A Digression Thread: or old furniture in a new house.

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 02:56 am
@farmerman,
What you are describing there is a very bad English/Irish breakfast.

B&B Landladies have a good reputation for being old Dragons who skimp on quality to maximise profits, and prepare and cook hours in advance, purely for their convenience and not for customer satisfaction.

If you were to go into a good, honest cafe (pronounced caff) and order a full English, you would probably enjoy most of it, and it would fill the gap between your belly and your backbone until your evening meal.

Sixties music on the jukebox, steamy windows, crowded tables, steaming mugs of builders tea.....what more could one want to start the day?

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 06:05 am
@Lordyaswas,
My problem was that, in each case, we stayed in several hotels at locations arranged by my clients. In Ireland It was the Dublin Hotel, a nice hotel with a grand old dining room (We really had some good Indian food at suppertime). In UK we stayed at several places in and around Manchester and across the border in a little town called Umfries . The SCottih hotel was by far the best it had some really great hot porridges and several kind of breakfast meats and I could get eggs scrambled with onions without any wise cracks.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 08:04 am
@farmerman,
Not having been to the USA mainland, I can't really compare, but it would probably be a good guess that this type of customer service would be better in the USA.
You can get brilliant breakfasts of all sorts, healthy and otherwise, in many places here now, but a fair few chain hotels and B&B's are still probably living in the past and need to get their act together.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 03:39 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I thought they loved fried green ones? But don't they crumb them or something?

Personally, I do not like grilled tomatoes much.

Yes and yes. I think it's been replaced by take away pizza.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 06:19 pm
@Wilso,
Quote:
Now why are Americans so opposed to fried tomatoes?
Taking a beautiful vegetable like a tomato nd then dipping it in breading and then dunking it in hot fat is not a way to best serve up this wonderful veggie.
Southerners eat the fried green ones to retain an air of frugality'
" Im so damn frugal Ill even eat this shittin green thing all bredded and frieed up;sho nuff"

BLAHHH

I had Fried green ones in a restaurant in Fla here they served a "meat and three" lunch offering and all the damn side dishes were fuckin fried in lard.So I tried the FGT's and was spitting that taste outta my mouth for a while. Took three slices a key lime pie to straighten me out.

Jeezus, its amazing we even have any people left down south. They should all be dead of clogged pipes.
dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 06:27 pm
@farmerman,
In Oz there's no crumbing or deep frying.

You cut your tomato in half and grill it under a griller, or put it in the pan for a bit with a little bit of oil.

I'm still not a fan, though.

I like 'em raw or made into a sauce.

The sight of a grilled tomato on my breakfast plate is not one which gives me joy....but I eat then dutifully because they are GOOD for you.

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 06:38 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
or put it in the pan for a bit with a little bit of oil

Forensics calls that frying.
I too love tomato, celerey and carrot juice (my wife makes a fake V-8 that is better than the real stuff. She uses a Vitamix that can grind cinder blox and then we serve it mixed with St Pauli Girl NA.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 06:42 pm
OMG!!! This thread isn't dead!!!??

The horror...the horror...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 06:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
But you're here, which makes it good, so what's going on, on the islands
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 07:46 pm
@ossobuco,
What's going on in the Islands?

http://able2know.org/topic/264194-1
ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 08:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks/link
dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 08:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Which island? There's so many. I live on one.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 09:05 pm
@dlowan,
Same here.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 09:21 pm
@Lordyaswas,
England and/or Australia are to 'island' as the Queen Mary or Titanic are to a birchbark canoe. Osso is, of course, referring to the Sandwich Islands,
ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 09:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks for the defense. I meant, natch, the island that Merry is on, or possibly crossing to, on occasion, since I addressed it to him.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 10:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

England and/or Australia are to 'island' as the Queen Mary or Titanic are to a birchbark canoe. Osso is, of course, referring to the Sandwich Islands,

All our islands, big or small, are less than amoeba from Alpha Centauri.

Except possibly the Sandwich Islands. I do like a good sandwich.

But how are Hawaii and the Sandwich Islands connected, prithee tell?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2015 11:01 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
But how are Hawaii and the Sandwich Islands connected, prithee tell?

The island of Hawaii (hereabouts generally referred to as the Big Island) is the largest of the islands in the archipelago which Capt. Cook, HMRN, christened as the Sandwich Islands to honor his benefactor and patron, the Earl of Sandwich. The entire archipelago constitutes the entity nowadays known as the 50th state of the United State of America. This state is called Hawaii and the sobriquet of Sandwich Islands is now an archaism comparable to Terra Australis Incognita, a term also coined by the self-same Capt. Cook, I do believe. It tends to surprise mainland-based Americans (and others) that the quite modern city of Honolulu, the state capital, is not, in fact, even located on the Big Island of Hawaii but, rather, on the island of Oahu, a much smaller piece of real estate.

The Big Island, in fact, is big enough so that it could contain the square mileage of all the other islands combined and still have some room left over. While all the islands in this archipelago are of volcanic origin, Hawaii is the only island that still has active volcanoes (four of 'em) operating. It is the home of the most active volcano on this planet, Kilauea.

For me, the Big Island is the only real Hawaii. Oahu and Maui are for tourists, They love all the phony displays of pseudo-native culture. Hawaii and the westernmost island of Kauai is where you need to if you want to see the real Hawaii.

All other questions will be referred to Wikipedia (the name of which, btw, is derived from the Hawaiian word wiki, meaning 'quickly.')
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 01:09 am
@dlowan,
Alpha Centauri has amoeba?

Does Gunga know about this?
dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 05:12 am
@Lordyaswas,
Does Gunga know about anything?

Is Gunga still here? For real?

Still making a din....if you don't have him on ignore?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2015 05:15 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I thought something of the suchlike.

0 Replies