Life: Looking Back, Looking Forward

Lash

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 10:22 pm
I don't know if this will work, but I have a seamstress who does miraculous work. I think I am settled on this.
http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_detail.jsp?gid=1&sfid=50930&f1=Strapless
I may use a taupe-ish champagne color for the bottom, but LOVE the pockets...and the white bodice ...and the sparkly belt.
Here's the other one: http://www.priscillaofboston.com/dress_detail.jsp?gid=1&sfid=50897&f1=Strapless The boob part is a bit perplexing, but a little adjustment would make it great.
Which do you like? I'm going to start getting my plans together here...

OK, the links don't exactly take you to the specific dress. When you get to the opening page, the two dresses are PL264 and 4315 if you feel like putting them in the search thingie.
sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 06:46 am
@Lash,
Um... congratulations!!!

I believe I missed an announcement... unless that is the announcement?

You link took me to the general "Priscilla of Boston" page rather than the specific dress for some reason.... There are some beauts though!

Edit just saw the postscript... back in a minute...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 06:50 am
@Lash,
Wow! Very pretty!

Would you do it with a more ivory bodice? The one in the picture is more platinum/ silvery, which I think wouldn't totally work with a champagne bottom... it could.

I do like the belt, and yeah the pockets are cool!
Lash

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 12:52 pm
@sozobe,
Yay, thanks Soz! I think you're right.

We were engaged last Thanksgiving. Our date is late March. I haven't told anybody...because I'm finding out that I'm terribly superstitious - for lack of a better word. I just don't want to share the date until I know everything...where, what kind of, ... I'm afraid the minute the wedding date leaves my lips, I lose control...the whole thing starts being pricked and prodded by the interests of other people... I don't want to have to "endure" my wedding. It's the most wonderful day of my life, aside from the births of my children. I'm a bit protective of it.

I'd really like to be alone with him in a beautiful place outdoors...on the beach in one of the breathtaking coves with an officiant and a photographer. I guess the photog could be our witness... Anyway, I'm due to whine about, agonize over, and plan it here...laughing...

Soz, you're very sweet.
sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 12:56 pm
@Lash,
Oh yay! Late March, that's nice... daffodils, newness.

Last Thanksgiving! That's almost a year!

I totally get what you mean about losing control of the day, though.

Looking forward to reading along with whatever you're willing to share...!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 01:14 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I'd really like to be alone with him in a beautiful place outdoors...on the beach in one of the breathtaking coves with an officiant and a photographer.

how luverly...you are gonna be absolutely fabulous ((L))... wherever ye be, when in love, you're day will be yours and his - and so special

gorgeous dresses... <sigh>

enjoy your planning... ENJOY IT, no need to endure anything - your day, your way

<'heh - well, his day too, but sooooooooooo "your day"> Wink

have FUN with the details!
xxxx

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 05:47 pm
So, finally have an interview Friday - but not a "teacher" position,....an Instructional Aide in Language Arts. My credentials are taking forever and per the Credentialing Commission, will take at least two more months... So, I applied for a Classified position. Still. this is a foot in the door and close association with teaching trends here, while I test and possibly take a class here or there to bring myself up to CA standards.

So, interview soon...I'm pulling together interview chutzpah.

Reading about the school, poring over their website... Pulling together portfolio.

I guess I need a few lesson plans I taught in the portfolio - resume, letters of recommendation, Teaching Philosophy, ... Wonder what else is good in Teacher Portfolio? Any ideas appreciated. (Since I haven't taught yet, I don't have much in the way of worksheets, assessments and the like...)
Lash

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 05:47 pm
@Lash,
Also, looking over general teacher interview questions...
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 05:55 pm
@Lash,
Are you already living in CA, Lash? I somehow missed the move Embarrassed

I am not a teacher, but what's always good on a resume (when you apply for
a public job) is time spent doing community service.
Lash

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 06:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yep, CJ. I've been in CA for about 4 1/2 months... Thanks. I've been too busy with school to donate time, but I can add what I did a long time ago, I guess..
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:15 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_p0lbEuKzk
a bookmarker for me today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvJpMR_puY
to remind me where I was
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIkWJZf33UY
Wink
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 08:59 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

So, finally have an interview Friday - but not a "teacher" position,....an Instructional Aide in Language Arts. My credentials are taking forever and per the Credentialing Commission, will take at least two more months... So, I applied for a Classified position. Still. this is a foot in the door and close association with teaching trends here, while I test and possibly take a class here or there to bring myself up to CA standards.

So, interview soon...I'm pulling together interview chutzpah.

Reading about the school, poring over their website... Pulling together portfolio.

