Input appreciated--(this is a low-drama post)

Eva

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 09:13 pm
Gala wrote:
Eva wrote:
By "a Christian bent"...Do you mean a touch of self-righteousness? Thinks he's slightly superior?

Well, this ties in with the chattiness-- he talks about some pastor who is connected with some of the work he does and I can make neither hide nor hair of what he is talking about. And, he said I have a "holy" curiosity, which, again, I haven't a clue. And, he wrote about some Christian retreat/living commune type place he lived in years ago, apparently, everyone was in pain so that's why they flocked there.

I think the touch of self-righteousness comes from his diagnosing/analyzing my behavior in emails after one meeting.

Yep, I thought as much.

I'm a Christian, but I wasn't offended. There ARE guys like that around most churches. Thankfully, not ALL of them, though. By "holy" curiosity, he's thinking you'd be a likely convert. Sorry. Honestly, we're not all like that.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 05:41 am
wow, yours must have had lots higher edumacation to pronounce that L in bub.

having grown up a yankee, I find that pronunciation exotic....sometimes I'll cuddle up to him and beg...."whisper laht bub in my ear"

wowzers! <shivers>

Gala...I have a cousin, my godfather I adored growing up....He moved to New Zealand when I was maybe 8 or 9.

Maybe 2 years ago, somehow we came into contact again, via email.

I could not make hide nor hair of what he was talking about....ever.

We exchanged maybe 2 dozen emails back and forth...and his seemed to be in no relation to mine. I would literally be scrathing my head while I read. They were obviously written by a very intelligent person, and I quickly picked up he and his wife had a totally different philosophy on life, but I'll be damned if I could figure out what it was.

Some people just exist on another plane.

Lord I hate it when someone thinks they have me figured out after an hour in one situation.

I went on ONE date with this guy, who, at the end of the evening started telling me that he knew I was very motherly and he kept envisioning me with a baby in my arms.

From the direction he was looking....he was judging that from ribbed tank top I was wearing.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 08:29 am
Eva wrote:
Yep, I thought as much.

I'm a Christian, but I wasn't offended. There ARE guys like that around most churches. Thankfully, not ALL of them, though. By "holy" curiosity, he's thinking you'd be a likely convert. Sorry. Honestly, we're not all like that.

Eva, Ooo, that sounds so familiar! I don't doubt this guy has well-spring of intelligence and sensitivity, but his egoism/narcissim overides his abiltiy to look outside of himself. It amazes me, really, that they see a potential convert in people they meet.

Those wanting to convert rely heavily on outside influences for inner guidence, unfortunately, they fail to separate with other individuals and their mission to save themselves.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:57 am
Hmm. I hadn't thought of it that way. In some cases, I would agree with that. There are a lot of different motivations for wanting to convert others, IMO. Some are honest and respectful, but many are self-serving. I think this guy belongs squarely in the self-serving corner.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 01:09 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
wow, yours must have had lots higher edumacation to pronounce that L in bub.

having grown up a yankee, I find that pronunciation exotic....sometimes I'll cuddle up to him and beg...."whisper laht bub in my ear"

wowzers! <shivers>

Gala...I have a cousin, my godfather I adored growing up....He moved to New Zealand when I was maybe 8 or 9.

Maybe 2 years ago, somehow we came into contact again, via email.

I could not make hide nor hair of what he was talking about....ever.

We exchanged maybe 2 dozen emails back and forth...and his seemed to be in no relation to mine. I would literally be scrathing my head while I read. They were obviously written by a very intelligent person, and I quickly picked up he and his wife had a totally different philosophy on life, but I'll be damned if I could figure out what it was.

Some people just exist on another plane.

Lord I hate it when someone thinks they have me figured out after an hour in one situation.

I went on ONE date with this guy, who, at the end of the evening started telling me that he knew I was very motherly and he kept envisioning me with a baby in my arms.

From the direction he was looking....he was judging that from ribbed tank top I was wearing.

Getting to the bottom of your personality in an hour or less-- it's so silly. And in your case, it was the tank top.

Yes, your story about your Godfather sums it up. I wouldn't have the heart or the interest to ask him to explain himself. It really does come down to inhabiting different worlds, and in your case, you'd have to be the one with most of the patience.

When people write as if you have experienced their world, going into detail about small and inconsequential things, this to me is one of the drawbacks of e-mail.
0 Replies

mystery girl

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 01:13 pm
Gala,

You seem almost equally annoyed that he writes you about things that bore you and that he seems to write/act only for his own benefit.

