THE NEW CAT ROOM! (or the Cat Room #2)

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:35 am
msolga wrote:
How long has he been outside? Are you worried that he's not eating his dried food?

I made him stay in last night. Not worried at all about him eating - he eats plenty, more worried that he'll run out of dry food while I'm gone. That's why I fill up a pie plate. But he knows that signal.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:48 am
snood wrote:
Right now, my two boys George and Joe are alone in my apartment, and will be until the 25th, when I come back. Five days is my absolute limit I will leave them. I fret about leaving enough fresh litter and food and water, etc. Next month, I have to leave them for 6 days, but I will have someone look in on them, freshen water, scoop litter, etc halfway through.

I was a dog person most of my life, so I think I might still be wired for that kind of dependency - but they do always seem to do just fine without me there.

No chance of a someone dropping in to say hello to them now & again, snood? I've had that job for absent friends a few times.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 02:12 pm
We are so lucky to have our neighbour who comes in to look after the cats three times a day when we are gone!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:28 am
I'm lucky that I can take ours up to my parents when we go away (though I wouldn't bother just for a weekend) - though Rosie sulks the whole time and won't have anything to do with them! (and uses very bad language Rolling Eyes ) My father gets really miffed as he's a person that virtually all cats just love!

Monster cat Paddy tried to bring a wildly flapping pigeon in this week Evil or Very Mad Nearly as big as him Rolling Eyes

I can just imagine the hoovering and banging and mspoppy watching!!!! Laughing

by the way that mouse wasn't 'the' mouse - but he has caught it now.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:43 am
Vivien

Your whole family would have to be the most devoted critter lovers on the planet! No cat of yours will ever go unattended if you're away, or need assistance of any sort. It's obvious that you've caught your love of cats from your nearest & dearest .... then you married a devotee, to boot! I think this is just lovely! Purrrrfect! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:45 am
.... but what happened to the wildy flapping pigeon then? Dare I ask?
Did it survive the ferocious Paddy attack?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 01:32 pm
Just the thought of a bird brought into the house gives me the creeps! You are very brave, Vivien!

But as msolga asked - what happened to the poor thing?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 05:17 am
From today's Chicago Tribune [frontpage and page A6]

Quote:
http://i13.tinypic.com/4zx5o9e.jpg

By Robert Mitchum
Tribune staff reporter
Published June 29, 2007

Inside the cells of every pet cat lies a history book, a story detailing the journey from the wilds of Asia to the comforts of a windowsill perch.

Combining the fields of genetics and archeology, scientists have cracked open the book to find that cat domestication occurred near the beginning of human civilization, long before many previous archeological estimates. The circumstances of this early association between man and cat may explain the friendly but tenuous truce between felines and humans.

Published Friday in the journal Science, the research used DNA from modern house cats to trace the origin of domestic cats back to a specific time and region that coincided with the settlement of humans in the Middle East region known as the Fertile Crescent.

Geneticists studied cats as a domestic pet unique in its persistent similarity to its wild ancestors. Modern cats were traced to a common ancestor: a particular species of wildcat that still lives in the same region.

"Our study was able to localize it down to one subspecies whose range included the Near East," said Oxford University zoologist Carlos Driscoll. "Within the Near East was the Fertile Crescent, which is the most likely spot for domestication to have occurred."

Scientists have long debated whether cats were independently domesticated at several regions and points in time, or whether they were first kept as pets in one civilization before being spread around the world. The identification of a single ancestral species for modern house cats supports the single-origin theory.

Driscoll and his colleagues, in a new process known as genomic archeology, compared genetic information from domesticated cats around the world to DNA from various wildcat species. To their surprise, all domestic cats studied shared certain gene sequences with the Near Eastern variety of wildcat.

Though genetic comparisons can reveal where the process likely occurred, it's less reliable as a marker of when humans began keeping cats as companions.

"The molecular clock we're using is not ticking fast enough to make estimates in that recent evolutionary time," Driscoll said. "It'd be like trying to measure a drop of water falling from a spigot with the minute hand of your watch."

In 2004, French researchers found the remains of a cat buried with a human who died roughly 9,500 years ago on the island of Cyprus, where there are no native wildcat species.

This discovery placed the association between humans and cats much further back in history than previously thought. Earlier theories speculated that Egyptians were responsible for cat domestication 4,000 to 5,000 years ago, based on the animal's appearance in art and tombs from the era.

Dating the origin of domestic cats earlier, and placing this process in the Middle East, suggests that cats played an important role in the lives of the first farmers.

