THE NEW CAT ROOM! (or the Cat Room #2)

urs53

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 05:40 pm
It's after midnight and Nisse and Mysan are running around like crazy. I guess I don't have to go to bed now...
dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 05:48 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:

Poor Miranda!

Ask the vet about smell-eliminating or -reducing products. Some years ago, when my previous cat, Tigger, was sick, she recommended something - but I can't remember what it was now. Worked pretty well, though!

White vinegar mixed with water!!!
dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 09:16 pm
@dlowan,
Just had a phone call from a friend...she had to have her cat put down this morning.

Had meant to have it done at home tomorrow, but Misha deteriorated over night.....

Russian blue, imperious, demanding, talkative, outraged if not attended to....VERY beautiful and captivating. 17 years old.

We cried together.

Here's to Misha, and all the cats who make our lives fuller and sillier and warmer.

0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 07:03 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

We've got a new cat coming just before christmas

He's a Maine Coon and about 8 weeks old, he'll be coming when he's 12 weeks. No ideas for a name yet (at least not one we both agree on).

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_iXb0DHXT6Tg/SSSvk9a_v_I/AAAAAAAAAPk/q19l6a3CcPk/s144/IMG_6479a.jpg

I say she looks like an Alice. Name her Alice. Sam will be very happy if you do. Wink
margo

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 07:20 pm
@squinney,
She does look like an Alice.

Great looking cat! Love ginger cats!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 11:57 pm
@squinney,
Or maybe Alex, as she's a boy. Wink

(Squinney, I think you're becoming a cat person! Surprised Very Happy )
dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 05:56 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Or maybe Alex, as she's a boy. Wink

(Squinney, I think you're becoming a cat person! Surprised Very Happy )

She's a goner...and a damn fine thing, too!!!!

Miranda had her back teeth out today...and made it through the anaesthesia!!!

However, her x-rays do NOT look good....but the vet has no idea what is wrong.

Could be infected lungs, could be heart failure, with resultant fluid in lungs...could be cancer.

She did a lung lavage....and the resultant fluid is being tested for all of the above.

I am going back for a check-up and results on Saturday week.

Meanwhile, I have a very paranoid pussy hiding under the chair in my room, peering with alarm at every sound, and at nothing. Obviously very traumatised, and with a sore mouth.

I am about to go to bed, hoping she will come and settle down with me when all is quiet.

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 12:03 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Miranda had her back teeth out today...and made it through the anaesthesia!!!

However, her x-rays do NOT look good....but the vet has no idea what is wrong.

Could be infected lungs, could be heart failure, with resultant fluid in lungs...could be cancer.

She did a lung lavage....and the resultant fluid is being tested for all of the above.

I am going back for a check-up and results on Saturday week.

Meanwhile, I have a very paranoid pussy hiding under the chair in my room, peering with alarm at every sound, and at nothing. Obviously very traumatised, and with a sore mouth.

I am about to go to bed, hoping she will come and settle down with me when all is quiet.

Poor little Miranda.

Something is wrong, obviously ... & I hope you find out what it is, Deb. And soon.

And I hope she's feeling more at ease now. Please give her lots of pats & hugs from me.

Why were her back teeth extracted? A new problem?

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 12:10 am
@urs53,
I just found your post, urs. (I miss things all the time these days!)

Greetings to you, Bigdice, Nisse & Mysan! Very Happy
dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 12:29 am
@msolga,
They were really rotten (I feel such a bad owner!) and likely making her ill.

Thing is she was pretty damn happy until a few days ago...but they are stoical little things!!!

She was still confused and paranoid this morning.....came in for a cuddle, but went nuts when the alarm went off, and decided I was trying to kill her and hid. She was gazing suspiciously at me from behind a bit of furniture when I left this morning.

It was so sad last night.

She came and lay on a pillow next to me early in the night, but she was drooling, and every time a bit of drool landed on one of her paws, she would startle violently......same if I moved, or ANY noise, however small and normal, happened.

