Input appreciated--(this is a low-drama post)

Gala

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:30 am
Hi All, I'll be brief-- I've met and been out with this guy once. He's smart, we have some interests incommon, but what's developed from this one meeting are emails from him where he writes about things that are of absolutely no interest to me at all. Personal politics type things/people who I don't know and how they interact. It's chatty and dull to me, and I would not write to someone I don't know discussing, say, the politics of my work environment.

Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,473 • Replies: 54
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:32 am
Maybe he thinks he does know you?

If you think it's chatty and dull though, doesn't sound very promising.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:41 am
An interesting observation Sozobe-- because I believe he does think he knows what makes me tick. In his emails he's almost made a diagnosis about my personality traits. It's strange. I want to tell him up front about the chattiness and his presumption of "getting" me.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:43 am
Has he asked you what your sign is yet?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:44 am
Then tell. See what happens.

It sounds like you've had a fair amount of email conversation and at least one face-to-face meeting -- I think a lot of people would consider that grounds for "knowing" someone, especially in this context (possible romantic interest). Have you been writing personal, revealing stuff back to him, or just, like, "Hey, pretty bird outside." ;-) Why do you think he doesn't know you?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:47 am
Actually, sounds like I have it wrong -- you met, THEN emails. (At first reading I thought it was some long involved email correspondence with a face-to-face meeting somewhere towards the end of it.)

Overall, you sound profoundly uninterested in him, and it doesn't sound like you owe him anything in particular, so why continue?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:55 am
Soz wrote:
Overall, you sound profoundly uninterested in him, and it doesn't sound like you owe him anything in particular, so why continue?

That pretty well sums up our relationship, soz.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:55 am
sozobe, no I haven't been sending revealing things about me to him--

He doesn't know me because I've had one meeting with him that lasted 2 hrs. at the most.

Example: We met at a park that he's familiar with that I'd never been to (I'm fairly new to the area) and he walked ahead of me when we were negotiating the steeper terrains, talking all the time. Some little trigger in me registered t something wasn't right about that. He also walked a lot faster then me in general so he was always a little bit ahead.

My feeling is, if you are meeting someone that you want to get to know, you take the time to walk side-by-side with them.

Thanks for your responses, by the way.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:58 am
No, he didn't ask my sign, although I kind of wish he did, because then I could summarily dismiss him without thinking that I'm being too picky about it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:58 am
Gala-- maybe he wanted you to see his tight butt.

(Can't figure out another good reason to race your date uphill....)

That is sort of weird.

OK. Now, I have to know. Did he have a cute butt?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:02 am
Gala, it sounds like his interest is mostly in himself; it doesn't sound as though this suits you. It's just possible that you could quit answering his emails, and he wouldn't even notice. Give it a try?
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:03 am
You might want to be more aggressive with your interests, likes and dislikes. Don't give him sole control the discussion. Besides, small talk is the number one killer of meaningful relationships.

BTW I am male and understand your dilemma.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:25 am
Gala--

You don't suppose you're getting a generic e-mail? The daily update he sends to every woman he knows?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:02 pm
I'm with Roger. Stop answering his e-mails.

What a dud.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:03 pm
But, butt...?

<hee>
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:06 pm
Lash, ha! It was coldish that day, so there was no view of the butt, but, I think I just figured it out...he's got some years on me, at least 12, so I bet it was a prowess thing.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:09 pm
Showing his virility....

Able to climb mountains ....

That's sorta sad.

You know what you have to do....

A younger, more self-assured guy is waiting to nab you.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:10 pm
Gala- After living a long time, and having two husbands, if I have learned something, it is that early impressions are often very, very accurate. With both men that I married, what I picked up on, on the first date, came to pass in the relationship later.

He sounds like a self-centered bore to me!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:13 pm
Roger, good to hear from you. I'm glad to see you surface in spite of Tax season.

I may just do that, not answer him, afterall, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:17 pm
Noddy, I don't think they're generic posts-- an interesting thought though. There is, like, no way this guy has got a harem somewhere.

Tell-tale signs when a man is a real player: When he's stupendously charming and flirts with absolutely every woman. This guy is not stupendously charming.
0 Replies