddest experiences of my life was watching a girlfriend die of lung cancer at the age of 40. She had two children under the age of 10 and it was agony to see how they had to deal with it. She had been a very beautiful woman, but during the last year of her life she looked like the victim of a concentration camp. She might have lived longer with a future of dragging around an oxygen tank, but the cancer spread to her brain. She offered to do an anti-smoking commercial for the American Lung Society, but she died before anything was agreed on. She had done some runway modeling in Europe and she wanted that contrasted with her condition during the last year of her life.

I'm of an age that most of my friends do not smoke and I'm surprised when I see so many younger women lighting up. I thought our society agreed it's a gross and unhealthy addiction, It thought it would just fade away as a habit, but the generation behind mine seems to smoke more than my generation. I truly don't get it.

I do know a long time smoker who quit with the aid of Zyban and some insurance companies will pay for it. Might be worth talking to a doctor about it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 06:26 pm
Zyban is a double dose of Wellbutrin, or is it the other way around?

Anyway, that's why it works...

If you're taking Wellbutrin, they tell you not to take Zyban too, or is it the other way around?

It seems like if your insurance doesn't cover a stop smoking program, they will definitley pay for the Wellbutrin if you say you are depressed....I don't think it would take too much to have your doctor go along with this, if it gets you to quit smoking and is covered by your insurance.

Besides, you ARE depressed about the fact you smoke.
0 Replies