I was supposed to give her medicine this morning, but decided this would send her off her trolley, so hopefully she will be calmer for me to give it tonight!!!
msolga

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 01:28 am
@dlowan,
That's awful, Deb. I hope she's coming around a bit by now. (Poor little confused thing! I imagine that you're not feeling too terrific, either. Sad )

Years ago, I had a (then) very young cat (Polly) who responded with absolute dismay & horror to being taken to the vet's to be neutered (How do you spell the sp ---- d word? Confused ). On her return home after the operation, she absolutely refused to stay inside & sat under a tree (with a good view of the back door) & sort of stared fixedly at me (or was she glaring?) for hours. How could I have done this to her? I felt terrible. But the good news is that she got over it fairly quickly & lived on to the ripe old age of 23!

I'm hoping that Miranda is now well & truly on the mend!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 02:27 am
Yikes! Poor little Miranda! Poor Deb!
dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 05:10 am
@margo,
She had stopped thinking I was trying to kill her by the time I got home tonight....she's been tres cuddly.

However...all that is about to change, as I must now give her TWO medications...one of them a HUGE pill.

She doesn't do pills.

Wish us well.
dlowan

Reply Fri 28 Nov, 2008 05:18 am
@dlowan,
I THINK It went down..

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 05:46 pm
@dlowan,
I do HOPE it went down, Deb!

How's she doing now? Is she starting to feel a bit better (health-wise)?

Pleased she's stopped the cold shoulder thing! Wink
dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 06:36 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I do HOPE it went down, Deb!

How's she doing now? Is she starting to feel a bit better (health-wise)?

Pleased she's stopped the cold shoulder thing! Wink

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Last night I tried the second half pill.

In the same place I tried the first half pill.

While I was luring her over to take the second, I found the first, where she spat it out 24 hours before.

I inserted first pill...and, despite scratches and wild struggles, I held on, with her mouth held gently closed, stroking her throat. She swallowed.

Ditto with last night's half pill.

I then held her gently and waited for a while.

Held her there, but let go of mouth.

Found both soggy pills on sofa.

Repeat.

Found ONE soggy pill on sofa.

Repeat.

Am now too scared to go near sofa, in case I find them.

Will try the holding cat with legs while squatting method tonight.

She is eating, and is a bit PLAYFUL!

When I am not suspected of pill betrayals, she is her affectionate, talkative seld again.

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 06:39 pm
@dlowan,
ugh my gmas house had 3 cats die from lung fluid.

i was like does that tell you somethin?

they acted dumb, i was like , wow , somethings wrong with the environment, start cleaning.

sad, one was 15, named taz, when i was little he bullied me, when he was old i was his only solace in that stupid place.1
msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 06:55 pm
@dlowan,
Oh good grief, Deb! Been there, done that (finding the supposedly swallowed pills all over the place. Sigh.) So I know how distressing it can be when the cat in question is seriously ill. Sighing again.

My vet sold me a pill applicator for this very reason. An inexpensive & very handy invention! It made things a lot easier. Not pleasant, mind, but defintely a lot easier.

Quote:

When I am not suspected of pill betrayals, she is her affectionate, talkative seld again.

This is very good. Excellent!

Quote:

Well, good luck with it! I have the feeling that she's working on clever new ways of getting around swallowing, though. Why oh why can't we just reason with them & get their cooperation that way? Wink

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 06:57 pm
@OGIONIK,
Sounds like your grandmother was unable to properly look after them, Ogionik.
Poor things.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:06 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Oh good grief, Deb! Been there, done that (finding the supposedly swallowed pills all over the place. Sigh.) So I know how distressing it can be when the cat in question is seriously ill. Sighing again.

My vet sold me a pill applicator for this very reason. An inexpensive & very handy invention! It made things a lot easier. Not pleasant, mind, but defintely a lot easier.

Quote:

Hmmmm...wonder where they sell pill applicators? I was wondering about those.

This is very good. Excellent!

Quote:

Well, good luck with it! I have the feeling that she's working on clever new ways of getting around swallowing, though. Why oh why can't we just reason with them & get their cooperation that way? Wink

This smegs me right out....I have NEVER had trouble getting pills down any animal before.

I used to go to people's houses to medicate THEIR animals, because they said they couldn't manage it. I never had any trouble...but this cat?

I might try the old butter trick tonight.