Politics 101

Amigo

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:37 am
Me and the government do not agree right now.

"My own mind is my own church. All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." -Thomas Paine
0 Replies

LeftCoastBum

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:39 am
there you go now your quoteing meaningfull quotes
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:45 am
If you go back you will see an argument on this thread weather or not the founding fathers were Christians or not wich is basically an argument about the separation of church and state.

The Church and state together is a theocracy. Meaning Religion as law inforced by men on other men. Bad idea.
0 Replies

LeftCoastBum

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:46 am
I know this isnt the quotes page but anyways here

"The force of public opinion cannot be resisted when permitted freely to be expressed. The agitation it produces must be submitted to."
0 Replies

LeftCoastBum

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:49 am
well they are obviously not christians (well not all of them) its says right here " congress shall make no law respecting an establisment of religion" amendment I and i agree because if youdo that then someone is going to gather up enough people and say that god chose him to lead these people and here comes the next monarchy trying to take over.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:55 am
"The force of public opinion cannot be resisted when permitted freely to be expressed. The agitation it produces must be submitted to."

There are people working in private on the pesky agitations from public opinion.

Soon tecnology will out match the people and a very small number of people will be able to control very large portions of the population.

And then............. The Green lantern comes in and jacks up the evil Bush and give America back to the people..........and then the Green lantern takes off Bushes mask.........and it's Bin Laden!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

LeftCoastBum

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:56 am
green lanter rules!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 03:02 am
What political ideology would the Green Lantern have?
0 Replies

LeftCoastBum

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 03:04 am
hes bound by his own morale values so you would have to ask him. his only duty or allegiance is to the lantern corp. and his only intrest is in protecting the earth from outside intruders.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:02 pm
okie wrote:
Amigo, you have some good points I agree with and some I don't. And it seems Asherman has a very good understanding of history and I generally agree with his assessment. My observation is that some of the founders were not overly thrilled with organized religion, and it is quite true that much bad stuff has been done in the name of religion. I recognize that and agree with that. The argument over whether most of them were deists or not, I can't add anything to that. All of this does not change the fact that most, if not all, believed in a one Creator, and their moral grounding sprung out of a Judeo-Christian tradition. Some may have criticized the hypocrisy of some of the religious, which I also agree with, but I think most recognized that government was not the answer to the world's problems, as communism tends to do. They believed in the rights and responsibilities of individuals as endowed by the Creator, and as endorsed by our Declaration of Independence and Constitution. They also believed that a basic moral standard and personal morality was necessary for such a culture to thrive within the framework of our type of government.

Conservatism recognizes that some problems cannot be solved by government, that utopia is not possible, and that many things are best left to people. People, by nature, want to believe in something. If they don't believe in a God, they will tend to look for somebody else to cure their ills and the ills of society, and often that turns out to be government. I personally think this is a dangerous direction in which to go, because history has shown this to end up with the infringement of personal rights and even the deaths of millions of people.

Okie what me or you or asherman say or belive does not matter as it applys to the very clearly stated intent of the founding fathers regarding the church, religion and it's roll in government.

Founding fathers and deism;

http://www.deism.org/foundingfathers.htm

"The United States of America should have a foundation free from the influence of clergy."
-George Washington

"My own mind is my own church. All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." -Thomas Paine
0 Replies

LeftCoastBum

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:22 pm
" They believed in the rights and responsibilities of individuals as endowed by the Creator, and as endorsed by our Declaration of Independence and Constitution. " -okie

I do not believe that they thought these rights and responsibilities came from one creator I mean thats like saying Im a good person because god says i should instead of just being a good person because its the right thing to do. I feel that they formed these rights and responsibilities from the plain obvious rights that we should have and that they were not given in the old country due to a christian foundation.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:12 pm
LCB, You're telling us you're a good person because of your creator? What happened to the rest of us?
0 Replies

LeftCoastBum

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:23 pm
no im saying that you dont need an all seeing creator to do the right thing. you should just do it, wihtout using the fear of a consiquenice from an all seeing creator. and that i think that or for fathers new that when they wrote the constitution.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:28 pm
Acdtually, you can leave out "creator," and still be a "good" person.
0 Replies

LeftCoastBum

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:30 pm
yeah thats what i said
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:33 pm
We seem to all be in agreement. My only question is why a "creator" was even brought up?
0 Replies

LeftCoastBum

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:43 pm
okie was trying to say that or for fathers wrote the constitution based on their judeo christian beliefs in a single creator and thats where our rights came from and I was stating that even though they "might have" believed in one creator that its not where they got our basic rights from. i said that basically they are commonsense rights that we should all have regardless of a belief in a single creator, rights that they did not have in a country ruled by beliefs in a single creator
0 Replies

LeftCoastBum

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:44 pm
i see that your quite the traveler how many passports have you gone through?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:55 pm
Quote:
see that your quite the traveler how many passports have you gone through?

I had pages added to my last passport that was supposed to expire in August of this year, but with all my trips planned, I renewed it in December. I just had a Brazil VISA added to my passport for my South America trip to begin on April 3. Most countries require a passport to be valid for six months after your trip is supposed to expire, so I just renewed it a few months early. I had to, because of my trip in February to Guatemala and Costa Rica for three weeks, and my window to obtain the Brazil VISA was one month.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 07:40 pm
I hope this will end the silly season, and let us get back to a discussion of government fundamentals. It took about three minutes with google to find several sites that dispute the contention that "most of the Founders were Deists".

Fifty-two of the 55 founders of the Constitution were members
of the established orthodox churches in the colonies
-Truth!
It was common for leaders of that time to be a member of a church.
According to research conducted by U.S.Constitution.net, here is the breakdown of the religion of the framers of the U.S. Constitution:

Congregationalist-7
Deist-1
Dutch Reformed-2
Episcopalian-26
Lutheran-1
Methodist-2
Presbyterian-11
Quaker-3
Roman Catholic-2

Some either changed church affiliation in their lifetimes or had dual membership.

Website Source
0 Replies