In my experience, self-oriented people almost always stay that way. If you're not really into him (and maybe even if you are, based on your descriptions of him), you could just stop seeing him
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 01:40 pm
Nice summation, mystery girl. He only writes about boring things and he only writes about himself. He is boring.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 01:58 pm
mystery girl wrote:
Gala,

You seem almost equally annoyed that he writes you about things that bore you and that he seems to write/act only for his own benefit.

In my experience, self-oriented people almost always stay that way. If you're not really into him (and maybe even if you are, based on your descriptions of him), you could just stop seeing him

mystery girl, it's true, I am annoyed. I love the stories that come from the other people-- they're all variations on the theme of self-centeredness. Yes, he is no more, but I'm enjoying the life of this thread...it's light enough of a topic that others can contribute their stories without feeling exhausted. Thanks for weighing in.
0 Replies

mystery girl

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 02:10 pm
Gala wrote:

mystery girl, it's true, I am annoyed. I love the stories that come from the other people-- they're all variations on the theme of self-centeredness. Yes, he is no more, but I'm enjoying the life of this thread...it's light enough of a topic that others can contribute their stories without feeling exhausted. Thanks for weighing in.

I did love your relation of the walking up the mountain story. Walking ahead of you, talking away, no sense of reference to you - it told more about him than anything else you wrote. I was with a guy once who would just leave a store when he was ready to go, without thinking of me or whether I was ready to go or not (when any fool could see I was in the middle of something). Our first fight was over that very issue. Funnily enough, in nearly a decade together (most of which was married) that was one of our top three arguments (or some variation of it - not the original incident of course, but the thousands of repeats and what it stood for).
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 03:00 pm
roger wrote:
Nice summation, mystery girl. He only writes about boring things and he only writes about himself. He is boring.

I always like when you weigh in Roger, I hope the topic isn't boring the crap out of you. I think you're the the first person who responded to a post of mine back in the Abuzz days.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 03:14 pm
mystery girl wrote:
I did love your relation of the walking up the mountain story. Walking ahead of you, talking away, no sense of reference to you - it told more about him than anything else you wrote. I was with a guy once who would just leave a store when he was ready to go, without thinking of me or whether I was ready to go or not (when any fool could see I was in the middle of something). Our first fight was over that very issue. Funnily enough, in nearly a decade together (most of which was married) that was one of our top three arguments (or some variation of it - not the original incident of course, but the thousands of repeats and what it stood for).

About the walking up the steep climb in the park-- he did turn around at one point to compare his being out of breath to see if I was too.

All these things registered with me as odd, but the contrarian voice in me wondered if maybe I wasn't giving it a fair shake. But, when I hear your story, mystery girl, it's like, F****** A, I didn't imagine that this is a slight, a quiet insult...
0 Replies

mystery girl

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 03:24 pm
Gala wrote:
All these things registered with me as odd, but the contrarian voice in me wondered if maybe I wasn't giving it a fair shake. But, when I hear your story, mystery girl, it's like, F****** A, I didn't imagine that this is a slight, a quiet insult...

Have totally been there. That exact same sensation - odd, maybe I've been hasty or misunderstood or something. Answer: probably not, and the only question is whether there is enough else to justify dealing with that issue.

(To be fair to the person I was talking about in my case, he certainly had many redeeming qualities and over time learned to get out of his head a bit and realize there are other people to consider as well. I've been with other people who weren't clueless but instead were just selfish and unrepentant. I suppose that of the two, I'd rather have the non-malicious type, but either way - unless you want that struggle all the time, see the signs.)

And no worries - he probably won't have a clue why you aren't interested in him anymore!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 04:38 pm
Route 66? Do check out Lena's Cafe in Tucumcarie. Nothing really special, but what a break from the chains and fast foods.

Now, who else knows what we're talking about?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:52 pm
roger wrote:
Route 66? Do check out Lena's Cafe in Tucumcarie. Nothing really special, but what a break from the chains and fast foods.

Now, who else knows what we're talking about?

Yeah. No one, unless they archived all of Abuzz before they took it down. What a stinking great trip that was. Alas, I would like to be able to look back on that Abuzz thread. Oh well.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:57 pm
mystery girl wrote:
Have totally been there. That exact same sensation - odd, maybe I've been hasty or misunderstood or something. Answer: probably not, and the only question is whether there is enough else to justify dealing with that issue.

(To be fair to the person I was talking about in my case, he certainly had many redeeming qualities and over time learned to get out of his head a bit and realize there are other people to consider as well. I've been with other people who weren't clueless but instead were just selfish and unrepentant. I suppose that of the two, I'd rather have the non-malicious type, but either way - unless you want that struggle all the time, see the signs.)

Memory can be fickle. What I mean is, at times, when I think about my former boyfriend I become upset about all the infractions, on other days I'm filled with gratitude for having known him. It's an up-and-down thing.
0 Replies