THE NEW CAT ROOM! (or the Cat Room #2)

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:16 pm
@dlowan,
You can buy pill applicators from your vet, Deb. If you are feeling desperate for one today you could perhaps contact one of those emergency vets, which are open on the weekends, & ask if they'll sell you one. Trust me, they're worth it. You get to place the pill right at the back of the mouth into the throat, so the cunning little devils can't spit them out.

We once had a cat who loved cheese & the only way of ensuring that he swallowed his medication was to make "cheese balls", with the pill craftily hidden in the middle. He (Billy Baxter) used to come running at pill time! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:19 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
This smegs me right out....I have NEVER had trouble getting pills down any animal before.

Could be because she's had to have too many of them, poor thing?
dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:47 pm
@msolga,
Actually, until now, she's barely had any meds at all.

She's just a cat with a HUGE sense of her own worth.....and, as afar as she is concerned, this sort of thing is an unwarranted assault.

She's hilarious when vets are doing anything to her, she turns around, looks them right in the eye, and GLARES. No matter how they move around, or she is moved around, she keeps that eyelock on them.

Some have found it very un-nerving!

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:51 pm
@dlowan,
Ha! I love an assertive cat! (Except when I have to give them pills!)
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2008 04:16 pm
@msolga,
Hello, msolga! All four of us are doing great! Hope the same for you!
msolga

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2008 05:02 pm
@urs53,
Very Happy Good to hear, urs!

Me? Oh, about a 7 out of 10 at the moment. Wink
dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 07:14 pm
@msolga,
Phew!!!

Just got back from vet.....no cancer, bacterial infection showing up!!!

And some chronic lung inflammation, and the usual older cat signs of early kidney failure.

AND I have the pill applicator (thank you Msolga!) for the new pills she is on.

She is MUCH better.....lungs a lot clearer, frisky and loving.

msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 07:18 pm
@dlowan,
Hooray!!!!!!

Go Miranda! Frisky, even! Very Happy

Let us know how you go with that applicator thingie, Deb. I hope it makes things a lot easier for you!
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 07:29 pm
@msolga,
hey msolga, hope I can ramble here...

Got adopted by a baby stray, and just got her back from the doc's.

meds twice a day, and I been nicked a bit, but not like trying to give 'em to the big boy, may he never get sick again. Shocked Twisted Evil Embarrassed

(yes, I'm turning into the crazy cat lady with a beard...)
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 07:33 pm
@Rockhead,
Rocky

Of course you can ramble on here! As much as you like! Very Happy

I had no idea that you were one of us cat besotted folk! Surprise! Surprised

So tell us about this little stray who adopted you, Rocky ...
dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 07:36 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

hey msolga, hope I can ramble here...

Got adopted by a baby stray, and just got her back from the doc's.

meds twice a day, and I been nicked a bit, but not like trying to give 'em to the big boy, may he never get sick again. Shocked Twisted Evil Embarrassed

(yes, I'm turning into the crazy cat lady with a beard...)

Cool!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 07:38 pm
@msolga,
some caring individual deposited her alongside my road. (I live rural)

I was heading to town when I heard her crying. took another whole day to coax her from behind the gas meter and while trying to give her a spot on the mud porch, she made a break for the guest room. been there since. she's smallish, butterscotch, skeered, and sickly.

so far my big guy is sympathetic, but set in his ways.

(called her baby sarge, but Gram is protesting, so...)
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 07:45 pm
@Rockhead,
Good on you, Rocky! I'm so glad you took her in. (& that your resident cat has accepted her! Phew!)

I can't stand it when people dump helpless animals like that. It drives me nuts! And I feel like I could happily damage their knee caps if ever I got hold of them. Grrrrr! Evil or Very Mad

How hard would it be to take an unwanted animal to a shelter?

Oooooooooh, a little butterscotch coloured kitten. You're gonna have to keep us posted! I predict your older cat will be fine with her, so long as she knows her place & treats him like the font of all feline wisdom!
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 07:50 pm
@msolga,
I'm sure when I get my camera unloaded that mizz iz will show her to the world for me.

It has amazed me how Gentle Stinky has been with her since she came home sickly from her surgery. Who knew he was so thoughtful, and why don't I get any of that???
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 08:02 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
It has amazed me how Gentle Stinky has been with her since she came home sickly from her surgery. Who knew he was so thoughtful, and why don't I get any of that???

It doesn't surprise me at all, Rocky.

I once watched (with incredible trepidation!) the "blending" of 2 cat families ... mine & "his". Pussa, his very stubborn, cranky & independent old tabby was amazingly kind & gentle with my Polly cat - who, let's be honest - was a bit of a flibberty-gibbert! Laughing
She adored him! And, most importantly, she knew her place. He was the boss!
Well, they ended up getting on famously. She would sit the right, reverential distance away & gaze at him adoringly. He taught her to chase & catch mice & pretend to be a hunter. She thought that was wonderful! Happiest I ever saw her. (She lived to be 23 years old, BTW. Long after Pussa had died.)

Don't be at all surprised if Stinky get a new lease of life, living with this new little whipper snapper!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 10:14 am
How nice to hear about little kittens that were saved from the street.

Last week, my sister had to have her black cat Hexe put to sleep. Hexe had a big tumor and was very sick. It is so sad but we are all happy that she had more than 6 good years at my sister's house with people who loved her. My sister got her from the shelter and she was wild. Wouldn't let anybody touch her. But with love and patience she became a rather friendly cat. She deserved a good home and she got one.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 11:00 am

we have noticed that our 2 year old, Big Puss...is not playful particularly. Just eats...gets fat mostly. This is not entertaining for us. Little Puss and Muschi are a world of entertainment so we have decided that every 18 months we will take the cats to the pound and trade them in for kittens. We need to laugh. Laughter is good for the soul.
urs53

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 04:23 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
You have a cat named Muschi?

Trading them in sounds like a good plan! :-)
Izzie

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 04:42 pm
@Rockhead,
Rock is the cat man (he really is) .... tho there's a possibility the "Bear" is in the running too now (HA!!!!!!)......

so glad Miranda is doing better Deb.

Urs... ohhhhh.... so sorry....

Looking forward to getting the photos Rock of bubbasarge .... will upload when my "real" connection is back.. (ack) and post some ones of Dink too.

waves to msolga Very Happy

Rockhead

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2008 11:21 pm
@Izzie,
God help me, what was I thinking...

bub sarge is now the kurious kitten from HELL...

Stinky is sitting back and loving every frustrating minute of it, I just can tell...

(he has that cat smirk goin' on...)

aaacckk!!