THE NEW CAT ROOM! (or the Cat Room #2)

Aldistar

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:34 am
Vietnamnurse wrote:
The do have a penchant for chewing plastic ,string and ribbon from packages. Very dangerous habits! Any ideas besides hiding everything?

Hide everything. I know it kind of sucks but that is the only way I have been able to keep my cat Whisper alive. He does the same thing. Eats plastic, swallows wire twist ties, chokes on rocks... Rolling Eyes I could go on.

I have lost count of how many times I have had to reach down his throat and pop out the latest find...I don't know where he keeps finding this stuff!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 08:06 pm
Aldistar wrote:
msolga wrote:
Question: Can cats & dogs communicate with each other? .

I tend to think so...and more than just the i sniff your but you sniff mine kind of way.

I have had cats and other animals seem to do a lot of communicating by just watching what they do. In fact my cat Nugget and our snake Lissi do the exact same thing you are talking about with the dog next door.

Nugget will sit next to Lissi's tank and they will both get right up to the glass and "talk". It is rather interesting to watch. There is nothing vocal, but as you watch it becomes quite clear that something is passing between the two.

Nuggets ears twitch as if she hears things that I can not and Lissi becomes very...amiable? It is hard to describe. Looking at them you get an instant feeling of two girlfriends sharing a bit of gossip.

I don't know...some people might think I'm a bit off, but I have had far to many animals do far to many things that were supposed to be impossible for me to not believe.

Hi Aldistar!

Wow, you have a pet snake! Wow! Surprised

No, I doubt you're "a bit off". (as you say. :wink: ) And it certainly sounds like you have enough experience observing these things to be an expert! Interesting!

I noticed this morning that next door's Oscar (one of the Jack Russells) has now managed to dig deeply enough (under the side fence) to almost squeeze his whole head into my yard! This is his third burrowing (to escape?) attempt. Poppy (my cat) doesn't seem remotely concerned. She was just sitting there, quietly watching his antics in a very interested way this morning! Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 05:07 pm
A couple of centimetres further and she'll simply smack his snout! Then he'll lose interest!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 05:15 pm
Aldistar wrote:
Vietnamnurse wrote:
The do have a penchant for chewing plastic ,string and ribbon from packages. Very dangerous habits! Any ideas besides hiding everything?

Hide everything. I know it kind of sucks but that is the only way I have been able to keep my cat Whisper alive. He does the same thing. Eats plastic, swallows wire twist ties, chokes on rocks... Rolling Eyes I could go on.

I have lost count of how many times I have had to reach down his throat and pop out the latest find...I don't know where he keeps finding this stuff!

I had a cat who tried to swallow a condom! Scary, that!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:40 pm
margo wrote:
A couple of centimetres further and she'll simply smack his snout! Then he'll lose interest!

Actually, I suspect Oscar might think it's a game, if she did that ... which would definitely increase his interest! Very Happy
He's a very bored dog, poor Oscar.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 05:38 pm
Hey, I just now realized I wasn't getting updates to this thread....good to know other people have similar problems with their cats swallowing things. I chased Coco around until I caught her under the bed (of course!) and pulled out about 2 feet of ribbon! It could have killed her! The only reason I chased her is because I caught a fleeting glimpse of purple out of the side of her mouth!

It is very difficult to keep all dangerous things away from Fergus and Coco. Suchot just wants to eat plastic bags...no more plastic bags! BUT A CONDOM? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 05:51 pm
Vietnamnurse wrote:
....I chased Coco around until I caught her under the bed (of course!) and pulled out about 2 feet of ribbon! It could have killed her! The only reason I chased her is because I caught a fleeting glimpse of purple out of the side of her mouth!

Crikey! Shocked

That's amazing! Surprised

Phew! Very Happy
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 05:30 am
Miss Mollie demands, and gets, her fresh air
break, regardless weather. And she doesn't
come back inside unil she's ready.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/nekonomad/nekonomad012A.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 05:33 am
That's a terrific photograph, neko. I love it! Very Happy

... & thanks for breaking The Cat Room drought. Been ages since anyone posted here!
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 05:37 am
(Whew, quick reply, mso) My pleasure. Miss Mollie is an outdoor cat, as you've probably guessed by now...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 05:42 am
neko nomad wrote:
(Whew, quick reply, mso) My pleasure. Miss Mollie is an outdoor cat, as you've probably guessed by now...

Ms Speedy, that's me, neko!

Yes, I figured she was an out-doorsy girl. But tell me, was that trough she's sitting in dug especially for her to sit in? :wink:

How is neko chan coping with the cold?
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 05:54 am
Oh, Nekochan does go out, but only in the sunshine, which we get a couple of times during the week, and then only right by the door for five minutes or so.
The path is my access to service the bird feeder, as I look after a sizeable regular clientele daily.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 06:01 am
neko nomad wrote:
Oh, Nekochan does go out, but only in the sunshine, which we get a couple of times during the week, and then only right by the door for five minutes or so.
The path is my access to service the bird feeder, as I look after a sizeable regular clientele daily.

Only in the sunshine. She's not silly! Very Happy

That's really nice, Neko: you look after the birds, too! Good for you!
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 06:06 am
Hello Olga and all of you cat lovers!

I just found another thing the felines in my house like to chew! HEAVY plastic that you store wool clothing and blankets in for the summer to keep them from getting moths. I never thought they would chew through that on my shelves in the closet! I hate to always keep doors closed, but it looks like it will be necessary.

They are making silk flowers more and more realistic now...and I have a few arrangements in vases. I spray them with BITTER LEMON otherwise they look dreadful. They find anything like that enticing.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 06:13 am
Hey there, Vietnamnurse!

Lovely to see you again! Very Happy

Those cats of yours are just mischievous trouble-makers, pure & simple! They obviously don't have enough toys to play with! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 06:32 am
It's horribly hot & sticky here tonight, so I have all the windows open to let the fresh air in. Ms Poppy thinks this is great! She appears at the window every now & then, near where my computer is located, jumps inside & then carries on as if she's absolutely starving. She then leads me (meowing all the way) to her food bowl & looks at me beseechingly. Then, when I cave in & give her an extra treat, she takes one look at it & promptly frolicks outside again! Confused
Sucked in, Olga! Rolling Eyes
Little wretch! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 12:22 pm
Nisse and Mysan are sleeping. Of course- especially Nisse must be really tired after keeping us awake during half of last night... Evil or Very Mad We should have been stricter when they were little. Too late now...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 12:11 am
urs53 wrote:
Nisse and Mysan are sleeping. Of course- especially Nisse must be really tired after keeping us awake during half of last night... Evil or Very Mad We should have been stricter when they were little. Too late now...

So what are these two doing to keep you two awake half the night, urs?

Playing & being generally naughty?

Hmmmm ... some very stern discipline might be required! :wink:
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 11:27 am
Nisse sits at the open bedroom door and scratches and complains at the same time. Or he takes - throws rather - books out of the shelves and starts 'reading'. Last night, he was sitting right next to my head, talking very loudly! He does talk a lot... Mysan usually just complains.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 01:19 pm
Here's where Nekochan is most
likely to be found on sunny winter mornings,
the window shelf by the fireplace:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/nekonomad/nekonomad015A.jpg

Looking at Nekochan and Urs'Nisse makes my eyelids so heav..v...v..vy.
0 Replies