Rethinking Homosexuality

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:43 pm
I would like to know who THEY are?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:44 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
The key is consenting adults. There is no victim when both parties are adults and consent to have a sexual relationship. They have the rational and reasonable right to be able to legally bond that relationship. It is coming and no matter what, those laws against gay marriage will be struck down as unconstitutional. Better bite the bullet now.

So, based on that:

Parent-adult child

Grandparent-adult age grandchild

Aunt-nephew

Siblings

polygamy

group marriage

Which of these disqualified in your view (if any)?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:45 pm
1. I am.
2. I am.
3. No way!

Who is THEY?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:46 pm
I wouldn't even give this the courtesy of a response. He hasn't answered any questions. He's been disproven and refuses to acknowledge it.
0 Replies

mystery girl

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:47 pm
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Those are not analogous to homosexual marriage, which does not envision plural marriage or the marriage of people closely related by blood. There was not a working definition of marriage being the legal contract between a man and a woman until people became paranoid about the possibility of homosexual marriage. In fact, homosexual marriage envisions no change in the concept of two consenting adults joining in a contractual relationship.

I am not surprised, though, to see a fuandamentalist fanatic attempting to equate homosexuality to such ideas, as it is implicit in fundy rage on this topic that they consider homosexuality to be perversion.

Hi Setanta,

siblings

parent & adult age child

aunt-nephew

grandparent-grandchild (adult age)

These are all consenting adults. Why would you not allow them to marry?

Don't give me some rationale for prohibition about being related by blood (doesn't that come from the Bible?)

You are not consistent if you make such exceptions. They are all consenting adults, aren't they?

Increased likelihood of birth defects is the traditional answer (which would theoretically multiply exponentially with the greater number of close-relation marriages within an extended family).

In addition, you have a huge potential for abuse - grooming a child until s/he is 18. Adults in a family have access to (inherently vulnerable) children in ways that no other adults do. Blurring those lines is an invitation to disaster.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:49 pm
Animals cannot consent. Period.

In a family situation, there are power issues that substantially impair informed consent. That's also verifiable and not just my opinion.

There are also genetic issues that are not present with homosexual couples.

Meanwhile, it does not say anything about what is actually wrong with homosexuality. You don't like it -- we're well aware of that. The Bible says it's bad -- but the Bible says a lot of other things are bad too that you nonethless don't listen to. You say it's unhealthy -- but the statistics you trot out show that many other demographic groups have higher rates of unhealthiness (depending on the specific issue, such as suicide, or AIDS, etc.), so what should be done about them? Should white men not be allowed to marry because they're more likely to commit suicide? Should black women not be allowed to marry because they're getting AIDS at an alarming rate?

You keep skipping from one thing to the other, but none of them hold water.

It comes down to, apparently, your own personal revulsion.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:55 pm
I take that back, now I see he is trolling.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:57 pm
sozobe wrote:
Animals cannot consent. Period.

In a family situation, there are power issues that substantially impair informed consent. That's also verifiable and not just my opinion.

There are also genetic issues that are not present with homosexual couples.

Meanwhile, it does not say anything about what is actually wrong with homosexuality. You don't like it -- we're well aware of that. The Bible says it's bad -- but the Bible says a lot of other things are bad too that you nonethless don't listen to. You say it's unhealthy -- but the statistics you trot out show that many other demographic groups have higher rates of unhealthiness (depending on the specific issue, such as suicide, or AIDS, etc.), so what should be done about them? Should white men not be allowed to marry because they're more likely to commit suicide? Should black women not be allowed to marry because they're getting AIDS at an alarming rate?

You keep skipping from one thing to the other, but none of them hold water.

It comes down to, apparently, your own personal revulsion.

Actually there is a whole 'animal rights' movement that holds that animals have (or at least should have) every human right, including marriage. How they are able to divine that the pet has consented is a little beyond my expertise, but they will explain it to you if you'll listen.

The 'power issues' seem to be in the eye of the beholder. So who are you to prevent these consenting adults anyway?

And if they don't want to have kids , the genetic issue is a non issue.

I'm just trying to see if you are consistent in your beliefs, which apparently you are not. Your decision to grant or withhold marriage privilege seems rather arbitrary, and deciding something on a case by case basis is what you'd be reduced to really quick.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:57 pm
(He might have trouble paying attention -- he's got that image in his mind of his parents f**cking).
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:58 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I take that back, now I see he is trolling.

I guess this means you can't answer.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:02 pm
It means you don't merit an answer, because YOU don't answer anything.

Troll.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:02 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I would like to know who THEY are?

I think that's anyone that one wants to paint horns on, at any given time. Laughing

How are you doing?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:04 pm
I went back on the forum -- you've been getting answers. Mine would be the same. Keep trolling along.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:04 pm
Ooof. A lot of problems in that last post, but I'll focus on one:

None of this is my decision. Though I may wish to be, I am not the Omnipotent Queen of the Universe. (On second thought, I wouldn't want to be, I'm too busy already.)

There is something specific being discussed here, and being legislated around America. SHOULD GAY AND LESBIAN MARRIAGES BE LEGAL? And Is there anything wrong with homosexuality?

Saying "well but that's kind of like THIS and THIS is bad" doesn't cut it. That could as easily go the other way -- the closest parallel to a homosexual marriage is a heterosexual marriage, and as we all know heterosexual marriage is awesome, so therefore homosexual marriage is awesome.

But you're not buying that, right? Can't have it both ways.

So we're back at, what IS wrong with homosexuality? What IS wrong with homosexual marriage?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:05 pm
Lash wrote:
It means you don't merit an answer, because YOU don't answer anything.

Troll.

I must have missed your question. What was it?

Real Life
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:05 pm
(Shhsss -- he's trying to get that image out of his head of parents f**cking).
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:08 pm
sozobe wrote:
Ooof. A lot of problems in that last post, but I'll focus on one:

None of this is my decision. Though I may wish to be, I am not the Omnipotent Queen of the Universe. (On second thought, I wouldn't want to be, I'm too busy already.)

There is something specific being discussed here, and being legislated around America. SHOULD GAY AND LESBIAN MARRIAGES BE LEGAL? And Is there anything wrong with homosexuality?

Saying "well but that's kind of like THIS and THIS is bad" doesn't cut it. That could as easily go the other way -- the closest parallel to a homosexual marriage is a heterosexual marriage, and as we all know heterosexual marriage is awesome, so therefore homosexual marriage is awesome.

But you're not buying that, right? Can't have it both ways.

So we're back at, what IS wrong with homosexuality? What IS wrong with homosexual marriage?

The problem with law (and marriage is sanctioned by law) is that it must be consistent.

If you are going to enshrine your 'two consenting adults' standard into law, then you must be consistent. But you are all for exceptions based on your personal perception of 'power' and so forth. So each case would have to be decided by a judge eventually.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:09 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
(Shhsss -- he's trying to get that image out of his head of parents f**cking).

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:09 pm
So, the blacks need to be 3/5 again.

Horse and buggy mentality.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:10 pm
There are now no sodomy laws on the books in regards to same sex. There are laws regarding all the other circumstances you have cited. Get the laws changed and then you too can marry your pet goat.
0 Replies