"Mankind settled down into agricultural villages for the first time about 12,000 years ago, developing many domestic cereals and plants," said Stephen O'Brien, another of the study's authors. "That's about the time and exact same place that cats walked out of woods and did something unusual: act friendly."

The transition of humans from nomadic hunter-gatherers to stationary farmers drew the attention of rodents who fed on the villages' food stores. These pests, in turn, drew wildcats toward this early human society.

"Cats provided two things to early farmers: companionship and the ability to dispatch rodents that were attacking grain stores, which was critical for early farmers to get through winters," O'Brien said.

This cooperative relationship may explain why domestic cats, unlike dogs and their ancestral relatives, wolves, have not evolved very far from wildcat species.

Modern domestic cats are similar physically to wildcats, save for a wider variety of fur colors that have come from recent breeding practices. Genetically, they are "almost indistinguishable," O'Brien said, "like the difference between Italians and Germans."

In terms of behavior, cats are also different from most species kept by humans for pets or agriculture.

"Domestication isn't a one-size-fits-all process," said zooarcheologist Melinda Zeder of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. "Cats are different in that they really retain their wariness, their aloofness, their prowess as hunters."

In fact, cats may not have even been passive participants in the process of domestication. O'Brien describes the integration of cats into human culture as "one of the most successful biological experiments ever undertaken" by an animal, pointing out that while the domestic cat is thriving, with a population as high as 60 million in America alone, many wildcat species are endangered.

"I think the attitude that [domestication is] human mastery over nature, and that they were bending animals and plants to their will, is really outmoded," Zeder said.

"Really, domestication needs to be looked at as a mutualistic relationship. The cats may have had the upper hand in this relationship in the beginning and retained it to this day."
http://i7.tinypic.com/4mwies3.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:32 am
....In fact, cats may not have even been passive participants in the process of domestication. O'Brien describes the integration of cats into human culture as "one of the most successful biological experiments ever undertaken" by an animal, pointing out that while the domestic cat is thriving, with a population as high as 60 million in America alone, many wildcat species are endangered.

"I think the attitude that [domestication is] human mastery over nature, and that they were bending animals and plants to their will, is really outmoded," Zeder said.

"Really, domestication needs to be looked at as a mutualistic relationship. The cats may have had the upper hand in this relationship in the beginning and retained it to this day." .....

Thanks for the article, Walter.
Really interesting. I subscribe to that "upper hand" theory, myself! :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:56 am
Here in America the population of mountain lions (aka. cougars), is increasing. There have been sightings in the LP of Michigan, which the state DNR denies. A few mutilated farm animals seems to reduce them to liars.

Many hunters now won't go into the woods before or after dark, and bowhunters often carry sidearms (illegally) for protection against this very voracious predator.

It also isn't THAT uncommon for a turkey hunter, making calls, to be attacked by a bobcat.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 03:34 pm
msolga wrote:
Vivien

.... then you married a devotee, to boot! I think this is just lovely! Purrrrfect! Very Happy

no, he wasn't - he was always a dog person. Cats are welllll capable of converting the non-believer though!

Our first cat he brought in as a lost kitten found in our garden - I was still in bed and he brought up this skinny little grey thing with odd ginger patches - I fed her - she washed herself - and turned into a little white cat with ginger patches and a silly little lopsided Hitler moustache! No one claimed her so we kept her, but sadly she was a cat of very little brain and got lost twice - the second time we never found her Crying or Very sad I just hope she found another home.

Next cat, Timmy. was brought to the door a few years later by local lads and we took him in 'overnight' -'we're not keeping it' said himself - I agreed (with fingers crossed Twisted Evil ) knowing we were! anyway by morning no more was ever said about taking him to the RSPCA!

Casey was handed to my daughters 5 years later as a tiny fluffy long haired bundle .... with diarrhoea. The people said she was stray but she'd obviously been kicked out because she was matted and grubby - long haired cats are hard work. 'we aren't keeping it' said himself 'No' I said (thinking oh yes we are!) - He was watching snooker, she sat watching it intently (after a bath) and then tried to get the ball out of the pocket on the screen - that was it! he was charmed, nothing more was said about not keeping 'it'. He was utterly heartbroken when she died, which was why he didn't want Rosie- and you know that saga!

Paddy is the only cat we've ever deliberately gone out to get. It's nice for himself that he loves him best by about 1000% as all our others favoured me. Rose loves him dearly and puts up with being held but never snuggles up with him like she does with me. Paddy is a BOY he says and doesn't do this snuggling business Rolling Eyes

I don't think the poor pigeon lived Crying or Very sad and he had a blackbird yesterday Crying or Very sad . He's got a new collar and is getting an extra bell tomorrow Evil or Very Mad .

