A Digression Thread: or old furniture in a new house.

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 07:40 am
Well, I guess it had to happen.

Those who know me from Abuzz know that I like to be silly and to play with words.

So - this is a thread for NOT sticking to any point - it is a thread for wandering amongst the byways and alleys of thought - for meandering, dilly-dallying, rabbiting on - being witty, whimsical, wanton and wascally.

Feel free to take off your shoes, corsets and ties - loosen your belts, your restraints and your accustomed habits of thinking - come in, sit down, settle in and be silly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 40,991 • Replies: 767

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 07:56 am
Dlowan- You mention corsets. As a young woman I wore a girdle, a veritable "iron maiden". It had satin sides, a zipper, and two inch thick steels down the front. When I was out to dinner, invariably, somewhere between the soup and the main course, I would run into the ladies' room, and unzip the zipper. If I didn't, I was sure to have my meal back up on me.

Why on earth did we ever go along with this torture?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 07:59 am
LOL Well I used to wear briefs.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 07:59 am
O Ye'll take the high road and I'll take de low one
And I'll be digressin' afore ye
And me and my reason will never meet again
On the bonnie bonnie threads of dlowan... :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 08:06 am
Do you think our sofas look good here? I am a little unsure about how all the strange bits and pieces from Abuzz look.

There seem to be lots of old mouse nests, and squirrel dreys and owls and old books and various cats and scribbled on and crumpled bits of paper and souveneirs from Canterbury and fairy wands from Midsummer Night's Dream and some nasty doodles from when I have been grumpy and lots of glasses and chewed pencils and some very strange portraits of people and a lot of leftover giggles and smiles!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 08:10 am
Cosets! Machines of torture and humiliation designed to make middle class women weak and useless!

I mean corsets.

Cossets are quite different .I could go a good cosset right now. Cosseting is nice! Warm! I would like a posset to cosset me! A sleeping posset, for lo I am very tired and yet cannot sleep, and I am becoming a sounding brass and a tinkling cymbal!

All for want of a good cosset and a posset!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 08:11 am
Oooooooooooh - we are famous! We parted Jjorge and his reason!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 08:13 am
As a young man, the disappearance of the girdle was to my mind the greatest benefit of women's liberation. No bras didn't matter, they're easy to deal with--but girdles, the most passionate woman could lose interest by the time you'd dealt with that nonsense.

Dlowan, i would posit cossetting you, but i think eBeth would deposit a corset on my middle, and that would be the end of that . . .

heeheeheeheeheehee

okbye
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 08:13 am
"Corsets that Cosset." If this were 1955, and I sent that to an ad agency, I could have made a fortune!

Oh, to be at the right place at the right time!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 08:14 am
Er - craven - you USED to wear brief?!

That doesn't mean your ....er.....boys ....are "out there", does it?

Oh say it ain't so!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 08:19 am
Sigh, ya never heard of boxers debums? I might be "out there", but Mr Happy and Co. be corralled.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 08:24 am
We could try to bring in the cosseting corset Phoenix - with velcro fastenings for the fumble-fingered modern man. Perhaps it could have a warming mechanism in the ribs for winter and a cooling agent for summer...an aromatherapy attachment for the difficult day... a massage mechanism.........

Although..... come to think of it .... I do wonder if the undoing difficulties of the old corset DID make for a smarter gene pool over all? Hmmmmmmmmmm?

Setanta - I bow to your judgement in the matter of cosseting.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 08:30 am
Craven! The noive!

Not know boxers?

In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminder of every blow that laid him down
Or cut him 'til he cried out in his anger and his pain
"I am leaving, I am leaving," but the fighter still remains.

Though WHAT that has to do with your undies I CANNOT imagine..... still, I am a very delicately nurtured gel....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 08:35 am
Well, sleepy or not, to everything there is a season and a time for every porpoise under heaven - and it is my time to lay down, not my time to get up..... or to blow stuff out of my breathing hole, for that matter.....

Sometimes I wish I were a sea otter, although male sea otters kidnap cubs and will not give them (the cubs) back to their mummies until they (the mummies) have given them (the males) their (the mummies') food., which ought to be otterly beyond the pale.....

Good night all!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:07 am
Rabbits smokin fags, wots next?
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:23 am
dlowan craven phoenix setana et al

Is this a new day? or a nude day?
All these ties and bras and corsets on the floor!
Hmm 'are you out there?' I hear dlowan say
(meaning) 'Are you wearing tighty whiteys anymore?'
It depends, some days I'm just uptight in white
and other days I'm swinging -ask no more.

dlowan

Though reason and I are really well acquainted
I sometimes view things through a differant prism
And on THIS thread my views are quite untainted
By logic enthymeme or syllogism!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:26 am
Golly. All this talk of boxers - where the heck is little_k? She's got a boxer.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:26 am
A certain mid-evil king, ere he set off for the crusades, thought to leave behind the key to his queen's chastity belt, against the possibility he mightn't survive the ordeal. Rather than leaving the key on the coffee table or in other such conspicuous situ, he summoned his true and faithful steward and, instructing him to release the queen in the event he, himself, failed to return to do the job first-hand, passed said key to said steward.

Now, no sooner was this monarch out of sight of his own moated pile, than his squire called attention to a cloud of dust coming on sharply behind them. The king, used to reining after a fashion, did so now with dispatch. Soon the dustcloud arrived and cleared to reveal the heretofore mentioned steward.

"Mille perdonnes, my liege.", says said faithful steward. "It doth appear that inadvertently, though understandably, given the urgency of your mission, you gave me the wrong flippin' key."
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 11:21 am
dlowan wrote:

Though WHAT that has to do with your undies I CANNOT imagine..... still, I am a very delicately nurtured gel....

Deb,

Take a deep breath, this is gonna get your feminist underpanties in a twist.

Briefs are torture Deb. Not on the scale of what women have had to wear but torture nonetheless.

Now go ahead and give me my lecture. Yeah, nobody forced men to bind their feet, waist or whatnot. But it's still torture.
Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 11:24 am
Actually, Craven, that is a matter of individual experience. I prefer briefs, of the "bikini" variety, if i were underwear at all. Boxers are the torture instruments--we were issued boxers in the Army, and i wore them about two days before i shredded all six pair they had given me. My "dangly bits" kept getting caught and twisted in the leg of the boxers. Boxers should be left to young ladies who want to make a fashion statement despite being inarticulate . . .
0 Replies