I guess I need a few lesson plans I taught in the portfolio - resume, letters of recommendation, Teaching Philosophy, ... Wonder what else is good in Teacher Portfolio? Any ideas appreciated. (Since I haven't taught yet, I don't have much in the way of worksheets, assessments and the like...)

I'm excited for you, Lash. Prolly in large part because I'll be in a similar situation beating the bricks for a job in not too long.
Joeblow

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:45 pm
@Lash,
Are you still looking for feedback? Sorry, mine’s singularly unhelpful because I can’t decide which one I like best. Just based on the stills and a gut reaction, I preferred the first one, but then I watched the runway videos for both, a few times, and I like the second choice a lot…maybe even more. But the bodice on the second looks like it was made for an AAA cup to my eye. Holy. I really like the belt with the first. I so wish I could see them on you! Have you had a chance to try them on?

Lash

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:24 pm
@snood,
Thank you!! I'll be beaming you good stuff when it's your turn! Please keep us posted!

I'll also do a write up of the questions they ask - and any pointers I can give people seeking jobs - at least in the school system.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:28 pm
@Joeblow,
Oh sugar! I have to get a knock-off sewn by a wonderful family seamstress. I'd never be able to afford either of those. And I agree with you on the tiny-bosomed second one...but I bet my lady can make the bodice big enough for the 'girls.' Thanks for any input, Joeblow!
Joeblow

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:38 am
@Lash,
I couldn't hem a curtain. I hate bobbins. But it's fantastic that you have a seamstress capable of creating such beauty. Have you decided?
Lash

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 08:53 pm
@Joeblow,
Nope. I think we're putting wedding on the back burner for now. We talked about pushing back til June...and then decided against that... I don't think March seems right, though. I'll report back when we feel solid about a date.

But, Rossi is a miracle worker. I have no doubt she could knock off a truly lovely dress.
I hope some people will give opinion about my latest debacle. I have an admittedly weird phobia. I hate having my picture taken. I mean, in some situations, I really vibe with the natives who feel like their soul is being wrenched from them. I feel physically ill about being in a picture; I have felt this way since I was in high school. Other times, when I don't feel quite so awful about it - I do a headjob on myself and power through it. I detest being a spectacle over it - but jesus christ - who is it hurting? Can't I make this decision? Isn't it my ******* business if and when I have my picture taken?

So: I, embarrassed but resolutely, tell a relative of my fiance this in no uncertain terms a few times when she's milling about, focusing me in a shot. I try to be self-effacing: I mean, I KNOW it's odd, but I damn well expect people who want to be in my life to give me purview over my own ****.

So, one day after one of these anti-pic conversations, we go to the beach - and I take off my top and lay out - she hides, takes a pic of me and posts it in a photo collection site, where other people can see it. In secret and against my expressed will. She defends herself by saying 1. She forgot to delete it before posting, and 2. It was only viewable to family.

I don't give a ****. She never should have taken the picture in the first place - and among her "family" is her granddaughter, who's mother (I hate her) can QUITE easily see. Boobs are not up, but I don't care.

So, I don't even want to talk to her. Ever. I don't fake well. If I'm mad at you, or don't like you - there's no way I can hide it. So, I haven't talked to her. I don't foresee ever feeling differently about this. She did it on purpose. Trust and good will: shattered. If it was a "friend," who'd done this, I'd have said "**** you," and let her drop off the earth. But, she's a very close relation to my fiance, and he really wants this repaired.

This is probably laughable to people - and it's ok: laugh. I almost laugh at the oddity of being so weird about pics - but at the end of the day - if someone you give damn about has this quirk that they tell you - you either care enough about the relationship and their feelings to defer to them - or you don't. I know I defer to a hell of a lot for people I care about.

My fiance has had a lot of crap bubble up in his life recently (child custody horrors) - and I am LOATHE to star in Family Disaster: Part Deux in his life - but goddammit, I am livid. I'm enraged. I've tried to write some type of explanation as to why I'm not talking to her today - because she's sending, "Hey, why aren't you talking to me" emails. But, every time I start a note to her, it winds up really, really nasty and accusatory.

If you were me - what would you do? (getting therapy for weird photo problem is NOT an option...haha) I feel insulted, betrayed and attacked.

and REALLY, REALLY pissed.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:36 pm
@Lash,
Embarrassed
Lash

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:40 pm
@dyslexia,
Confused
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2010 09:46 pm
@Lash,
I can totally relate to your feelings. "Violence is not the answer.", I would tell myself. Still, I can't think of another answer. . . .

I agree, though. If you're mad, there isn't much point in pretending you are not.