Rethinking Homosexuality

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:13 pm
Or each broad category would have to be decided by a judge eventually.

Category one: Should gay marriage be legal? (In process.)

Category two: Should close blood relations be allowed to marry? (Already decided, unlikely to change significantly.)

And what we're discussing now is category one.

What is wrong with homosexuality?

Why should it be illegal for a homosexual couple to marry?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:13 pm
(Or become a Mormon).
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:15 pm
Hey Real Life,

I'm doing ok. I'm just watching Lash duck the question of who THEY are right now.

Seems I have been told that once someone divides us up as US and THEY or WE and THEM the discrimination begins.
0 Replies

mystery girl

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:19 pm
real life wrote:

The problem with law (and marriage is sanctioned by law) is that it must be consistent.

If you are going to enshrine your 'two consenting adults' standard into law, then you must be consistent. But you are all for exceptions based on your personal perception of 'power' and so forth. So each case would have to be decided by a judge eventually.

RL, you haven't responded to either of the points I made. Which is not to say they are unassailable; nothing is. And your assertion tha "power is in the eye of the beholder" is merely that: an assertion. It's a false one. Adults have power over children, and adults living in a household with children or who have frequent contact with them in an intimate (meaning familial) way have much more sway and influence.

There is nothing wrong with drawing lines. Why here vs. there? You have to look at the macro picture. Law by its nature deals in broad strokes, so you have to look at what would likely affect most of the people. Two committed adults leads to stability both for a family and for society in general. A committed goat hasn't much to offer.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:19 pm
Oh, dear, another HBO series these people will avoid:

http://www.hbo.com/biglove/?ntrack_para1=feat_main_image
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:21 pm
I don't know how many people I've met in my lifetime who wanted to marry their close relatives -- besides the fact that they can't stand their close relatives. As for a goat, real time is working on that one.
0 Replies

mystery girl

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:23 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I don't know how many people I've met in my lifetime who wanted to marry their close relatives -- they can't stand their close realtives. As for a goat, real time is working on that one.

And imagine the fallout when a relative-marriage doesn't work - the whole family would be ripped apart. Now with goats, you don't have these problems. Who cares if your ex's goat-buddies bleat at you when you walk by? What are they going to do, headbutt you to death? I'm thinking goat marriages might ought to go on the books.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:24 pm
THESE people, Lightwizard? Who are THESE people? (Caps for emphasis only. Laughing )
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:26 pm
Mystery girl,

http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/laughing1.gif Love the sense of humor! Welcome to A2K by the way! Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:29 pm
CAPS on the Internet has never changed -- it means one is shouting. There are italics available to stress phrases or words.

"These" people seem intent on volunteering for anything, well, unless everyone else just stepped backwards.
0 Replies

mystery girl

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:29 pm
Thanks, MA. Extra Medium gave me the link to one of the forums, and I just started poking around. :-)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:31 pm
Lightwizard,

Italics, huh? Gotcha. Will try to get in that habit. You mean these people as in the people that go on these types of shows?

Extra Medium's pretty cool.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:38 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Hey Real Life,

I'm doing ok. I'm just watching Lash duck the question of who THEY are right now.

Seems I have been told that once someone divides us up as US and THEY or WE and THEM the discrimination begins.

How demented and utterly clueless can one person possibly be? They is a ******* often used pronoun. There are approximately 20,000 "they"s this thread.

While you're presenting this to the brain trust for analysis, I demand to know what you meant by that "and"!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:42 pm
She might have thought "they" and "them" were gigantic ants.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:42 pm
Could have been.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:48 pm
mystery girl wrote:
Now with goats, you don't have these problems. Who cares if your ex's goat-buddies bleat at you when you walk by? What are they going to do, headbutt you to death? I'm thinking goat marriages might ought to go on the books.

I can see it now headlines blaring:

Newly married couple Mr. & Mrs. Scape had their baby hybrid goat/human stolen out right of the crib last evening.

Christian right winger Billy Manger claims responsibility saying he will not let the young one become a scapegoat.

Christian activists have set up a 24 hour vigil around the Scape's home singing "Away in a Manger".

More news at 11:00!
0 Replies

mystery girl

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:54 pm
Chumly wrote:

I can see it now headlines blaring:

Newly married couple Mr. & Mrs. Scape had their baby hybrid goat/human stolen out right of the crib last evening.

Christian right winger Billy Manger claims responsibility saying he will not let the young one become a scapegoat.

More news at 11:00.

Ah, yes, Baby Faunus.
http://www.costumeuniverse.com/prodspics/tomarmagoatDG5849.jpg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:56 pm
Christian activists have set up a 24 hour vigil around the Scape's home singing "Away in a Manger"

More news at 11:00!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:57 pm
Oh I see, Lash. It's ok for you to use the term they but if someone else does it, then what Shocked they are wrong?

Thank you for proving my point.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:58 pm
You haven't taken your meds for a few days again.

Your only point is on your head.
0 Replies