Rosie has actually stayed appreciative since her adventure
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 10:28 pm
Ah, I can see why you call him "soft heart", Vivien! I loved these stories. Very Happy

But as for Paddy & the birds ..... <sigh> Five bells, maybe? It's very distressing, I know. <sigh> Luckily for me, Poppy is more of a watcher of birds, though perhaps she fantasizes about being a big-time hunter? :wink:

I'm delighted that you & himself are now (finally! At last!) getting the recognition you deserve from your Rosie cat! And quite right, too! Where else could she possibly get a deal like she gets at your place? :wink:
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 10:40 am
five bells - it's an idea! he'd sound like a Morris Dancer!!!

I've just done an interview for a local (posh) glossy magazine - I'm going to be the featured artist for August Shocked I think they'll mention the upcoming show (in August) so that will be excellent Smile

The art critic in the local paper has been really kind to me and I've featured in ads in glossy magazines by the gallery but not an article .... on moi !!!!

back to the real world .... tomorrow I agreed to cover morning classes for a colleague on holiday - which means I leave home at 7.30 am and get home at 10pm Sad as I normally do afternoon there and evening at another college nearby. And I feel tired NOW!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 11:19 pm
Fame at last, Vivien! Congratulations! Very Happy (This posh magazine wouldn't have an internet site, would it? I'd love to see the article!) I also love the thought of saying something like: "Well, of course I knew her before she became so incredibly famous!" Very Happy

Good luck for the marathon tomorrow! I hope the next day is a rostered day off!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 01:33 am
I'll look into whether or not they have a website - it isn't until August - if it is ok I'll scan it and put it on my website on the reviews page anyway so I can always send a link to that for you Smile

I'm going to start a thread in the original art section with a picture of the series I'm working on if you are interested.

Must go in a sec as Rosie hasn't had breakfast yet and is trying to pretend she's fading away - hmmm unlikely! not with that little saggy plump tummy Rolling Eyes (Paddy likes to go out to see what's happening in the world before breakfast)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 05:26 pm
Yes, if you find a link, please do send it to me, Vivien! Love to read what fabulous things they say about you! Very Happy

I will be following your A2K thread, too.

Gosh, you're clever! Very Happy

A freezing cold morning here. My nasty cold lingers. I'm not long out of bed & still in my pyjamas (plus many jumpers!) I think my forehead has frozen!
But can I make the bed? No, I can't. You-know-who has decided it's the very best place to be & has taken to long, long sleep-ins on these cold winter days. I wish I had her life of leisure. <sigh>

Greetings to all animal & human inhabitants of your household, Vivien,
- Olga
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 12:26 am
Crunch time at the homestead: Ms Poppy becomes quite hysterical (still, after all this time! Rolling Eyes ) & flees outside whenever the heating is turned on here. I've been quite sympathetic & obliging till now, heating the house in short bursts while she is outside, then turning it off. (Saves energy, too!) But today is absolutely freezing, I have a raging cold & I'm being stubborn. So she's sitting outside, on the back doorstep. (Under cover, though.) I go out & say "hello" every now & then. I'll probably weaken a bit as night falls, though ....
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 10:11 am
oh dear!!!! let's hope she stops being so stubborn and decides warmth and msolga, even with strange noise, are better than cold doorsteps!

Look after yourself and take it easy.

Sometimes ours decide that my computer chair is a nice place to settle and it has to be tipped to 45 degrees before they give up hanging on and let me have it!

It's cold here too - I got home late lunchtime but msrosie hasn't even surfaced to say hello and it's now 5 o'clock Rolling Eyes The pair of them are tucked up in their separate boxes upstairs.

How is the work situation? I hope you are taking time off when you feel ill?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 04:20 am
Vivien, I've come to the conclusion she rather likes/prefers the great outdoors ... even on cold, windy & wet days (like today & yesterday). She's really pleased when I go outside & say g'day & spend some time with her. Before I get really cold & head back inside. Brrrrrrrrrr . She always comes in for the night & sleeps on her favourite spot on the couch. She's a funny, independent little critter. I can't figure her out

The ducted heating really isn't that loud. Maybe it's the heat she doesn't like? Oh I give up!!!

What do you mean it's cold in England? It's summer! It's not allowed to be cold! I like the idea of your two tucked up in their respective boxes, sleeping away the day! What a life!Very Happy

The work situation? I believe I'll be doing a spot of re-training (into a different field of education) before too long. More later.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2007 04:03 pm
We have the heat on here in Germany, too, msolga. Summer.... hmpf.... It's good that I have Nisse and Mysan at night for some warmth!
0 Replies